Introductions

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
i_like_1981

Re: Introductions

Post by i_like_1981 »

Hello, I Hate Stats Junkies. Good to see you around again. You did say that you weren't a message board guy so you wouldn't be likely to return, but may I say, good to see you posting once more.
First of all, it creates absurd social hierarchies within schools (a jock-ocracy, if you will). Since athletic ability is valued above all else in our backwards society (a fact that makes my blood boil just thinking about it) the jocks are always the most popular guys in the school, revered by all their mindless, herd-mentality classmates...
This is one thing that also gets my blood boiling. Although I come from England, where sports don't seem to play as great a part in social status and prestige in high schools as they do over in America, it really gets me annoyed to hear about all these American football players being allowed to run rampant around your high schools, inflicting emotional and even physical abuse upon their weaker peers, and often being let off lightly due to the fact that the schools place such an emphasis upon their sporting departments. I can only attribute this to the influence that the massive professional sports industries of the world work upon the people of their countries. These ball games have, unfortunately, become associated with glory in many countries and it's an absolute farce compared to what others do to serve their societies. Hearing about all this really makes me very cynical about this world we live in.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Welcome Solaris!

Let me be the first to welcome you to our anti-sports forum!!!

I checked your profile.
Location:San Diego, California, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Interests: Technology, Video Games, Art, Science, Math, Reading
Cool, really cool!

Looking forward to seeing your forum posts.

I also share the same interests.

Once again, a hardy hail and welcome!!!

Don't be a stranger now! :D :D :D
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Solaris
Location: San Diego, California, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Solaris »

Fat Man wrote:Welcome Solaris!

I checked your profile.
Location:San Diego, California, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Cool, really cool!

Thank you Fat Man! I've been reading this forum since about November 2010 and decided that I should set up an account to start posting. I am 10 years old as of March 7, 2011 and my friends and I have decided that sports are unnecessary and a waste of time, along with the fact that sports players get lower scores on tests ( We have proof at our school ). I've already read all of the members' biographies, so don't worry, you don't have to post your life story here. I am an excellent student and recieve A+'s on my tests quite often. I enjoy playing video games, technology, art, reading, science, and math. So, I hope to see you again soon!

- Solaris
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

Welcome to the club Solaris! :)
Solaris
Location: San Diego, California, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Solaris »

recovering_fan wrote:Welcome to the club Solaris! :)
Thanks recovering_fan! :D
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Solaris wrote:
Fat Man wrote:Welcome Solaris!

I checked your profile.

Cool, really cool!

Thank you Fat Man! I've been reading this forum since about November 2010 and decided that I should set up an account to start posting. I am 10 years old as of March 7, 2011 and my friends and I have decided that sports are unnecessary and a waste of time, along with the fact that sports players get lower scores on tests ( We have proof at our school ). I've already read all of the members' biographies, so don't worry, you don't have to post your life story here. I am an excellent student and recieve A+'s on my tests quite often. I enjoy playing video games, technology, art, reading, science, and math. So, I hope to see you again soon!

- Solaris
I also enjoy video games.

Actually, simulators. I have the Microsoft Train Simulator, and it's like operating a real locomotive, and takes as much skill to operate as the real thing. Yeah, I should know, I've had some really spectacular train wrecks when I was first learning how to use it.

I have also installed all of the add-ons.

Microsoft Train Simulator
Regional Add-On Pack - USA and Canada
Pro Train 1 - Rhine Vally Cologne - Frankfurt
Pro Train 2 - Saxony: Leipzig - Riesa - Dresden
German Railroads Volume 1
German Railroads Volume 2
High Speed Trains
Heidi-Express
Scenic Railway

Of course, right now I have to use the mouse to operate the controls, but eventually I'll get the control panel that plugs into a USB port and the installation CD comes with it to install the necessary software.

I have diesel locomotives, electric locomotives, and two steam locomotives, the Flying Scotchman and The Oriental Express.

Among my other interests, like science, especially Astronomy, I also have a passion for trains, and eventually I'm going to get the Microsoft Flight Simulator. So, I also love airplanes!

