SO THIS IS WHAT FAT LOOKS LIKE???

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

SO THIS IS WHAT FAT LOOKS LIKE???

Post by Fat Man »

The USA is seriously in need of a reality check!

http://open.salon.com/blog/becky_boop/2 ... looks_like
So This is What Fat Looks Like?
MAY 11, 2010 5:02PM

I will preface this post by admitting that this is a topic discussed so oft, there is practically nothing fresh to add. However, since our society continues to adopt an ever more sociopathic bent in its idea of female beauty, I feel the need to raise the issue again.

Last night, as I emerged from my post-Tae Bo bath, I received the following text message from a male friend who was watching the evening's broadcast of Dancing with the Stars with his three young daughters.

"Cheryl Burke is looking heavy."

I immediately replied that my friend is a sexist punk, but curiosity getting the better of me, as it always does, I promptly set my DVR recording in motion to have a look at this purportedly "heavy" woman......What I saw was, give or take, reflected in the image above.

I am almost too exhausted by this injustice to comment, but of course I will. I am 31 years old and far from famous. When I graduated with my BA in 2000, I weighed upwards of 190 pounds and wore a size 16. I couldn't walk a standard issue flight of stairs without breathing heavily. Obviously, that is unacceptable at the age of 22, and though it took me a few more years to claim ownership of the hard work required, I am proud to say I lost 60 pounds and have kept it off (give or take a few holiday fluctuations) for 6 full years.

I won't deny vanity played a role in my efforts, but in large part, I stay in shape for the right reasons - my health. I am perhaps phobically afraid of the aging process and the idea of becoming physically dependent one day, but that does not distort my own ideas of healthy womanhood. I might hate the cellulite that lives on my thighs, but I am learning to love Mother Nature's curves a little more all the time.

How in the hell can Cheryl Burke, Jessica Simpson, Jennifer Love Hewitt or Tyra Banks - all media targets in recent years, and all gorgeous women - be called "fat" by anyone?

The argument has been made that standards are different for those in the public eye because they "know what they're getting into" by choosing a career that in part, requires trading on one's appearance. Nonsense, and I would think a man with three daughters would know better. Why does it seem that with each passing news cycle, female beauty becomes an ever more abstract concept, to be discussed in academic theory, but never really achievable by anyone? I realize there was never a formal meeting held by the Earth's males, but it feels at times as if there's a global conspiracy to keep us ladies held in check by some basic level of worthlessness.

In 2007, when Britney Spears was in the throes of her career meltdown, and bombed performing her single "Gimme More," live on MTV, she was upset not at her deteriorating mental condition, or her crappy lip synching. No, she was in tears backstage after the show, wailing that she looked "like a fat pig," as if that were the worst of her problems in that hour. She was about to lose custody of her two sons, but egads! Priorities! Let's lose those 5 pounds first!

It's wrong. It's out of control. Men of the world, I ask ye: please start picking on your own gender. Lord knows there are plenty of uglies to choose from. Ah but yes, I forgot, as long as the man is rich/funny/talented, looks don't matter. Just ask Jesse James, Tiger Woods or Larry King.

Ladies! Let's stop being complicit in our own destruction. Next time you feel a catty comment about another female's weight rising to the surface, eat some chocolate instead. It tastes a whole lot better than jealousy anyway.
The article does not show the name of the author, but whoever she's is, I say she's right on!

Like, come on guys! Let's get real here!

The lady in the photo above is not fat! Not by any stretch of the imagination.

I know fat when I see it, I ought to know being a fat person myself, and believe me, I don't see fat here! Do you?

This just shows how we are being brainwashed by the media.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

sparkle

Re: SO THIS IS WHAT FAT LOOKS LIKE???

Post by sparkle »

She looks normal to me. Most dancers outside of ballet are not small. Mami's got a thick waist, but no one is perfect.

http://media.herald-dispatch.com/blog/t ... 752260.JPG
* I always had hopes of being a big star. But as you get older, you aim a little lower. Everybody wants to make an impression, some mark upon the world. Then you think, you've made a mark on the world if you just get through it, and a few people remember your name. Then you've left a mark. You don't have to bend the whole world. I think it's better to just enjoy it. Pay your dues, and just enjoy it. If you shoot an arrow and it goes real high, hooray for you.*
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

sparkle wrote:She looks normal to me. Most dancers outside of ballet are not small. Mami's got a thick waist, but no one is perfect.

(Image edited out)

That doesn't look like a "thick waist" to me.

I'm glad you agree that the lady in my post above looks normal.

Anyone who says she looks fat has been brainwashed by the media. It seems that now-a-days, if you can't see collar bones or ribs then that is considered obese.

We are getting brainwashed by the media.

