Introductions

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
i_like_1981

Re: Introductions

Post by i_like_1981 »

It seems to me that TheTacticalTom has tried to drop in memes that haven't been used on this site before. Why do these daft 4channers try so hard to give themselves away? I see you have opted for deletion of his account instead of the usual ban and rank change to SPAMMER. By the way, the next user who gets their rank changed to SPAMMER will be the 10th.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Oh, I know this is a bit late now, but here's another way in which Turudes' true identity could have really been found out:

Kindly pointed out by Nick on one of his Guestbook comments. Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Hello everybody, and good day to all. I just posted a comment in the Guestbook and registered for an account. I'm glad it was activated rather quick. So now I'd better introduce myself to my fellow sports haters.

Well, obviously my name's Gareth. And I sure as hell hate sports. Every day at work I have to endure the constant mumblings of my co-workers about which group of overpaid "heroes" succeeding in winning a game over the weekend or who is playing in some stupid ass tournament soon. It really, REALLY bores me. I mean, these people treat it like it has a direct effect on their lives. Does it? I sincerely doubt it. But they'd make it seem that way.

I'm having a day off at the moment due to sickness. And yes, being honest here, I don't think the constant bombardment of World Cup chatter in my office has helped matters much. It hasn't motivated me to work off my sickness or taken my mind off of bad things. I'm glad the USA are out, but sadly, it's not over yet, the whole tournament, and people are still talking about it, placing bets on who is going to win this "great prize" of some hideous looking chunk of yellow rock which is the World Cup itself, I think. I thought they'd drop it after the USA went out, but no, that's too much to ask. They've got to find another team to leech off or they feel they're missing out on something.

Missing out on what, though? Shouting at a bunch of dudes who get paid about as much as everyone in my office put together for playing some game? I don't call that "missing out". Some people need to re-evaluate themselves because I don't at all understand how some (read: most) people can get so passionate over a load of people they don't even know in real life.

Sporting activity itself is boring as well. I've read a lot of the posts on here already and one thing that does irritate me about it is how people are judged in life based on athletic ability. It's like, good personal qualities and academic achievement don't matter at all, isn't it, these days? It's stupid and annoying, and what's worse is how the damn teachers aren't too dissimilar to the bullies. They seem to give preferential treatment to some moron who's good at throwing a ball or something, but off the field he's useless. The education system here is messed up. The social hierarchy is messed up, with the losers at the top and the real winners, the academics, right at the bottom, but to be honest, I can't remember a time when it wasn't like that.

I didn't think I'd find a site like this but I'm gladly proven wrong now. Keep up the good work, all. For too long have sports and athletics been excessively praised and worshipped by all in our society at the expense of real important things. We need to make people know once and for all - in reality, they really aren't a big deal!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Let me be the first to welcome you to our forum here at Sports Suck.

Hope to see more of you.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Earl

Post by Earl »

Welcome, Gareth! :)
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

Welcome to the forum Gareth!
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
Nirvana
Sportsman

Post by Nirvana »

Hi everybody. After reading the posts on this forum for a couple of weeks, I've decided to take the next step and become a full-fledged member of this site.

A couple of things you will learn about me during my stay here: I AM a sports fan though i do not fit any of the preconceived notions many of the posters here believe in. I believe sports are essential to the well-being of the general public through many facets including physical fitness and entertainment. I do however believe the inflated salaries athletes are payed are in many cases ridiculous and unnecessarily extravagant.

I hope to engage in intelligent and thoughtful debate with forum members and present a different side to the arguments here.

Sincerely,

Nirvana
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Nirvana wrote:Hi everybody. After reading the posts on this forum for a couple of weeks, I've decided to take the next step and become a full-fledged member of this site.

A couple of things you will learn about me during my stay here: I AM a sports fan though i do not fit any of the preconceived notions many of the posters here believe in. I believe sports are essential to the well-being of the general public through many facets including physical fitness and entertainment. I do however believe the inflated salaries athletes are payed are in many cases ridiculous and unnecessarily extravagant.

I hope to engage in intelligent and thoughtful debate with forum members and present a different side to the arguments here.

Sincerely,

Nirvana
Good evening Nirvana

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum.

You should know, I absolutely hate sports with the purplest of passions and I'm probably one of the most radical and the most outspoken member here on these forums. As you can see by my avatar, I'm known here as The Judge. I like to think of myself and The Hanging Judge! Ha! Ha!

For a sports fan you sound like a reasonable person. We both agree that professional athletes are over paid and certainly over privileged, even though I don't share your interest in sports itself.

For me, I don't find sports to be entertaining, and from my own experience in school, physical fitness meant building up the body while tearing down the mind.

