America's stadium-mob mentality

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
The Imperialist

Re: America's stadium-mob mentality

Post by The Imperialist »

Well, here is the sickening thing.

People claim they are all-so liberal, forgiving, and 'tolerent' when they are infact within a self-induced proto-fascism. They are not individuals, but belong to a 'sect' of society, abide by it under the face of normalcy, and pretend to be liberal and tolerent except when it becomes really inconvienient. (reminds me of the book, Liberal Fascism)

And this social fascism is WORSE than proper fascism, because it doesn't actually benefit the whole society, and makes no effort to do so. To be disorganised is the motto of these social fascism, while proper fascism is bringing in order and regimentation. This is worse, as it is so fragmented, but people go on about their 'individuality' and not thinking of others.

Well, that is society for you.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Fat Man wrote:Well, I'm going to order me a couple of extra large T-shirts for myself, one with a picture of Thomas Jefferson on it and another one with the face of Charles Darwin on it.

And I dare anybody to call the cops on me and have me arrested if they don't like what is says on my T-shirts when I go out in public.

COME ON YOU FOOLS!!! BRING IT ON!!!
I don't think anybody would actually call the cops for wearing those T-shirts. If they did do that... that is the very definition of extreme.
Fat Man wrote:Imagine someone getting stabbed to death just for wearing the "wrong" kind of jersey!

That is really sick!

No, not just sick, but absolutely EVIL!!!
Hard to believe that this sort of thing really does happen. I know not all sports fans are terrible people but I would say that a fair few do take their love for the games way too far. It begins to affect their minds and the way they view and treat other people. You know your sports obsession has gone too far when your behaviour towards people is affected based on which team they choose to support. This is why I chose not to become a sports fan. The rivalries between league teams can bring about some extreme hatred in people. And this is a worldwide problem now. It is disturbing to see how incredible an influence the "pride in one's team" can affect their conduct towards others.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Snesgamer

Post by Snesgamer »

The way I see it, we get judged by so many other things in today's society already, that we don't need to be judged by a damned team preference or sports jersey as well.

That is also why I never became a fan of sports. In today's world, even being slightly interested in a sport or team can be a very divisive thing where many people could get hurt. No thanks - not for me.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Snesgamer wrote:The way I see it, we get judged by so many other things in today's society already, that we don't need to be judged by a damned team preference or sports jersey as well.

That is also why I never became a fan of sports. In today's world, even being slightly interested in a sport or team can be a very divisive thing where many people could get hurt. No thanks - not for me.
I agree. A lot of people like to brag about how sports unite, how they bring people together, unite people for the one "great cause" of watching the "great game". But they have the capacity to be hugely divisive as well - over here in England we have the notorious "derby matches" where two major teams from the same area play each other. They're always the most anticipated matches because of the conflict and tension they bring about. They have the capacity to pit cities of people against each other just because one group likes a group of blokes in shorts which the other group doesn't. As I've said before, how on earth could something that seems so trivial have the capacity to cause such damage and contempt between people of like mind? They're all there for the same purpose - to watch a game. They really aren't different in terms of character, just who they support. But these people don't care. They just want to make "their team" proud at any cost, even though they don't know any of the team members personally and probably never will get to know them - and a lot of blood has been spilled over here because of these petty rivalries. It's shocking, as well as pathetic. Who on earth would kill another person over football? This is why I believe that sports have a strong negative influence on people's minds and perception of others with conflicting interests. Several sports fans only care about themselves and what they like and it can get ugly when they come across someone who doesn't conform to their thoughts.

Sports rivalries. Honestly, what is the point, other than to create a bit more hype to sell tickets and get the TV stations' interest? This shows how excessively spiteful and needlessly belligerent the human species can be at times.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

The Imperialist

Some say that conflict is part of human nature (this then introduces the problem of do humans actually have a proper free will, and is it necessary to have control over them to stop themselves from hurting themselves and society?)
reasonoverstupidity
One-post wonder

Post by reasonoverstupidity »

I just got called a sissy at work today.

I am 51 years old. I work with a bunch of guys half my age. They are all rabid jocks, have a "sports clique". All I hear all day is arguing over
"whose team is better" and who will win the next game. I am not a sissy. I have dived coral reefs all over the world, swam with sharks, hiked the swiss alps, flown a sailplane, raised 2 daughters, owned a business on the side, and like a lot of things that could be equated with being masculine. But becuase I dont have the slightest interest in sports, I am somehow less than a man to these half wits. Here is the funny thing (and I want to say I mean NO offence to any gays in this forum). For some reason, if you arent into sports, the cretins who are think you are gay. If this ever happens to you, ponder the following: A group of guys who constantly obsess over the athletic prowess of OTHER MEN are insinuating you are gay. I think I need to point out the following facts:

Jocks like to shower together.
Jocks routinely towel each other in the bum.
Jocks often prefer the company of other jocks to women
Jocks constantly talk about and obsess on the abilities of OTHER MEN.
Contact sports involve CLOSE PHYSICAL CONTACT with other men.
Are you starting to see a pattern here???

I believe and have always believe that sports are a way for men to engage in quasi homosexual contact. Now thats ok if that is your thing, I have no problem with it, and power to you. BUT ITS NOT MINE.
Earl

Post by Earl »

Welcome to the forum, reasonoverstupidity.

