Enough is enough

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Skul
Forum Admin

Re: Enough is enough

Post by Skul »

And responsibility. To be serious for a moment, here:

To anyone wanting to become a moderator or admin of any forum, you might think it's pretty cool to be able to ban people and edit posts and stuff... but really, you shouldn't have to do that. You're there to dissuade members from doing it. As a normal member, you can leave things up to the mods and admins, but as a staff member, you can't just walk away from problems like spam attacks and raids; you have to be there and do everything you can to stop it. It can be quite stressful at times. Especially as the admin -- I have to deal with a lot of things. I mean, we're still getting accounts being made, some of them obviously fake, others, I'm not so sure about. I have to decide whether or not to approve them, which can lead to unpleasantness, as you've seen with Nick.

So... yeah.
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Skul wrote:And responsibility. To be serious for a moment, here:

To anyone wanting to become a moderator or admin of any forum, you might think it's pretty cool to be able to ban people and edit posts and stuff... but really, you shouldn't have to do that. You're there to dissuade members from doing it. As a normal member, you can leave things up to the mods and admins, but as a staff member, you can't just walk away from problems like spam attacks and raids; you have to be there and do everything you can to stop it. It can be quite stressful at times. Especially as the admin -- I have to deal with a lot of things. I mean, we're still getting accounts being made, some of them obviously fake, others, I'm not so sure about. I have to decide whether or not to approve them, which can lead to unpleasantness, as you've seen with Nick.

So... yeah.
I notice we have a new member who has signed up recently: Defyingravity88.

I'm pretty sure he's that guy who commented on the Guestbook recently complaining of some intolerant remarks towards sports fans on this site and how we deprived our sports fan visitors of freedom of speech, and that he thought he would be given a ton of abuse if he came on here and tried to inform us of the positive aspects of sports. I noticed that Earl and HugeFanOfBadReligion responded to his comment in a civilised manner and invited him to join the forum, so, I reckon this new account belongs to him.

Well, if he wants to start posting, that is fine with me. He's already told us what he wants to establish on here: an opinion on why sports are good for the world. That's more than Nick ever did - I really don't know if he liked sports or not, but he was sure going to a fair extent to vex various members of the board and doing a lot of pointless posts. He was proud of his connections to 4chan and I'm sure he has some sort of business on the /sp/ board. We don't have to accommodate those who support our abusers. I'm sure this Defyingravity88 will give us more solid information when he starts posting and not start going off-topic with all the pointless references to 4chan, weed and all that crap. Let's hope he is genuine and not another troll, or a no-post blunder. I look forward to hearing more.

Are the 4channers still trying to make spam accounts? I thought they'd long lost interest by now. Well, I'm sure there are still a few on their board who would like to continue the war against this site. And one of them did get on here and lasted quite a while - I need not name him again! I thought he'd be all over the Guestbook after that but apparently not. Maybe he HAS grown up. Or perhaps he's lurking on 4chan's /sp/ board ready to play a hand in another potential raid.

I can be quite sure it's not all fun, being an admin, with all the crap you have to keep a lid on when times get a bit rough. But if I were an admin I'd find it worth doing all the nasty stuff like clearing up the consequences of raids to change ranks, ban trolls and perhaps edit the odd insulting post. Although I'm sure it's irritating having to differentiate between potential new members and mere spammers when they sign up, now that we're on Admin Approval. Is there a way that can be distinguished? It sounds like a challenge.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Earl

Post by Earl »

I've been wondering why new members who have gone to the trouble of registering don't start submitting posts.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Earl wrote:I've been wondering why new members who have gone to the trouble of registering don't start submitting posts.
The Guestbook is quite a good place for these opponents to make their minds known; it doesn't require them to register or give any information to our website other than a comment and username. I wouldn't be surprised if the latest set of visitors just stuck to posting on the Guestbook as thanks to these 4chan raids, every new forum account made has to be treated with some level of suspicion. I wouldn't particularly want to give any personal information away whatsoever to anyone who's joined up here since early February. The way I see it, we can't be too careful, especially with people like Hank and Awesome! making pretty convincing undercover acts. Times have changed on here now, and not for the better.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Earl

Post by Earl »

I think the situation will improve. The /sp/artan trolls have gotten bored with us. I haven't seen any mention of us lately in the /sp/orts board, which doesn't mean that I didn't miss a thread or two. I don't care what they do, because I'm bored with them. Tonight when I made a random check of the board, I did notice a certain "Anonymous" posting rather brief messages such as "weed," "smoking weed," and "smoke weed everyday." Doesn't that sound familiar? Now, whom could that be? :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related