Annular Eclipse Of The Sun To Be Seen, Sunday, May 20,2012

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Annular Eclipse Of The Sun To Be Seen, Sunday, May 20,2012

Post by Fat Man »

There is going to be an annular eclipse of the sun which will be visible here in El Paso on Sunday, May 20,2012 starting at 6:33 PM, my local time, and the maximum phase will occur at 7:30 PM, and then, the sun will set at 7:58 PM before the eclipse is over at 8:39 PM, so, I won't be able to see the end of the eclipse, but I will get to see the maximum phase before the sun sets.

An annular eclipse is almost like a total eclipse, except the moon will not appear large enough to completely cover the sun, so, a bright ring will appear around the edge. Annular is derived from the Latin word "Annulus" for ring.

The moon appears approximately the same size as the sun, sometimes slightly smaller, and sometime slightly larger. This is because the moon revolves in an elliptical orbit around the earth, having an average distance of 238,857 miles from the earth, with the closest distance being 225,622 miles and the furthest distance being 252,088 miles.

The moon's diameter is 2,160 miles while the sun's diameter is 865,000 miles, and it's distance is about 93,000,000 miles. While the sun and moon appear about the same size, the sun's diameter is actually 400 times as great as the moon's diameter, but it's also 400 times as far away as the moon, so, that is why the sun and moon appear about the same size.

When the moon is at it's closest distance from us when passing in front of the sun, it will appear slightly larger than the sun, so, it will completely cover the sun, causing a total eclipse.

But, when the moon is at it's farthest distance from us when passing in front of the sun, it will appear slightly smaller then the sun, so, it will not completely cover the sun, thus, leaving a bright ring around the edge, causing only an annular eclipse.

And, that is what I will be seeing here in El Paso Texas on Sunday, May 20,2012 before sun set.

Now, it is perfectly safe to look up at a total eclipse of the sun when the sun is completely covered by the moon, but it is not safe to look at a partial eclipse or even annular eclipse, because even the thin ring around the edge is enough to cause damage to your eyes without proper eye protection.

So, if you're going to use a telescope, you need a good sun filter, either the small one that screws onto the eyepiece, which I don't recommend because the light from the sun focuses on the filter and the heat might cause the filter to crack. I don't think they even make eyepiece filter anymore.

It's better to have a large sun filter that covers the objective lens in front of the telescope, but the larger the objective lens, the larger the filter you will require, and the more it costs. Sun filters cost anywhere from $50 to $300 dollars depending on the size.

My Galileo brand telescope has a 60 mm objective lens with a 900 mm focal length.

This is what my telescope looks like.

But, if you don't have a sun filter, then the best, and absolute safest method, is to remove the eyepiece, and insert either a 2x or 3x Barlow lens, and project the sun's image onto a sheet of white poster-board, and just look at the projected image, as depicted in my picture below.

Yeah! I know, this is not drawn to scale. So, sue me!

This is the safest method. First, you get a sheet of stiff cardboard, put a hole in the center slightly smaller then the diameter of the focusing tube for a nice snug fit. The sheet of cardboard will cast a shadow on the ground where you'll have the sheet of white poster-board. The further away the sheet of poster-board is held from the Barlow lens, the larger the sun's image will appear, so, you can get a nice big image about 6 to 12 inches across, and you turn the focusing knobs until you get a sharp image. You can even see the sun spots before the moon finally covers the sun, and since this is going to be an annular eclipse, you will see the ring of light projected on the poster-board.

This is the absolute safest method to observe the sun with your telescope, because you don't actually look through the telescope, but only at the projected image on the white poster-board.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the annular eclipse this coming Sunday, May 20,2012 from 6:33 PM until until sunset at 7:58 PM.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Earl

Re: Annular Eclipse Of The Sun To Be Seen, Sunday, May 20,20

Post by Earl »

I didn't realize you had two astronomical events to look forward. As someone who is totally ignorant of astronomy, I appreciated your OP. I appreciated it because as a person not learned in astronomy, I could still understand what you were saying. I bet you could write a good textbook.