I have seen how the quality of education in the USA has been on the decline because our schools placed more emphasis on athletics over academics.

The chart below shows the results.

When I was in high school, my science teacher was also the school's football coach. As I have mentioned so may times before, during football season, he was too damn busy coaching his team of pre-frontally lobotomized baboons to be teaching in my science class, so he would set up the movie projector and go out the door leaving us all sitting in the dark to watch a bunch of stupid cartoons.

In English Literature class we only played Charades, we we didn't learn jack-shit in my high school. All we learned was how to fold paper footballs!

Yeah! This is what the future holds for so many high school students in the USA.

Anyway . . .

Once again, I welcome you to our forums.

Yo,all keep coming back now! ya hear!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Nirvana wrote:Hi everybody. After reading the posts on this forum for a couple of weeks, I've decided to take the next step and become a full-fledged member of this site.

Sincerely,

Nirvana
Hello Nirvana, and welcome. You seem pretty reasonable based on your opening post. Yes, I too would like to have some proper debate on here as well, but all we've been having recently are lying spammers who don't have any purpose on here but to mess us around. Feel free to come back whenever you want and ask some questions.

My first question to you is - what exactly does your avatar depict? My guess is that it's a logo for some sports team. Regardless of what it is, it looks pretty grand. It'll be hard to overlook your posts with that avatar!

I see what you mean about sports being essential to the public's well being. I myself don't have any problem with physical fitness and activity and have started going to the gym on a weekly basis this year. What does bother me is the intolerance displayed by certain sports fans towards those who have little or no interest in watching or playing the games. It happened to me a lot in high school. I was often targeted by the bullies in my high school for being more of an academic than an athletic character. We aren't so big on the jock culture over here. Several of my bullies were sports players but some happened to be just general fuckwits who couldn't do anything academically and decided to vent their anger on those who they considered both smarter and weaker.

But although not all of my bullying was sports-related, it seems to me that a lot of my harassment was down to the fact I was openly disinterested in watching and playing sports. I don't see any justification in that, especially the watching part. I just fail to see why a person would be targeted for not wanting to watch strangers play a game or supporting a different team to another person. To sum up, Nirvana - I just don't see why it is so important to some people why everybody likes sports. It is those who use the sporting activities and culture as a way of bullying and excluding others that bother me the most. It gets to me even now.

So, be seeing you, Nirvana.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Nirvana
Sportsman

Post by Nirvana »

i_like_1981 wrote:
Hello Nirvana, and welcome. You seem pretty reasonable based on your opening post. Yes, I too would like to have some proper debate on here as well, but all we've been having recently are lying spammers who don't have any purpose on here but to mess us around. Feel free to come back whenever you want and ask some questions.

My first question to you is - what exactly does your avatar depict? My guess is that it's a logo for some sports team. Regardless of what it is, it looks pretty grand. It'll be hard to overlook your posts with that avatar!
My avatar depicts the crest of my favorite football club, Real Madrid CF.
I see what you mean about sports being essential to the public's well being. I myself don't have any problem with physical fitness and activity and have started going to the gym on a weekly basis this year. What does bother me is the intolerance displayed by certain sports fans towards those who have little or no interest in watching or playing the games. It happened to me a lot in high school. I was often targeted by the bullies in my high school for being more of an academic than an athletic character. We aren't so big on the jock culture over here. Several of my bullies were sports players but some happened to be just general fuckwits who couldn't do anything academically and decided to vent their anger on those who they considered both smarter and weaker.
I understand many peoples frustrations towards sports fans and jocks alike. Some sports fans are perhaps spurred on by aggression displayed in such sports as rugby, American football or hockey, but I do not believe the aggression demonstrated is caused solely by sports. I rather believe it is endemic to the perpetrator, with factors such as family situations, environment and low self esteem being contributing elements towards the fostering of aggression. Therefore, I do not believe it would be fair to characterize sports fans as such types of people.
But although not all of my bullying was sports-related, it seems to me that a lot of my harassment was down to the fact I was openly disinterested in watching and playing sports. I don't see any justification in that, especially the watching part. I just fail to see why a person would be targeted for not wanting to watch strangers play a game or supporting a different team to another person. To sum up, Nirvana - I just don't see why it is so important to some people why everybody likes sports. It is those who use the sporting activities and culture as a way of bullying and excluding others that bother me the most. It gets to me even now.
I don't understand others intolerance based off of personal preference. To me, whatever you like to do you should be allowed to do. I and many others just find sports entertaining to watch because of others talent and ability.
So, be seeing you, Nirvana.

