USA BECOMING A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY - WE CAN'T AFFORD SPORTS!

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
sparkle

Re: USA BECOMING A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY - WE CAN'T AFFORD SPO

Post by sparkle »

I never get to play Charades in English. I guess u were lucky. Fat Man, I know u have not had an easy make of life, but can't you admit maybe u embellish? A little? A rape victim, a nurse, denied proper education? Have u ever had a good day in ur life, or is everything fighting the good fight?

I see the sports riots and the problems and the suffering and the man's cruelty to man. It brakes my heart. But there are lots of good things in life. Most people are good and kind. I hope u are able to see that someday. Even these 4chan people probably tease mostly because they feel bad about themselves. I hope u stop seeing urself as victim.
* I always had hopes of being a big star. But as you get older, you aim a little lower. Everybody wants to make an impression, some mark upon the world. Then you think, you've made a mark on the world if you just get through it, and a few people remember your name. Then you've left a mark. You don't have to bend the whole world. I think it's better to just enjoy it. Pay your dues, and just enjoy it. If you shoot an arrow and it goes real high, hooray for you.*
Earl

Post by Earl »

Fat Man, I'm quite relieved that your financial situation has improved. :)
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

sparkle wrote:I never get to play Charades in English. I guess u were lucky. . . . .
HUH?!?

What do you mean by lucky???

No, I don't consider that lucky! Not at all!!!

I did NOT want to play Charades or fold paper footballs! I wanted to actually study some English Literature, and in my science class I did NOT want to watch stupid cartoons, I wanted to actually study science.

Like, DUH!!!

HELLO!

School is where you study science, math, history, reading, etc. etc.

HELLO! HELLO! HELL-FUCKIN'-LOHO!!!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Earl wrote:Fat Man, I'm quite relieved that your financial situation has improved. :)
You and me both! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Right now, as I'm typing this, I'm smoking a cigar and having a great big frosty mug of King Cobra Malt Liquor.

And I brewed a fresh pot of coffee.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

sparkle

Post by sparkle »

Irony is not just a tool to get the wrinkles out of your shirty, my love. ;)
* I always had hopes of being a big star. But as you get older, you aim a little lower. Everybody wants to make an impression, some mark upon the world. Then you think, you've made a mark on the world if you just get through it, and a few people remember your name. Then you've left a mark. You don't have to bend the whole world. I think it's better to just enjoy it. Pay your dues, and just enjoy it. If you shoot an arrow and it goes real high, hooray for you.*
Earl

Post by Earl »

Fat Man wrote:
sparkle wrote:I never get to play Charades in English. I guess u were lucky. . . . .
HUH?!?

I did NOT want to play Charades or fold paper footballs! I wanted to actually study some English Literature, and in my science class I did NOT want to watch stupid cartoons, I wanted to actually study science.

Like, DUH!!!

HELLO!

Fat Man, she meant no harm in what she said.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

sparkle wrote:Irony is not just a tool to get the wrinkles out of your shirty, my love. ;)
Hey! I got to admit, that's pretty good!

Yeah, the was funny!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Earl wrote:
Fat Man wrote:
HUH?!?

Like, DUH!!!

HELLO!

Fat Man, she meant no harm in what she said.
I know! I know!

I realize she meant no harm.

But my high school was like being in Kindergarten again.

Only worse!

At least, in Kindergarten we had nice toys to play with and we could use our imaginations.

In high school, we only folded paper footballs!

DUH!!!

sparkle

Post by sparkle »

U should see if as a disabled citizen if u can take free college classes either online or at a campus. U can even get aid for bus fare to the campus. It would be getting out of the house for some time.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Fat Man wrote:And yes, it was every day in my science class that we just sat there watching cartoons. Sometimes it was The Three Stooges, but most of the time it was cartoons.

I got angry and walked out of the classroom and went to the principal's office to complain but nobody would do jack shit about it!
That's very respectable of you to show more interest in your education than any of the other students or even the teacher. Watching cartoons every lesson instead of learning is pathetic and I bet some students in your class probably stopped bothering coming in at all. You had every right to complain. We only used to get treated to a video tape in science classes at the end of half-term which was about once every two months or so. Or when the teacher wasn't in, a note would be left explaining the reason sometimes along with a tape relating to the topic we were meant to be studying. I'm sure that would pass in your book. Naturally some of the students wouldn't be satisfied with the tape and would just piss around all lesson throwing things, walking round the classroom and talking to their stupid mates about crap like football. And yes, every once in a while they'd have a pop at me but I think their urge to do that was slightly subdued by their satisfaction at having a lesson free to do what they wanted. Oh and sometimes they would need me for help when a test was imminent. That was one of the few uses the "popular kids" ever really had for me, apart from picking on me every now and again! But not like I wanted to be part of their moronic, egoistic group anyway. It sounds pretty damn poor regarding your teacher's treatment of science lessons and I understand your anger at having sports get in the way of your education again. It seems in America they take sports in an academic environment far more seriously than they do over here. I even used to bunk off the odd PE lesson when I saw a good opportunity. From what I've seen on this board, sports in America seem to be far more dominant in education than here in England. They're damn popular over here too but we only had four sessions of them a fortnight during compulsory education up to 16 - I hear in America PE can happen every day in schools! That is an obstruction to the academic subjects which are what the schools should be operating for. Sports are just a pastime for those who want to enjoy them. I do not feel they should be classed as education.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

I wouldn't mind films or tapes being shown in a science class if it happens to be about science.