I've seen a college textbook or two that contained a lot of facts, but I couldn't make any sense out of them. A good teacher is able to impart knowledge to his students in such a way that they will understand the subject. A college textbook that cannot be understood by the students who take the course is not worth the money that is spent to pay for it. That statement sounds self-evident, but it's true! I once saw a college textbook on world history that fell into this category; namely, just a bunch of facts thrown together without any explanation. I even had a little difficulty reading the chapter on totalitarianism (in other words, Communism, fascism, and Naziism), even though I was already quite familiar with the subject.

I hope you're able to see the annular eclipse. I certainly hope it doesn't rain! Good luck!

I appreciate the information you've provided on how to observe this annular eclipse safely. Again, you write well on this sort of subject. :)
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Thank you very much Earl!

And don't forget, there is going to be a transit of Venus across the face of the sun on June 5,2012 and there won't be another one again until December 11,2117 about 105 years from now.

WOW! You say that I can explain Astronomy in such a way to make it easier for people to understand, who normally have little or no understanding of the subject.

Hey! That gives me an idea.

Maybe I could write some kind of layman's guide to astronomy, and under my author name, it would say, I'm not a professional with any degree, but just some poor schmuck who loves science!

Yeah! That's the ticket!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

[UPDATE]

In celebration of this Sunday's annular eclipse of the sun, which I will see here in El Paso Texas from 6:33 PM to sunset at 7:58 PM, to this special event, I dedicate this song.

Bonnie Tyler - total eclipse of the heart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-sCrhRPCMg

TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART (Bonnie Tyler )

Turnaround, every now and then I get a
little bit lonely and you're never coming around
Turnaround, Every now and then I get a
little bit tired of listening to the sound of my tears
little bit nervous that the best of all the years have gone by
little bit terrified and then I see the look in your eyes
Turnaround bright eyes, Every now and
then I fall apart
then I fall apart

little bit restless and I dream of something wild
little bit helpless and I'm lying like a child in your arms
little bit angry and I know I've got to get out and cry
little bit terrified but then I see the look in your eyes
then I fall apart
then I fall apart

And I need you now tonight
And I need you more than ever
And if you'll only hold me tight
We'll be holding on forever
And we'll only be making it right
Cause we'll never be wrong together
We can take it to the end of the line
Your love is like a shadow on me all of the time
I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark
We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks
I really need you tonight
Forever's gonna start tonight

Once upon a time I was falling in love
But now I'm only falling apart
There's nothing I can do
A total eclipse of the heart

Once upon a time there was light in my life
But now there's only love in the dark
Nothing I can say

Turnaround bright eyes
Turnaround bright eyes
Turnaround, every now and then I know
you'll never be the boy you always you wanted to be
you'll always be the only boy who wanted me the way that I am
there's no one in the universe as magical and wonderous as you
there's nothing any better and there's nothing I just wouldn't do
then I fall apart
then I fall apart

And I need you now tonight
And I need you more than ever
And if you'll only hold me tight
We'll be holding on forever
And we'll only be making it right
Cause we'll never be wrong together
We can take it to the end of the line
Your love is like a shadow on me all of the time
I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark
We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks
I really need you tonight

Once upon a time I was falling in love
But now I'm only falling apart
There's nothing I can do

Once upon a time there was light in my life
But now there's only love in the dark
Nothing I can say

Well, of course, it's not going to be exactly a total eclipse of the sun, but the second closest thing to it, since it's only going to be an annular eclipse, because the moon being at it furthest distance for the earth, the moon will appear too small to completely cover the sun, so, a bright ring will appear around the edge of the black circle of the moon.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this event.

