Sports made me lose my job

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
DanTran

Sports made me lose my job

Post by DanTran »

First an introduction: I've been lurking this forum on and off for a year now, and I just got the balls to register. I like to say that I'm an apprentice of Fat Man (btw, you should write a book). My hatred of sports knows no bounds, and I believe that Fat Man's extremism is necessary in the sport saturated world that we live in.

Anyway, here is my story:

For the past two years I've been working as an accountant for a small company (around 30 employees) that specializes in mobile marketing (we're the ones spamming your cells with text messages :lol: )

Our boss is a nice enough guy, but he's a sport fanatic. In his office there are pictures of football and baseball players, autographed baseballs and a framed jersey. It made me sick when I first saw them, but I needed the job. Tim (his name) tries his best to get all of his employees to spend time with each other outside of the workplace, and he does this by getting us to hang out socially and raise money for charity. (He's pretty young, and he has an incredibly unorthodox management style, one like I have never experienced).

That's great, but here's the deal, it all involves sports!! One of the charities was to help raise money for a youth baseball organization that caters to the physically and mentally disabled. I couldn't believe that they even want to indoctrinate those less fortunate with the evils of sports!! However, much to my chagrin I participated anyway.

About 6 months later Tim announced that the company would compete with another small marketing firm across town, in a softball competition . We would raise money at this game, and this money would go to the families of several local children suffering from cancer (one of which was the son of an employee). In my opinion, I felt that any good the charity could accomplish would be outweighed by the evil of sports. I refused, I simply could not play the game of the enemy.

I guess this started a habit, I eventually stopped attending these charities and other social events. My relationship with my boss and the other employees became strained and distant. It seemed everywhere I looked, someone was mentioning sports, or talking about a game. It was miserable.

Another accountant, whom I considered a friend, asked me to attend a super bowl party (the one that just passed). I declined. He kept on going on and on how it was a company only party, and it was a good idea for me to go since I had been absent to so many other events. I reluctantly agreed to go, stupidly thinking that it couldn't be that bad.

I had been drinking a little the day of the game, and I was buzzed before I even got there. When I walked in and saw the big screen tv blaring, flickering and flashing the evil images of football, something in me snapped. I began arguing with the host (my accountant "friend") and things got ugly. Everything that I was holding in these past 2 years came rushing out. I told them all how I felt, how they were mindless drones obsessed with sports and sports culture, how I hated how our boss was pushing sports on us, and how they were all morally blind and were responsible for the ills of the world. I called them every name in the book, and it eventually got physical. The accountant seemed to be very offended, and he tried to push me out the door with this evil grin on his face. I punched the stupid grin off of that accountants face. That bastard probably had the same grin when he heard of those kids raped at Penn State!! They didn't call the cops, but I was thrown out of the house. I stopped showing up for work, and I was eventually fired. I was glad to be free from the evil regime, and was lucky enough to find a job at a major corporation that does not force it's employees to interact with each other. I still have to hear about sports, but at least I don't have to participate in them!!

Now, I'm a fair person. I blame that incident partially on my drinking. But even if I was sober, my reaction would have been the same. Living under a violent regime causes the oppressed to become violent. Our boss created an intolerable working environment, and I'm surprised nobody else cracked. I'm just lucky to have found a job so quickly, especially in this economy. (Which wouldn't be that bad if we could just take all of the millions of dollars away from sports figures!!!!!)

Whew! I really had to get this off my chest, thankfully you guys are here. Nobody else would understand.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Re: Sports made me lose my job

Post by Fat Man »

Good evening DanTran, and welcome to our anti-sports forum.

Yes, sports has ruined, and continues to ruin people's lives, and will probably continue to ruin lives.

A few years ago, a residential area in the Dallas Ft Worth area was plowed under to make parking lots for a new sports arena that they were building.

Yes, the residents were given money to compensate for loss of their homes, but it was worth less than the original property value, and some had renovated their homes, thereby actually increasing their property values.

But homes that are about to be plowed under to build a new sports arena, those homes became worth nothing, and the residents were lucky to get any small compensation at all.

I believe that's called, Immanent Domain.

I call it, kicking people out of their home, and off their land, and taking it away from them.