My favorite films or tapes are the ones that are about Astronomy.

So, I have no objections to showing movies in a science class, provided that the movies are about science. That's why I enjoy watching The History Channel or The National Geographic Channel on Cable TV.

I believe education should be fun. There is nothing like a really good film or tape on Astronomy to stimulate ones interest.

One of my all time favorites is the 13 episode program, COSMOS by Carl Sagan. It's very educational, and it is one of the most beautiful programs I had ever seen on PBS, and the music was fantastic!

Carl Sagan's COSMOS came out way back in 1980, back when good ol' Ronald Bedtime-for-Bonzo Reagan was running for President and the good ol' Reverend Jerry Fall-in-the-well and his moronic Moral Majority INC was campaigning to support Reagan, and some whacked out religious groups were publicly burning books, and singing religious hymns.

I had nightmares during the Reagan years.

Back then, Carl Sagan was publicly speaking out for intellectual and academic freedom and against the rising tide of ignorance that was washing over this country.

Astronomy is the most beautiful science there is!

Football is ugly and it smells bad!

Now, if they would just show educational films or tapes in the classroom, then that would fine.

But NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

They had to show stupid moronic cartoons!

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Fat Man wrote:Astronomy is the most beautiful science there is!

Now, if they would just show educational films or tapes in the classroom, then that would fine.

A lot of people would probably just disregard the cartoon incident as a minor problem and tell you to lighten up and enjoy yourself. The response would probably be something like "do you have any fun at all? Life's about playing, not just working! Stop bringing the fun things down." I guess they take it for granted that they were entitled to a decent education of the sciences; mine was fine enough. But what you say here seems to me like a serious obstruction of education and it was robbing you of your chance to do something you loved. I'm guessing you were in the minority in your class, wanting to study the subject instead of having an easy time doing nothing useful. It's a shame that people who don't want to learn are put in classes where the teaching is good, the curriculum is rich and broad but they themselves just can't be bothered putting any effort in. The slackers are the ones who should be watching the cartoons; they don't want an education so they shouldn't have one. People like you deserve one; many nowadays have very little motivation to study hard at school and I can see the exams in England are getting easier as time progresses. It seems to be easy now to get good enough grades at GCSE level to stay on in a Sixth Form school. Did you not consider searching for and attending any additional Science classes? Or am I asking a stupid question that I should have deduced by now?

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

i_like_1981 wrote:
Fat Man wrote:Astronomy is the most beautiful science there is!

A lot of people would probably just disregard the cartoon incident as a minor problem and tell you to lighten up and enjoy yourself. The response would probably be something like "do you have any fun at all? Life's about playing, not just working! Stop bringing the fun things down." I guess they take it for granted that they were entitled to a decent education of the sciences; mine was fine enough. But what you say here seems to me like a serious obstruction of education and it was robbing you of your chance to do something you loved. I'm guessing you were in the minority in your class, wanting to study the subject instead of having an easy time doing nothing useful. It's a shame that people who don't want to learn are put in classes where the teaching is good, the curriculum is rich and broad but they themselves just can't be bothered putting any effort in. The slackers are the ones who should be watching the cartoons; they don't want an education so they shouldn't have one. People like you deserve one; many nowadays have very little motivation to study hard at school and I can see the exams in England are getting easier as time progresses. It seems to be easy now to get good enough grades at GCSE level to stay on in a Sixth Form school. Did you not consider searching for and attending any additional Science classes? Or am I asking a stupid question that I should have deduced by now?

Best regards,
i_like_1981
Oh, I know life can't be serious all the time with all work and no play.

When I was kid, I liked to watch some cartoons when I got home from school, then I went out to play for a little while, then I did my homework. Then before going to bed, since I was always interested in Astronomy, I would go outside for awhile with my star chart and a pair of binoculars to study the stars. On Friday and Saturday nights when there was no school the next day, my mother allowed me to say up even later at night so I could go out with my binoculars and my star chart.

OK, even as an adult, I still like to watch some cartoons.

I mean, really! Back in the 1990s I got a big kick out of Beavis & Butthead. Those were as funny as all Hell. And I also like to watch South Park late at night.

WOW! They didn't have cartoons like that when I was a kid!

But there is a time to study in class, and a time to have fun watching silly cartoons, but in a science class, it is NOT the time.

Yes, I like to have fun.

As a kid and a teenager, during weekends and during Summer vacations, I enjoyed flying a kite, or riding my bicycle. I just didn't care for sports, because to me, sports was no fun. As a kid, I liked mostly flying toys, kites, airplanes, or helicopters or rockets.

