Registration change

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
secretary
Site Admin

Registration change

Post by secretary »

Due to the fact that we're still getting spambots, despite having image verification (anyone know how they're getting past it?), I've changed the registration protocols for the forum: Users will now have to enable their accounts manually. If this doesn't stop the bots, I may have to resort to registration by Admin Approval.

If it comes to that, I'll have to ask anyone who wants to register to either post a reply here as a guest with your desired name, or e-mail me (Skul, not secretary) with your name so I know you're not a spam bot. Hopefully, I won't have to put the Admin Approval on, but I will if I have to.

Skul -- (skulkrusha2000@hotmail.com)
Last edited by secretary on Sun May 20, 2007 12:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ray
Site Admin

Re: Registration change

Post by Ray »

secretary wrote:Due to the fact that we're still getting spambots, despite having image verification (anyone know how they're getting past it?), I've changed the registration protocols for the forum: Users will now have to enable their accounts manually. If this doesn't stop the bots, I may have to resort to registration by Admin Approval.

If it comes to that, I'll have to ask anyone who wants to register to either post a reply here as a guest with your desired name, or e-mail me (Skul, not secretary) with your name so I know you're not a spam bot. Hopefully, I won't have to put the Admin Approval on, but I will if I have to.

Skul -- (skulkrusha2000@hotmail.com)
What is the difference in the way it's done now and doing it manually? I thought we <i>were</i> doing it manually. I suspect that the few spammers that get through are actually people. They are probably from Russia or something and have time on their hands and are spamming in person.

I Hope We Lose!
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

I've changed the setting so that users who want to register have to put in a valid e-mail address, then click on a link that is sent to them via e-mail. Before, you could just register and voila! Instant access.

I still don't know how they're getting through the image verification, though, unless, as you say, they're actual people who have way too much time on their hands and spend it all spamming forums around the globe.

Come on! Do they think anybody actually clicks their links?
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
Ray
Site Admin

Post by Ray »

Skul wrote:I've changed the setting so that users who want to register have to put in a valid e-mail address, then click on a link that is sent to them via e-mail. Before, you could just register and voila! Instant access.

I still don't know how they're getting through the image verification, though, unless, as you say, they're actual people who have way too much time on their hands and spend it all spamming forums around the globe.

Come on! Do they think anybody actually clicks their links?
That's a good idea. That's how most boards do it, isn't it? I agree --I don't think anybody clicks their links. I'm guessing that just having the link posted here raises their seach engine ranking. Search engine results are partially based on how many links point to a url. Dat's what they tell me anyway.

I Hope We Lose!
secretary
Site Admin

Post by secretary »

Due to the constant spam bots, registration has unfortunately been changed to admin approval. If you wish to register, send your desired registration name to skulkrusha2000@hotmail.com.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

--Skul
secretary
Site Admin

Post by secretary »

Admin Approval and image verification has been turned off. Textual Confirmation is now in place. Spambots will now hopefully be unable to register.

Sorry for any previous inconvenience.

--Skul
abitagirl

Post by abitagirl »

Unfortunately there appears to be a spam post in Off-Topic. I say "appears to be" because it's just a bunch of links and I refuse to click on them.
Ray
Site Admin

Post by Ray »

Are the spammers STILL getting through?! They must be spamming by hand, one site at a time.

I Hope We Lose!
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

Apparently so.

Perhaps they're actually humans and not bots... I'll have a look at the Textual Confirmation Mod's website. I saw a thread where someone else was having the same problem.

EDIT: Apparently, some bots are able to answer 'yes or no' questions, so I put in some non-yes or no questions (I saved the old ones, Ray, so don't worry :wink:)
Forum Rules

Love and Tolerance!
Yo_Joe

Post by Yo_Joe »

theyre my bots fuckfaces!!!
I wish I could be like you guys!!!
Ray
Site Admin

Post by Ray »

Yo_Joe wrote:theyre my bots fuckfaces!!!
?! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA --YOURS?!

You couldn't design and deploy a bot even if you spent a hundred years trying.

P.S. Coach says run 1000 laps. NOW!!
Last edited by Ray on Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I Hope We Lose!
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

Yo_Joe wrote:theyre my bots fuckfaces!!!
Really? I thought they were Sam's bots.

Oh, wait... :roll:
Forum Rules

Love and Tolerance!
abitagirl

Post by abitagirl »

It's not working. Still getting spam. :(
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

True, but don't worry, our anti-bot scripts are working. The ones that are able to slip through are most likely humans. Every time a spambot registers and is unable to answer the question it is given, the account is banned and deleted and I get an e-mail alerting me to this. I've received several alerts in the past few weeks. We may still be getting spam, but it's not as bad as it could be. Leave it to us. :)
Forum Rules

Love and Tolerance!
Jello Please

Im ticked off

Post by Jello Please »

Jesus Crist why the fuck do ppl spam anyway, it pisses me off (pardon my french) recently ive been getting spam all over my youtube account too for simalar sites and youtube does image verification too... looks like someone has absolutely no life... and i mean less of a life than samdaman... or whatever the fuck he calls himself. :evil:

Dammit i need some Jell~O to calm down... i think theres some lime in the fridge....
I like pie