edison home phonograph

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
wibberley

edison home phonograph

Post by wibberley »

Thank you all for replying to my post,and may God bless you all.This is the first time I have done this sort of thing and I was very pleased with all the research you all put in to finding out about the Hillsborough disaster.
i_like_1981

Re: edison home phonograph

Post by i_like_1981 »

Hello again Wibberley.
I am glad to see my reply to your post did not discourage you from visiting here.
We need all the members we can get for this forum; your support is needed.
Do you mind explaining the title of this thread to me a bit more? What made you choose the name "edison home phonograph"? It seems a rather unusual title for a thread, but then again, it's a bit unusual for you to have your username as liking the year you were born in. I was born in 1981 and am a huge fan of the 1980s, therefore I will make references to these things whenever I can.
I see from your guestbook comments that you live in England. I do too. And I'm sure you are aware of the upcoming World Cup of 2010 which England are going to be participating in. Don't we all remember the World Cups of previous years when the whole country seems to put aside all its more pressing matters for the sake of living vicariously through the achievements of its football team and the media insists on keeping the main focus on soccer and nothing else? The result of a single match can determine the mood of all the country's papers the following day. Yes, that's how dependent on these things the media is. If England lose the World Cup then all our tabloid newspapers will insist on bringing the mood of the whole country down by centring the whole paper around the defeat on the team and how it has "destroyed" their careers. Rather saddening.
I shall be on this site a lot when the World Cup is on. I'll need somewhere to turn to in order to escape the overwhelming barrage of sports news and sports conversations of everyone at work! It's going to be hell for us people who don't like sports! Yet what do they care? They're not going to change their ways because some "insignificant" people don't like it. It is silly how they let their lives become so judged by the results of sports games but when most of the population does it, it does not become silly, but normal practice, and you become an outcast for NOT joining the rabid obsession.
As you may have guessed, I sucked at sports during my school days and got bullied by practically everyone. I was subjected to plenty of physical abuse - when I was 12, we were playing cricket one wet day in PE and I struck out. So one of the guys on my team thought it would be hilarious to come up and crack me in the face with his bat for committing the absolutely unjustifiable act of wasting the turn of the team. I was given a broken nose and had to go to the nurse. My God it hurt. I could practically feel my nose bone go up into my brain. Everything seemed to go blank for a moment. The guy who did it was suspended from school for a few days but that didn't stop him. The day after he came back he smacked my head into a locker for getting him suspended even though I had not provoked him and the whole incident was his doing. So I was being blamed for an attack that was callously launched on me. All because I missed some ball. Sports do this to people's minds you know. They really do. There are more stories I could tell you but not now. I must be departing.
Enjoy your stay here.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

You know, when I first saw the title, I thought it was another spammer (which we have thankfully gotten rid of -- for now) until I read it.
wibberley wrote:I was very pleased with all the research you all put in to finding out about the Hillsborough disaster.
Why? Was it a test? Did we get full marks? :)
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
Earl

Post by Earl »

i_like_1981 wrote:As you may have guessed, I sucked at sports during my school days and got bullied by practically everyone. I was subjected to plenty of physical abuse - when I was 12, we were playing cricket one wet day in PE and I struck out. So one of the guys on my team thought it would be hilarious to come up and crack me in the face with his bat for committing the absolutely unjustifiable act of wasting the turn of the team. I was given a broken nose and had to go to the nurse. My God it hurt. I could practically feel my nose bone go up into my brain. Everything seemed to go blank for a moment. The guy who did it was suspended from school for a few days but that didn't stop him. The day after he came back he smacked my head into a locker for getting him suspended even though I had not provoked him and the whole incident was his doing. So I was being blamed for an attack that was callously launched on me. All because I missed some ball. Sports do this to people's minds you know. They really do. There are more stories I could tell you but not now. I must be departing.
Enjoy your stay here.

