Partial Eclipse Of The Moon June 4,2012

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Partial Eclipse Of The Moon June 4,2012

Post by Fat Man »

WOW! The year 2012 is really shaping up to be a rather interesting year.

First, I got to see the annular eclipse of the sun on Sunday, May 20,2012 but from where I was at, the sun had set just minutes before the complete ring of light would have been visible, but I did get to see the sun as a thin crescent just before it set.

Then, on June 5,2012 there will be a transit of Venus across the face of the sun.

I had posted about this in two previous topics.

And soon, on June 4,2012 there will be a partial eclipse of the moon.

Yeah! Three astronomical events within two weeks! Actually, within 15 days.

I did a Google search to find out when this will occur in my local time here in El Paso, Texas.
Time of Lunar Eclipse in El Paso, Texas on June 4,2012 (in local time)

Penumbral eclipse begins at 1:48 AM - visible

Partial Eclipse begins at 3:00 AM - visible

Mid (Maximum) Lunar Eclipse at 4:03 AM - visible

Partial Eclipse ends at 5:06 AM - not visible

Penumbral eclipse ends as 6:18 AM - not visible
Well, I will get to see most of the eclipse, but the moon will set before the eclipse is over.

And of course, it will only be a partial eclipse, so, the moon will only be about half-way covered by the dark copper brown shadow cast by the earth onto the moon during it's maximum phase.

So, it's really no big deal, compared to the total lunar eclipse I saw a couple of years ago when the entire moon was completely covered by the earth's shadow.

Oh well, there will be other eclipses to watch eventually.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

ChrisOH

Re: Partial Eclipse Of The Moon June 4,2012

Post by ChrisOH »

Yes, 2012 is quite an active year in celestial events. The transit of Venus, from what I've been hearing, will attract around 10,000 people in downtown Cleveland at the Lake Erie shore, assuming clear enough skies. (I am a member of a smaller club that is planning a smaller event, in the hopes of avoiding huge crowds and parking headaches.)

Hopefully these events will spur an interest in astronomy, or just science in general, among younger people. I belong to several clubs (local Audubon Society chapter, astronomy club, men's book club, and coin-collecting club) and a recurring issue among all of them is "attracting younger members to our club/hobby". (I'm one of the youngest in each, and I'll be 42 this year! :| )
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

ChrisOH wrote: . . . . . and a recurring issue among all of them is "attracting younger members to our club/hobby". (I'm one of the youngest in each, and I'll be 42 this year! :| )
Yes, I know what you mean.

It's just a damn shame that more young people aren't as interested in joining a science club, or a book club.

All they care about is sports.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

[UPDATE]

Here's an interesting little tidbit!

The full moon that will be seen on June 4th is known here in the USA as, The Strawberry Moon.

According to Native American folklore it's the Strawberry Moon, so-called because the short season for harvesting strawberries comes during the month of June.

Yeah! And the earth's shadow passing over the surface, will be taking a nice big bite out of the Strawberry Moon.

I just found out that the earth's shadow will only cover less than half of the moon, being that it's only going to be a partial eclipse.

Now, I have a craving for strawberries.

With whipped cream!

Earl

Post by Earl »

Well, then, have some ...

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

Earl wrote:Well, then, have some ...

Oh! I will!!! I will!!!

I'm going to have a bowl of strawberries with whipped cream on top while watching the partial eclipse of the moon!

You know, when I see close up photos of the moon with all those craters on the surface, I get a craving for slices of Swiss cheese!

And when I look at pictures on Io, one of the four Galilean moons of Jupiter, because of they yellow, orange, and red colors, and the dark spots, I get a craving for pepperoni pizza, because the surface of Io looks almost like a pizza!

Whoops! There I go, thinking of food again!