FOOTBALL - LEGALIZED ASSAULT!!!

This forum is dedicated to expressing how much football and soccer suck!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

FOOTBALL - LEGALIZED ASSAULT!!!

Post by Fat Man »

Tonight, I found an anti-bullying forum at:
http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/bullying-forum/

So I registered as a new member. My user name there is Fat Man 1951

Anyway . . . .

Someone posted an article there in a topic titled Legalized assault (football)

And so, I have posted a copy of the article here for all to read.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... 2/18/pear/
ImageJeff Pearlman > PEARLS OF WISDOM
Former NFL star Dave Pear is sorry he ever played football
Story Highlights
Dave Pear went to the Pro Bowl and won a Super Bowl but can barely walk
Pear, 56, was initially denied disability benefits by NFL and now gets just $40,000
Pear is, in basic terms, a train wreck -- a football-inflicted train wreck

Dave Pear won a Super Bowl with the Raiders
in 1981, but today he can barely walk and is
in constant pain.

Dave Pear has a message for you.

"Don't let your kids play football," he says. "Never."

It is an odd thing, hearing these sort of words from a man like David Louis Pear, University of Washington standout, Pro Bowl defensive lineman for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Super Bowl champion with the Oakland Raiders. His five-year NFL career was one thousands of high school and college athletes would envy -- charging out of a darkened stadium tunnel, 70,000 fans screaming for you, loving you, praising you, idolizing you.

"You wanna know the truth?" says Pear.

The question lingers -- the 56-year-old ex-athlete preparing to unload one more skull-splitting hit.

"I wish I never played football. I wish that more than anything. Every single day, I want to take back those years of my life ..."

The words are not subtle. They spit from Pear's mouth, with a blistering contempt normally reserved for drunk drivers. We are speaking via phone. I am in New York, sipping a hot chocolate, leaning back in a chair. My two young children are asleep. A Pretenders song, "2000 Miles" plays in the background. No worries, no complexities. Pear is sitting at his home in Seattle. His neck hurts. His hips hurt. His knees hurt. His feet hurt. When he wakes up in the morning, pain shoots through his body. When he goes to sleep at night, pain shoots through his body. What does Pear do to stay active?

"My life is simple," he says. "It's hard to get out of bed, but eventually I do. I try and do a little walking on the treadmill. I take naps. I go to physical therapy once per week. I read my Bible."

He is, in basic terms, a train wreck -- a football-inflicted train wreck. Pear walks with a cane and, often, simply doesn't walk at all. He suffers from vertigo and memory loss. Over the past 18 years, he has undergone eight surgeries, beginning with a Posterior Cervical Laminectomy on his neck in 1981, and including disc removal and rod fusion in his back (1987), arthroplasty in his left hip (2008) and, earlier this year, four screws removed from his lower back. Though he chalks up his physical ailments to snap after snap of punishment, he pinpoints the biggest problems back to 1979 and '80, his final two NFL seasons. While playing for Oakland, Pear suffered a herniated disc in his neck that never improved. Despite the unbearable agony, he says the Raiders urged him to keep playing.

Be a man! Be tough! "Those last two years in Oakland were very, very difficult times," he says. "I was in pain 24 hours per day, and my employers failed to acknowledge my injury. Sure, I won a Super Bowl ring. But was it worth giving up my health for a piece of jewelry? No way. Those diamonds have lost their luster."

Throughout North America, many of Pear's retired football brethren hear his words and scream, Amen! Conrad Dobler, the legendary Cardinals offensive lineman, is about to go through his 32nd knee surgery. Wally Chambers, the Chicago Bears' three-time Pro Bowl defensive end, spends much of his time in a wheelchair. Earl Campbell, the powder blue bowling ball, struggles to walk and underwent surgery to remove three large bone spurs. The list is both heartbreaking and never-ending -- one NFL player after another after another, debilitated either mentally, physically, or both. I'm currently working on a book that has led me to interview more than 150 former players. I'd say 60 percent experience blistering pain from a sport they last played two decades ago.