Anyway, once again . . . . .

Welcome!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

Welcome Solaris!
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
Earl

Post by Earl »

Welcome to the forum, Solaris! :D
Solaris wrote:Thank you Fat Man! I've been reading this forum since about November 2010 and decided that I should set up an account to start posting. I am 10 years old as of March 7, 2011 and my friends and I have decided that sports are unnecessary and a waste of time, along with the fact that sports players get lower scores on tests ( We have proof at our school ). I've already read all of the members' biographies, so don't worry, you don't have to post your life story here. I am an excellent student and recieve A+'s on my tests quite often. I enjoy playing video games, technology, art, reading, science, and math. So, I hope to see you again soon!

- Solaris
I didn't write as well as you when I was your age, Solaris; and I certainly didn't excel academically as you are now. You're to be commended. Keep up the good work! 8) Throughout the rest of your education, don't ever let anyone or anything discourage you. Your perseverance will pay off in the long as well as the short run. Hope to hear from you again. :)
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

Welcome Solaris, and happy belated birthday! Welcome to double digit age -- although for me, after four decades, the newness has worn off! :lol:

Watching sports is one of the biggest time-suckers, and for some of the least reward, that people participate in. It took me over 30 years to realize (and admit) that; I'm glad you've made that realization much earlier than me.

When I was in middle school (about the age you are now), I won the school spelling bee all three years I was there (4th, 5th, and 6th grades). I was reading at a fourth-grade level by kindergarten, and adult-level books by early grade-school years. (My mother told me the story of how she went to parent-teacher conferences in kindergarten, and the teacher told her that whenever the class was reading a story about dinosaurs, the teacher would ask me to help her pronounce the dinosaur names correctly.

(Yeah, gang, I know I'm tooting my own horn here, but if OMGDudewhat can brag about his percentage of body fat, why can't I brag a little on my intellectualism? :wink: )

The thing is, despite all this, I wasn't well-respected in high school, because....drum roll please.....I wasn't good at sports!

So, Solaris, it's great that you have friends who feel the same way you do, and hopefully you'll all stick together throughout school and resist the pressure to conform to the "jock-ocracy".

Hope you'll keep posting and let us know how things are going! :)
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Welcome to the forum Solaris. I can't seem to find your actual introductory post - all I can see is a post from me at the top of this page and then Fat Man welcoming you to the forum. Well, good to have you round. And for a 10-year-old, you sure seem to have pretty damn good spelling and grammar. There are plenty of adults here on the internet who can't even type as well as you, so I would feel quite smug about that. It seems you've been reading our forum for a few months now - I always wonder who is lurking round, observing our posts and deciding whether or not they should join. It's definitely one-of-a-kind, this forum, speaking as a member with quite a lot of posts to his name. If you're cynical about the sports culture, and there's plenty of reasons to be, then this is exactly the place you want to be. As a British person I never had to put up with all this bullcrap you Americans have to endure about high school sports players getting given preferential treatment by their teachers to the extent where they don't even have to work at all to get good grades so they can play their daft games - the sports seem to be glorified far more over in America, especially at a high school level. That's not to say that plenty of sports fans over here aren't complete selfish and obnoxious pillocks whose idea of fun is downing enough beer to sink a car in and then trashing their towns because some group of men who they claim to "support" either lost or won. Yes, the hooligans even go mad when their teams win. How's that for insanity! Anyway, welcome to the forum and I shall hope to see you around here again. The more the merrier!

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Solaris

Post by Solaris »

