Introductions

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Solaris
Location: San Diego, California, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Re: Introductions

Post by Solaris »

Hello Jockbane, I hope we can get along well, welcome to the forum! Interesting username, where did you get it from? I can guess jock from well, jocks, but what about bane?

It has a peculiar ring to it, once again, welcome to the forum!
Fat Man wrote: So, wouldn't it be nice, if there actually was an herbal green leafy plant with some kind of small flowers called jocks-bane?

We could wear it around our necks to keep the jocks away! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
If only a plant like that existed... what a nice plant that would be, it seems very pretty, in the way you described it, Fat Man.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Hello and welcome to the forum Jockbane. I guess that you have given yourself that name because jocks are the bane of your life. Looks like we're on the same page. Yes, I have read all sorts of stories on this board about how massive an entity high school sports are and it seems a lot worse over in America than it does over in my home country, the UK. Sure, PE is mandatory up to a point in high schools here and every school does have sports teams, but these things like pep rallies... we don't take our high school sports so far over here. Nonetheless, that didn't save me from the wrath of my former tormentors at high school, many of whom were athletic or obsessed with watching pro-league sports. Sports are damaging to the education process - I've heard how teachers over in the USA are being laid off so that there can be more money for athletic coaches and stupid sports venues. It's like these people are forgetting the true purpose of schools - to produce intellects, not brain-dead macho men who really don't know anything apart from sports! Sports have become too big in society for my liking and there are quite a few fans and players who really will treat you as if you're inferior if you reveal your dislike of sports to them. I have no problem with people liking sports, but if they're going to harass those who aren't interested in them then there most certainly is a problem! Anyways, welcome to the forum. Hope to see you around.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Stardust

Post by Stardust »

Hello, new here and wanted to say a quick hello..I found this site on a whim over my frustration over everybody's sports excitement everywhere I turn..I found this site in a google search for "Why I hate sports"..I thought I was the only guy who's not into it..I used to watch the big 4 sports, baseball, football, hockey and basketball..Now I can't stomach watching sports at all..Puts me to sleep and makes me sick..Baseball season has started and everybody is in a frenzy here over the Red Sox / Yankees rivalry..everybody except me..Why anybody would want to waste 4 hours watching a game is beyond me..Why spend whole weekend glued to the TV watching sports..Get up and go outside..there is a whole wonderful world out there!

People and family members tell me that it's only entertainment that I myself have things that I like to watch..True, but the entertainment I watch is actually good!

I wanted to say hello..My name is Mike, I'm 51, live in Massachusetts USA..

I may post here occasionally depending on how my sports hatred goes..
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Stardust wrote:Hello, new here and wanted to say a quick hello..I found this site on a whim over my frustration over everybody's sports excitement everywhere I turn..I found this site in a google search for "Why I hate sports"..I thought I was the only guy who's not into it..I used to watch the big 4 sports, baseball, football, hockey and basketball..Now I can't stomach watching sports at all..Puts me to sleep and makes me sick..Baseball season has started and everybody is in a frenzy here over the Red Sox / Yankees rivalry..everybody except me..Why anybody would want to waste 4 hours watching a game is beyond me..Why spend whole weekend glued to the TV watching sports..Get up and go outside..there is a whole wonderful world out there!

People and family members tell me that it's only entertainment that I myself have things that I like to watch..True, but the entertainment I watch is actually good!

I wanted to say hello..My name is Mike, I'm 51, live in Massachusetts USA..

I may post here occasionally depending on how my sports hatred goes..
Good evening Stardust:

Allow me to be the first to welcome you to our anti-sports forum!

Nah! I never liked the Red Sox either!

I prefer cotton sox myself. They're more comfortable!

Yeah! I know, dumb joke!

Anyway . . .

I bid you welcome!!! :D :D :D

Hope to see more forum posts.

Don't be a stranger now! OK?
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Hello again Stardust!!!

I checked your profile, and I see you like star gazing. I guess you mean Astronomy, that you like to go out at night with a telescope and look up at the stars and planets.

I have always been interested in Astronomy.

This is the photo I have on my computer desk top.

We love the stars too fondly to be fearful or the night!

Once again Stardust, welcome to our forum.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Stardust

Post by Stardust »

Hey thanks for the welcome Fat Man..I do love looking up at the stars and that seems only natural for someone who's a total science fiction fanatic..Maybe that's where my hatred of sports comes about. I go to the Star Trek convention in Vegas each August and us trekkies get looked at as strange and wierd..Luckily I haven't had too many bad experiences..But my thing is; it's ok for someone to wear a football jersey around but if someone where a science fiction costume they are a strange freak? What's the difference?!!