"And the NFL," Pear says, "doesn't care."

Hence, he is fighting back. Two years ago, Pear started a blog, davepear.com, with the intent of supporting hobbled NFL veterans and calling out the league's laughable disability policy. Pear says he first applied for disability benefits in 1983, and was denied. He applied again in 1995, under a new provision that stated players would be compensated should they properly prove their injuries were permanently debilitating. A league-appointed physician examined Pear and filed a report stating that a man who once bench pressed 500 pounds could no longer sit, stand or bend for prolonged time periods.

To Pear's shock and dismay, benefits were again denied.

Finally, in 2009, Pear's request was accepted, and he now receives a whopping $40,000 annually. "Am I financially stable?" he asks with a laugh. "Let's put it this way. By the time I was 27 I had two children and medical bills that would reach $500,000. I can't work, my wife, Heidi, has had to hold two and sometimes three different jobs at the same time. And why? Because the NFL hasn't allowed me and my family to receiver proper benefits."

Pear pauses. He worries that he sounds like a typical whiner -- some ex-jock who didn't appreciate making it big. "This isn't even about me," he says. "It really isn't. There are guys so much worse off than me, it's criminal. We dreamed our whole lives to play professional football, and our dreams came true. And then they turn into nightmares."

Pear is blunt, like a rusty dental knife. He considered Gene Upshaw, the former NFL Players Association executive director, to be a criminal. "He was Ken Lay," he says of the deceased Enron CEO. "Same thing -- took all the veterans he supposedly represented for a ride." He holds out hope that Upshaw's replacement, DeMaurice Smith, might make things right. "I'm keeping an open mind," he says. "I hope Mr. Smith looks at the retired players and sees the wreckage.

"We need help," he says.

A long, painful sigh.

"We need help."

Jeff Pearlman can be reached at anngold22@gmail.com.
And yes, Jeff Pearlman put up his E-mail address on the web site article, which is the reason for my posting it here along with the above article.

I believe that this should serve as a warning to any high school student who is considering a career in professional football. This is cause to give any reasonably intelligent person second thoughts.

I think these ex-football players should go on tour, visiting high schools across the country to tell their stories about their injuries, and about being crippled up and in pain for the rest of their lives.

HELL!!! I, even I, would support paying their traveling expenses, if only it would help them to get their messages across to any kid who is thinking about becoming a professional football player. After hearing a lecture given by the professional ex-jocks, kids might have second thoughts.

Yes, all the money and all the glory that is heaped upon professional jocks, in the long run, it's just not worth it.

Yeah, the NFL doesn't care! They don't a flying fucking Hootenanny in Hell what-so-ever!!!

You know, sometimes I almost do feel sorry for some professional football players!

Well, actually, I have mixed emotions about all of this.

On the one hand, I feel like saying something like . . . . . Hey Jimbo Bubbah Booie! That's what you get for being such a stupid moron, getting into something that you should know is going to destroy your body and your mind!

But then, on the other hand . . . . . I'm thinking of his family, his wife and two kids who must see him day after day, all racked up in pain and just barely able to move about, how they must feel seeing him suffer so much.

So, why rub any more salt into open wounds?

Oh! How these professional jocks all loved football with all their hearts! They had been on the top of the heap, but football dose not love them! Football used and abused them and threw them away on the human scarp heap!

So, I say to all professional jocks . . . . .

Right now, you love football . . . . .

. . . . . but football does not love you!

Football will use you, and eventually turn against you, and betray you, and kick you when you're down!

Football is a whore!

Football is a Jezebel!

Leave her NOW, before she kills you!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Nick

Re: FOOTBALL - LEGALIZED ASSAULT!!!

Post by Nick »

You do realise this was back when football players made peanuts and weren't really covered for much, right? Way different now. When Tom Brady tore his ACL (Or whatever tendon that was) he wasn't forced to play, they let him take time off.
:'( im only 14! thats why im acting this way! )':
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Nick wrote:You do realise this was back when football players made peanuts and weren't really covered for much, right? Way different now. When Tom Brady tore his ACL (Or whatever tendon that was) he wasn't forced to play, they let him take time off.
BULLSHIT!