One of our members (username 76SEAL) is a Navy SEAL. Assuming that I'm not mistaken, I believe he's a combat veteran of the Vietnam War. Both he and his son, who is another Navy SEAL, had no interest in sports when they were in high school. You know how tough Navy SEALs are. 76SEAL has criticized the overemphasis of high-school sports.

As for not being sedentary (part of the negative stereotype of men who have no interest in sports), for over two years I've been working with a personal trainer at a local health club on a bodybuilding program. One of our other members, i_like_1981, also works out at a health club.
You wrote:I just got called a sissy at work today.
Amazing ... :roll: Talk about ignorant.

As far as questioning the sexual preference of nonathletic men is concerned, haven't any of these younger fellow employees of yours ever heard of the former football players Brian Sims (college) and Esera Tuaolo (NFL)? When Sims was a college player, he didn't even bother hiding his homosexuality. His teammates didn't object to it, simply because he was that much of an asset to the team. Tuaolo came out of the closet when he retired from playing professional football. He even played in a Super Bowl game. He had been gay years before he started playing in the NFL.

And as far as courage is concerned, there have been many men of great courage who never had an interest in sports.

Again, welcome to the forum. We need new members.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

reasonoverstupidity wrote:I just got called a sissy at work today.

I am 51 years old. I work with a bunch of guys half my age. They are all rabid jocks, have a "sports clique". All I hear all day is arguing over "whose team is better" and who will win the next game. I am not a sissy. I have dived coral reefs all over the world, swam with sharks, hiked the swiss alps, flown a sailplane, raised 2 daughters, owned a business on the side, and like a lot of things that could be equated with being masculine. But becuase I dont have the slightest interest in sports, I am somehow less than a man to these half wits.

Etc. etc. etc . . .
Good evening reasonoverstupidity and welcome to our anti-sports forum.

OH WOW! All that stuff you do, diving into coral reefs, swimming with sharks, hiking the Swiss Alps, flying a sailplane, that doesn't sound sissy to me. In fact, it sound quite Macho!!!

Yeah, when I was going to school, I was called a sissy because I didn't like sports. I was more interested in science and art instead. I love science, especially Astronomy.

SCIENCE IS MACHO!

Paleontology: Climbing up cliffs or going down into deep canyons or out into the hot desert looking for fossils and digging up dinosaurs bones.

Archeology: Exploring the ruins of ancient civilizations, again going out into hot desert regions or into the muggy steamy hot jungles, and into some really dangerous structures.

Chemistry: Working with all kinds of chemicals, some of them very toxic and deadly if not handled properly.

Nuclear Physics or Physics in general: Sometime working with radioactive materials. You don't want to stand too close to a particle accelerator when it's in operation. I hear that the strong magnetic fields can pull the iron atoms out of your blood!

Biology: Sometime working with very dangerous and contagious microbes.

Astronomy: Working in an observatory high up in the mountains sometime over 15,000 feet above sea level where its very cold at night. As a teenager, I had a telescope, and I would go out on the cold winter nights because the winter constellations are my favorite, especially Orion and the Pleiades Cluster. I was always rather fat so the cold didn't bother me too much.

The Orion Nebula and the Horsehead Nebula in Orion. Really cool! Eh?

Astronomy is sexy!

Astronomy is Macho! It's not for sissies who can't stand the cold or are afraid of the dark!

We love the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Everything out there in the Cosmos is like, really cool!!!

Jock are the real sissy boys!

Basketball is kind of gay. Just a bunch of tall skinny guys prancing around in baggy shorts.

Because football players are bullies who pick on those physically smaller and weaker, they are really sissies and wimps. It's doesn't take a brave man to be a bully.

Football is also kind of gay.

But I was called a sissy because I like science and art, and I don't like sports, and in school I had been harassed and bullied around because of it.

Anyway . . . . .

Now you know where I'm coming from.

Allow me to introduce myself.

I AM FAT MAN!
I AM DA BOMB!

I don't back down for nobody!!!

Sports absolutely sucks! it FAILS!!!

Science is cool! Science rules!

And science is like, super super MACHO!!!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

reasonoverstupidity wrote:I just got called a sissy at work today.
I am 51 years old. I work with a bunch of guys half my age. They are all rabid jocks, have a "sports clique". All I hear all day is arguing over
"whose team is better" and who will win the next game.
Hello there, reasonoverstupidity. I have similar problems over at my office when there's some sort of major game or football tournament happening. It was like that during the World Cup this year, me ending up the outsider because I expressed a disinterest in watching the tournament. However, the people at my office did have to respect my point of view once England were knocked out after a rather shit performance in the tournament! Again, what did all this hype and excitement they chose to partake in do for them? Nothing. But they probably won't learn from this and will more than likely deceive themselves into thinking "our" team have a chance when Euro 2012 begins. You Americans are fortunate that you won't have to endure this, but of course you have the Super Bowl every year, don't you? God be with all us enlightened sports-haters in this sports-centric world.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you come back sometime.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

The Imperialist

Good morrow.

The jocks actually being defeatist cowards remind me when in Fahrenheit 9/11, Michael Moore was like lambasting these Republican idiots who were saying things along the lines of "We want war" and Michael Moore started handing out leaflets for joining up with the US army. They started to disperse. It was funny, and horrifying at the same time.

Welcome to the world where citizen's duty is looked down upon in favour for physical exercise that is not productive nor is it beneficial for the eternal state.