I've been looking up at the stars and dreaming for as long as I an remember..Luv the pics you posted..

I'll try to pop in occasionally and say hey!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

Stardust wrote:Hey thanks for the welcome Fat Man..I do love looking up at the stars and that seems only natural for someone who's a total science fiction fanatic..Maybe that's where my hatred of sports comes about. I go to the Star Trek convention in Vegas each August and us trekkies get looked at as strange and wierd..Luckily I haven't had too many bad experiences..But my thing is; it's ok for someone to wear a football jersey around but if someone where a science fiction costume they are a strange freak? What's the difference?!!

I've been looking up at the stars and dreaming for as long as I an remember..Luv the pics you posted..

I'll try to pop in occasionally and say hey!
Hello again, again, Stardust!

I'm also a Star Trek fan.

Hey! I like your avatar! You look really cool there Dude! 8) 8) 8)

I'm glad you like my Astronomy pics.

You should also checkout my many forum posts in Off Topics.

Yes, I posted a lot of political stuff, but I have also posted topics on science, Astronomy, and Evolution, etc. etc.

I support Darwin's Theory of Evolution.

As you can see, from my Avatar, I joined these forums back in February 12,2009 which was on the 200th birthday of Charles Darwin.

I also have my own channel on YouTube you might want to check out.

Science Wins! Creationism Loses! We have the fossils! WE WIN!
BigFatMan1951's Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/BigFatMan1951

I live in Texas, and I have some very strong issues with our State Board of Education (Indoctrination) because they have voted on textbooks that will be used for the next 10 years.

Here is a link to my feature video on YouTube.

Don McLeroy - The Creationist in Charge of Education in Texas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGmli0YI ... ideo_title
--------------------------------------------------
Uploaded by BigFatMan1951 on Jul 18, 2010

March 11, 2010 on ABC Nightline:

Fundamentalist Christian dentist (hey! That rhymes!) Don McLeory, promotes drastic curriculum change for school textbooks in the state of Texas.

Among some of the proposed changes would be to remove any mention of Thomas Jefferson from the history textbooks and replace him with John Calvin, a raving maniac who a few centuries ago had people tortured in the name of his religion.

This, of course, is not mentioned in the NEWS clipping on the video above, but many other purposed changes are mentioned.

Don McLeoroy was eventually voted out of the Texas State Board of Education, but it's too late, because the board has selected the Textbooks that will be used for the next 10 years, so we're all screwed!

Category: Education

Tags: Education Science History Evolution Board of Education
--------------------------------------------------

I had downloaded the original copy of the video from ABC NEWS NIGHTLINE and saved it to my computer, then I up-loaded the video to my own channel so that I could add my own annotations to the video which I believe you might find rather amusing!

Fortunately, Don McLeroy was voted out of office on the board of education, but the damage is done. They want to insert Creationist fairy tale into the science textbooks.

The state of Texas buys up more textbooks than all the other states, so we have a bigger influence on what the other states buy for their schools, so I fear that Texas will drag the quality of education across the USA down even further into the academic gutter.

So, I not only have some very strong issues concerning sports, but also with religious fanatics on the extreme right. Sports itself has also become just another religious cult.

Anyway, now you know where I'm coming from.

Once again, welcome to our dark little corner of the cosmos.

ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

Welcome Mike/Stardust! :)

I too grew frustrated with professional sports and the ridiculous emphasis and importance that our society seems to place upon them. Once I had gone to some live sporting events, I realized just how boring they truly are when you don't have the TV announcers and crew filling the time with endless replays and hype about "what a big game this is!"