i_like_1981 wrote:Welcome to the forum Solaris. I can't seem to find your actual introductory post - all I can see is a post from me at the top of this page and then Fat Man welcoming you to the forum. Well, good to have you round. And for a 10-year-old, you sure seem to have pretty damn good spelling and grammar. There are plenty of adults here on the internet who can't even type as well as you, so I would feel quite smug about that. It seems you've been reading our forum for a few months now - I always wonder who is lurking round, observing our posts and deciding whether or not they should join. It's definitely one-of-a-kind, this forum, speaking as a member with quite a lot of posts to his name. If you're cynical about the sports culture, and there's plenty of reasons to be, then this is exactly the place you want to be. As a British person I never had to put up with all this bullcrap you Americans have to endure about high school sports players getting given preferential treatment by their teachers to the extent where they don't even have to work at all to get good grades so they can play their daft games - the sports seem to be glorified far more over in America, especially at a high school level. That's not to say that plenty of sports fans over here aren't complete selfish and obnoxious pillocks whose idea of fun is downing enough beer to sink a car in and then trashing their towns because some group of men who they claim to "support" either lost or won. Yes, the hooligans even go mad when their teams win. How's that for insanity! Anyway, welcome to the forum and I shall hope to see you around here again. The more the merrier!

Best regards,
i_like_1981
Well, actually my indroductory post was after Fat Man's welcome. Strange how in Britain the hooligans trash the town, while here in San Diego, CA, the sports fans don't really seem to care once their game is over, but of course, during a game, they scream at the top of their lungs. Once, my family went to dinner at a nice restaurant, but the stadium about 1/2 a mile away was so loud we couldn't hear each other across the table.

In other news, I recieved my 2nd semester's report card. I was quite proud of my grades, I wonder how the sports fans did, for I heard somebody recieved a 37% on their History test.

See you all soon, I must do my homework and practice the piano.
Jockbane
One-post wonder

Post by Jockbane »

So I just joined, and I wanted to say how happy I am that this website exists. I have always had a strong dislike of sports, in part because I fail to find what is interesting about some one playing with a ball, (or oblong in the case of football) and also because sports have proven to be the bane of my existence time and time again. From high-school where I was beaten and humiliated by jocks, to college where I get to see money spent on stadiums instead of classrooms or other things that actually have to do with education, and now as I train to become a educator, I have a front row seat to see how they damage schools.

For so long I thought I was nearly alone (nearly, my girlfriend hates sports too, that is one reason why she is my fiancé now.) I live in Texas were sports (mainly football) are less a pastime and more of a religion. Even when I am amongst friends, I am mocked when I don't know who a famous player is, or when I admit I don't know who is playing in the super bowl. So I am thrilled be on words to find A site like this. I am glad to be here and look forward to getting to know fellow sports haters and sharing stories about our mutual hatred.
Earl

Post by Earl »

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum, jockbane! :)

You have come to the right place, and I know exactly what you're talking about. Since I grew up in the state of Texas, I know quite well how football has become a sort of religion instead of a form of recreation. I once had occasion to be interviewed at an employment agency when I was 26 years old. The lady who was interviewing me turned out to be the mother of one of the football players who was in my high-school class. When she noticed from my application that I had graduated from her son's high school the same year he did, she asked me if I had ever heard of him. (I should point out that I had never had even the slightest interest in football; so, I never paid attention to our high-school team's playing efforts.) Anyway, I politely told her that I may have heard of him but I wasn't sure. She nearly became hysterical as if I had insulted every member of her family. Someone else in the office had to fill in for her. I'm not exaggerating here at all. It really happened that way. I was astounded.

As you know perfectly well, I could go on and on; but time does not currently permit. As you can see below, I've copied and pasted most of a post I once submitted to give new members of this forum background info about me so they would know a little bit about me and what my point of view regarding sports generally is.

Marital Status: Happily married for over 30 years. Proud father of two daughters.

Political affiliation: None. Was liberal when I was younger.

Religion: Christian (member of a church of Christ). "Funny mentalist" who believes in the Genesis account of creation.

Hobbies: Bodybuilding (more than just a hobby -- for the sake of my physical and mental health), currently writing a novella.

Choice of entertainment: Reading horror fiction (favorite authors: Robert Bloch, Richard Matheson, Charles Beaumont, Ray Bradbury, and Dean Koontz); also a Harry Potter fan; watching episodes of The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits (first season only), The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, and Thriller from the early 1960's; big Mystery Science Theater 3000 fan; listening to certain rock songs from the 1960s and 1970s, decreasing in number from the 1980s to the present.

