Everybody rooting for the same damn team

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Snesgamer

Everybody rooting for the same damn team

Post by Snesgamer »

Ever notice that certain sports have that one team that most EVERYBODY roots for? Doesn't that kind of defeat the appeal of a competitive event, when no one supports the other side?

For example, you have all these morons shouting about how they love the Lakers in basketball, or maybe the Raiders in American football.

BIG DEAL. Are these people so sheepish, they cannot even see they are simply preaching to the crowd?

I got so sick during this last basketball season, with everyone shouting about the damn Lakers, when there was virtually no support for the opposite team (the Celtics or something like that).
i_like_1981

Re: Everybody rooting for the same damn team

Post by i_like_1981 »

Snesgamer wrote:Ever notice that certain sports have that one team that most EVERYBODY roots for? Doesn't that kind of defeat the appeal of a competitive event, when no one supports the other side?

For example, you have all these morons shouting about how they love the Lakers in basketball, or maybe the Raiders in American football.

BIG DEAL. Are these people so sheepish, they cannot even see they are simply preaching to the crowd?

I got so sick during this last basketball season, with everyone shouting about the damn Lakers, when there was virtually no support for the opposite team (the Celtics or something like that).
Well, yes, there are teams that are the most popular in a country. For example, with the most popular sport over here being football ("soccer" to Americans), we have teams that are far more popular than others and really represent the face of the country's sporting industry. Manchester United is probably the biggest football team over here, and Bayern Munich is probably the most popular in Germany. Why is that so? Like you say, people are sheep. The bigger the team are, the more people will just flock to them mindlessly in a hope of appearing "in" and "normal" to everyone else! To like what is popular will help your own popularity! Not a statement I ever took much to heart. And yes, if Man United were to play a tiny little team in one of the lowest leagues who only had a ground about 1/100th the size of United's, it would be United who got all the support. It would be an honour for the small team being able to play against them, but it would only happen as a friendly game or perhaps as part of a different tournament? It doesn't happen much as in leagues, teams play against other teams of a similar calibre, size and wealth. That's why you only ever hear news about the top teams and hardly hear anything about the smaller teams except in their local papers. It's like the high-school social hierarchy - the most popular get everything whereas the underdogs remain ignored! Still, they're footbore teams anyway, so I haven't got much sympathy for any of them. Nonetheless, I absolutely love hearing about it when one of our major teams get their ass handed to them by another European team. Keeps the soccer fans over here nice and depressed, but the damage to property through rioting is one drawback to it all!

Welcome back to the boards, Snesgamer. It's been a while. Oh, and is it me or does my name appear in all the "Last Post" sections on the Index Page except for the NASCAR subforum? I am so intent on reaching a four-digit post count.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

i_like_1981 wrote:I am so intent on reaching a four-digit post count.

Best regards,
i_like_1981
Only 45 posts left until you become a Sports Suck Master I believe!
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
Snesgamer

Post by Snesgamer »

i_like_1981 wrote:
Snesgamer wrote:Ever notice that certain sports have that one team that most EVERYBODY roots for? Doesn't that kind of defeat the appeal of a competitive event, when no one supports the other side?

Well, yes, there are teams that are the most popular in a country. For example, with the most popular sport over here being football ("soccer" to Americans), we have teams that are far more popular than others and really represent the face of the country's sporting industry. Manchester United is probably the biggest football team over here, and Bayern Munich is probably the most popular in Germany. Why is that so? Like you say, people are sheep. The bigger the team are, the more people will just flock to them mindlessly in a hope of appearing "in" and "normal" to everyone else! To like what is popular will help your own popularity! Not a statement I ever took much to heart. And yes, if Man United were to play a tiny little team in one of the lowest leagues who only had a ground about 1/100th the size of United's, it would be United who got all the support. It would be an honour for the small team being able to play against them, but it would only happen as a friendly game or perhaps as part of a different tournament? It doesn't happen much as in leagues, teams play against other teams of a similar calibre, size and wealth. That's why you only ever hear news about the top teams and hardly hear anything about the smaller teams except in their local papers. It's like the high-school social hierarchy - the most popular get everything whereas the underdogs remain ignored! Still, they're footbore teams anyway, so I haven't got much sympathy for any of them. Nonetheless, I absolutely love hearing about it when one of our major teams get their ass handed to them by another European team. Keeps the soccer fans over here nice and depressed, but the damage to property through rioting is one drawback to it all!

Welcome back to the boards, Snesgamer. It's been a while. Oh, and is it me or does my name appear in all the "Last Post" sections on the Index Page except for the NASCAR subforum? I am so intent on reaching a four-digit post count.

Best regards,
i_like_1981
Yeah, it's been a while. This board is great, but it's not exactly what you'd call the fastest.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

What exactly do you mean when you say the fastest? Do you mean the pages load up slowly or that it's a little "slow" in terms of activity and posting? As for them loading up slowly, I believe that happens when we have a large number of idiots trying to overload the server by all coming on here at the same time. Thankfully that's not happened recently, but it was still damn annoying...