Best regards,
i_like_1981
This is one of the reasons why I strongly support the movement in this counttry to reform P.E. Forcing nonathletic students to play competitive teams sports is absolutely stupid and cruel, and does nothing to promote physical fitness for them. The punk who broke your nose, i_like_1981, committed a crime and should have been expelled from school and sent to juvenile detention. Criminals should be punished by the law. I wonder if the sports media in your country has ever reported about such violent incidents. I doubt it. I'm sure they haven't. Very likely, the sports media in the UK is just as bad as the sport media in the US; namely, nothing more and nothing less than a propaganda mill. I know what constitutes true journalism. My sister worked as a journalist in various capacitites for decades. She did investigative reporting, which is almost unheard in the sports media. When has any sportswriter ever dealt with this issue? (Well, I can think of a single one in the United States; but I'm sure he's not very popular with his colleagues.) Specific instances of this abuse should be described in this forum. Frankly, it's much more effective than just saying, "I hate sports, I hate sports" without giving specific instances and perfectly understandable, rational reasons why you (editorially speaking) don't like sports. i_like_1981, I commend you that despite all that happened to you when you were a kid, you're still able to recognize that there are individual "jocks" who are decent. I'm not sure if I had had your childhood experiences that I would be as open-minded as you.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Thanks very much for your concern Earl.
However, I don't think the school would have had a 12-year-old prosecuted and sent to juvenile detention just for hitting me with a bat. Had there been a group of them doing it to me repeatedly then yes, prosecution would have been more likely but this was just some punk kid who loved his sports too much. I went to school in the middle of London. People are pretty damn violent there. Horrific acts of violence always happened - one student I know actually had his head put through a glass window for trying to hit someone who was bullying him and I never saw him again after that. My blow to the face with a bat was just one of an endless catalogue of violent bullying incidents happening in my school. Besides, the guy who hit me played soccer for the under-13s team. He was one of their top players. Should they have sent him away the team would have suffered and the blame would have been put on ME for being the reason they lost him. I'm glad he got suspended though. At least some punishment was doled out. But they should clamp down harder on kids these days, particularly in London, as they're becoming more and more rebellious and the only reason people say exam grades are "always going up" is because the exams themselves are just getting easier and easier. I've seen some of the example GCSE questions printed in the newspapers and some of them made me laugh. Improving grades? I wonder. Sooner or later we'll have no experienced scientists or doctors because the papers they took to gain their qualifications for the jobs will be too easy and won't allow them to put to use the information that could save lives! I say... bring back the old ways! Make the tests nice and long and tricky!

That said, I have been getting told a lot that I shouldn't blame my problems on all sports fans and to be honest, they're right. It's a bit unfair to take this out on somebody you've never met face-to-face and who could quite well not be the stereotype you wish to vent your anger upon. I've taken heat off people like Andy and Cycloptichorn for not being open-minded enough and tarring all sports fans with the same brush and I see what they mean. It's best to try and get to know people's true colours before you start making judgements on them, not to just go in all guns blazing because they disagree with your views. Cycloptichorn did say that doing that made me absolutely no better than the sports bullies who I seeked to denounce and as much as I hate to say it, he's right. If I'm going to present an effective argument against the people I dislike then I should not show characteristics similar to theirs in fear of getting called a hypocrite. Basically, I should not just insult all people and believe they're all the same just because they like sports. After all, the people on this board have been through enough stereotyping as having "no friends, no lives, pathetic" from idiots like Samdamoron who really had no reasoning regarding their hateful feelings towards us. Presenting our points in a civil way, not making harsh presumptions about people and being prepared to tell the other person why we feel the way we do is important if we are going to truly prove that we're more intelligent than these jocks. Insulting them and stereotyping them back is just mirroring their behaviour and shows how we're really no better than them.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

greencom

Post by greencom »

The thing that really irks me about jocks is this: Jocks hate nerds because they don't like or play sports, they hate them just because of their lifestyle. I hate jocks because of what they did to me personally and others like me, I've seen their cruel brutality and I've seen them get totally away with it because whatever authority was around to enforce rules was always sympathetic towards anyone involved in sports. Yeah, I stereotype jocks, I have a reason as do many of us on this forum, yeah there's some nice ones I guess but I don't care, I hate them all, because the nice ones never stopped the assholes among them from doing these things, you know why, because the nice ones were outnumbered by the assholes. Now that I'm an old guy I take great pleasure in seeing these other old guys I work with who were jocks ( and wish they still could be) waddle around in pain, can hardly bend over to tie their shoes while I can run, jump and generally outdo anything they can do, especially mentally, yeah and nerds are the losers, right. The jocks should be kissing our feet for the world we created for them so they can play in it like the stupid children they are. Yeah, I stereotype them, ALL OF THEM!
Peace to all (except jocks, eat $%#@)
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

greencom wrote:The thing that really irks me about jocks is this: Jocks hate nerds because they don't like or play sports, they hate them just because of their lifestyle. I hate jocks because of what they did to me personally and others like me, I've seen their cruel brutality and I've seen them get totally away with it because whatever authority was around to enforce rules was always sympathetic towards anyone involved in sports. Yeah, I stereotype jocks, I have a reason as do many of us on this forum, yeah there's some nice ones I guess but I don't care, I hate them all, because the nice ones never stopped the assholes among them from doing these things, you know why, because the nice ones were outnumbered by the assholes. Now that I'm an old guy I take great pleasure in seeing these other old guys I work with who were jocks ( and wish they still could be) waddle around in pain, can hardly bend over to tie their shoes while I can run, jump and generally outdo anything they can do, especially mentally, yeah and nerds are the losers, right. The jocks should be kissing our feet for the world we created for them so they can play in it like the stupid children they are. Yeah, I stereotype them, ALL OF THEM!
Peace to all (except jocks, eat $%#@)
Same here!