They also have nice sounding words for rape!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

DanTran

Post by DanTran »

Thanks for the welcome Fat Man, I've read many of your posts during my time as a casual reader.

It's sad that sports continue to ruin our lives, and even sadder that if even forces non-participants to become violent.

Looking back at it now, I'm glad that I didn't participate in those charities. It might sound harsh, but my own priorities and are much more important than charity.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

DanTran wrote:Thanks for the welcome Fat Man, I've read many of your posts during my time as a casual reader.

It's sad that sports continue to ruin our lives, and even sadder that if even forces non-participants to become violent.

Looking back at it now, I'm glad that I didn't participate in those charities. It might sound harsh, but my own priorities and are much more important than charity.
Well, last month I pledged a $5 dollar per month donation, and I'm now a member of Union of Concerned Scientists.

The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is a nonprofit science advocacy group based in the United States. The UCS membership includes many private citizens in addition to professional scientists. James J. McCarthy, Alexander Agassiz Professor of Biological Oceanography at Harvard University and past president of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, currently chairs the UCS Board of Directors.

You can learn more about them here from Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_C ... Scientists

They support science education in our schools, and have been standing up against those right-wing religious fundamentalists who are attempting to have Creationism inserted in school science text books.

Yeah! We're having a really serious problem with this in our Texas State Board of Education!

And of course . . . . .

I like to take a more radical stand against these religious fuck-tards!

Just like sports caused you to lose your job, sports caused me to be denied a decent education.

And now, we have right-wing religious whackozoids interfering with education,

Yeah! This is a new logo I designed for the Republican party!

Many of them actually believe that the earth is only 6,000 years old, and that Noah and his three sons went out all over the world bringing back polar bears from the north pole, penguins from the south pole, and kangaroos from Australia, and that they also put saddles on dinosaurs and rode them back to the ark before the floods came.

Yeah! Uh huh! It all makes perfect sense now! Doesn't it?

YEAH RIGHT!!!

And of course, giving to charities that involve religion is also a waste of good money.

Pat Robertson's 700 Club rakes in a lot of money, but their favorite charity is conservative Republicans running for political offices.

Anyway . . . . .

There are some good charities that don't involve sports or religion.

I happen to support Union of Concerned Scientist, and the CFI, Center For Inquiry.

Also, Secular Coalition For America.

Now, who the Hell am I?

Me, I'm nothing, I'm a nobody!

I'm just some poor schmuck who happens to support science education, and I like to read a lot of books.

I even have have my own channel on YouTube.

Big Fat Heretic
EVOLUTION! Doing My Part To Piss Off The Religious Right!

http://www.youtube.com/user/BigFatHeretic

I have over 180 Playlists on my channel, mostly educational videos on science, and some political videos. I even have all 13 full length episodes of COSMOS by Carl Sagan.

Please do check it out.

Anyway, once again . . . . .

There are some worthy charities out there to support that do not involve sports.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

DanTran

Post by DanTran »

I know not all charities involve sports, it's just the ones that my job catered to that made me mad.
How can you force the physically/mentally handicapped to participate in such an evil activity??

Secondly, our boss was also involved in youth sports programs in the inner-city!! Supposedly it keeps them off the streets and away from drugs and youth violence! There's more drugs (steroids) and violence in sports than on the streets! I thought it was completely immoral!

Personally, I am religious myself, and while I do support science education, I'd rather not donate to a charity that might have as much of a negative outlook on religion as you do. I'd have to do more research on their goals (and true purpose) before I give them any money. There are a slew of charities to donate give to, so that isn't a problem.

Mentioning science has reminded of another story (and a question I have for the forum) Perhaps I'll start another topic with that. :)
Earl

Post by Earl »

Dan, I'm most definitely religious, as you are. So, Fat Man is only expressing his own views here (as well as those who happen to share them). There's absolutely no correlation between one's religious or spiritual views and one's views regarding sports. The same can also be said regarding one's political views and how he views sports. Again, there's no correlation.

Fat Man, you must not always assume, just because someone shares your intense dislike of sports, that they will agree with you on all of your other views and beliefs. Such a lack of recognition of this basic fact of life is an indication of a lack of broad-mindedness.

Isn't it interesting? We're a very small group here, yet we're still diverse.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related