The Month of Hell begins

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
recovering_fan

Re: The Month of Hell begins

Post by recovering_fan »

Hi Jerry,
:D

(Warning: there may be some levity in this post, but it is meant to brighten your mood.)

First off, let me apologize for posting tonight about something as stupid as which hobbit people here liked the best (in the Games forum) while your conversation was taking place in this forum. That probably looked pretty callous of me, but I swear I did not know about this thread, nor did I know that anyone had responded to Fat Man's post about "baseball." I was wilfully ignoring Fat Man's "baseball" thread, because I do not feel that people who are making minimum wage should be treated like that.

Hopefully you haven't left the forum yet but are able to read this ... and even reply? :)

To answer some remarks you made on Monday night:
Jerry McGuire wrote: ...some of you people even tried to poke holes in a football player's attempts at charity to underprivileged people living with AIDS in Africa! I have no story like that, no interesting tidbit; I'm simply a nerdy college student who likes to watch sports, I'm completely unremarkable in every way imaginable.
I have to ask you one thing, man: do you respect the football player because he plays football, or is it because of his charity work? If it's because of the guy's charity work, then I have to admit that you are right to admire him. But if that's how you feel, then why do you care about whether his sports team wins in the football game or not? Wouldn't it make more sense to cheer for his charitable cause? If you cheered for that team you could actually join his team instead of just watching it. Then, like that football player, you would be one of the "remarkable" people.

I mean, look, clearly you have some real passion for changing things, right? Otherwise, why are you trying so hard right now to change our minds about sports?
I fear unfortunately that that means my voice is effectively silenced before I can even speak. I must say, it is rather hypocritical of many of you to be alienated by sports, bullied, or harassed, yet be equally as closed minded when it comes to talking about your fellow man.
Please understand that many of us at this forum are constantly hearing, wherever we go, about how professional athletes are better than we are. We get tired of it. We hear what people are saying, and yet we still disagree. If we heard it a million times we would not agree. Sorry. :)
I'll take your advice and "suck on a hockey puck".
No! :|

Sincerely,
recovering_fan

PS--I understand how someone, like yourself, can watch sports and not be an addict. Watching one game on Thursday night and another on Saturday night is cool. Sure. But sometimes I would lose entire Saturdays to college football. Some people just cannot watch TV responsibly, so now I don't watch TV at all. :(
Last edited by recovering_fan on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

recovering_fan wrote:First off, let me apologize for posting tonight about something as stupid as which hobbit people here liked the best (in the Games forum) while your conversation was taking place in this forum. That probably looked pretty callous of me, but I swear I did not know about this thread, nor did I know that anyone had responded to Fat Man's post about "baseball." I was wilfully ignoring Fat Man's "baseball" thread, because I do not feel that people who are making minimum wage should be treated like that.
Well, if you had read my last post in my Baseball topic in response to Earl, this is what I said toward the botton on my most recent post.
OK, I need to add . . . . .

You're right about my putting down Jerry's father.

No, I don't look down on people who work in restaurants, providing they do a good job.

I have often said that I have far more respect for a janitor, or the guy who drives a garbage truck than I have for overpaid football players.

I believe that no matter what kind of job you do, one should strive to do the job well.

If you drive a garbage truck, then strive to be the best garbage truck driver you can be.

If you are a janitor, then strive to be the best janitor you can be.

And if you're a burger flipper in a fast food restaurant, then strive to be the best burger flipper you can be.

A good restaurant staff is willing to listen to customers complaints and do something to correct the problem.

When Jerry said that his father would have made me leave, that infuriated me, because as a paying customer, I have a right to voice my complaint, and a right to expect a clean restroom, and should not be told to leave just for complaining about a dirty restroom.

I got angry at the McDonald's, because after complaining three times, nothing was done.

The first two times, I was polite, but after the third time, well, you know, three strikes and you're out as far as I'm concerned.

I only want to get what I pay for.
So, I'm not down on people who work for minimum wage in a restaurant, as long as they do a good job to the best of their abilities.

I don't expect total perfection.

I've eaten in a lot of restaurants, and if the food is good, and the restrooms are clean, I leave a tip and I thank them for their good service.

But if the food sucks, and the restrooms are a pig sty, and they refuse to clean up the restrooms, then they don't deserve any respect.

I expect decent service, and I expect clean restrooms, because that is what I paid for.

Just like when I was going to high school, I expected my science teacher to teach science, and not set up a movie projector to show stupid cartoon while he goes out to coach a football team.

So, I'm saying, just do your job and give me what I pay for.

Otherwise they are just thieves ripping me off!

OK?
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Lewis

Post by Lewis »

Thank God England wasn't chosen as the 2018 World Cup hosts! It would have been hellish.
The Imperialist

Post by The Imperialist »

Too bad Japan wasn't chosen. We could have done that hologram thing in the stadium, and make people envious of GLORIOUS technology.

(And I wouldn't mind, because at the least Japan doesn't have jockiness, and sports fans are not aggressive, drunkard and civil-disobedience type like their counterparts around the world)
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

It looks as though England aren't going to be hosting any World Cups before 2034... by which time, I'm going to be 53 years old. WOW! That is quite amazing, because I frankly can't even imagine being that old at the moment. It seems incredibly far away to me. And they'll probably fail to get that one as well. I suppose it does give some food for thought... what will the world be like then? Will people still care as much for football then? Will there even be people playing football anymore or will robots be doing all the playing by then? (I suppose it'll cut down on the IMMENSE salaries if robots are built to play the games, but robotics at the moment just aren't anywhere near that stage.)

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.