Women Seeking Abortions More Likely To Be Victims Of Abuse

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Women Seeking Abortions More Likely To Be Victims Of Abuse

Post by Fat Man »

OK, Recently the U.S. Representative for Missouri's 2nd congressional district, William Todd Akin, who believes abortion should be illegal even in cases of rape, recently commented â??if itâ??s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.â?

Well, here is some scientific evidence that proves the Todd Akin is full of bullshit!!!

Please do check out the following article from AlterNet.

http://www.alternet.org/hot-news-views/ ... 96863&t=21
STUDY: Women Seeking Abortions Are Seven
Times More Likely To Be Victims Of Abuse

In contrast to Rep. Todd Akinâ??s (R-MO) offensive comments that â??legitimate rapeâ? doesnâ??t lead to pregnancy, a new study from the Guttmacher Institute finds that pregnant women who seek abortions are actually more likely to have experienced a traumatic event like sexual abuse. In fact, the findings suggest the number of women seeking to terminate a pregnancy have experienced intimate partner violence â?? defined as sexual or physical abuse at the hands of a significant other â?? is seven times higher than the national average for domestic violence.

The study, released Monday, sought to investigate why low-income women are more likely to terminate a pregnancy than women at higher income levels. It found that poorer women experienced a greater number of â??disruptive life eventsâ? â?? such as losing a job, ending a relationship, or suffering abuse â?? that contributed to their decision to seek an abortion. Fifty eight percent of respondents cited a disruptive life event within the year that preceded their abortion, including intimate partner violence that led to an unplanned pregnancy:

Seven percent of the women surveyed by Guttmacher after seeking an abortion reported that they had been physically or sexually abused by the man with whom they became pregnant. National surveys have found that slightly more than one percent of US women report abuse at the hands of their partners.

Poor women, meanwhile, were twice as likely to say they had been physically or sexually abused by the man who impregnated them than abortion-seekers with higher incomes (9.3 percent versus 4.4 percent).

Despite the fact that far-right lawmakers like Akin tout junk science to underscore the anti-choice viewpoint that women are never justified in seeking an abortion, suggesting that sexual assault somehow canâ??t result in unwanted pregnancies, the actual science says otherwise. Even though women who seek abortions are vastly more likely to have suffered domestic abuse from the man who impregnated them, the official Republican party platform endorses a stringent anti-abortion amendment to the Constitution that does not include an exception in the cases of rape or incest.

Think Progress / By Tara Culp-Ressler | Sourced from Think Progress
Posted at August 21, 2012, 8:19am
Now, getting back to Tod Akin's moronic comment . . . . . â??if itâ??s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.â?

OK, while it is true that female ducks have evolved in such a way that they now have a biological anti-pregnancy response to forced sex, human beings most definitely have NOT.

So, either Republicans can't tell the difference between female humans and female ducks, or perhaps, they believe that female humans have duck vaginas!

Either way, Republicans (think?) like this because they are anti-science QUACKS!!!

Actually, Republicans don't think, they believe!

There is a difference between believing, thinking, or accepting.

For example: I don't "believe" in evolution, But rather, I "accept" evolution, based on the scientific evidence that supports it.

And a "theory" is not mere conjecture. In science, a "theory" is based on observable facts.

And according to medical science, women can and do get pregnant from rape! There is no biological mechanism in female humans that inhibits pregnancy from forced sexual contact, as there is in female ducks!

So, in conclusion . . . . .

If you can't tell the difference from a woman and a duck, then . . . . .

. . . you're probably a REPUBLICAN!!!

But then, of course, Republicans reject science, and believe in moronic and childish fairy tales.

I think the Republican party should be renamed . . . THE LEAGUE OF 250 POUND ADULT FAIRY TALE BELIEVERS or something like that!

And there is no worse bully, than a full grown adult retard who believes in fairy tales!

That's were we get our football players.

Oh gee! Am I being cynical again?

I certainly hope so.

Because I love being cynical!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!