I'm 58 years old, so I should remember the 1970s and the 1980s.

Back in the mid to late 1970s when I was going to college at NMSU, New Mexico State University and taking courses in Astronomy and Physics, my Physics and Astronomy professors were paid about $32,000 dollars per year while the football coach was paid $86,000 dollars per year.

Back then, football players were paid more than mere "peanuts" and were making about a half million to over a millions dollars per year just for chasing a ball.

Yes, they are paid a lot more now, more like 3 to 5 million dollars per year, but back in the 1970s and 1980s it was not mere "peanuts" as you have indicated.

Jocks have always been over-paid and over privileged.

And they still suffer injuries that might leave them crippled for life.

So, the more things change, the more they stay the same!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Nick

Post by Nick »

Pretty fair trade-off. Do something you love and many love to watch, get paid millions, maybe have life long injuries.
:'( im only 14! thats why im acting this way! )':
Earl

Post by Earl »

I'm surprised you're not calling Dave Pear a whiner.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Nick wrote:Pretty fair trade-off. Do something you love and many love to watch, get paid millions, maybe have life long injuries.
I don't think you seem to care about all the suffering and hindrance caused by having a life-long injury. Nobody asks for them to happen, though. They can come to anyone at anytime. Doing something you love should not have to end this way, but I suppose with American football the risks are more than clear. But this guy should most definitely not have been denied benefits and the NFL who he gave his life and health to should have done more to help. What kind of moronic organisation would neglect its heroes? I'm not a fan of American football and I only have more contempt for its leagues and organisations now having read what happened to Dave Pear. These stories should receive a lot more attention in the press to show prospective pro sports players the truth behind their favourite games! Like alcohol, it may seem enjoyable at first but it's more than likely to turn against you and ruin your life and health in the end! It's best not to let the game take too much control over you if you wish to remain happy and healthy. Play football if you want (which nobody here does), but remember and acknowledge its dark side!

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
IntelligentSportsFan
Sportsman

Post by IntelligentSportsFan »

So one guy regretting he ever played football is an indictment against the entire sport? That seems a bit silly, if not outright excessive.

You'll always find disgruntled former players or employees from just about every single profession. That doesn't mean those professions are bad--just that the people in those professions had bad experiences. Mr. Pear may regret his experiences while playing football, but that doesn't mean the sport itself is bad.

I won't compare this to the military, of course. The two are nothing alike.

I know. You're probably looking at my username and saying "'IntelligentSportsFan'? You mean there are sports fans that aren't idiots? HAH!".

I suppose I can understand that. I can assure you that I am intelligent though. I love the team I root for, I'm passionate about being a fan, but I am by no means a moron.

Anyway, back to the article.

I can respect Mr. Pear's regrets of having played. The NFL back in the '70s and '80s was a far different league than the one you see today. Players were expected to be tough back then, and being "tough" often meant ignoring physical injuries however painful or serious they were. Nowadays, though, the NFL is smartening up, particularly concerning head injuries. If a player is injured, he doesn't step back onto the field unless he's been medically cleared, not just by the team's doctor, but after seeking a second opinion, possibly more. Even if a player wants to ignore the injury and get back onto the field, it's difficult to do that because coaches are reluctant to allow injured players to continue playing.

I suppose the point to all this is, while I can understand and respect the pain Mr. Pear is suffering from having played football, the fact is that the NFL today has changed completely from the way it was back then.

You suggested, Fat Man, that many of the NFL's former players suffering from old injuries and pain stemming from their playing days should tour the country and attempt to stop high school kids from wanting to play professional football. To be perfectly honest, I don't see that working very well. Why? Because there are far, far more success stories and former players who absolutely loved playing and whose only regret is getting too old to play.
Earl

Post by Earl »

Welcome to this forum, IntelligentSportsFan. Were you the one who left a message on the Guestbook page? I was just curious.

