Introductions

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Skul
Forum Admin

Re: Introductions

Post by Skul »

HugeFanOfBadReligion wrote:Hello fellow sports haters. I am new here in this forum, and I have been on many forums where there have been introduction threads, which is a good way to introduce one's self into a forum. It is for newbies (like myself), or even long time members who want to let people know new things about them, to introduce themselves into a forum.
That's a good idea. I'll sticky this.

Hi, Fan, welcome to the forum. I'm Skul, the Forum Admin. There's also the Ray, the Site Admin and my boss (although I don't think he likes being called that :P). You might not see us much, but we're there. Watching. From the shadows. 8)

Sorry about the deletion of your account, before. As you have heard, we've had problems with a certain opposing website I won't acknowledge by naming.

As for me -- well, I'm from Scotland and live in Glasgow, the coldest, rainiest place on Earth, even during Summer. As with Earl, I wouldn't exactly say I'm a nerd, although my interests are "nerdish" (books, video games, and the like). To be honest, I'm not good at advanced maths and I don't know how to fix, build or network a PC, but I'm taking courses for both of those things; I just started the maths course today -- or probably tomorrow by the time you read this -- and searching for a place that does a PC Technician course.

When I was younger, I did try some sports, but I just couldn't get interested in them. I even went on a (voluntary) rugby programme set up by my school, but I didn't like it. There was no bullying and the coach was an extremely nice and understanding guy, but I just couldn't get into it.

I've actually tried to sit through football (soccer) matches, but I could never get interested. I could never see anything to get so passionate about. To me, it's just a bunch of guys kicking a ball about, no different to a group of boys in the park kicking a ball about. The only difference is that on TV, loads of people are watching and the players are getting paid for it.

In high school, I quite enjoyed playing badminton, but not to the extent that I would go and join badminton clubs and watch it on TV (I don't think it's televised, anyway), but playing it recreationally was fun. I have to say that the meanest opponent in badminton is a wall. As someone once said: "Never play badminton against a wall -- they're relentless!" (or something like that).

Pool and Snooker are other "sports" (if you can call them that) I enjoy. More relaxing and you generally don't have fans causing riots and getting depressed when their favourite player loses.

One last thing, I don't want to sound overly strict, but try not to quote too much of a post (especially not entire huge ones).
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

Skul wrote: In high school, I quite enjoyed playing badminton, but not to the extent that I would go and join badminton clubs and watch it on TV (I don't think it's televised, anyway), but playing it recreationally was fun. I have to say that the meanest opponent in badminton is a wall. As someone once said: "Never play badminton against a wall -- they're relentless!" (or something like that).
I thought that badminton would have been a sport that I wouln't dislike when I played it in middle school when we started to play it because it isn't some brutal sport and nothing similar to sports like football, with the mentality completely different, however because of the way the school I went to played the game, I really disliked it. It was a King of the Hill type game where everyone lines up and one person starts on one side of the court, and the first person in line faces them, and the winner stays at the one side of the court and the same thing repeats with the next person in line. But they had multiple small courts set up across the gym, and the different social groups would go to different courts, but ocassionally the popular kids would go to the court we were playing at just to cheat, cut the line, and laugh at us when we lost. One time a challenged kid started at a court, and no one wanted to play against him because they wanted to hang out with more popular people, so I decided to play against him and there was no one in line at that court, just us, so we would be the only ones playing at that court. I would go easy on him because he had trouble playing the game, and when I would lose, they would come over and point at me and say "Hey look, Tim lost to a sped", which was insulting to both of us. Then a group of jocks would force us to play doubles against them because we weren't as good and they wanted someone to laugh at. So I think that's why I dislike badminton just like other sports.
Skul wrote: One last thing, I don't want to sound overly strict, but try not to quote too much of a post (especially not entire huge ones).
Point taken. I'll go back and edit my posts if you haven't already. I usually cut down my quotes on most forums, however this week, the week I joined, I've been really busy with homework and other obligations and I've been in a rush a lot of the time while visiting forums.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
Earl

Post by Earl »

