New user, ghij548 is probably a spammer

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
The Imperialist

New user, ghij548 is probably a spammer

Post by The Imperialist »

I just wanted to point out the newest member ghij548 is probably one of those spammer. Look at his/her/it's 'website' www.thefakewatch.com. So blatant.

(I think that any member names that make no English sense is a spammer... or is is just a random character and number names)
i_like_1981

Re: New user, ghij548 is probably a spammer

Post by i_like_1981 »

The Imperialist wrote:I just wanted to point out the newest member ghij548 is probably one of those spammer. Look at his/her/it's 'website' http://www.thefakewatch.com. So blatant.

(I think that any member names that make no English sense is a spammer... or is is just a random character and number names)
Yep, the website name is more than a bit of a giveaway, isn't it?

There are still plenty of spammers who signed up last month who haven't posted yet. And yes, their intentions here can pretty easily be discerned by looking at the username. Random letters? Numbers thrown randomly at the end? Yep, signs of a spammer.

I wonder if he'll post anything or will his account be deleted first? There is of course the very slight chance that he could be a genuine member. It's always best to act on proof.

Edit: I just visited the spammer's link and it's absolutely hilarious. They pride themselves in the fact that they sell FAKE WATCHES. Are these people for real?

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Earl

Post by Earl »

I must say to The Imperialist that as soon as I saw the new so-called member's username, I suspected that he/she/whatever had to be a spammer. Don't know why they would give themselves away so easily. A lot of these new so-called members have been sitting on their rears for weeks but have not posted once. It's almost enough for me to wish that Samdaman :x or someone just like him were posting. What am I saying? *Earl slaps himself in the face* But come to think of it, it would be fun, I suppose, in a twisted sort of way. I guess I should heed the old adage "Be careful what you wish for." :wink:

Hi, i_like_1981. As much as I'm tempted to do so, I won't ban a new member whom I suspect of being a spammer-in-waiting. The policy is to let them make the first move. But I won't delay if the need to ban arises. :twisted: :mrgreen:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
The Imperialist

Such wonderful wars will commence.
Earl

Post by Earl »

The Imperialist wrote:Such wonderful wars will commence.
Let's hope so. Imperialist, I would have been thrilled to see a match between you and Samdaman :x . I have no doubt that he would have lost. You would be a most formidable opponent.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
The Imperialist

That would have been VERY interesting. VERY. (Besides, he is a complete idiot, who tried to do spy games with ADMINISTRATORS, and didn't know enough about IP addresses. I will not lose to somebody like him UPON MY HONOUR)
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

The Imperialist wrote:That would have been VERY interesting. VERY. (Besides, he is a complete idiot, who tried to do spy games with ADMINISTRATORS, and didn't know enough about IP addresses. I will not lose to somebody like him UPON MY HONOUR)
Ha. This is where his contempt and ignorance towards all things "geeky" turned against him. No admin abilities for him!

And it seems as though our spammer has proved all your suspicions correct, Imperialist. But it didn't take a hell of a lot of brain cells to realise his true purpose here.
Earl wrote:Hi, i_like_1981. As much as I'm tempted to do so, I won't ban a new member whom I suspect of being a spammer-in-waiting.
If the spammer is not posting, click on his profile name and look at his information. He'll sometimes have his website link printed on his profile, and if it's for shitty fake watches, sexual aid drugs, or someone's crappy blog that nobody cares about, or anything along those lines (totally irrelevant to the forum), then you can be sure that user is a spammer. But for others, you will have to wait until they post before you can determine their true purpose here. Some users do choose to pick spammer-ish names, and some spammers choose to pick more normal names. Things aren't always so easy.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

The Imperialist

I have this feeling that spammers a trickling in, and there are 'sleeper' spammer/troll acconts on this forum. (Too many 'isolated' *cough *cough coincidences- statistically improbable)
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

The Imperialist wrote:I have this feeling that spammers a trickling in, and there are 'sleeper' spammer/troll acconts on this forum. (Too many 'isolated' *cough *cough coincidences- statistically improbable)
I agree. The Members list is full of spammer-ish names and I recall seeing a few links to crappy websites on there as well. But we need to wait before they make a post before we can confirm their purpose here and delete/keep as appropriate. You can never be sure, and some genuine members on websites do give themselves spammer-ish names. But they're not really doing much harm at all. Their posts and profiles are always deleted when spam hits the board so they don't gain anything from posting their shit up here. As I've said so many times - what is the point?

Best regards,
i_like_1981

The Imperialist

One thing I will probably do if I become a dictator of a large country with a lot of computers with spam origins, is to track down each spammer and force them to do hard farm labour (with proper quality control- if a quality of a certain batch is not up to standard, we shoot the whole group) followed by execution after they become useless for farming.

They must repay their unproductive, electricity and time wasting crime by becoming productive.