Hope to see more posts from you! Once again, welcome. :)
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Stardust wrote:Hello, new here and wanted to say a quick hello..I found this site on a whim over my frustration over everybody's sports excitement everywhere I turn..I found this site in a google search for "Why I hate sports"..I thought I was the only guy who's not into it..I used to watch the big 4 sports, baseball, football, hockey and basketball..Now I can't stomach watching sports at all..Puts me to sleep and makes me sick..Baseball season has started and everybody is in a frenzy here over the Red Sox / Yankees rivalry..everybody except me..Why anybody would want to waste 4 hours watching a game is beyond me..Why spend whole weekend glued to the TV watching sports..Get up and go outside..there is a whole wonderful world out there!
Welcome to the forum, Stardust. Good to see a new member here. You're an ex-fan as well? We have been getting quite a considerable amount of them over the last half a year... maybe the world of sports is losing its grip over the population! It could be so. You're completely right, it's absurd how people would want to sit in front of a TV screen for 4 hours straight, rooting for a bunch of people who probably wouldn't even give them the time of day in real life, and acting like they're going to die if their team loses. And the most hypocritical thing is... it's these sports fans who tell people like us to get out and get a life! Yes, because sitting in front of a screen yelling at a load of men playing a game hundreds of miles away is a constructive and beneficial pastime that contributes a lot to the world and your own personal development, isn't it? I'm not going to list all my reasons for hating sports right now. When I get started, I just can't stop. I hope you stick around here, though. Remember this - you may get called "weird" for not liking sports, but seeing how manic and ludicrous the sporting world has become nowadays, that's hardly a bad thing! I laugh at those who consider me pathetic but think that it's a good trait to be addicted to watching sports every weekend on TV. These days, you don't even have to be physically fit to be considered a "loyal sports fan"...

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
greencom

Post by greencom »

A hearty welcome to you Stardust, it's nice to see yet another intelligent person (non-sports)
join the club! I look forward to your future posts.
Stardust

Post by Stardust »

Thanks for all the welcomes.. :) This has to be the worse time of the year for me..Not only is it now baseball season but it is hockey and basketball playoffs too! So I have 3 sports to hear about constantly! The good news is both the Bruins and Red Sox are both losing their games..So things are looking up..
Earl

Post by Earl »

Let me extend a belated welcome ... Welcome to the forum, Stardust! :) Sorry I'm so late. I've been preoccupied.

A common response of sympathetic visitors to this website has been "I thought I was the only one." Well, it's not true. And we're quite a diverse group, too.

More later ...

Again, welcome. :)
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

Stardust wrote:Thanks for all the welcomes.. :) This has to be the worse time of the year for me..Not only is it now baseball season but it is hockey and basketball playoffs too! So I have 3 sports to hear about constantly! The good news is both the Bruins and Red Sox are both losing their games..So things are looking up..
Hello Stardust!

Out of curiosity, you had stated you used to watch all of the "Big Four" sports -- baseball, football, basketball, and hockey. What led you to stop watching them?
Stardust

Post by Stardust »

ChrisOH wrote:
Stardust wrote:Thanks for all the welcomes.. :) This has to be the worse time of the year for me..Not only is it now baseball season but it is hockey and basketball playoffs too! So I have 3 sports to hear about constantly! The good news is both the Bruins and Red Sox are both losing their games..So things are looking up..
Hello Stardust!

Out of curiosity, you had stated you used to watch all of the "Big Four" sports -- baseball, football, basketball, and hockey. What led you to stop watching them?
It started as a few things about watching sports annoying me, the more I watched the more my dislike grew until I'm where I am now..I won't watch sports unless I'm forced to, which usually means if I'm at someone's house or at the laundrymat..

I think my reasons for turning away from sports can be summed up as..

Announcers - I don't need some ex jock telling me what I just saw!! Hello, I sitting here watching what just happened! Towards the end of my sports watching days I would mute the sound and put some music on..

Hype - This one is probably self explanatory..But the hype over a big game like losing was the end of the world or something..Come on, wake up, it's only a stupid game..How long is the pre-game for the Super Bowl? Give me a break!!

Overpaid athletes - I really have no desire to watch a bunch of millionaires chasing each around like idiots..millionaires paid big money to play a game..

Boredom - and this is a big one..I came to realize that there are much more interesting things for me to watch on my tv than sports..and less time consuming too..I used to be one of those guys who would watch game after game after game on the weekends..I wouldn't even venture outside..What a waste!
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

Been meaning to greet you, Stardust. Sorry about that. :)

Glad to see more people joining, especially former sports fans. We can get an interesting perspective on sports from members like yourself. You're kind of like secret agents gathering intelligence. :P

You're not the first ex-fan to join, and I'm sure you won't be the last. You're all welcome.

And let me just add to all ex-fans reading this now as we struggle out the shadow of our malefactors: Welcome back to the light!

Cookie for anyone who gets where that paraphrased sentence is from (distinct advantage if you're an avid gamer). I'm not sure what kind of cookie, but... yeah.
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!