I'm sad for future generations if this is all we care about

This forum is dedicated to expressing how much football and soccer suck!
Imwimpyandprud

I'm sad for future generations if this is all we care about

Post by Imwimpyandprud »

Cousin: What did he do this time

Cousins Friend: This time it's Sean actually. And he was playing football and a guy from the other team landed on him or he hit the guy wrong, he's not really sure. But yeah, it was really bloody before cause he has a cut on his pointer finger that you can't really see here. I hope he can still play football!

Cousin: At least it's not broken or else he wouldn't be able to play for the rest off the season

Cousins Friend: Yeah, very true. The doctor said he can play again as soon as he can move it without it hurting. So we shall see how long that is.
------------------------------------------------------
This was on Facebook. They barely even care if he's okay!
I think other people have been angered how they care more about football than the injuries, someone posted about a story on the news.
Anyways, I am sad for future generations if this is what we care about :(
i_like_1981

Re: I'm sad for future generations if this is all we care ab

Post by i_like_1981 »

Hello Imwimpyandprud. Good that you've come back and haven't just been the forum equivalent of a "one-hit wonder". Well, I suppose that it's a characteristic of all sports players to not let injuries put them off playing and to even play through minor injuries like a sprained ankle sustained during a game. I guess they consider themselves manly and tough to have a strong resistance to pain. But that's not so much the case over here. Our football players here in Britain will go flying flat out on the grass if they're so much as touched by another player on the field. They hardly seem to be able to take anything before they're on their arses clutching themselves in pain. Maybe in America your sports players make less of a fuss over injuries in a game but over here, in the "great" game of soccer, they make a far bigger deal out of them. I can guess why. They probably want to exaggerate the magnitude of their injury to get one of the opposing players in deeper shit. Yeah, and these people are meant to represent the pinnacles of masculinity and have all the beautiful women lining up to date them. It really is pathetic. Sad to say this, IWAP, but injuries, even serious ones that could possibly be life-threatening, are not going to put people off playing sports if they love them that much. Sports encourage one to not think of their own personal good but rather, to do things that will benefit the team as a whole and to make sure they can always be there to stand by the team when possible. You say Communism much?

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
The Imperialist

Post by The Imperialist »

I personally do not hate that spirit, but it is directed at the wrong thing.
Jerry McGuire
Sportsman

Post by Jerry McGuire »

i_like_1981 wrote:Our football players here in Britain will go flying flat out on the grass if they're so much as touched by another player on the field. They hardly seem to be able to take anything before they're on their arses clutching themselves in pain.
I like the sport of soccer, but many Americans are put off from it because of this. I think it's an unfair "tactic" that cheapens the game. Sure, you were able to score a goal, but then pretending to be hurt to waste time so the other team can't? Where's the sportsmanship in that? That isn't competitive. That shouldn't win you a World Cup, it should win you an Oscar!
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Over here the soccer players are raised to the position of idols by the media and their fans. Everybody seems to respect them, and I suppose it's because they think they have everyone's support why they try and get economical with the truth or push their luck, such as exaggerating a fall on the pitch during a game or getting it on with other women behind their wives' backs. Society makes them feel they're superior and they can get away with it, and that's just how they feel. Not that I'd know about sportsmanship, but the people on our national team seem to be a load of cheaters and hacks. I look forward to the day when "we" have to play against Germany again. That'll put them in their place!

"Win them an Oscar"... yes, I agree. They really do know how to put on a good show. They can be so convincing as well with their overblown injury reactions, although there is the slight possibility that they could really just be wimps.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

The Imperialist

They all pretend to be hurt when certain "fouls" are at hand, but pretend to be all tough on all other occasions.

I tend to think that actually, they are all a bunch of wimps, and the facade they put on is actually only their because of peer pressure.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

The Imperialist wrote:They all pretend to be hurt when certain "fouls" are at hand, but pretend to be all tough on all other occasions.

I tend to think that actually, they are all a bunch of wimps, and the facade they put on is actually only their because of peer pressure.
I couldn't agree more. They enjoy milking the fouls inflicted on them for all they're worth. People are tripped over all the time, and these footballers are playing on a nice soft surface like grass. Imagine if football was played on concrete and one of these players hit the ground head-first? THEN I would understand the agonised reactions these footballers give to even relatively minor foul-ups.

I just think that they're stuck up and that everyone should be at their beck and call if they have even the slightest accident. These people, as I've said, are meant to be the best, strongest specimens of the masculine kind, and they're on their arses for ages, acting like death's looking them in the face, if they fall over during the game... on grass. Oh wow. The agony.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

The Imperialist

Oh agony, the soft, plush soil that absorbs the impact and force of the falling player! Such tragedy!

