2010 South African Solar Challenge (Sept 23 - Oct 2)

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Agent 47

2010 South African Solar Challenge (Sept 23 - Oct 2)

Post by Agent 47 »

South African Solar Challenge website wrote:
The South African Solar Challenge (SASC) is managed by the Advanced Energy Foundation. The primary objective is to design, manage, build and race solar powered vehicles across South Africa. The challenge sees a collaboration between scholars, students, private individuals and various industry and government partners, to work together to have a safe, technology-rich event.

Schedule -

2010-09-21 Tue Innovate Meeting, 5:00pm At the Innovation HUB in Pretoria.
2010-09-22 Wed Scrutinizing at the Innovation HUB in Pretoria
Team Briefing, at the Innovation HUB at 6:00pm

2010-09-23 Thu Start in Pretoria (9am) - Sleep in Bloemfontein
2010-09-24 Fri Sleep in Beaufort West
2010-09-25 Sat Sleep in Cape Town
2010-09-26 Sun Sleep in Cape Town
2010-09-27 Mon Sleep in George
2010-09-28 Tue Sleep in Grahamstown
2010-09-29 Wed Sleep in Kokstad
2010-09-30 Thu Sleep in Richards Bay
2010-10-01 Fri Sleep in Badplass
2010-10-02 Sat Finish Pretoria at the Innovation HUB (Arriving from 10am to 5pm)
Prize giving on Saturday evening, starting at 6:00pm
The SASC was held for the first time in 2008. It covers approximately 4,087 kilometres (2,539 miles) of public roads around South Africa.

2010_SASC_RouteMap.jpg
2010_SASC_RouteMap.jpg (113.03 KiB) Viewed 444 times
Website - http://www.solarchallenge.org.za/
"We can’t find a healthy brain in an ex-football player."

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2873539.htm
Agent 47

Re: 2010 South African Solar Challenge (Sept 23 - Oct 2)

Post by Agent 47 »

I got these next pictures from Wikipedia, and apparently I have to make the following legal disclaimer about them -

"The original author of these pictures is Hideki Kimura (Tokai University), and he/she does not necessarily endorse the use of them here."

There. That should keep the lawyers at bay!

So, now, this car is called the "Tokai Falcon". Here it is the year it won the South African Solar Challenge in 2008...

2008_SASC_CAUTION-IMPALA.jpg
2008_SASC_CAUTION-IMPALA.jpg (162.69 KiB) Viewed 423 times
2008_SASC_TokaiFalcon.jpg
2008_SASC_TokaiFalcon.jpg (204.82 KiB) Viewed 423 times

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Very interesting vehicle there, dickfilthy. But I can't see it catching on with drivers of the world. Still, it's good to know that people are taking the matter of using renewable, clean energy sources to power vehicles more seriously now and perhaps if more attention is brought onto this competition, other countries will be influenced to follow suit. As far as I'm aware, we don't have anything like this in Britain, but then again, Britain is definitely not the place to go if you want to live off solar power. Our summers couldn't be less summer-like.

I'd be interested to see more photos, especially of vehicles that look like they could well catch on in years to come.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
The Imperialist

Post by The Imperialist »

Uraaaaaa! Japan! (That is really all i have to say)
Agent 47

Post by Agent 47 »

i_like_1981 wrote: I can't see it catching on with drivers of the world.
Can't you?! Oh I can. But I suppose I'm seeing things through the perspective of someone living in a generally sunnier climate though.

I think that if these cars were to be made available to the general public, then they would sell like hotcakes!

I mean, you'd get a car that uses zero fuel. Ever. And so that addresses peoples desire to be environmentally responsible, and it also satisfies peoples desire to save money. It's a win win situation. These cars just make so much sense.
i_like_1981 wrote: As far as I'm aware, we don't have anything like this in Britain
Well, not Britain, but there is a solar car event in Europe. In fact, it's on this weekend! So if you're not doing anything this Sunday, then just pop on over to Belgium and have a look!

http://www.sportssuck.org/phpbb2/viewto ... 14&start=0
i_like_1981 wrote: I'd be interested to see more photos, especially of vehicles that look like they could well catch on in years to come.
Well here's one that might be more to your liking - a retro style solar car! And it's from Germany!! It looks like they've purposely based the shape of it on a VW Beetle.

It's built by students at the Bochum University of Applied Sciences, and it's called the "Bo Cruiser"...

2009_WSC_BoCruiser_Uluru.jpg
2009_WSC_BoCruiser_Uluru.jpg (192.38 KiB) Viewed 405 times

Agent 47

Post by Agent 47 »

The Imperialist wrote: Uraaaaaa! Japan!
Ah, Imperialist - here's a little bit of technical information about Japan's entry into this year's South African Solar Challenge that you might be interested in. The car is called the "Tokai Challenger" this year...
JCN Network wrote: http://www.japancorp.net/article.asp?Art_ID=22979

The "Tokai Challenger" solar car is equipped with Sharp compound solar cells developed for outer space applications. The cells have an output of 1.8 kW and a cell conversion efficiency of 30%, the highest level in the world.
They will probably win.

2010_SASC_TokaiChallenger.jpg
2010_SASC_TokaiChallenger.jpg (140.35 KiB) Viewed 405 times

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

dickfilthy wrote:So if you're not doing anything this Sunday, then just pop on over to Belgium and have a look!
Nope, nothing on this Sunday. But the chances of me even leaving town on that day, let alone the country, are as always, very slim...

Yep, the German solar car you've shown me looks more like it could catch on over here. I say this because it does adhere more to the traditional car shape - people don't want to stand out too much on the road, unless it's a flash set of wheels they're in control of. But something that resembles a baking tray on four wheels... I don't think the egotistic alpha males and stunning chicks would be taking to those in a hurry...

Did I just say "chicks"? Now who does that remind you of?

It wouldn't surprise me that the Germans had something to do with the solar car you've shown me. Whenever there's a great technological advance made over here in Europe, you can be pretty sure the Germans were involved in it to some extent. I don't see myself going over there any time soon, but I would sure like to. It's very much the main power of our continent.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Agent 47

Post by Agent 47 »

Yeah, the whole idea that they "look a bit weird" is being addressed by the body that makes the rules of solar car racing, by encouraging the development of several different classes of cars.

Those "baking trays on three wheels" :lol: such as those Tokai University cars above, are in the fastest category called "Challenge" class. They are basically the "formula one's" of solar cars, and that look is just what the most efficient shape has evolved into. They are as thin as possible, with only one driver crammed in there, and only three wheels for maximum efficiency.

But there are other classes. The main other one is "Adventure" class, and there are a couple of others, and it's in these other classes that you'll find the more practical looking cars. Some of them have four wheels, some of them seat two people, and they are made to sit more upright etc.

So there are some slightly less weird looking solar cars out there! Here are some more of them -

This first one is "Merdeka 2" from the CDPM University of Malaya. I just love this one because it looks like it's saying - "To hell with your laws of aerodynamics!".
2009_WSC_Merdeka2.jpg
2009_WSC_Merdeka2.jpg (90.79 KiB) Viewed 386 times
This next one is "Kelly 62" from Australia - one of the few four wheeler, two seaters, and a real nice looking machine.
2007_WSC_Kelly62.jpg
2007_WSC_Kelly62.jpg (66.43 KiB) Viewed 386 times
And this one is another one from Germany's Bochum University - "Solar World No.1" - this car just recently finished third in the 2010 American Solar Challenge.
200x_BochumUni_SolarWorldNo1.jpg
200x_BochumUni_SolarWorldNo1.jpg (49.62 KiB) Viewed 386 times