what we oppose about the sports culture

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Earl

what we oppose about the sports culture

Post by Earl »

My own personal position as a supporter of this website has been that there is nothing inherently wrong with participating in a popular sport. I respect athletic achievement in the same way that I appreciate mastery in any other extra-curricular activity. But what I do strongly object to is the negative culture that is associated with certain sports. I just came across an excellent description of this culture in a book from which I've taken the liberty to quote verbatim a particular subsection that is displayed at amazon.com
(pp. 84-86). The book is entitled The Young Athlete: A Sports Doctor's Complete Guide for Parents, and it was written by Jordan D. Metzl and Carol Shookhoff. I've rendered certain phrases and sentences in bold type for emphasis.
Quote: wrote:Group (Mis)Behavior: "Jocks Rule"

Psychologists have established that people in groups can be incited to do things they would not do on their own. Being part of a group seems to muffle personal inhibitions as well as a sense of personal responsibility ("If everyone's doing it, I can't be blamed") -- a volatile and unhappy combination. Given that adolescents have an intense need to be part of a group, parents must be on the alert for group situations that lead to risk-taking and delinquent behavior.

As a special sphere separate from everyday life, sports can give athletes, coaches, and fans a sense of belonging to a special group, a sense that exempts them from the ordinary rules of behavior. Most of us are all too familiar with the lurid stories: the player who tries to strangle his coach, the coach who tries to strangle his player, the player who spits at the umpire, and worse. In Glen Ridge, New Jersey, some high school football players sexually assaulted a retarded girl; several Texas high school state champion football players are serving sentences of ten to twenty-six years for armed robbery.

Players, fans, league officials, and sports commentators may call such behavior extreme and unacceptable, but those in charge frequently fail to take action. So driven are some adults to be affiliated with a winning team or player that they overlook misbehavior (drunkenness, drunk driving, vandalism, petty theft) on the grounds that "boys will be boys" and the team needs the guilty players in order to win. Some even claim that offenders need the support of the team to straighten out. If the surrounding community of adults think that athletes deserve special treatment, the athletes will learn that the rules don't apply to them. Further, since most teenagers are impelled to test limits, they keep upping the ante of misbehavior to see what they can get away with.

To raise athletes well, the adults in their communities -- the parents, coaches, teachers, law enforcement officials -- must be sure they all send the same message: Bad behavior is unacceptable. If parents and sheriffs overlook the vandalism or delinquency of athletes, the athletes, and other students, learn that the rules don't apply to the transgressions of athletes. If a coach ignores or snickers at male athletes' pinching girls or calling them insulting names while the school principal condemns this behavior, students become confused and the harassment is almost sure to continue. Because these anti-girl behaviors were condoned for so long, sometimes adults don't know what to say and need to be given a script (e.g., "No name-calling," or "If you touch a girl suggestively, you have to be very sure it's acceptable to her. Otherwise, don't do it").

Teachers, school administrators, law enforcement officials, and coaches need to think about the long-term character development of their student athletes. What do athletes need to learn and do to function as productive people? When should they be cut some slack? A good rule of thumb is to treat athletes the same way that other notable students -- the members of the honor society, the winners of the science fair, the stars of the school musical -- are treated. Athletes should be given neither more nor fewer privileges than the other standout students.

When male athletes are treated as special, some push to discover the limits of acceptable behavior. They bully nonathletes or younger team members, and harass girls. To some extent, many kids, especially starting in middle school, are mean to each other, perhaps as part of growing up and being insecure about their identity. But adults can help by speaking out and reminding kids that there is no honor in cruelty or bullying, that honor means taking care of those who are weaker than you. Adults can also remind students about the importance of empathy and being fair: "How would you feel if someone did that to you?"

Parents and other adults in the community need to be vigilant and think in terms of the long view for their young athletes. If a team or community is pulling its children into antisocial behavior or attitudes, or worse, it's time to look into changing teams or changing schools.
How refreshing to read this! Those who mindlessly hate this website and seek to abuse those who support it (as opposed to those who offer reasonable criticism) should take note of the fact that we are not alone in what we have observed over the years.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Re: what we oppose about the sports culture

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

Thanks for that article. I agreed completely with what that article was saying, and from personal observation, what the author is saying about the characteristics of athletes is mostly true. They believe that they are exempt from rules and punishment, and they often get away with it. What I found truly shocking in the article was this:
In Glen Ridge, New Jersey, some high school football players sexually assaulted a retarded girl
I can't believe someone would do that. I don't know the extent of the sexual assault, it could have been briefly touching her inappropriately, or it could have even been rape, but either way, that is terrible that any person would do that to someone, especially a woman with mental disabilities. I'm sure that their athletic mentality was that it's okay to do that because they are athletes, and athletes are superior, VIPs, and they can do whatever they want and they can get away. I hope they were punished.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
Earl