I don't care how nice and polite a jock might be, like Andy for example:

Yes, Andy is a nice guy and all that, and was never a bully even though he is a jock. And yes, it think it's a good thing that he's doing, pursuing a medical career as a nurse.

Also, because he likes Astronomy as much as I do, we could be friends, however . . . . . . .

As long as he's in sports, then he is involved in an evil enterprise. He is a collaborator!

He may not be a bully. He may not be a moron, in fact, he is quite intelligent, but simply because he's into sports, then as far as I'm concerned, he's a Fascist Nazi collaborator!

When he finally becomes a nurse, then he can treat the injuries of all the nerds and geeks who had been beaten up on, and thrown down flights of stairs or through plate-glass windows by his fellow jocks!

Andy should also pursue a career in law and become a lawyer so he can also help the nerds and geeks file criminal lawsuits against his fellow jocks!

I'm in a bad mood right now!

I lost one of my silver amalgam fillings in my teeth about 2 days ago, and I have a toothache!

The filling was put in years ago when I was living in Las Cruces New Mexico where Medicaid/Medicare pays for dental work.

But now, I live in the redneck state of Texas, and in this state, my Medicaid/Medicare does not cover dental work in anyone over the age of 18, so I have to live with the pain!

Eventually, after a couple of weeks, the nerve ending will die and there won't be any more pain.

Yeah! When ever I have any pain, I have to wait for small parts of me to die before the pain goes away.

I'm the meantime I'm taking Aspirin and I sip on a shot of Vodka, swishing it around inside my mouth, and that seems to help a little bit.

That's how we treat a toothache in the redneck state of Texas. Either with booze, or a string and a doorknob!

Yeah, sometimes poor people in Texas get desperate enough to pull out their own teeth with pliers! I've seen it! Not a pretty sight!

But, that's Texas!

All of us with low incomes are living on death row!

But in the meantime, jocks can get their teeth fixed so they can chomp down on their FREE T-bone and sirloin stakes and drive around in their FREE Hummers that they get to park all day long in 15 minute parking zones!

But I'm living on death row!

Screw all the jocks!

No, that's too polite!

Fuck all the jocks! They can all eat shit and die!!!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Let me propose a question.

Out of these two sports loving visitors to our site:
Andy wrote:Many may have seen my posts in the guestbook, and if you haven't I will tell you what I'm about. My name is Andy, I play college football and have 3.5 GPA in my major that is nursing. I am not here to tell you that you must love sports, because you are entitled to your opinion. I'm here to tell you not to believe all of the sports stereotypes. I love sports and will continue to love sports even after my career is finished. I do not plan to play professional football, I hope to travel the world after I earn my degree and help those in 3rd world countries that cannot help themselves.

I'm here to give an athletes point of view so please ask me any questions you want, just try to keep it civilized and keep bashing to a minimum.
[color=#FF00FF][b]Samdaman[/b][/color] wrote:BTW untill you guys actually know what a clit is you shouldn't really try and fuck with me. Just face it you little virgin faggots you will never be as good as me and you have no lives. Just go jerk off to Brad Pitt's ass and stop trying to think that you could ever measure up to a jock. You know that you are worthless little ricks and that whatever you do you will never be as good as me.
Who would you say is the stereotypical jock you hate?
Who is more deserving of the abuse you give?
Who came here to have a polite discussion with us and who just came to harass us and deliver a constant barrage of unreasoned abuse to people who he never met or got to know personally?
I believe abuse should be given to those who give it,
and those who come here with no intention of attacking people should be left out of it.
You pick the moron. It's clear to see.
I don't want to sound like I'm siding with the jocks but it's only fair we separate the decent ones from the complete intolerant morons.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Earl

Post by Earl »

greencom wrote:Now that I'm an old guy ...
greencom, my dear friend, you're not an old guy. You can't be. After all, I'm a year older than you. I like to think of us as being middle-aged guys. We're not elderly yet! At least I'm not ready for that designation. :lol:

Fat Man and greencom, believe me, I know how you feel; so, please forgive me for what I'm about to say.

i_like_1981, I agree with what you say. We all know that your heart is in the right place.