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Snesgamer

Post by Snesgamer »

Slow as in not a lot of activity. Sometimes I have to wait a few weeks, then check back in to see if many fresh topics have been made in that time.
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

Yeah...there used to be more active users(daily posters) in past.
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Indurrago wrote:Yeah...there used to be more active users(daily posters) in past.
I was looking through the older posts in this board from the time before I found this website. It seems there was quite a lot going on here this time last year with SportsGuy92 and Polite24 regularly posting, and of course, that jackass mike_the_pain_train seemed to make for quite a laugh with the users on here. I really feel I missed out. But as for the summer of 2008... didn't seem like there was anything going on back then. Practically no activity at all. But the summer of 2007... well, I'm sure a lot of the users on here at that time can remember what was going on back then! :lol:

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

Damn.......you looked through ALOT of stuff. :shock: And the fact that you remembered that all.
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Indurrago wrote:Damn.......you looked through ALOT of stuff. :shock: And the fact that you remembered that all.
Remember... I have plenty of time on my hands. And I do like to think about what I would have been involved in had I found this site a little earlier. You look like you had quite a bit of fun with characters like mike_the_pain_train. Sadly it's all gone a bit quiet recently. Nobody seems to want to post on here anymore - they're probably all too busy enjoying their summer. How fun things are in my life...

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

i_like_1981 wrote: Remember... I have plenty of time on my hands. And I do like to think about what I would have been involved in had I found this site a little earlier. You look like you had quite a bit of fun with characters like mike_the_pain_train. Sadly it's all gone a bit quiet recently. Nobody seems to want to post on here anymore - they're probably all too busy enjoying their summer. How fun things are in my life...
I'm kind of the same. The 3 main sites I cycle through the day are sportssuck, youtube and endlessyoutube(extends youtube vids, no new material there I think). Out of boredom I "try" to "debate" with other youtubers. I put quotations since it IS youtube, same place where people openly declare they're hate for all things technology despite the fact they had to turn on a computer and open an internet browser(assuming it has the internet too) and use a keyboard to type their ridiculously comments. That and I don't consider myself a master debate by an means and I tend to take comments too personally(real immature I know :roll: ), I don't know why I get that tone whenever I read a disagreeing comment. I'm also kinda of a big MMORPG player but I usually lose interest in several months in whatever I play, so I end up just logging on to chat with other players than actually progressing in the games. Also I go to read fanfiction sometimes at fanfiction.net but not as much as in my highschool days. Tbh, after so much internet browsing I think I've grown a shorter atttention span and have a harder time reading very long bodies of text which of course makes it harder to enjoy reading in general. I'm a skimmer, tend to miss things the first read through.

Random note:Out of boredom before I was more internet savy, I read all the first 4 out 5 Harry Potter(back when there was only 5) when I was stuck doing absolutely nothing in my birth-land of the Philippines, in 1 day maybe, 2 days tops. About 500 pages a day(makes me laugh when I think about the shorter movie versions). Hot, Humid, no internet, and no English speaking television, in a country of strangers can do that to you. Years later I reread them out of interest though without the same tough restrictions.
Donald

Post by Donald »

What you talking about?

Around a certain area people WILL tend to root for one or a couple of major teams because that team is the biggest of the local area and it will be a focus point for attention.

Also depends on where a match is being played. If its being played at one of the teams home grounds then yes, the home team will have more support and the visiting team will have less. Pretty obvious why.

Your topic makes little sense, snes gamer. Not everybody roots for the same damn team. You might live around or in LA where the Lakers are big news. In that case why you so shocked that loads of people root for them? If you're living in a big city where there is one or more big sports teams then you should expect most/practically all of the population to root for them. Thats just how things go.

And there are plenty of other teams people root for, you're implying that everybody goes for the same one. Many popular teams in America, as we all know.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

I think what Snesgamer is trying to say is that there is always at least one sports team in every country that commands a significant amount of respect more than any of the others. For example, Manchester United over here and Bayern Munich in Germany. And it's even more boring when people just choose to follow that team like mindless sheep because they're glory hunters who just want to be in with the crowd for easy victories. This stuff bores me as well. I don't see the big deal. No matter where the team is or how great and famous they may be, all teams considered "excellent" and "shit" are doing the exact same thing - chasing a ball for unbelievable amounts of money! And for some reason, some bunch of jackasses get far more respect for that then everyone else. Frankly, it makes them not just boring and overhyped, but predictable and repetitive as well!

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Indurrago

Not just overhyped teams but players.

Post by Indurrago »

I think our equivalent is Lakers, I might be wrong but then again I really don't care. Also have almost no knowledge about baseball and football(american) teams. But that kind of favoritism isn't always delegated because of good teams but because these teams have more than above-average players. Aka "Star players", sometimes that one player is sometimes valued more than his entire team and when he leaves the team loses much of its appeal, except to the fans that favor that specific team irregardless of its performance.