Post by Earl »

It really happened, and the players were eventually convicted. The rape victim was mentally impaired, which makes the crime all the more despicable. A book was written (published in 1997) about this scandal entitled Our Guys: The Glen Ridge Rape and the Secret Life of the Perfect Suburb by Bernard Lefkowitz. I have a copy of this book. I know what it's about because I've read a few reviews; but I've not actually read the book itself because I know it would be an unpleasant read. If I did read it, I would probably have trouble sleeping for a week (since I have a strong sense of justice). Lefkowitz points out that many people in the community (including police officers! :shock: :evil: ) sided with the rapists just because they happened to be football players. The girl was of no concern to these people. Some football fans actually don't care in the least how individual players treat others off the playing field, even if crimes of this sort are committed. This is a particularly sick aspect of the sports culture, and this is one reason why I'm not a sports fan. Before someone reading this post of mine gets the wrong impression, I don't think throwing a ball is evil. As I said in my previous post, I respect athletic achievement. But I don't believe that some guy's high social status as an athlete should exempt him from the consequences of criminal conduct. Incidentally, do many sportswriters and sports columnists decry the despicable attitudes behind scandals of this sort? I think the answer is obvious, much to the shame of the sports media. Sports journalism, what's that?
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Ray
Site Admin

Post by Ray »

Earl wrote: Players, fans, league officials, and sports commentators may call such behavior extreme and unacceptable, but those in charge frequently fail to take action. So driven are some adults to be affiliated with a winning team or player that they overlook misbehavior (drunkenness, drunk driving, vandalism, petty theft) on the grounds that "boys will be boys" and the team needs the guilty players in order to win. Some even claim that offenders need the support of the team to straighten out. If the surrounding community of adults think that athletes deserve special treatment, the athletes will learn that the rules don't apply to them.

That is exactly right and well said. I don't have anything against sports either. They're fun. It's just people who think they're above the law because of their status as "athletes" that I don't like.

Question: What kind of adult overlooks criminal behavior because of their need "to be affiliated with a winning team or player"??

Answer: A hopelessly immature buffoon. :)

I Hope We Lose!
Agent 47

Post by Agent 47 »

Earl wrote: "The Young Athlete: A Sports Doctor's Complete Guide for Parents" ... by Jordan D. Metzl and Carol Shookhoff. (pp. 84-86).

Group (Mis)Behavior: "Jocks Rule"

Psychologists have established that people in groups can be incited to do things they would not do on their own...
Earl wrote: How refreshing to read this!
Yeah, nice article Earl.

Pity it's about an unpleasant subject though - the ugliness of mob mentality.

It would be great if more people could hear that eye opening information, and see what they're caught up in the grip of.

Then they would have a greater chance to make a change for the better.
"We can’t find a healthy brain in an ex-football player."

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2873539.htm
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

dickfilthy wrote:
Earl wrote: "The Young Athlete: A Sports Doctor's Complete Guide for Parents" ... by Jordan D. Metzl and Carol Shookhoff. (pp. 84-86).

Group (Mis)Behavior: "Jocks Rule"

Psychologists have established that people in groups can be incited to do things they would not do on their own...
Earl wrote: How refreshing to read this!
Yeah, nice article Earl.

Pity it's about an unpleasant subject though - the ugliness of mob mentality.

It would be great if more people could hear that eye opening information, and see what they're caught up in the grip of.

Then they would have a greater chance to make a change for the better.
Well, most of the redneck sports fans will never change.

They think bullying and rape is OK and they keep their wives chained to the stove.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

blackdog4444

Post by blackdog4444 »

Either they keep one wife chained to the stove, or they gather up a whole harem and lock them in the kitchen.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

I myself don't like mob mentality. This is one of the key reasons why I have a strong disdain for sports - how the result of a game can drive such huge numbers of peole to commit such brutal and truly unjustified crimes, like assault, on people that really aren't any different to them, just supporting a different team. And the problem is, so many people get caught up in this. There was an episode of Life on Mars when a Manchester United fan was murdered by a fellow supporter who tried to make it appear like the City supporters had done it in order to initiate a huge pre-game scrap before the match that Saturday. It was only a TV episode but the sad truth is, there are actually sports fans like that, those who only take an interest in the game for the prospect of instigating fights and riots with opposing soccer fans. We call that the hooligan subculture here in England, and yes, it even has grown to becoming a subculture - a group of people who have only one interest in life: fighting over sports games. Even killing at times. Many normal sports fans, though, do take a strong negative look on these people for giving a bad name to the "beautiful game" and attracting negative press attention as a result so I am supported in my condemnation of this thuggish subculture. But it is a fact - there really are sports fans out there who fit our stereotypes exactly. By no means are all of them like this but it is the ones who ruin the game for other people that receive the press attention and provide material for our website. It is a shame that some people are so fascinated by the pursuit of violence over such a trivial matter.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

