pop music sucks

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
i_like_1981

Re: pop music sucks

Post by i_like_1981 »

That's not really me. He's too good-looking. :lol:
Oh you want a real picture of me? Well, I can't do that, I'm afraid.
But rest assured, I'm not incredibly different from that picture. :wink:

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
sparkle

Post by sparkle »

NP. ;) Hesitation is probably good online. Of course, no one IRL around me is shocked I'm not a mighty mighty jock. (I know, surprising, right?)
* I always had hopes of being a big star. But as you get older, you aim a little lower. Everybody wants to make an impression, some mark upon the world. Then you think, you've made a mark on the world if you just get through it, and a few people remember your name. Then you've left a mark. You don't have to bend the whole world. I think it's better to just enjoy it. Pay your dues, and just enjoy it. If you shoot an arrow and it goes real high, hooray for you.*
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

sparkle wrote:NP. ;) Hesitation is probably good online. Of course, no one IRL around me is shocked I'm not a mighty mighty jock. (I know, surprising, right?)
A mighty mighty jock probably wouldn't even know how to put a picture of himself up for all to see. "John" has been the only "jock" to show us any image meant to resemble himself but as we all know, the guy posting up those pics and those crappy posts was probably some fat or skinny sports lunatic on the /sp/ at 4chan who probably does no physical exercise himself apart from typing, and the person on the photo has been dead nearly three years. So that doesn't count.

So we can forget seeing any images of our haters and how "mighty" they really are. They probably don't even know how to use a camera! They have no appreciation for the techno-geeks who have made it possible for us to live in such a technologically-advanced world like today where everything seems to be so easy.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

wibberley

Post by wibberley »

Well; it's great to be back after so long an absence.I've been busy with the piano lately as I have been working for an exam which was this afternoon which,all things considered,went o.k so I hope I have passed.So that's a relief that that's over although it will be back to the grindstone when I resume my lessons next wednesday with ever increasing intensity as the going gets tougher. At the moment I am really into silent film actress Nita Naldi.Her first major role was opposite John Barrymore in "Dr.Jekyle and Mr.Hyde" (1920) She also starred along Valentino in"Blood and Sand"(1922)She isn't what you might consider beautiful but her whole physique is so gorgeous that she just oozes sexuality.About 15 years ago I had a super 8 reduction print of Dr.Jekyll and I noticed how shapely she was back then.Also,I had "Blood and sand" on aDVD but I have misplaced it.Later in the 1920's she went to Europe where she appeared in the second Alfred hitchcock feature "The Mountain Eagle" although no print of it is known to survive.
sparkle

Post by sparkle »

Hi! Enjoy your vacation. :)
* I always had hopes of being a big star. But as you get older, you aim a little lower. Everybody wants to make an impression, some mark upon the world. Then you think, you've made a mark on the world if you just get through it, and a few people remember your name. Then you've left a mark. You don't have to bend the whole world. I think it's better to just enjoy it. Pay your dues, and just enjoy it. If you shoot an arrow and it goes real high, hooray for you.*
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

wibberley wrote:Well; it's great to be back after so long an absence.I've been busy with the piano lately as I have been working for an exam which was this afternoon which,all things considered,went o.k so I hope I have passed.So that's a relief that that's over although it will be back to the grindstone when I resume my lessons next wednesday with ever increasing intensity as the going gets tougher. At the moment I am really into silent film actress Nita Naldi.Her first major role was opposite John Barrymore in "Dr.Jekyle and Mr.Hyde" (1920) She also starred along Valentino in"Blood and Sand"(1922)She isn't what you might consider beautiful but her whole physique is so gorgeous that she just oozes sexuality.About 15 years ago I had a super 8 reduction print of Dr.Jekyll and I noticed how shapely she was back then.Also,I had "Blood and sand" on aDVD but I have misplaced it.Later in the 1920's she went to Europe where she appeared in the second Alfred hitchcock feature "The Mountain Eagle" although no print of it is known to survive.
Hello again wibberley.
I hope you've passed your piano exam. I too sometimes play that instrument - I have one here in my flat which I like to go on when I get a bit bored. But I don't do exams or grades for it. I just learn the odd song to amuse myself with. I don't have myself down as a professional pianist; I would not have the confidence to appear on stage before thousands of people hungry for a slick, perfect performance.
For me it's just a bit of personal amusement.
Good to see you're still talking about the old stuff, and giving years as well. We both bring the past back to life on this board, only you delve a little deeper!
So, congratulations on completing your exam. I wish you luck when the day of the results comes!