Brief summary of views about sports: I regard athletes and coaches as individuals, not as a group. I refuse to put them on a pedestal, but also try to not engage in negative stereotyping. Although I have never had any interest in sports, I respect athleticism as an endeavor requiring dedication and self-discipline. No, I don't favor taking team sports out of schools; but neither do I think that athletics should be emphasized over academics. I am a physically active man who knows that high levels of fitness can be achieved without participating in sports. I recognize that there is no debating personal preferences. I'm not opposed to ball games; I'm opposed to negative aspects of the sports culture. I have a low opinion of the sports media -- which (I believe) does not function as a journalistic institution, but only serves as a propaganda mill whose purpose is to turn as many people as possible into sports fans. I'm adamantly opposed to mandatory sports-based P.E. Instead, I favor the retention of the "old P.E." as an elective for athletic students and genuine fitness classes for the nonathletes. I'm concerned about the negative stereotyping of nonathletic boys and detest cliques and bullying.

Life experiences relevant to views of sports: (1) From the 4th grade through junior high (exempted from P.E. in high school as a band student), endured mandatory sports-based P.E., which was absolutely terrible and a waste of time for nonathletic boys. Have been a member of a health club for several years and have enjoyed and benefited from it immensely. The point? I know what works and what doesn't work for nonathletic guys. (2) Was being picked on in the eighth grade, low self-confidence, grades falling. Was therefore sent by parents to a psychologist who turned out to be incompetent. Psychologist sent me to dojo (judo school) taught by former white university football player, who turned out to be the epitome of machismo with an ugly physique. Always felt like an outsider in his judo classes. Felt like he was patronizing me when he promoted me to brown belt (a promotion I did not deserve). Quit in three years. Looked up same instructor eight years later. Instructor claims he "saved (me) from homosexuality," despite the fact that I never had homosexual tendencies. Went on to say that nonathletic men were not "real men." The year before, I had come across a hateful book by a New York sociology professor (Patricia Cayo Sexton) denouncing nonathletic boys and men as "feminized males" with patently false stereotypes. Explained a lot to me. Hence, my strong aversion to the negative stereotyping of nonathletic boys.

Personal views of this website: I consider myself to be a moderate with strong views. We make the very big mistake of succumbing to prejudice and bigotry if we don't recognize individual athletes who are decent persons and young men/women of good will. After all, PE4Life (which benefits nonathletes in more ways than one) was designed by a coach; and one of its leading proponents is a former high-school football player.

Other info: I believe in being civil, try to be understanding, and do have a sense of humor.
By the way, my wife is a former high-school teacher; and our older daughter is currently in her second year of teaching. Needless to say, I have a lot of sympathy for most teachers.

Again, welcome to the forum! Please post often. We need all the posts we can get.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

Welcome Jockbane!
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

Jockbane wrote:So I just joined, and I wanted to say how happy I am that this website exists. I have always had a strong dislike of sports, in part because I fail to find what is interesting about some one playing with a ball, (or oblong in the case of football) and also because sports have proven to be the bane of my existence time and time again. From high-school where I was beaten and humiliated by jocks, to college where I get to see money spent on stadiums instead of classrooms or other things that actually have to do with education, and now as I train to become a educator, I have a front row seat to see how they damage schools.

For so long I thought I was nearly alone (nearly, my girlfriend hates sports too, that is one reason why she is my fiancé now.) I live in Texas were sports (mainly football) are less a pastime and more of a religion. Even when I am amongst friends, I am mocked when I don't know who a famous player is, or when I admit I don't know who is playing in the super bowl. So I am thrilled be on words to find A site like this. I am glad to be here and look forward to getting to know fellow sports haters and sharing stories about our mutual hatred.
Hey Jockbane!

That's an interesting user name you have there!

Have you ever heard of wolves-bane?

It's a small blue flower, and there is an old folks tale, a superstition, that if you wear wolves-bane around your neck, it would keep the werewolves away. I once saw something about that a long time ago on the TV series Dark Shadows.

So, wouldn't it be nice, if there actually was an herbal green leafy plant with some kind of small flowers called jocks-bane?

We could wear it around our necks to keep the jocks away! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Anyway . . . . .

Welcome to our anti-sports forum.