You know what's arguably worst than sports? Those Soap operas(dramas) centered around their lives. :roll:
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Indurrago wrote:You know what's arguably worst than sports? Those Soap operas(dramas) centered around their lives. :roll:
I'm sure some celebrities get sick of everybody looking in on their personal lives as well. The paparazzi are always out and about, waiting for a celebrity to slip up so they can get the footage, the news and then the money from the gossip magazine companies. These days a reality TV star can hardly go and eat out without expecting to have a whole page written on it in either "Hello" or "OK" magazine the next day (those are the two main gossip mags here in England. They always let me down - they're not much use for starting a fire with). But these programmes on the private lives of sports stars are no more common than those made about reality TV stars - in fact, they're far rarer. I hate to admit it, but at least sports fans do something to earn their publicity even if it is just playing a game. Over here we have some right "attention whores" in the spotlight who do nothing but go to parties, switch boyfriends every five minutes and just generally make complete idiots out of themselves yet somehow demand the pages nearer the front page of the papers whereas more worthwhile information like the politics is pushed back behind this crap. The worst example is called Katie Price, or Jordan. God, I hate her. That woman obviously has some sort of disorder that prevents her legs from closing. Anyone who lives here in England will know about it; you Americans are lucky you don't have to put up with this waste of coverage. But I'm sure you have your equivalents. It's a global problem, people getting attention and publicity they really don't deserve. At least it takes some sort of skill to play sports at a professional level even if the players are grossly overpaid. People like this Jordan really should just be ignored. But will they ever be? No, because the papers know what people want to read. They're not interested in hearing about where their tax money is really going or how people are across the world. No, they just want to hear about some bimbo getting photographed entering a taxi without any knickers or who's dumping who. Oh wow.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

i_like_1981 wrote:. . . . . the papers know what people want to read. They're not interested in hearing about where their tax money is really going or how people are across the world. No, they just want to hear about some bimbo getting photographed entering a taxi without any knickers or who's dumping who. Oh wow.

Best regards,
i_like_1981
Yeah, it's getting to the point where that's mostly the kind of NEWS we get these days. I'm interested in what's going on in politics, the economy, and events around the world, and NOT what some celebrity is having for lunch, which is probably nothing but tofu and lettuce leaves which she pucks up a half hour later.

I have noticed that the magazine stands in the supermarkets have mostly sports or celebrity gossip. Yeas ago, back in the 1970's and 1980's I use to get Scientific American, Science Digest, Popular Science, and Omni Magazine which was both science NEWS and some science fictions stories.

Not now any more. Now it mostly sports magazines and celebrity gossip.

Nothing but trash!

Maybe I'm just some ol' fuddy duddy who's not with it! Maybe I'm just an old square!

But now, when I think back on it all . . . . .

. . . . . it's hip to be square!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

i_like_1981 wrote:Over here we have some right "attention whores" in the spotlight who do nothing but go to parties, switch boyfriends every five minutes and just generally make complete idiots out of themselves yet somehow demand the pages nearer the front page of the papers whereas more worthwhile information like the politics is pushed back behind this crap. The worst example is called Katie Price, or Jordan. God, I hate her. That woman obviously has some sort of disorder that prevents her legs from closing. Anyone who lives here in England will know about it; you Americans are lucky you don't have to put up with this waste of coverage. But I'm sure you have your equivalents.
Your statement that described your country's celebrities as ""attention whores" in the spotlight who do nothing but go to parties, switch boyfriends every five minutes and just generally make complete idiots out of themselves" reminds me of the celebrities in North America in the show called The Hills. The show basically consists of cameras that follow rich kids who got all of their money from their parents. They get paid tens of thousands of dollars per episode just because they have cameras following them. I believe one of them is named Heidi Montag or something along the lines of that, and now she is starting a singing career even though she can't sing, because her recorded voice is 99% synthetic. I remember an interview of her where the journalist asked her to sing something, and she refused to. The obvious reason of why she wouldn't sing is because she can't sing unless her voice is put through hundreds of computer programs.