Best regards,
i_like_1981

wibberley

Post by wibberley »

If you have a piano 1981 you might think of taking lessons,after all you are still young enough.Some people think that playing amusical instrument is only the preserve of the gifted,but for anyone who is really determined it casn be achievable,although it must be acknowledged that it comes more readily to some people,a child for example.You have an appreciation for the last 60 years of popular music so you will have plenty to go at,it need'nt all be classical music.IN FACT ,THE PIANO IS THE MOST EXPRESSIVE OF ALL INSTRUMENTS,especially if you have an electric one(which most people do these days) as you can switch it to make sounds of an organ etc.You think about this seriously,if you work hard,by the time you are 40 you will be almost if not already very accomplished.You see,if you can do something like that you will,believe me,wow your audience.I'll tell you one thing,people,as you might expect,occassionally rubbish my interest in silent films,gramophones,whatever,but not the piano,oh no,even to the most shall we say football loving thug ,they have some measure of respect for what I'm doing.Whenever I go for a haircut ,the barbour always asks how I'm going on with the piano.So ,1981 ,go for it now,because when your 70 and everyone else that age is talking serious garbage or going down the centre to while the time away,you ,on the other hand ,will have a real treasure,to reproduce music ,something that cannot be bought but only acquired by years of practice.Believe me ,you will not regret it.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

wibberley wrote:If you have a piano 1981 you might think of taking lessons,after all you are still young enough.Some people think that playing amusical instrument is only the preserve of the gifted,but for anyone who is really determined it casn be achievable,although it must be acknowledged that it comes more readily to some people,a child for example.You have an appreciation for the last 60 years of popular music so you will have plenty to go at,it need'nt all be classical music.IN FACT ,THE PIANO IS THE MOST EXPRESSIVE OF ALL INSTRUMENTS,especially if you have an electric one(which most people do these days) as you can switch it to make sounds of an organ etc.You think about this seriously,if you work hard,by the time you are 40 you will be almost if not already very accomplished.You see,if you can do something like that you will,believe me,wow your audience.I'll tell you one thing,people,as you might expect,occassionally rubbish my interest in silent films,gramophones,whatever,but not the piano,oh no,even to the most shall we say football loving thug ,they have some measure of respect for what I'm doing.Whenever I go for a haircut ,the barbour always asks how I'm going on with the piano.So ,1981 ,go for it now,because when your 70 and everyone else that age is talking serious garbage or going down the centre to while the time away,you ,on the other hand ,will have a real treasure,to reproduce music ,something that cannot be bought but only acquired by years of practice.Believe me ,you will not regret it.
Thanks wibberley. I too am a great lover of music. Music strengthens the soul, gives new life, tells stories. To listen to it is great but to be able to produce your own must be better.

That said, I'm not sure I would invest in lessons. That's only for people who are seriously thinking of performing in front of crowds of people, entering a band and touring with them. Me, I prefer to do it as just a hobby, a time-passer. I have got a music book of Queen songs adapted for piano learners. I am working my way towards perfecting the Bohemian Rhapsody. When/if I've perfected it I might film myself and upload the video onto my YouTube account. Thousands have already done it and to a better standard than I probably will. But my own adaptation of it could attract some views. You should upload some videos of your performances onto YouTube, wibberley. If you do I'll come and drop you some comments.

I like playing the keyboard. But perhaps not to the extent you do. The ability to perform music is one definitely worth the time it takes to acquire and master but there will always be some people who know their life lies in that field. I am not one of those people. But I will not object to spending some time on my keyboard at home particularly when it's late and I'm bored and need a bit of lifting up.