Seriously, these people have to properly 'man up' and stop being a bunch of cowardly hypocrites.
MesiTheJackal

Post by MesiTheJackal »

I hate that attitude amoung our society! In fact when a football player DIED at my school, all all the guys cared about was taking his place....
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

MesiTheJackal wrote:I hate that attitude amoung our society! In fact when a football player DIED at my school, all all the guys cared about was taking his place....
Well, the death of a known figure in the community is an event that deserves acknowledgement and respect, and it's always more shocking and tragic if that person should be young. Nonetheless, it's pretty damn selfish and odious to only care about somebody's death in a hope of assuming an honourable place they once occupied... but I know from personal experiences that morality is not a big thing in high schools. It comes with maturity as people enter their adulthoods. But not everyone's moral standards are admirable, as we know...

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Silence

Post by Silence »

Addressing the original post, yes, I agree. It's quite sad that people aren't actually paying attention to the injuries that football players endure. They only care if he's going to be able to play or not. To someone, it may sound like that people actually care, albeit not so much in my eyes. An injury is a serious thing, it can go from bad to worse if not treated properly. It's disheartening to see the lack of care, but it's just my 2 cents on the matter.
MesiTheJackal wrote:I hate that attitude amoung our society! In fact when a football player DIED at my school, all all the guys cared about was taking his place....
Speaking out as a young teenager, I find that extremely disrepectful, and I'm being very frank here. It's like they're showing no consideration to the dead football player's family. To me, it's like they're taking the advantage of the renown that the player has gained and are making it their own. I should also emphasize that that is what pretty much his teammates cared for, taking the vacant position.
i_like_1981 wrote:Nonetheless, it's pretty damn selfish and odious to only care about somebody's death in a hope of assuming an honourable place they once occupied...
This sums up all the points I was trying to make here. Eating off one person's fame to gain your own fame is really a selfish act.
Every ending is a new beginning.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Hate to say it, but many teenagers are extremely selfish and are more than happy to gain power and prestige by... usurping that which is somebody else's! I hate to offend any teenage members we have here at the moment but come on, I'm sure you have to put up with a load of self-centred, arrogant yobs every day who only care about personal gain and being the best all the time. The ones who can't acknowledge the fact that life is not all about competition.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Silence

Post by Silence »

i_like_1981 wrote:I'm sure you have to put up with a load of self-centred, arrogant yobs every day who only care about personal gain and being the best all the time. The ones who can't acknowledge the fact that life is not all about competition.
That's actually quite the truth. I could probably go on a tangent about the many jocks I encounter in my high school are arrogant. It's one of my pet peeves... I just find it annoying when people think that they're the center of the entire world. That the entire world will tear down if they just disappeared, or that they will be mushed with attention when they accomplish something, no matter how small it is.
i_like_1981 wrote:Hate to say it, but many teenagers are extremely selfish and are more than happy to gain power and prestige by... usurping that which is somebody else's!
I don't want to say this either in case of offending anyone else my age, but this is also true. Well at least it is from what I've experienced. It's quite hard to put it into words that would make sense, but I used to often see this kind of behavior back in middle school. Especially in 8th grade, I saw peers being cruel to each other by popularity, once someone is not in the "in" crowd anymore, no one really cares. When another person fills in the spot, they get all the love that the former person used to get. That's the best example I could give of usurping popularity outside the context of sport. From personal experience of course, I was never part of that crowd. To be honest, I'm quite happy about it. I'd much rather be myself than be subjected to standards by your peers, it just adds more stress.

Anything else to say... Well, I still find it quite sad that no proper care is given to football players if they're injured. As much as a majority of sports fans want to consider them as the ultimate representations of toughness, they're still people, they can get injured like us. But if they're just going to shrug off injuries like nothing, then they may as well. If it's going to keep their image up. But I still consider it moronic.
Every ending is a new beginning.
Earl

Post by Earl »

Silence, I think you would be interested in the following link, which Fat Man posted in a previous topic. This is relevant to what you just said.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... 2/18/pear/
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

I had that topic in mind as well, and would have made sure to mention it on this thread if you hadn't. Pretty shameful, isn't it, how these old heroes are treated by the industry to which they gave their life, and sometimes, their health, isn't it? They've given their life to the professional football league and got given nothing in return. Another reason why I think professional league sports suck - the business aspect of it has become too important for its own good now, and they won't even do anything for their most famous players when they need it the most. It's all about making money now, not about caring for people's wellbeing!

Best regards,
i_like_1981