Thank you for a reasonable, well-written post. It's refreshing to read posts from someone who isn't trolling or being abusive. I prefer to use the Internet as a means of communication, not as a plaything or a weapon. Of course, since I started posting at websites in January of last year, I've had to learn some board messaging etiquette the hard way. Even as a moderator of this forum, I've had to "find my own voice" because I didn't always know what to say or sometimes, I regret to say, was afraid to speak my mind for one reason or another. Again, I welcome opportunities to discuss differences and share experiences without being abusive or hateful about it.

If you wouldn't mind telling us, I'd like to know how you heard about this website. I'd also like to know just enough about your background so we'll know where you're coming from, so to speak. Of course, don't tell too much about yourself so that unprincipled individuals would be able to determine your identity.

As I said in my response to the unidentified person who left a message on the Guestbook page, even though we (the currently active members of this forum who support this website) are a rather small group of people, we're quite diverse. We're certainly not all sedentary, as many would assume of those who are "sports haters." We don't all think alike. I don't even like the label "sports hater" because I find it to be too confining; and, besides, I don't hate people.

I'd also like to know what you hope to accomplish here, if anything. Maybe, as one of our formerly active critics once said, you just want to debate; or maybe you want to understand why we aren't sports fans. Anyway, welcome.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

Good evening IntelligentSportsFan and welcome to the forum.
IntelligentSportsFan wrote:You suggested, Fat Man, that many of the NFL's former players suffering from old injuries and pain stemming from their playing days should tour the country and attempt to stop high school kids from wanting to play professional football. To be perfectly honest, I don't see that working very well. Why? Because there are far, far more success stories and former players who absolutely loved playing and whose only regret is getting too old to play.
No, we only hear about the success stories and most of the stories of former players who are suffering is covered up.

I suggest you go to the topic that is titled Scientific Evidence - Football Causes Brain Damage
http://www.sportssuck.org/phpbb2/viewto ... f=2&t=4548

There you will find a copy of a NEWS article.

Here are some quotes . . . . .
Dr Anne McKee
The damage in their brains is actually worse than in the worst case of Alzheimer's disease.

Chris Nowinski
We canâ??t find a healthy brain in an ex-football player. Itâ??s quite scary.
And here's some more . . . . .
Chris Nowinski
Had I rested any of the concussions Iâ??d had, I wouldn't be in the position I was in because when you injure the brain and then you keep stressing it, you make the injury much worse. And so when he told me those two things in the fall of '03, I was like you know I've been banging my head for 11 years for fun, never thinking twice about it, like I can't believe no one ever told me that.

NARRATION
Suspecting a hidden epidemic, in 2005, Chris used his academic contacts to co-found a brain bank, and boldly started calling for top sportsmen to donate their brains. Dr Anne McKee is a brain pathologist with over 20 years experience - and a keen football fan. So when the first footballers' brains started turning up, she was curious â?? which soon turned to pure shock.
And some more . . . . .
Jonica Newby
How many brains of footballers do you have now?

Dr Anne McKee
We have 11 football players. We're seeing this change in every single one. So we know a substantial portion of individuals who've played football are going to come down with this disorder.

Jonica Newby
Every single brain so far?

Dr Anne McKee
Right.
Yeah! Sorry Jimbo, but almost every football player has some brain injuries. It's really not a safe sport at all. You could have some brain injuries and not even be aware of it.

So, that's why I say these ex-football players should go on tour and warn high school students of the dangers involved.

Actually, I believe that football should be taken out of our high schools, and that the game should only be played by those over the age of 18, when they're legally adults and are better able to make their own decisions as whether or not to pursue a career in football.

As I have said before, you only hear the success stories.

The sports medial likes to cover up everything else, like serious injuries, or violent crimes committed by some jocks.

I don't trust the sports media to give us the whole truth.