Good luck with your lessons. Hope to see you around here again shortly.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

wibberley

Post by wibberley »

i would imagine "bohemian rhapsody " would be quite difficult to play for a casual performer.You will need a steady left hand to play what i would imagine to be thirds in the"I see a little silhouette of a man" bit.I think it is good you have a piano,I just recommend that you might think of learning to play it properley so that you can readily play other Queen songs (I think "Good old fashioned lover boy" would be agood one to learn) rather than learning each piece from scratch as it were,for want of a better expression.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

wibberley wrote:i would imagine "bohemian rhapsody " would be quite difficult to play for a casual performer.You will need a steady left hand to play what i would imagine to be thirds in the"I see a little silhouette of a man" bit.I think it is good you have a piano,I just recommend that you might think of learning to play it properley so that you can readily play other Queen songs (I think "Good old fashioned lover boy" would be agood one to learn) rather than learning each piece from scratch as it were,for want of a better expression.
Hello wibberley.

Bohemian Rhapsody is a tricky song to play, yes that is true. I've been learning it for three months now and I'm still not able to play the whole thing. Just give me some time. I play a slightly simplified version of it without all the tricky chords and fancy flourishes, but it still sounds quite impressive.

Yes, Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy is also in my Queen song book. I should learn that one too. It seems an appropriate choice as it is quite heavily piano-based. I'll keep that one in mind. I don't quite see how they could adapt "Now I'm Here" to the piano fully as that's very heavily guitar-based, a 70's hard rock song. But they have done it. I'm going to get to grips with the Bohemian Rhapsody before I start practicing any other songs. For a beginner the best advice is not to overcommit yourself. Queen's songs are quite majestic, definitely not simple.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

wibberley

Post by wibberley »

i passed!!! yippee!!!
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

wibberley wrote:i passed!!! yippee!!!
Congratulations, wibberley! (If you don't mind me asking, what music exam is this? Is this a piano grade exam? Have you reached Grade 8?) Are you intending to go into a musical career? If so, I wish you all the best of luck with it. Have fun trying to serenade all those beautiful women! Women like a man with a musical side to him. Enjoy yourself!

Best regards,
i_like_1981

wibberley

Post by wibberley »

.no,it was grade 6 but at least it is in the 'advanced' bracket.grade 7 will probably be in acouple of years time.Realistically,the best I can hope to do is perhaps teach but that will not be for a while yet
wibberley

Post by wibberley »

i would heartily agree with glen who wrote to theweffect that all sports should be banned from tv and that all people who play sports should be put against a wall and shot and killed.i think those so called black widows in russia sahould not blow themselves up on the underground but at football grounds or at a rock concert.i am sick of hearing the same crappy records on the radio at work every morning.i would like to hear more noel coward or ivor novello.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

wibberley wrote:i would heartily agree with glen who wrote to theweffect that all sports should be banned from tv and that all people who play sports should be put against a wall and shot and killed.i think those so called black widows in russia sahould not blow themselves up on the underground but at football grounds or at a rock concert.i am sick of hearing the same crappy records on the radio at work every morning.i would like to hear more noel coward or ivor novello.
I know, wibberley. I similarly hate the shit they broadcast on today's radio. I try and stay well clear of BBC Radio 1 as that is where they tend to broadcast the latest, hottest pop singles for the young generation of idiots and sheep. BLLEEECCH! Fuck that. I like to listen to Rock Radio as that is where they put quite a strong emphasis on 70's and 80's rock tunes. But that is not to say they're not keen on their new rock as well. Oh, they have to appeal to the young, trendy demographic as they too love their music. Thankfully I have an ability to naturally tell if a song is recent and if it is, I guess that encourages me to concentrate on the road a bit more! Not worth having an accident over modern music. All the popular music of the past 10 years is nothing but a fucking accident that I hope people regret making in later years!

Best regards,
i_like_1981