And I agree that the news only focuses on celebrities. I remember about a month ago when the video titled "Collateral Murder" was released, which was real footage from an American attack helicopter in Iraq that shot at members of the press because their cameras were mistaken for weapons, and then a van that had two children in it stopped to help a wounded man from the attack into the van so they could take the van into the hospital, so they shot the van which had two children. When it was released, if you checked all of the major news websites, there would be nothing about it on the homepage, just gossip about Tiger Woods. I'm no fan of Tiger Woods, but come on, this happened months ago, can't the press stop talking about him? Of course there are good newspapers and news channels, but they have limited resources to investigate their stories or to promote their newspaper or news channel, because they don't get any attention from people because they would rather read celebrity gossip than find out what's happening in the world around them.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

I too don't like it when people who are losing their lives to defend their country are put further back in the newspaper so the "attention whores" can go nearer the front page in order to let people find out faster about what colour knickers they are wearing or who's given them one up the duff now. Absolutely no respect. I mean, who really would care if somebody like Jordan was to die? Every piece of paper used to print photos and stories about her on is officially wasted. We already know the route of this woman's life. She marries a bloke. Has a kid with that bloke. Starts shagging another. Divorces first bloke and marries second. Rubs it in the first bloke's face about how good the second one is. Realises second husband is a twat and goes back to first. How many more years of this shit are the press going to put in front of us?

The modern world is really screwed up. People are forgetting who really deserves the attention and publicity and are interested wasting their time following the actions of so-called "celebrities" who do nothing but present a negative image of the country's celebrities and media. Unfortunately the 70's and 80's were not a lot better. They had gossip about the pop stars then; I've seen it in plenty of my old magazines. It was easy to see where the future was going. I don't care about the celebrities' personal lives. Millions of people across the world get married and have kids (myself not included) without having to see their story printed across the nation's newspapers, so what's the big fucking deal about some more important person doing the exact same thing? If they're footballers, that's fine, they can have their football stories printed. I tend to avoid the newspaper sports section anyway so it's no problem to me. Hell, it's what makes them famous, it's their way of life. It's what people want to hear. But I'll repeat - WHO GIVES A SHIT IF THEY'RE GETTING MARRIED OR HAVING KIDS! Nearly everybody in the world does this! BIG FUCKING DEAL! Save the article space and get a more worthwhile story to write about; leave these people's personal lives "personal"! No wonder these celebrities stay so secretive and aren't seen out and about much; they don't seem to be able to go and get a tin of beans from the local shop without attracting a fucking film crew!

Best regards,
i_like_1981

greencom

Post by greencom »

Hey there I_Like_1981,
You are a very intelligent and aware person, I wish more people saw things the way you do. You are dead on about the way society is headed and it's a really ugly era coming upon the world. Don't worry though, sports will save us all, just ask the idiots in the bleachers!!
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

greencom wrote:Hey there I_Like_1981,
You are a very intelligent and aware person, I wish more people saw things the way you do. You are dead on about the way society is headed and it's a really ugly era coming upon the world. Don't worry though, sports will save us all, just ask the idiots in the bleachers!!
Thank you Greencom. Yes, I am sadly becoming more and more disillusioned with the modern world. It's been going on for years now. I can't stand it when the newspapers have no better way to spend a page than talk about some waster getting drunk and having to be thrown out of a bar or some sports player getting into a scrap with another sports player. I suppose for some it may make a relief from the depressing news about the politicians wasting taxpayers' money or the constant fuss over the upcoming 2010 General Election, but I fail to see how the lives of our country's celebrity scumbags warrant any space in even the free newspapers you find on trains. I hear it's the same over in America, as HugeFanOfBadReligion pointed out. There really is no escape from these talentless hacks. The TV show "Big Brother" is a perfect place to look for tomorrow's celebrity morons. I can't believe Michael Jackson's brother Jermaine actually reduced himself to the point where he went on that show three years back. Dear Lord. They actually had a talented person in there. Anyways, I have never really cared much for fashion. I find it boring. Nothing ever changes. The more things change, the more they stay the same. We'll always have to put up with people taking up our tabloid space when they've done nothing to deserve a mere mention, as the papers themselves are just bored half the time and have to run something off. Some people just make easy targets as they're always pratting round, making fools of themselves. Milk! Milk! Milk! To quote the 4channers: OH EXPLOITABLE!

And in about a month and a half from now we'll have the WORLD CUP covering all our papers. Let's just hope this isn't going to be England's year or we'll never hear the bloody end of it! Thank God my birthday is just before it starts; no nasty surprises in store for me this year!

Best regards,
i_like_1981