HugeFanOfBadReligion wrote:Then a group of jocks would force us to play doubles against them because we weren't as good and they wanted someone to laugh at. So I think that's why I dislike badminton just like other sports.
I don't understand this kind of behavior. My dad (who, incidentally, was decidedly nonathletic) was one of the leading architects in the United States. Although his formative years were not the best, he accomplished a great deal in his life; but he was always a humble man and considerate of other people. And he thought that laughing at others (like this group of jocks you just mentioned) was low class and pathetic.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Earl wrote:
HugeFanOfBadReligion wrote:Then a group of jocks would force us to play doubles against them because we weren't as good and they wanted someone to laugh at. So I think that's why I dislike badminton just like other sports.
I don't understand this kind of behavior. My dad (who, incidentally, was decidedly nonathletic) was one of the leading architects in the United States. Although his formative years were not the best, he accomplished a great deal in his life; but he was always a humble man and considerate of other people. And he thought that laughing at others (like this group of jocks you just mentioned) was low class and pathetic.
Laughing at others for their weaknesses or shortcomings is pathetic, Earl. How the hell are they meant to do what is apparently "right" if all people can do is laugh at them and rub in their faults? That's only going to discourage them from doing the "right" thing. But when I talk about the youth of today, the "right" thing is normally stupid. Like trying to overtake a truck on a busy main road in a hope of getting to DA BIG PARTY! and ending up having to be buried in 30 shopping bags! I hate the so-called "cool" teenagers. They're pathetic. All they do is laugh and mock the less-popular people who don't correspond with their interests. Like jocks going at a group of academically-gifted students and saying "TALKIN BOUT COMPUTORS ARE WE? DURRRRRRRRRR! YOUR ALL SUCH FAGGOTS! U'D NEVAR LAST ON DA FUBBALL FIELD! U PATHETIC! DURRRRRRR...." Seriously, since when did human differences become a sin in the world?

Oh, and I see this thread has been stickied. Well, HugeFanOfBadReligion, you had a good idea with the concept of this thread. It must be an honour for you - the first thread you made on this website having become a "sticky" topic to remain at the top of this board forever! Good work. I see you're already clocking up quite a lot of posts - I reckon you're going to be one of the new top members round here! But you won't be beating my post total anytime soon! :D

Now, I must make a response to this wonderful line you provided in your first post that has definitely set you in a high place in my book:
HugeFanOfBadReligion wrote:Both of the bullies listened to crappy new music.
They all do. No surprise there then. :D We really are very similar people, aren't we? I say blame the shitty new, popular music as much as the bullies, for consolidating their position as sheep, followers, conformists!

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
HugeFanOfBadReligion

i_like_1981 wrote:Oh, and I see this thread has been stickied. Well, HugeFanOfBadReligion, you had a good idea with the concept of this thread. It must be an honour for you - the first thread you made on this website having become a "sticky" topic to remain at the top of this board forever! Good work. I see you're already clocking up quite a lot of posts - I reckon you're going to be one of the new top members round here! But you won't be beating my post total anytime soon! :D
Indeed, I'm liking this forum a lot. Haha, and I'll try to catch up to you in posts!
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

Welcome HugeFanOfBadReligion!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Good evening HugeFanOfBadReligion

Thank you very much for reading my topic which was titled THE HORSE THIEVES AMONG US! at:
http://www.sportssuck.org/phpbb2/viewto ... f=1&t=4425

I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from and what caused me to take such and extreme stance against sports.

There was actually once a time when I really didn't hate sports, but was merely not interested in sports.

But after years of bullying from the jocks in my school and some of the sports fans, it was sports that taught me how to hate sports.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be hating sports now, but only being merely not interested in it.

Anyway . . . . .

Thanks for reading me topic.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

HugeFanOfBadReligion

Fat Man wrote: Thanks for reading me topic.
You're welcome. It was a perfect example of how sports corrupt the educational system, and life in general. It's sad to know that you almost certainly would have been quite sucessful had it not been for several people, many of them grown adults, who ruined it for you. My experiences with jocks are nothing compared to yours. You really are a hero!

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

HugeFanOfBadReligion wrote:
Fat Man wrote: Thanks for reading me topic.
You're welcome. It was a perfect example of how sports corrupt the educational system, and life in general. It's sad to know that you almost certainly would have been quite sucessful had it not been for several people, many of them grown adults, who ruined it for you. My experiences with jocks are nothing compared to yours. You really are a hero!
Thank you very much!

But I don't think of myself as a hero, but just a regular guy standing up for what I believe in.

Whoops! Did I say me topic? I meant to say my topic!

Maybe I've been eating too much spinach and I'm beginning to sound like Popeye!

Uh, speaking of Popeye . . . . .

