Photos Of Me Observing Transit Of Venus At Starbucks

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Photos Of Me Observing Transit Of Venus At Starbucks

Post by Fat Man »

Well, I had an excellent day observing the transit of Venus with my telescope on the patio at Starbucks.

I had left my apartment at 2:00 PM in the afternoon and got on the bus around 2:15 PM to the downtown terminal. Then I transferred to another bus at 2:45 PM which took me up Mesa Street. It was about 3:20 when I arrived at Starbucks where I had announced that my telescope would be set up on the patio. Then I ordered a nice cold chocolate coffee Frappuccino for over $5 dollars, and went out to set up my telescope.

It was very hot this afternoon, about 98 degrees, and the employers at Starbucks would come out to ask me if I needed anything, so I just asked for cold ice water. They were very accommodating.

As new customers arrived, they walked by to see the image of the sun with the transit of Venus, and asked questions which I was very happy to answer.

One customer bought me a nice cold Passion Fruit Ice Tea.

The transit of Venus started at about 4:07 PM when I could see Venus starting to take a small bite out of the edge of the sun, and I sat there out in the sun until about 7:45 PM. New customers would walk by before entering Starbucks and as some customers were leaving, the would stop and look before going to their cars.

Everyone there was interested in seeing the transit of Venus across the face of the sun, and some stopped to take pictures of me and my telescope, and the projected images of the sun. They requested my E-mail address so that they could send me the attachments.

It was about 7:45 PM when I went back into Starbucks to order a tall Dark Roast Coffee, and as I was taking out my debit card to pay for my coffee, the young lady behind the counter said "Put your card away! This one's on the house! And thank you for sharing your observations with everyone here!" so, I got a free Dark Roast Coffee on the house, and then, I went back to the bus stop to head for home.

Anyway . . . . . . .

When I came home about 9:30 PM, I logged onto my computer, and checked my E-mail, and sure enough, I received the following pictures below.

Of course, the images were more than 3000 pixels wide, so I had to use my Photo Base 3 software to copy the photos, and then reduce the size of the copied images to 800 pixels wide so I can post them here.

So, here they are! Yeah! I'm really fat alright!

Here I am adjusting the focus on my Galileo telescope and projecting the sun's image onto a white screen. Notice the black foam-board circle mounted onto the focusing tube to cast a shadow onto the white screen.

In this photo, you can just barely see the small dot of Venus on the face of the sun. I'm not using an eyepiece. Instead I'm using a 2x Barlow lens in the focusing tube where an eyepiece is normally attached.

Once I get the image in sharp focus, I then move the white screen further away from the 2x Barlow lens so that the image will appear larger, but less bright.

While I could see the sun spots and the dark circle of Venus, it can't be seen in these reduced photos.

Here, I cropped out a small section from the larger photos originally 3000 pixels wide.

Notice, that in the close up, the planet Venus can be more easily seen as it moves across the face of the sun.

These photos were taken with an iPod and when they asked for my E-mail address, they immediately sent the attachments which would be ready for me to view when I got home and logged into my computer.

Well, anyway . . . . .

I had a really great day today, and there won't be another day like this until until December 11,2117 about 105 years from now.

So . . . . . talk about striking while the iron is still hot! Eh?

I shall have some really fond memories of this day for the rest of my life.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

HugeFanOfBadReligion

Re: Photos Of Me Observing Transit Of Venus At Starbucks

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

Hello Fat Man, it seems the customers at Starbucks really appreciated you setting up your telescope for everyone to see the transit. I wish there was someone I knew about in my city that did the same thing, as it would have been interesting to see it projected through a telescope. Nevertheless I still managed to enjoy the transit.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

Cool. I never got to see it (had no idea what to do, to be honest), so thanks for the pictures!
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

Excellent pictures, Fat Man! Thanks for posting them! :)

I went with my wife and one of my friends last night to a MetroPark near Cleveland called Observatory Park, which is still new and hasn't "officially" opened yet, but the park staff had kind of a "sneak peek" for the transit of Venus viewing. Many folks from the astronomy club I'm in came, and there were about 20 telescopes set up by different people, as well as solar glasses and projections similar to Fat Man's available to view the transit with. It didn't start until 6:05 p.m. here in Ohio, so we had a little less time to view it (the sun set behind the trees about 8:40) but the clouds cleared and we got an almost perfect view of it from all the devices.