Best regards,
i_like_1981
Thanks! Hope to be around this forum for a while. :D
Earl

Post by Earl »

Welcome to the forum, Nirvana! I'm currently on vacation; so, I'm having to rely upon someone else to use her computer. I'll have more to say when I have more time to write. Again, welcome! :)
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Earl

Post by Earl »

Yes, I'm a moderate; but I still have strong convictions. I have no problem with people enjoying sports either as a participant or a fan until other people's rights are infringed. I will cite just one example now. Many people wrongly believe that forcing nonathletic students to play sports in sports-centered P.E. classes will encourage them to become physically fit. The actual result has been the opposite. For generations traditional P.E. has been the bane of existence for nonathletic students, especially boys. Granted, there has been a movement to reform P.E. in the United States; but the success of this movement is not guaranteed. What frustrates me is that so many people who advocate mandatory P.E. don't seem to be able to recognize that a sport (which is a contest) is not a physical fitness program. Participating in a sport may help a person who is already in shape stay that way, but the quickest and most efficient way for a nonathletic person to get into shape is by getting on an exercise program. I've chosen to work with a personal trainer on a bodybuilding program at a local health club. As I've said many other times elsewhere, I actually get more exercise in a single workout session with my personal trainer than I ever did in an entire year of mandatory sports-centered P.E. In fact, in all the years I was forced to take P.E., I never even heard of exercise programs or bodybuilding. The emphasis was solely centered around sports, and even instruction about sports wasn't provided. I'm convinced that the sports-centered approach to P.E. has done more to promote bullying in the schools than any other factor. Historically this approach has created tension between school athletes and nonathletic students.

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

It's not sports itself, but rather, the cultural mystique that revolves around sports.

Archery is a sport, and I'm sure that I would enjoy that, or skeet shooting is a sport I would probably enjoy.

I tried golf, but to me it was boring. I call it Cow Pasture Pool. It's even more boring to watch than it is to actually play.

I like bowling. More fun to do than to watch, but I don't think it's considered a sport. I really don't know.

Now hang gliding is a sport I actually enjoy watching. Of course, since I weigh 400 pounds, I don't know if I could to it. But then, I heard that there was some guy who weighed about 350 pounds who was the heaviest hang glider pilot on record using a specially designed harness on a two-man glider. So, maybe.

I would love to try flying in a motorized ultra-lite plane. Some are designed to carry two men, or one of me. I weigh somewhat more then two average sized men combined, more like two and a half.

Then there is scuba diving. That's a sport. I love to swim. Actually, we fat people don't swim. We float! But I would love to take scuba diving lessons if only I could afford it.

So, like, yeah! There are some sports that I would enjoy.

Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

Hello Nirvana welcome to sportssuck! :D
I believe sports are essential to the well-being of the general public through many facets including physical fitness and entertainment.
This is where I disagree completely. I hope you expand on this much much more. No sorry, sports isn't the ONLY way to stay healthy, I'm not buying it. I get frustrated when I hear people say like it is. Things like swimming, riding your bike, jogging, doing martial arts are a few examples. Working out regularly isn't enough, eating healthy and having good hygiene completes the package. I realized in this forum we're often ambigious when we say "sports", so I'll ask specifically at what level of sports, professional, amateur, or simply recreational or sports in general. As for the entertainment, there are an infinite number of alternatives that I could list. What exactly about sports makes them "essential" to society?
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
Nirvana
Sportsman

Post by Nirvana »

Indurrago wrote:Hello Nirvana welcome to sportssuck! :D
Thanks!

This is where I disagree completely. I hope you expand on this much much more. No sorry, sports isn't the ONLY way to stay healthy, I'm not buying it.

Nor did I say they were. The reason why I say that they are essential is because in many cases children and adults alike do not find activities like jogging or biking to be very fun. Now obviously some do, and I myself love to run and mountain bike in my free time, but many choose to do sports because they find them fun and give them a chance to socialize with all of their friends and make new ones. So to me and many others sports provide a fun alternative to normal exercise.
I realized in this forum we're often ambigious when we say "sports", so I'll ask specifically at what level of sports, professional, amateur, or simply recreational or sports in general.

Obviously for most people "sports" refers to the recreational level of play. However without professional sports in existence, many young kids do not have the desire to become great at a particular sport, something that can be greatly beneficial to a child's future. This is something i will expand upon in a later thread.
As for the entertainment, there are an infinite number of alternatives that I could list. What exactly about sports makes them "essential" to society?
Why do you find music or movies entertaining? Is it because of the artistic value or creativity? Sports entertainment is the exact same thing with many players crafting their own techniques and styles which is identical to the way a band performs or an actor showcases his or her ability.

I feel that sports are essential because of reasons i listed above, as in an alternative way to exercise and another form of entertainment.