You know, when I was a kid he use to be my favorite cartoon hero, but then back in the 1990s I saw a cartoon where some kids asked Popeye why he still smokes a pipe when everybody knows that smoking is bad, and he said "I don't smokes it! I only toots it!" YEAH RIGHT! What a cop-out! I lost all respect for him after that. Yes, he did make his pipe go toot toot like a whistle, but he also used it as a blow torch to cut port holes while building a ship, and he could use his pipe as a snorkel to breath while swimming under water, and he also SMOKED his pipe! So, in the new version back in the 1990s he copped out when he said "he does not smokes it, but only toots it!" then they came out with a more politically correct version of Popeye without his pipe! Yeah! Another cop-out!

Anyway . . . . .

While I don't think of myself as a hero, I did have some heroes that I looked up to. They were historical figures like Copernicus, Galileo, Kepler, Sir Isaak Newton, Benjamin Franklin, Nikola Tesla, Albert Einstein, and more contemporary heroes like Isaak Asimov, Arthur C Clark, Ray Bradbury, and Carl Sagan.

Now those were real heroes!

Of course, I know they were not perfect, they were mere human beings, but I admire them nonetheless.

Now, I have had my own personal issues with mental illness in the past, but I'm not ashamed of admitting to having mental illness, because I have read that Isaak Newton, Kepler, Abraham Lincoln, and Nikola Tesla all suffered from some form of mental illness. Kepler was neurotic and insecure, and Isaak Newton was probably manic depressive, and so was Nikola Tesla, but all of these great men have contributed so much to humanity. Some of the most intelligent people have suffered from some kind of mental illness.

So, I'm in good company.

Anyway . . . I would rather be a little crazy, rather than being stupid!

Yeah!

I AM FAT MAN!
I AM DA BOMB!

As you can see, I do have a sense of humor and sometimes make fun of myself.

Image Image

Can you almost see the resemblance? :D :D :D
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Earl

Post by Earl »

HugeFanOfBadReligion, in your very first post you suggested that each of us explain how we began to hate sports. I prefer not to call myself a sports hater. I'm actually a critic of what I believe is a negative culture that is not intrinsic to sports, but is associated with certain sports. I'll have more to say about this later. I have not finished mentioning all the reasons why I have taken a rather critical view of the sports culture. I've already covered one of the reasons: the role of sports in mandatory physical education, which clearly has shortchanged nonathletic students and even encouraged bullying. I have other reasons for not appreciating the sports culture.

Once again, I draw upon my own personal experience. And I apologize to those members of the forum who have already read what I'm now about to say. When I was in the eighth grade, my grades had fallen; and I had been picked on at school. My self-confidence was at an all-time low. So, my parents sent me to a local clinical psychologist who had a good reputation (which I'm now convinced was totally manufactured) but was abysmally incompetent. He came up with the great (sarcasm intended) idea of sending me to a judo instructor -- and not just any judo instructor, but a particular one who turned out to be a rather bad choice for me, indeed. Incidentally, years later I discovered that the incompetent psychologist was in the habit of sending just about all of his teenage male patients to this one judo instructor -- as if he were a cure-all for all the problems of these teenage patients of his, which the judo instructor definitely was not.

If the psychologist had done his job and made a thorough evaluation of his latest patient (me) instead of arrogantly making false assumptions, he would have discovered that I was suffering from low body
self-image, which could have been solved by placing me on a bodybuilding program at a gym. Just so no one will misunderstand me, I have no problem with judo. I appreciate the martial arts, and I respect those who have attained a degree of proficiency in them. But judo is not a bodybuilding activity, nor was it ever intended to be a bodybuilding activity. The problem with the psychologist having me take judo lessons is that they did not address the problems I actually had. There really was no point at all in taking judo lessons. I never had an occasion to use judo at school because the bullying I was subjected to was verbal, not physical. Judo offers no defense against words anymore than it does against bullets. Besides, judo is entirely self-defensive. Actually, boxing would have been better for me. That way, I could have challenged jerks in my classes to a fight after school.

Getting back to the instructor, I shall refer to him as "Sam" (as I did in a few e-mails that I submitted to the "Letters 2009" column). (Hey, the thought just occurred to me that "Sam" is short for "Samdaman." :lol: ) Sam was not Asian; he was a white man who had played football at a university in Texas. This fact alone would account for a considerable cultural difference. Anyway, even my initial impression of the man was a letdown. Since I was alienated from my dad at the time, I actually would have been receptive to bonding with a supportive coach. There was something subtle about Sam that I didn't like. I didn't know what it was. But I respected him at the time because I was just a kid and he was an adult. (Of course, I don't respect him at all now.) And I was doing what the good doctor told me to do because, as I thought at the time, he surely wanted to help me. Or was he merely interested in all the money my father would pay him for doing essentially nothing? To me taking the judo lessons from Sam was like medicine prescribed by the good doctor, who turned out to not be good at all.