My friend brought a piece of welder's glass (like what is used in welder's helmets -- one guy actually brought a full helmet to view it through!) and we could see it with the naked eye, although it took a few seconds to focus our eyes and see the small dot of Venus. (For anyone who wants to view solar events such as eclipses in the future, this glass can be bought at a welder's supply store for about three or four dollars -- but it NEEDS to be shade 14 according to NASA, and no lower number, to safely protect your eyes from ultraviolet light of the sun.

Here's a video of the local NBC-TV affiliate's coverage of the event:

http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/247311 ... nus-gazers

and a link to Observatory Park's site:

http://www.geaugaparkdistrict.org/observatorypark.shtml

To Fat Man, HugeFan, and others who were able to catch it, yes, definitely a night worth remembering!
Earl

Post by Earl »

Wow! :D Congratulations, Fat Man! I'm so delighted that everything went well. I'm sure glad El Paso did not experience rain during this once-in-a-lifetime astronomical event.

Thank you very much for your astronomy topics. They're a refreshing departure from all the ugliness that's in the world. Although I know next to nothing about astronomy, I still have a deep appreciation for the physical universe, which contains a lot of beauty we mortals can appreciate. Speaking as someone who should have become a herpetologist, beauty can be found even (or, in my opinion, especially) among reptiles and amphibians.

Thanks for going to the trouble of sharing these photographs with us. I've enjoyed reading this thread, which tells a really nice story. Your adventure in astronomy turned out to be a community event! I was pleased to read about the kindness of strangers who were willing to e-mail you photos they had taken of you and your telescope.

Thanks again for this nice story! I'm sure Mrs. Earl will enjoy hearing someone (either me or Earlette No. 2) read it to her. If this topic were posted in A2K, I'd definitely give it a "thumbs up"! :) 8)
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Brigan

Post by Brigan »

Out-standing Fat Man. great Job.

That hat and glasses makes you look like a College Astronomy teacher

Great Job. indeed.
i_like_1981 wrote:I respect a person who uses the knowledge they have of our language to come onto a forum with an opposing view and attempt to have a decent discussion. He's trying his best. Defend your points all you want, Fat Man, but it's unfair to insult his English skills when he's not a native speaker and is trying his hardest to communicate with us.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Brigan wrote:Out-standing Fat Man. great Job.

That hat and glasses makes you look like a College Astronomy teacher

Great Job. indeed.
Thank you very much.

I really appreciate that.

I sure enjoyed my day yesterday.

Yes, it was hot, and I sat out there in the hot sun from about 3:30 PM to 7:45 PM, and I was sweating buckets, and loved every minute of it.

When I finally came home, I was hot and tired, but perfectly happy and contented.

You know, I almost felt like a teacher out there. People were asking me questions which I was more than happy to answer. I had my notebook with me, and I had written down all the dates from the past when previous transits were observed, and dates into the far future, like ten-thousand years, when more transits will be seen. Yeah, I found that information while doing a Google search for future dates. Of course, I didn't write down all those dates. I only went as far as the 3000s.

Anyway . . .

One young lady, before asking me a question she said "I know this might sound like a dumb question, but . . . etc. etc." and I said that there is no such thing as a dumb question, that when people ask questions, it's because they want to know things.

Only dumb people don't ask questions. Smart people ask questions, even if they think a question might be dumb, just the fact that they're asking questions, indicates to me they're not dumb, maybe misinformed on something, but not dumb.

Yes, I almost felt like a teacher out there. Some had even asked me if I were a teacher.

I wish I were a teacher. One has to get a degree in education to be qualified to teach, but maybe I could be a substitute teacher. I have to find out what my qualifications would be.

I would love to be an Astronomy teacher, or at least a substitute teacher.

Anyway . . . . .

Thank you for your comment.

I truly appreciated it.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Mrs. Earl

Post by Mrs. Earl »

Hello, Fat Man. :) Earl was right. I did greatly enjoy hearing this story. Speaking as a teacher myself, I just want to say that even though you may not be certified to teach, Tuesday you were a teacher. That was a very nice thing you did for those people.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

Good evening one and all!!!

I want to thank everyone here for posting your comments, yes, even you Brigan!

I'm so happy you all enjoyed reading my topic, and I thank you for your responses.

OK, I have been doing a Google search to find out when the next total eclipse of the sun will be visible in the state of Texas.

