Sports Clothing etc.

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Re: Sports Clothing etc.

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

Jerry McGuire wrote:Well usually the term "monkey" when talking about a person is used as a racial slur against blacks.
No offence, but isn't that a big assumption? I've heard the term "monkey" used for non racial purposes much more than for racial purposes. His comment was implying that jocks are primitive like monkeys compared to humans. I'm quite sure it wasn't used for the purpose of racism.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

HugeFanOfBadReligion wrote:
Jerry McGuire wrote:Well usually the term "monkey" when talking about a person is used as a racial slur against blacks.
No offence, but isn't that a big assumption? I've heard the term "monkey" used for non racial purposes much more than for racial purposes. His comment was implying that jocks are primitive like monkeys compared to humans. I'm quite sure it wasn't used for the purpose of racism.
Aw forget it!

All you have to do is say you don't like football or that you don't like jocks and you'll get accused of racism.

Gee! I was not aware that jocks are a race!

What country do jocks come from?

Jockovania???

Yeah! I guess I'm prejudice against Jockovanians!

WELL . . . . . EXCUUUUUUUUUUSSSE MMMMMMMEEEEEEEEE!!!

I guess that makes me a racist!!!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Jerry McGuire
Sportsman

Post by Jerry McGuire »

Fat Man wrote:All you have to do is say you don't like football or that you don't like jocks and you'll get accused of racism.
Uh, no. That isn't how I operate, although your assumptions are disconcerting. I actually hate when people try to garner sympathy for a cause by "playing the race card". It's something that I utterly can't stand. I don't know where HugeFanOfBadReligion or you are from, but in many places, and for years, the term monkey has been used as a derogatory term against blacks. I'm sorry I misunderstood.
Safety
Sportsman

Post by Safety »

A shirt I bought my dad just came in the mail today. I wanted to wait until his birthday, but I couldn't help myself, so I gave it to him today. It was a #4 Minnesota Vikings Brett Favre Shirt. I slipped a card in the box before I gave it to him, and it had my favorite quote on it. "If you ever live to be 100 years old, I hope that I live to be 100 years minus one day, so that I never have to live a day without you." He gave an emotional smile and hugged me, then he told me that he's proud to have such a thoughtful son like me. See, sports clothing isn't all that bad :P
"I hold that the parentheses are by far the most important parts of a non-business letter." - D. H. Lawrence
Earl

Post by Earl »

Of course, not. I agree with you. And that's a great quotation.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Jerry McGuire wrote:
Fat Man wrote:All you have to do is say you don't like football or that you don't like jocks and you'll get accused of racism.

Uh, no. That isn't how I operate, although your assumptions are disconcerting. I actually hate when people try to garner sympathy for a cause by "playing the race card". It's something that I utterly can't stand. I don't know where HugeFanOfBadReligion or you are from, but in many places, and for years, the term monkey has been used as a derogatory term against blacks. I'm sorry I misunderstood.
When we use the term "monkey boy" to refer to jocks on here, it doesn't have any racial connotations, Jerry. I think what is being implied is that some (not all) football players are a bit dimwitted and ape-like in their behaviour, like running into each other and going crazy on a field. Nobody's being racist. Yes, it's a bit insulting to compare football players and jocks to monkeys but there are some of them who are incredibly stupid and don't seem to understand other people's feelings so that would explain this comparison. Let me assure you that there's nothing racist going on here. Just because the term "monkey" has racist meanings in the actual world doesn't mean that we can't apply our own meanings to it here.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Jerry McGuire
Sportsman

Post by Jerry McGuire »

Like I said, I apologize for misunderstanding. I guess I'm just used to that connotation unfortunately.