I always felt like an outsider in Sam's judo class, and years later I would find out why. I was promoted to brown belt, but I felt like he was patronizing me. I have always been convinced that I did not deserve to be promoted to brown belt. There is another interesting fact. Here I was, a scrawny teenage boy. Two of the other teenage students in the class (who would later become Olympic athletes and, incidentally, were considerably more decent than Sam) were well-built. I can assure you that they did not build up their physiques by just taking judo lessons and doing nothing else. Strangely enough, Sam never even suggested that I start pumping iron. Since I knew absolutely nothing about bodybuilding, I needed to be referred to a personal trainer for instruction. But Sam just didn't seem to care. By the spring of my junior year in high school, I decided that the charade and all the pretense had lasted long enough. I quit taking judo lessons from Sam -- which were, after all, just a waste of time. My heart had never been in it. I had thought that Sam would object to my quitting, but I never heard from him.

Eight years later (when I was 26 years old), I looked up Sam and visited him at his home. Without any prompting from me, he expressed some rather peculiar views. He let it be known that he was not morally opposed to bullying. I had not even mentioned bullying. He made that statement just out of the blue without any prompting from me. Have you ever heard of a martial arts instructor who condoned bullying? Is there something wrong with this picture? Well, actually, those who subscribe to the macho mentality have no problem whatsoever with bullying, sad to say. Sam also said that one day without any provocation he lashed out at his son and hit him hard, without cause. He said that he still didn't know why he did it. Again, Sam just made this comment in a casual sort of way. Can you believe this?

Then he really floored me when he said, "Earl (not my real first name, of course), I saved you from homosexuality." To quote my first personal trainer at my health club when I told him about this incident: WHAT?! I had always thought that you cannot save someone from something he does not and never would want to do, unless it's about to be forced upon him against his will (you know, like mandatory
sports-centered P.E. being imposed upon nonathletic kids). Do you understand what was going on in Sam's warped mind? When he first saw me, I was a shy, scrawny boy who liked to read books about "herptiles" and fiction by H.G. Wells and Edgar Allan Poe. He saw a boy who had no interest in sports and lacked the self-confidence to stand up to bullies. So, naturally, I just had to be gay; right? What a jerk! Let me repeat what I said ealier. I've been happily married for 30 years, and I'm the proud father of two daughters. You see, he subjected me to a negative stereotype that is false. I'll have more to say about this negative stereotype later (probably in another topic).

Sam then let me know that he considered only athletes and possibly men in certain blue-collar vocations to be "real men." In other words, in his view, nonathletic men are not "real men." This was absolutely hilarious because he seemed to be obsessed with just how successful my decidedly nonathletically inclined father was in his career as an architect. In fact, I think Sam was jealous of him! I say this because I've noticed that some football fans (many, actually) -- if you point out that the conduct of some individual football player off the playing field is less than exemplary (to put it mildly) -- react by saying, "You're just jealous." Well, Sam was jealous of my "wimpy" dad! :lol:

What particularly galled me was that Sam refused to recognize instances of great courage on the part of nonathletic men. During the Cold War there was an eminent Soviet physicist -- who, incidentally, was often called "the father of the Soviet H-bomb" -- named Andrei Sakharov. When he was young, he was an unquestioning Communist; but when he saw labor camp inmates forced to work around nuclear reactors under totally inhumane conditions, he turned against the regime and started to speak out against the horrendous violations of human rights by the Soviet Union. When you consider the fact that Sakharov had grown up in an authoritarian culture (unlike in the United States, for example, where just about anyone can start a protest movement for the most trivial of causes), his courage is all the more remarkable. Sam actually denigrated Sakharov, saying that he really wasn't all that brave. Well, Sakharov had more courage (and compassion) in his little finger than Sam does in his entire misshapen body. Sam expressed unbridled contempt for feminists, whom he referred to as castrators. Well, when it comes to the psychological castration of boys and men (especially those who happen to have no interest in sports), Sam is one of the biggest castrators there is. Again, what a jerk!