As I have said before, the average home has two washing machines.

One in the laundry room for washing clothes, and one in the living-room for washing brains.

The brainwashing machine is called a TV.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

sparkle

Post by sparkle »

It's ridiculous that she's considered fat. I think especially with fitness models u just don't find skinny girls. America is out of skew in part because of their fitness level, which is not so good. People really think in shape people have no tone, no nothing.
* I always had hopes of being a big star. But as you get older, you aim a little lower. Everybody wants to make an impression, some mark upon the world. Then you think, you've made a mark on the world if you just get through it, and a few people remember your name. Then you've left a mark. You don't have to bend the whole world. I think it's better to just enjoy it. Pay your dues, and just enjoy it. If you shoot an arrow and it goes real high, hooray for you.*
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

That woman is absolutely no way fat. What next, will the people at work be calling me, scrawny little 1981, fat because I might have enough weight for my ribs not to be visible through my skin? There's some right crap in the media nowadays. Of course, I would be the one to say that, but I don't mean boring gossip like Jordan or girl band rubbish. No, over-exaggerated garbage that clearly isn't true is being passed off as real news nowadays, like calling women of perfectly normal weight "fat" and, in a different note, there's recently been some sensation over Michael Jackson death hoaxes. Seriously, let's at least stay attached to reality when we're getting our news headlines. But I bet that's too much to ask of some journalists!

By the way, sparkle, that's one huge picture you've got there. Every thread could do with at least one HUGE PICTURE (provided there's no sports in it anywhere!)

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

i_like_1981 wrote:By the way, sparkle, that's one huge picture you've got there. Every thread could do with at least one HUGE PICTURE (provided there's no sports in it anywhere!)
That was too big. For an image of that size, link to it using the URL tags, please.
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
sparkle

Post by sparkle »

Skul wrote:
i_like_1981 wrote:By the way, sparkle, that's one huge picture you've got there. Every thread could do with at least one HUGE PICTURE (provided there's no sports in it anywhere!)
That was too big. For an image of that size, link to it using the URL tags, please.
Sorry. What/where are the URL tags?
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

It's the second-last button. Right next to the Img button, actually.
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
SmartSportsPerson
Sportsman

Post by SmartSportsPerson »

ha ha ha. Yep, has to be said, some right crap in the news nowadays. They like to play around with that term "news", don't they?
blackdog4444

Post by blackdog4444 »

... And this is an example of how this guy is right [in at least some ways]...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1k8hJ1d8G4
People do what society tells them do to, and only do things when they have more than one decision made for them. People can be so manipulated by the media that it drives them to act unlike themselves, and to think like someone else. Many prefer to be sheep.
So, by following a standard set by a media-controlled society, they feel better about themselves, thinking that they aren't so bad. Thinking that people will like them for who they are if they follow the media blindly.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

SmartSportsPerson wrote:ha ha ha. Yep, has to be said, some right crap in the news nowadays. They like to play around with that term "news", don't they?
Finally, SmartSportsPerson, something we both agree on. I thought the day would never come. :D

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Snesgamer

Post by Snesgamer »

Apparently according to the media, anyone who is not as thin and disgusting as Paris Hilton or Christina Flockhart is "fat".

I personally could do without all those pencil-thin Hollywood bimbos. Give me a woman with some meat on her bones. And yes - that includes some on her waist and butt. It is not natural for women to have thin waists, and I imagine that most men (even the ones who say otherwise), would prefer their woman to have some padding there.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Snesgamer wrote:Apparently according to the media, anyone who is not as thin and disgusting as Paris Hilton or Christina Flockhart is "fat".

I personally could do without all those pencil-thin Hollywood bimbos. Give me a woman with some meat on her bones. And yes - that includes some on her waist and butt. It is not natural for women to have thin waists, and I imagine that most men (even the ones who say otherwise), would prefer their woman to have some padding there.
I find it pretty shocking what celebrities do to their bodies in the hope of attaining their optimum weight, which for most celebrity bimbos is barely enough to stop them from being carried away in a light breeze! They think that the slightest sign of flab is a terrible statement on their health, and I know that the papers have tended to instantly jump on patches of cellulite they find on a celebrity, usually a female one, and write full-page articles with titles like "Is she letting herself go here?" - they really don't have anything better to talk about. There's nothing bad about having a bit of weight on you! Heck, I'd like some more, but it seems I won't be getting it even though the Pot Noodles and burgers seem to instantly vanish when I come onto the scene. And if I ever get a girlfriend (it very much is an "if" for me), I'd like her to have some padding on her so I wouldn't hear a crack when I get... oh never mind. I really shouldn't torture myself here.

Best regards,
i_like_1981