The Month of Hell begins

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Agent 47

Re: The Month of Hell begins

Post by Agent 47 »

Lewis wrote:It's finally over! :D No more football for another 2 years!

To mark its passing here are the highlights of the World Cup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi1BcouEmio
Ha ha!

I installed the latest version of a flash video downloader onto my computer, just to save a copy of that World Cup Highlights video.

It's definitely one for the archives!
"We can’t find a healthy brain in an ex-football player."

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2873539.htm
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Well, I'm just glad it's over. It's only odd-numbered years when there are no major football tournaments happening. Every four years we have the World Suck, but here in Europe, we have the Euro Football Championship in between every World Suck (the last one was in 2008 and the next one will be 2012). So only two years left for us sports-hating Europeans before the pointless insanity begins again! But I'm sure that you non-Europeans have plenty of other major national sporting events to worry about. I hope England do as well in the next Euro championship as they did in the last one two years ago, i.e. fail in the qualifiers and not even get into the actual tournament! What a laugh I had then.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

abitagirl wrote:
Lewis wrote:It's finally over! :D No more football for another 2 years!

To mark its passing here are the highlights of the World Cup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi1BcouEmio

No football for 2 years? Damn, I wish that was the case here! Instead it's football every year, and for months (OK, not really the same sport, but still).

Are you sure that video isn't the highlights of the Stupor Bore? It looks the same.
Yeah we only get two years of freedom (though the premiership happens every year and takes up 9 months of the year). So really we only get three months of freedom, sad state of affairs really.

Another intresting thing that happened this World Cup was Paul the Octopus (A psychic octopus) received death threats after predicting that a team would lose: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEnhiJRep3g

Its a mad, mad world.
The Imperialist

Post by The Imperialist »

For me, I only watch the World Cup to see the glory of Japan.

(Well, and the jock/nerd conflict is not as big in Japan due to the fact that to survive in the test, test, and more test system, you actually need some sort of intelligence, and a lot of parents expect you to be if nothingelse, nerds. However, this trend is starting to crumble, but it is good that at the least the two groups keep their respect for each other. Too bad there are no military training...)
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

The Imperialist wrote:For me, I only watch the World Cup to see the glory of Japan.

(Well, and the jock/nerd conflict is not as big in Japan due to the fact that to survive in the test, test, and more test system, you actually need some sort of intelligence, and a lot of parents expect you to be if nothingelse, nerds. However, this trend is starting to crumble, but it is good that at the least the two groups keep their respect for each other. Too bad there are no military training...)
I don't think Japan did that bad in this year's World Suck. (That's what I call it, as I am somewhat of an active sports-UNenthusiast in real life.) They did better than England. I hate to bring sports-related discussion to this board, but did they get knocked out in the Last 16 or quarter-final of the tournament this year? Just curious. If the latter is true, they did better than England.

Yes, I just asked a sports-related question. Have at me. :twisted:

There isn't much of a jock/nerd conflict over here either. Well, there are less-popular students getting picked on by people who are more-popular, but over here it's all less sports-based. Most bullies are just general morons who enjoy victimising the more reserved, intellectual types in a hope of hindering their education and perhaps demoralising them enough to knock their grades down a bit. We call the morons who spend all their free time smoking, drinking and pissing around "Chavs" over here. An expression which wasn't used back when I was at high school in the 90's, but I can still clearly remember which people would have been referred to as Chavs nowadays.

That sounds a good system over there in Japan, where intellect is looked upon more kindly in the test-heavy system. You say you're expected to be a nerd, which seems to be the opposite over in America, where near enough all boys are expected to play rough contact sports like football or risk having to endure bullying and having their sexuality questioned, topics which Earl has mentioned in many of his posts. Though I do believe that in all cultures, sports and physical fitness will influence high school social life and popularity to some extent, but the extent will vary between cultures.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

The Imperialist

Post by The Imperialist »

If people really want the roughness, at the least make it useful for a life time by doing military training instead of stupid sports. I mean, really.

Nerds being too weak is a problem, but jocks being undisciplined and stupid is also a problem.

A test-heavy system does have its advantage, and it does have the disadvantage (at the least, for Japan right now) that it creates people who can quote trivia, but do nto actually have an independent mind.
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

i_like_1981 wrote:Well, I'm just glad it's over. It's only odd-numbered years when there are no major football tournaments happening. Every four years we have the World Suck, but here in Europe, we have the Euro Football Championship in between every World Suck (the last one was in 2008 and the next one will be 2012). So only two years left for us sports-hating Europeans before the pointless insanity begins again! But I'm sure that you non-Europeans have plenty of other major national sporting events to worry about. I hope England do as well in the next Euro championship as they did in the last one two years ago, i.e. fail in the qualifiers and not even get into the actual tournament! What a laugh I had then.

Best regards,
i_like_1981
England drew last night, so hopefully we will manage to avoid it. That said the Shitlympics start in 2012 as well :evil: .
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Not to mention Euro 2012! Oh dear me! Two years from now does not look like it will be pleasant for us British sports haters! If ever you want to know where I am, I'll be in my flat, trying to crush my head in some way to purge my mind of all the sports crap that will have been forced into it that summer!

Saying that, England will probably be dire in both of these events. And we all know how much the 2012 Olympics mean to Britain. :D

Best regards,
i_like_1981

1100 POSTS! THIS GUY JUST DOESN'T STOP!

Earl

Post by Earl »

Hey, keep up the pace, i_like_1981; and you'll pass me by! 8)
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Oh yeah, there's plenty to dislike about them sports. :D And 2012 looks like it will be quite an active year for this forum. But I'd get ready for some more raids... it'll be the year of the sports bore for sure!

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Lewis

Post by Lewis »

Whenever I see the Shitlympics logo I just start laughing.

I mean WTF?
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

Is that the real logo of the next Olympics?

I didn't know children could be hired as graphic designers.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

They've had that as the bore-impics logo for a while. I guess it reflects the childish attitudes that go along with it.
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
Jerry McGuire
Sportsman

Post by Jerry McGuire »

Yeah, that logo is very strange.

When colored in the right way, it looks like Lisa and Bart Simpson!

As far as the Olympics themselves go, you can hate professional sports leagues all you want. But the Olympics... Come on. The Olympics represents something greater and larger than any of them or us.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Jerry McGuire wrote:As far as the Olympics themselves go, you can hate professional sports leagues all you want. But the Olympics... Come on. The Olympics represents something greater and larger than any of them or us.
Greater and larger than us?

OH WOW! You make it sound like the O' limp-wrist-pics is GOD or something!

Nah! It's just another insignificant event in the history of all humanity.

Somehow, throwing a javelin a hundred yards or so just doesn't compare to launching a space probe to the planets.

No, go play with your toys!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!