I will now take the liberty of mentioning a particular website that I came across last year in a random Google search. I wish I had bothered to write the website down, because it now seems to have been removed from the Internet. It was set up by a man who had played football in high school. He was sitting in a fast-foot restaurant one day when he overheard a local high-school coach talking to another man whose son was a student at the school where the coach was employed. In the course of their conversation, the coach said, "Athletes are a better class of people than nonathletes." To his credit, the man who would later set up this website was quite perturbed by this coach's bigoted comment. He said it was like hearing the needle of an old-fashioned record player scraping across the surface of an LP record that had just been put on the turntable to be played. He then gave a detailed list of individual athletes who had committed crimes or had engaged in otherwise shameful conduct.

This brings me to a particular aspect of the sports culture that I find to be rather objectionable. I have cited two examples, one of a judo instructor and the other of a high-school coach, of what is undeniably prejudice directed against nonathletic boys and men. Polite24 is one of our formerly active members who was a critic of this website. At first I didn't know what to think of him, but I actually ended up liking him. Now I wish that I had defended him against Fat Man's name-calling, which was unjustified. There was one comment that Polite24 made, though, that was absolutely wrong (well, actually, more than one; but I'm not going to talk about those now :lol: ) and that was that nonathletic boys are never bullied because they are not good at sports. I hate to say this, but he is absolutely wrong about that. I once read a letter in the Ann Landers or Dear Abby column from a mother who said that her young son was being bullied at school because he wasn't good at sports. Her son was depressed, and his grades had fallen. Of course, nonathletic boys frequently are bullied for not being good at sports. I definitely was picked on because I wasn't good at sports, and over the years I've met many other men who were bullied for the same reason. Do you really think that this does not happen in our sports-crazed culture? It really is an expression of intolerance. No doubt some boys' P.E. coaches are decent, but way too many of them look down on nonathletic boys. They have the same mindset that Sam does. When they see a nonathletic boy, they don't recognize the fact that he may have strengths in other areas of his life. Instead, what they see is a wimp or a sissy or a boy who has homosexual tendencies, which is even more demeaning a negative stereotype than the "dumb jock" stereotype (which, as I've said before many times, I haven't believed since junior high). And this stigmatizing often starts before the boy is even a teenager. So, why should nonathletic boys suffer the indignity (and sometimes outright abuse) of being forced to take P.E. classes that are useless to them and are taught by coaches who look down on them simply because they're not "jocks"?
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

HugeFanOfBadReligion

What your instructor said is shocking. How could a grown adult possibly have no problem with bullying? I'd bet he'd like to relive his days as a kid so he could beat up kids judging on what he said. And what the hell? He thinks he saved you from homosexuality because you weren't interested in sports? You can tell from that statement that he is a self obsessed jerk. I can't believe some of the stuff he said, I mean it's one really stupid thing to think that way, but to just blurt stuff like that out, and to actually hit his son for no reason? That's just insane.

Also, you've mentioned that your father was an architect. Are there any buildings that you could name that he designed so I can try to see if I can find any pictures on Google Images? I'm really interested in architecture, in fact that's the career I'm hoping to pursue, if I can afford to go to university for as long as I need to.

Earl

Post by Earl »

In my post I alluded to a negative culture that is associated with a few (but certainly not all) sports, especially football. Sam (again, not his real first name) has epitomized that culture, which is a variant of machismo. Yes, he wrongfully assumed that I had homosexual tendencies simply because I had no interest in sports. (And Nick thinks we're bigoted? Give me a break. :roll: Of course, I don't think he's serious anyway. He's just a troll.) The former college football player Brian Sims and the former professional player Esera Tuaolo recently admitted that they were homosexuals. (I take that back. Sims never attempted to conceal his homosexuality when he played football in college.) No doubt there have been others who chose, quite understandably, to stay in the closet. The point is that facts such as these give the lie to the wrong negative stereotyping done by guys like my former judo instructor; namely, that boys who don't like sports are "fags."

What defines a person as a racist (of whatever color), say, is not the fact that he is a jerk (as Nick might claim, unless he is a racist himself), but is the fact that he believes in a racist ideology. Granted, Sam is a jerk; but his bigoted views of nonathletic boys and men are shaped and determined by an ideology based upon false standards, which Coach Joe Ehrmann (who himself is a former professional football player) calls "the three lies of masculinity." (No, I doubt that Sam likes Joe Ehrmann.) This is the culture that I was referring to. This culture is not inherent in the particular sports with which it is associated. A guy with strong moral convictions (which, I fear, Nick lacks) is not going to be corrupted and be turned into a jerk because he chooses to play football or one of these other sports. (And, incidentally, cultures can be changed, albeit gradually over time.) There have always been decent individual athletes who have rejected this culture; so, for that reason (among others) we should view athletes as individuals and not assume that they are all jerks or thugs.