It will be on April 8,2024 but the moon's shadow on the earth will miss El Paso entirely, so I won't be able to see it from here.

I have 12 years to prepare for it, and I will be 72 years old.

I don't know if Greyhound or Continental can accommodate a passenger who needs to get around in a power chair, so I'll probably have to take AMTRAK to Dallas Texas which will be in the path of the moon's shadow. I think AMTRAK can accommodate both me, my power chair, and my telescope. I might even have a better telescope by then.

Well, that would be cool, since I haven't been on a train since I was 7 years old, so, I'll be looking forward to riding on a train again.

Of course, a lot can happen in 12 years, but I have been living here in this apartment building for almost 11 years, and my health has not declined very much except for the arthritis in my knees and ankles, and my left wrist sometimes wakes me up and I have to take Aspirin for the pain.

But, other than that, I feel fine.

There will be other total solar eclipses before that one, but none of them will be near enough to where I can afford to travel. But I will be able to save up for a two way train ticket to Dallas and back and stay in a motel over night before the return trip back home.

Or, if I have to just sit in a railroad depot overnight, well, that's OK. I won't mind.

I think railroad depots are kind of cool anyway. I can just sit out there on the platform watching the choo-choos going by until my train comes for my return trip home. I love watching trains and counting the cars. I love the sight, the sound, and the smell of a train. Yeah! The smell of diesel gives me itchy feet and makes we want to travel somewhere.

When I was a kid living up in Minnesota, the ore trains would speed through coming down from the iron mines up north. The longest train I ever saw had 7 locomotives, 350 gondolas loaded with iron ore, and 2 cabooses, and it was booming along at over 90 miles per hour!

Well, anyway . . . . .

I have 12 years to prepare for the next total eclipse of the sun here in Texas and I'll be looking forward to taking a train to Dallas to watch the eclipse.

I love observing astronomical events, and . . . . . I love dem choo-choos!!!

ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

Fat Man, love the updated user avatar and signature photo! :wink:
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

ChrisOH wrote:Fat Man, love the updated user avatar and signature photo! :wink:
Thank you very much!

Yeah, I also think it's much better than the old avatar, myself.

In the new one, I'm actually doing something.

I had to do some work on my telescope to get it properly set up.

When I got my 2x Barlow lens from High Point Scientific, it was too big to fit into the focusing tube, so I had to make an adapter to connect the 2x Barlow lens to the focusing tube.

I went to a Home Depot, bought a 2 foot length of white PVC water pipe, which was longer than I actually needed, but it was the shortest length I could buy. Then I cut three inches off of it.

Of course, the inside diameter was a little bit too large, so I had to use some duct tape around the end of the focusing tube and around the end of the 2x Barlow lens tube for a snug fit which would be inserted into the other end of the three inch section of PVC pipe.

Then before I assembled it, I spray painted the short three inch piece white PVC pipe with glossy black spray paint, then I let it dry over night, before putting it together. Spay painting it made it look much nicer, like it belongs there.

I also put a small hole in the side of the PVC adapter close to the end that went over the focusing tube so that the set screw would hold it in place and keep it from slipping off.

Here is a close up of the focusing mount on my Galileo telescope.

Now, because my 2x Barlow lens is flat on one side, and concave on the other side, then, it's a Negative Lens, so has to be focused forward, or inside the focal plane of the main objective lens.

A Negative Lens is either flat on one side and concave on the other side (Plano Concave) and, if a lens is concave on both sides (Double Concave) and, if both concave sides have the same radius of curvature, it's a Symmetric Double Concave lens, and if one of the concave sides has a shorter radius of curvature, then it's an Asymmetric Double Concave lens. And, if the lens is concave on one side, and convex on the other side, and if the concave side has a shorter radius of curvature so that the lens is thinner in the middle and thicker around the edge, then, it's a Negative Meniscus lens, like the lenses in my eyeglass that correct my vision for near-sightedness, being thinner in the middle and thicker along the edge.

When I was 15 years old, I had a smaller telescope made by TASCO which my parents bought from a Toys By Roy in Las Cruces, New Mexico.

It had a Positive Barlow lens, having a lens that was convex on both sides, so the Barlow lens had to be outside of the focal plane to focus properly.