Those who support this website don't all have the same exact mindset. The purpose of this forum is to allow the expression of all points of view; so, lack of conformity should be expected.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

greencom

Post by greencom »

I_Like_1981,
I do of course agree with you, you do bring up a good point, I can in no way place guys like Andy who is a nice guy with a flaw (loves sports) any near the lowlife piece of excrement that Samdaman is. I really do not think Samdaman is real however. he's most likely a pathetic loser that lies about his exploits and never touched a woman in his life, well maybe his sister. I don't even consider him in my tirades, he's a fake. But Andy ,I believe, is an exception to the rule, so I do not really include him in my rants either. The stereotypical jocks which means the real jocks can go &^%%$&(&^$%&$ and eat it too! AHHHhhhh that feels better.
Earl

Post by Earl »

greencom wrote:AHHHhhhh that feels better.
greencom, did somebody scratch your itch?

greencom

Post by greencom »

Earl wrote:
greencom wrote:AHHHhhhh that feels better.
greencom, did somebody scratch your itch?
Earl,
Yes the god of "get it off your chest" scratched my itch. Please forgive my rude manners but whenever I start to vent a little steam on this wonderful forum my whole boiler blows and it's hard to stop. I;m just trying to get the world to be "fair and balanced" which I realize is a pipe dream. I need friends like you to keep me civil. I think I'm turning feral living out here in the country.
Earl

Post by Earl »

greencom, I'm glad you weren't offended (not that I really thought you would). I was just trying to inject a little humor here.
greencom wrote:Please forgive my rude manners but whenever I start to vent a little steam on this wonderful forum my whole boiler blows and it's hard to stop.
Naw, don't worry about it. No forgiveness is needed. Besides, I know just what you mean. Hey, in the "Welcome Sports Haters" thread at able2know in less than a year, I've lost my temper three times. :lol:

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

greencom wrote:I_Like_1981,
I do of course agree with you, you do bring up a good point, I can in no way place guys like Andy who is a nice guy with a flaw (loves sports) any near the lowlife piece of excrement that Samdaman is. I really do not think Samdaman is real however. he's most likely a pathetic loser that lies about his exploits and never touched a woman in his life, well maybe his sister. I don't even consider him in my tirades, he's a fake. But Andy ,I believe, is an exception to the rule, so I do not really include him in my rants either. The stereotypical jocks which means the real jocks can go &^%%$&(&^$%&$ and eat it too! AHHHhhhh that feels better.
Completely agree with you about Samdaman's exploits being false to some extent.
Your comments are absolutely hilarious about jocks. Speaking of which, Samdaman did make reference to a sister a few times in his posts... I have nothing but sympathy for that poor girl with a mad, moronic brother with the IQ of a fence post! Feel free to let off all the steam you want. This is the place for it. I enjoyed reading your responses to the posts of mike_the_pain_train, another sports bore who similarly couldn't put together a decent argument against our beliefs on the excessive hype over sports in society. I noticed he shut up after that. How much I seem to have missed out on round here!
All the stereotypical jocks who attack the members of this board with no reasonable evidence to back up their claims (such as calling us all nerds who have no friends or lives) deserve all the abuse they can get. I would not attempt to reason with a person who started acting aggressively. First impressions always count. If they wish to debate, even if said debate may be somewhat aggressive in tone, they should make the effort to at least raise some decent arguments in their opening post. That way I will believe they are a real critic and not just some mindless hater. Cycloptichorn did not give me the impression of an intelligent, tolerant sports fan with his first post to me and that is why I attacked him back without bothering to try and enquire into or understand his points of view or past experiences. I take people based on the way they present themselves at first to me. Cycloptichorn seemed to think I had the responsibility to go back through 17 full pages of huge posts and look for his exclusively... well, if he wanted me to understand his reasoning, he should have made it clear to me in the first post he submitted to me. I can't be expected to go back and concentrate on the posts of one specific user and pay close attention to only their posts. Another typical attitude of the common sports fan, believing their word only is the right one to go by and that no opposing retorts or criticisms are acceptable.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Earl

Post by Earl »

Although he changed his tune later, Cycloptichorn's first reaction was to be abusive and insult people he didn't even know personally. And, frankly, regarding the high-school incident of the two football players who gave him moral support when one of their teammates poured a slurpie down the back of his shirt, really it's almost as if this never happened to him because someone stuck up for him right when it happened. Yet he smugly and self-righteously judges those who had similar or worse experiences, but never had anyone to stand up for them. Did anyone stand up for Fat Man, greencom, rotten, geno, and i_like_1981? The answer to that question is obvious. So, I'm not all that impressed with Mister Cycloptichorn, who seems to lack empathy for anyone who ever was bullied by "jocks." (After all, bullied kids are not important.) Frankly, he sounds like a jock sniffer. (Granted, I should have reacted with a cool demeanor at able2know; but he appeared to be bullying someone he had never spoken to before in his life. To use Cycloptichorn's favorite word: pathetic.) I think what really bothers Cycloptichorn is that some people just aren't willing to put football players on a pedestal as a group (as he clearly does), instead of treating them as human beings and judging them on an individual basis. Just my opinion, folks! :mrgreen:

P.S. What Cycloptichorn should have done from the very beginning was to act like a gentleman and make specific objections addressed to the appropriate person or persons, instead of acting like an immature, intolerant jerk who attacked us indiscriminately as a single group. It sure would have saved us a lot of trouble. :x