I mentioned the late Dr. Sakharov as a man who, I assume, did not have an athletic background. (Actually, I don't know one way or the other; but Sam apparently assumed that Sakharov was not a "real man." Again, does Nick object to this bigotry? No, I doubt it.) You mentioned several great historical figures who were nonathletic men. You should click on the link that I've posted below, which will access (Am I using the right word here?) the first page of another topic that was started by another new member more than a month ago. Scroll down to my second post and please read it. You will be inspired. One of the greatest heroes of World War II, a Swede named Raoul Wallenberg (who, ironically, wasn't even a soldier), was a sports hater! :lol:

http://www.sportssuck.org/phpbb2/viewto ... f=1&t=4411

The Quiet One
Sportsman

Post by The Quiet One »

Hello everyone. I was the one who posted in the Guestbook under the name 'What freedom of speech?' first, then this name I have now, The Quiet One. You can call me Quiet, for short. I'd heard of this site before the 4chan raids from another sports site. Yes, I am a bit of a sports fan, as some people probably are aware of.

The reason why I've wished to come here: I understand you folks, for the most part, are against sports. I've been reading up on topics to try and understand your point of view. Ideally, I'd like to bring forth responses to some of the major concerns. I'm hoping to have a good, fair dialogue.

Now, I am pretty thick-skinned when it comes to silly stuff, and a bit of a sarcastic fellow myself, just so ya know. :wink:
“The beginning of thought is in disagreement , not only with others but also with ourselves.” -Eric Hoffer
Earl

Post by Earl »

Welcome, Quiet. I had thought that I would conduct a more or less formal interview in the form of a Q&A, but I guess the standard approach of board messaging will do just as well. It might be helpful if I provide just a brief description of who I am so that you will better understand my point of view. Iâ??m a retired, happily married 59-year-old man who is the father of two grown children. (Well, the younger one is a university freshman.) When I was in high school, I was not honored to be considered a â??nerdâ? because although my academic standing was above average, I did not apply myself in my schoolwork as much as I could have. Iâ??m certainly not sedentary. Iâ??ve been working with a personal trainer on a bodybuilding program at a local health club. I love my workouts, even though my trainer wears me out (which is what he is supposed to do); but I am still not a sports fan. I say this to show that I do not fit a particular stereotype. Perhaps I would be considered the most moderate member of the forum, although I still have some strong views.

Those of us who are categorized as â??anti-sportsâ? do not all think alike. I even have a problem with the label â??anti-sportsâ? because it does not adequately express my own position. I do not consider myself to be against athletes as a group. I view athletes as individuals. My friends include several guys who played football in high school, one of whom even played football at the university where he earned his degree. I donâ??t even feel the same about all sports. I donâ??t have any critical views about some sports. Actually, what I have a problem with is a negative culture associated with particular sports, which would be just a few that are rather popular.

Did you read about our website at The Gridiron Palace? If you did, then I donâ??t need to tell you that one of their members (a Montana State football player) posted briefly at our website under the username â??Andyâ? (which, incidentally, is his first name). (Hence, the reference to the Montana State Bobcats in my signature below. Iâ??m surprised that no one here has objected to it. :lol: ) I was just curious.

You sound like a decent guy. I wonâ??t engage in any sarcasm or name-calling. If a few of the other members become rude, please excuse them. (Hopefully, they will restrain themselves. :x ) Iâ??ve gotten to know them personally through PMs, e-mails, and phone calls. Theyâ??re decent guys, too.

Unfortunately, I've got to logout now. I will post more responses later. Sometimes I'm short on time. Just be patient. I will respond eventually. Again, welcome.

The Quiet One
Sportsman

Post by The Quiet One »

Good to hear from you Earl. Actually, I heard about the site from The Sporting News website, they keep track of all things sports, and they came across you a while ago. Yes, I definitely understand that not everyone who dislikes sports are all the same. Diversity is what makes us what we are.

Like I said, I'm pretty thick skinned, so if others get a little rowdy, I can let it roll off no problem. I'm not usually one for longer posts, but there are times where I feel I need to, so post length will vary. However, I aim to have a high quality post every time, no matter the length.
“The beginning of thought is in disagreement , not only with others but also with ourselves.” -Eric Hoffer