A Positive Lens is either flat on one side, and convex on the other side (Plano Convex) or it can be convex on both sides (Double Convex) and if both sides have the same radius of curvature, it's a Symmetric Double Convex lens, and if one of the convex sides has a shorter radius of curvature, it's an Asymmetric Double Convex lens. And if the lens is concave on one side, and convex on the other side, and if the convex side has a shorter radius of curvature so that the lens is thicker in the middle, and thinner along the edge, then it's a Positive Meniscus lens, sort of like the eyeglass lenses that my stepfather had to use after he had cataract surgery done on his eyes. Also, he was far-sighted, not needing glasses to see in the distance, but needing glasses to read.

The next picture below show an example of a Negative Barlow Lens, and a Positive Barlow Lens being used on a telescope.

Then, if you insert the eyepiece into the Barlow lens, it will double or triple the magnifying power of your telescope depending if it's a 2x Barlow or 3x Barlow.

But, if you remove the eyepiece, and just use the Barlow lens, it will focus a projected image of the sun onto a white screen, which is the method I used to observe the transit of Venus on the face of the sun.

You notice that a good refractor telescope has a double-element air spaced objective lens, unlike cheap toy refractor telescopes with a single-element objective lens. This is to correct Chromatic Aberration, because a common problem with lenses is that not all the wavelengths of light comes to a single focus, so in cheap toy telescopes, you'll see a rainbow-like colored fringe around the edge of objects, like the moon or planets. So, the objective lens must be a double-element lens, with the two lenses made of two different types of glass with different densities so that all wavelengths of light are brought to the same focus, thus, eliminating Chromatic Aberration.

Now, reflector telescopes, using a concave mirror, do not have that problem. All wavelengths of light are brought to the same focal point, but there is a problem with Spherical Aberration where for example: if you're looking at the moon, the edge rays and the center rays do not come to the same focus. If you focus to see a sharp edge on the moon, then the center is a little bit fuzzy, and if you focus to bring the center into sharp focus, then the edge looks fuzzy. The way to correct that, is when the mirror is being polished, the center must be deepened slightly by a few millionths on an inch so that instead of a spherical curvature, it's a paraboloid.

A typical Newtonian Reflector has a flat diagonal mirror at a 45 degree angle inside the focal length of the main concave mirror to reflect the light through a hole in the side of the tube out to the eyepiece.

A Cassegrain Telescope has a hole in the center of the main concave mirror, and a small convex mirror beyond the focal length of the main mirror, to reflect the light back down to the large mirror, through the hole in the mirror to the eyepiece. The smaller convex mirror extends the effective focal length of the main mirror.

For example: You have a reflector telescope with an 8 inch concave mirror with an f6 focal length, that's 6 times the diameter of the mirror or 48 inches. The 8 inch mirror has a 2 inch hole in the center, and you have a small convex mirror beyond the focal point of the main mirror.

Now, depending of the radius of curvature of the smaller convex mirror, and the distance beyond the focal length of the main mirror, you can have an effective focal length much greater than f6, like an f20 or even greater, even though, physically, the telescope is only 48 inches long, the effective focal length can be as if it were 20 feet or more in it's magnifying power.

A Gregorian telescope works the same way, only it uses a smaller concave mirror inside the focal length of the main mirror instead of beyond the focal length.

Anyway, the Barlow lens increases the effective focal length of the objective lens without actually increasing the physical focal length of the main objective lens, or mirror, as in reflector telescopes.

And of course, if you were to build your own telescope, a reflector telescope is easier because you only have the one concave optical surface to grind and polish, whereas, if you were building a refractor telescope, you would have four optical surfaces to grind and polish for the double element objective lens.

That's why, most amateur telescope builders prefer to build reflector telescopes instead.

Also, you can build a much larger reflector telescope for your money. A good 8 inch reflector costs no more than a good 2 inch refractor, and it's even cheaper to build one yourself.

A telescope is essentially a light bucket. The greater the diameter of the lens or mirror (the bigger the bucket) the more light it can gather to bring to a focus, and the brighter the image, such that, with a larger telescope, at night, you can observe distant star clusters that are much too dim to be seen with a smaller telescope.

Reflectors telescopes are the big guns that give you more bang for the buck!

rotten

Post by rotten »

Wow! Great story! It's amazing how many people have never seen anything like a telescope. You've given more worthwhile education at a coffee shop in a few minutes then every sporting event ever combined.

Great photos too! The hat looks great on you!
Where the gym teacher was always mad, And as far as we could tell, he only exercised his right to yell - Josh Joplin Group- Dutch Wonderland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, coach.