Sorry, but there is no Santa Clause, no Easter Bunny, and no Tooth Fairy.
Last edited by Fat Man on Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

greencom

Post by greencom »

IntelligentSportsFan wrote:So one guy regretting he ever played football is an indictment against the entire sport? That seems a bit silly, if not outright excessive.

You'll always find disgruntled former players or employees from just about every single profession. That doesn't mean those professions are bad--just that the people in those professions had bad experiences. Mr. Pear may regret his experiences while playing football, but that doesn't mean the sport itself is bad.

I won't compare this to the military, of course. The two are nothing alike.

I know. You're probably looking at my username and saying "'IntelligentSportsFan'? You mean there are sports fans that aren't idiots? HAH!".

I suppose I can understand that. I can assure you that I am intelligent though. I love the team I root for, I'm passionate about being a fan, but I am by no means a moron.

Anyway, back to the article.

I can respect Mr. Pear's regrets of having played. The NFL back in the '70s and '80s was a far different league than the one you see today. Players were expected to be tough back then, and being "tough" often meant ignoring physical injuries however painful or serious they were. Nowadays, though, the NFL is smartening up, particularly concerning head injuries. If a player is injured, he doesn't step back onto the field unless he's been medically cleared, not just by the team's doctor, but after seeking a second opinion, possibly more. Even if a player wants to ignore the injury and get back onto the field, it's difficult to do that because coaches are reluctant to allow injured players to continue playing.
Hi there, I'm glad you've chosen your particular forum name, you obviously see the need to use "intelligent" in your name to signify that you are unique among most of the other sports fans that post here. Very clever on your part. BTW, it seems that the players must be wussies now compared to the earlier days, boy they are crybabies.
IntelligentSportsFan
Sportsman

Post by IntelligentSportsFan »

So they've studied 11 football players' brains that all have shown some sort of brain damage. I'd really love to know whose brains they've studied.

Sure, playing football has inherent risks. So does being a construction worker, a fisherman, a hunter, an office secretary (carple tunnel's a nasty thing), an auto mechanic, a doctor, a policeman, a fireman, an EMT, etc. etc. etc.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

IntelligentSportsFan wrote:So they've studied 11 football players' brains that all have shown some sort of brain damage. I'd really love to know whose brains they've studied.

Sure, playing football has inherent risks. So does being a construction worker, a fisherman, a hunter, an office secretary (carple tunnel's a nasty thing), an auto mechanic, a doctor, a policeman, a fireman, an EMT, etc. etc. etc.
Yes, everything has it's risks.

But construction workers, fishermen, hunters, office secretaries, auto mechanics, doctors, police men, and firemen, and EMT, etc. etc. they don't butt heads against each other like billy-goats or block and tackle each other.

Most injuries on the job are accidental.

But football injuries are sometimes self inflicted or inflicted by another player.

greencom

Post by greencom »

IntelligentSportsFan wrote:So they've studied 11 football players' brains that all have shown some sort of brain damage. I'd really love to know whose brains they've studied.

Those other professionals you mention actually perform vital services to our society that we cannot do without unlike the totally pointless bullshit of professional sports, go ahead and give us the usual crap of how important sports is to all of us mere mortals, I need a good laugh! BTW athletes killing themselves out on the field just cleans op the gene pool, it may make people smarter eventually.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

greencom wrote:

Those other professionals you mention actually perform vital services to our society that we cannot do without unlike the totally pointless bullshit of professional sports, go ahead and give us the usual crap of how important sports is to all of us mere mortals, I need a good laugh! BTW athletes killing themselves out on the field just cleans op the gene pool, it may make people smarter eventually.
Yeah, you and I we just exposed Intelligent???SportsFan as just another MORON!!!

That's a High Five!!!

Earl

Post by Earl »

Careful with the name-calling. :( I'm sure the debate is not over. Remember, let's appreciate those who are civil. I certainly do, especially since the episode of the 4chan /sp/artan trolls. :roll: :lol:

By the way, unless I'm mistaken, the referenced article is about Australian rugby, not American football. Of course, I don't know if that makes any difference. :|