I remember I had one of those toy rockets that you fill about halfway with water and then you pump air into it. When the rocket was released the air pressure inside forced the water out and the rocket would rise leaving a trail of water in the air. You were only suppose to pump it about 30 times, but I decided to pump it about 100 times instead. Yeah, sometimes did dumb things when I was a kid. Anyway, the rocket went up so high it disappeared, and I searched all over the neighborhood looking for it because I knew it had to come down somewhere. Well, a couple of days later, I was riding my bicycle about a few of miles outside of town when I noticed something shinny laying on the shoulder of the road flashing blue and red in the sunlight, and when I got to it, sure enough, it was one of my toy rockets! Yeah, it was mine alright because my initials was scratched on one of the fins of the rocket. I notice that they don't make toys like that anymore for kids.

During the summer, our family went on camping trips up in the mountains. I liked swimming, and fishing, and going out into the lake in a row boat. On our family camping trips we sang around the camp fire in the evenings after sunset. We camped at places like Yellowstone National Park, the Black Hills in South Dakota, the Devils Tower in Wyoming, etc. etc.

So, I absolutely believe in having fun!

And as for "bringing the fun things down" well, the sports bores and bullies I knew liked to put down the things I enjoyed doing. To them, sports is all there is and there is nothing else.

But there is a time for having fun, and a time to get serious.

So, when I was in high school, science class is suppose to be where you learn science, and NOT for watching stupid cartoons.

Of course, to me science is fun.

When I left high school, I went to night school instead. There I took classes in algebra, biology, and chemistry. It was in the same high school building, and most of the students were adults in their late 20s to their 40s while I was only 19 years old at the time. But this time they were serious about teaching. We had different teachers than they had during the usual high school class. Also, the students being much older were serious about their studies.

I absolutely loved my chemistry class, especially chemistry lab. It was really cool, and we even got to do experiments with some pretty dangerous chemicals, so the chemistry teacher, he was very very serious about taking all the necessary precautions before setting up any experiments. We wore safety goggles and white lab coats with black asbestos aprons.

So, it was very very serious. No goofing around. But to me, it was also fun because I love science, and I enjoyed the serious atmosphere of the chemistry lab. When working with all kinds of chemicals, you have to have some discipline in the lab.

To all those jocks fans sport bores who think that science is "sissy stuff" well, think again!

A chemistry lab or a physics lab can be a dangerous place to work. To me, science can be really Macho! Yes, even more Macho than sports. In fact, the hard sciences are so freaking Macho that it makes football look like sissy wimpy girlie stuff!

For example:

The geologist exploring in the mountains climbing up a steep mountain slope or even the face of a rocky cliff to bring back rock sample to the lab, or the paleontologist exploring a cliff in search of fossils in the rock layers. They often find themselves exploring in some very hostile climate from really hot deserts to cold Arctic temperatures.

How about the archeologist? He often has to explore some really dangerous places. No, it's not like Indiana Jones. You only see that crazy shit in the movies, but still, it's not a piece of cake.

When a scientist works on government projects, those can be the most hazardous of all.

I can't think of any place more dangerous than a biology lab where they work with some of the worst viruses imaginable. There is all kinds of security measures and precautions that must be observed.

No, science is not sissy stuff! Far from it!

Someday I'm going to build a Tesla Coil. I already have a 15,000 vote transformer and a large spool of copper wire. I even have software installed on my computer to make the necessary calculations so I can properly design my Tesla coil.

I just need to get the materials to build a large capacitor and wind the coils. When it's finished, it will put out a million votes and produce blue sparks about 3 feet long.

I would like to see anybody call that sissy stuff!

Tesla coils are like, really cool, and super super Macho!

When I get my Tesla coil built, if some jock were to see it working, he would probably piss in his pants and cry for his Mama!

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Fat Man wrote:Someday I'm going to build a Tesla Coil. I already have a 15,000 vote transformer and a large spool of copper wire. I even have software installed on my computer to make the necessary calculations so I can properly design my Tesla coil.

I just need to get the materials to build a large capacitor and wind the coils. When it's finished, it will put out a million votes and produce blue sparks about 3 feet long.

I would like to see anybody call that sissy stuff!

Tesla coils are like, really cool, and super super Macho!

When I get my Tesla coil built, if some jock were to see it working, he would probably piss in his pants and cry for his Mama!
Damn, that sounds impressive! I've seen a few videos of those on YouTube before; the wonders of science never ceased to amaze me. The sheer size and scale of the Universe always had me captivated; a lot of people nowadays probably believe the Earth is the be-all and end-all when in actuality it's one of the smaller planets in our Solar System. To say we are the centre of the Universe is self-indulgent crap. There is so much yet to be found but the Universe is so gigantic we'll most likely all be long dead before they find intelligent life on another planet somewhere. Still, it's fun to think while the answers are hidden away!
Good luck with your Tesla coil project. It sounds like you know your stuff when it comes to this; yes, I think it sounds dangerous but risks have to be taken if you want to achieve great things. Which is more than I can say for my own actions in life! Perhaps you could make a YouTube video of your undertakings. I have to agree with you; working with such huge amounts of electric energy and data is far more challenging and engaging than chasing a ball round a field. The world cannot and will not be advanced through sports, as important as some people may regard them!

Best regards,
i_like_1981