Mrs. Earl

Post by Mrs. Earl »

You do write very well when you are not ranting. When you rant it begins to get boring but when you talk about a subject like astronomy you can make it very interesting. Your idea of writing a book sounds like an excellent idea. Maybe you could also write a book on astronomy for children. My sister recently taught a co-op class on astronomy for homeschoolers. She was amazed at how boring the books were and how little they used resources like NASA. She said that the kids' faces lit up when she showed them some of the NASA pictures. So, there is a need for such a book. But if I might make a suggestion. If you do write such a book, refrain from ridiculing people who believe the Bible. There are an awful lot of homeschool kids who love astronomy but also love the Bible. I doubt if their parents would be willing to buy a book that ridiculed their beliefs.
ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

Fat Man & Mrs. Earl:

When I was in that Bible-based cult about 20 years ago, one of the "proofs" of creationism they gave was that during a solar eclipse, the moon is just the right size to cover the sun; therefore, God had to have created it that way. However, an annular eclipse seems to disprove that -- the moon doesn't cover the sun unless it's close enough (although I don't think the lunar disk ever appears larger than the solar disk, correct me if I'm wrong?)
Mrs. Earl

Post by Mrs. Earl »

Hello, ChrisOH.
ChrisOH wrote:When I was in that Bible-based cult about 20 years ago, one of the "proofs" of creationism they gave was that during a solar eclipse, the moon is just the right size to cover the sun; therefore, God had to have created it that way.

I believe in the Biblical account of creation but I can't even begin to understand how this was supposed to prove it. This reasoning reminds me of our elder daughter's biology professor who very much believed in evolution and who used as proof that there is no difference between humans and animals the fact that he was not good at math. Of course, this guy also asserted that humans do not get calcium from milk. It just goes to show that some people should not be allowed to represent their side in an argument.
ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

Mrs. Earl wrote:
ChrisOH wrote:When I was in that Bible-based cult about 20 years ago, one of the "proofs" of creationism they gave was that during a solar eclipse, the moon is just the right size to cover the sun; therefore, God had to have created it that way.

I believe in the Biblical account of creation but I can't even begin to understand how this was supposed to prove it. This reasoning reminds me of our elder daughter's biology professor who very much believed in evolution and who used as proof that there is no difference between humans and animals the fact that he was not good at math. Of course, this guy also asserted that humans do not get calcium from milk. It just goes to show that some people should not be allowed to represent their side in an argument.
It was supposed to something akin to Ray Comfort's "banana theory" -- i.e. that bananas "fit perfectly" into a person's hand and mouth, so God had to have created them that way. Same way with the solar eclipse -- since the moon "fit perfectly" over the sun, God had to make it that way, since God is supposed to be "orderly" and "perfect" in every way.

That's something I find curious about "creation science" -- doesn't the Bible say that "faith is the evidence of things not seen" (in Hebrews) and "blessed are those who have not seen and yet believed" (Jesus' words to "Doubting Thomas")? If faith alone is supposed to be a virtue, why do the creationists need to invent flimsy ideas to "prove" what they believe, instead of just believing it unconditionally? Perhaps their faith is not as strong as they would like us to believe?
Mrs. Earl

Post by Mrs. Earl »

Our younger daughter played a video of Ray Comfort and his banana theory. I didnâ??t know whether to laugh or cry. At first we thought he had to be joking but then we came to the sad conclusion that he was serious.

You are absolutely right when you point out that the Bible says â??But without faith, it is impossible to please God, for those who come to Him must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.â? So, those who attempt to prove the Bible are wasting their time. There is a difference, however, between proving the Bible and defending it against charges of inaccuracy. I think a failure to distinguish between the two is why some people fall into Ray Comfortsâ?? error. I would also like to point out that â??having faithâ? and â??throwing your brain out the windowâ? are not synonymous terms. Faith is not â??a leap in the dark by the light of the moon.â? I would go on pontificating, but I donâ??t want to derail this thread anymore, so I will save my pontificating for the Noahâ??s Ark thread Fat Man started.