An Alternative Design For The Olympics Logo???

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

An Alternative Design For The Olympics Logo???

Post by Fat Man »

Someone has come up with an alternative design for the Olympics Logo.

BUT IT STILL LOOKS LIKE SHIT!!!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

abitagirl

Re: An Alternative Design For The Olympics Logo???

Post by abitagirl »

Hey, I like that one! :twisted:
Yes, it really is JUST A GAME.
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

Purdy culurz! IT ARE LIKE NEON! YAY!

I especially like the pink drop-shadows and the cobblestone background (?).
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Where did you find that picture? May I be so bold as to assume that there are other people out in this wild world of ours that share my contempt for these overblown, overhyped Olympics that shall be the sole purpose of my country's existence in the summer of 2012? I do like the logo. It doesn't look a great deal worse than the actual one, to be honest. Dare I say, it's even better.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

lol. Sad thing is, it's better than the original.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Lewis wrote:lol. Sad thing is, it's better than the original.
You're quite right. Somebody probably wasn't paid £100,000 to make that logo unlike the actual Olympics logo which was hardly any better. As I've said, all this money in the sporting industry that is going into undeserving people's pockets at a higher rate than they can handle... it's DIRTY MONEY! Not earned, just forced upon them by an industry that can afford to waste it by the million!

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Lewis

Post by Lewis »

Iran threatens Olympic boycott over logo design

Iran has threatened to boycott the London 2012 Olympics unless organisers agree to change the design of the logo.

The Iranian government has lodged a formal protest with the International Olympic Committee over the four-year-old logo, claiming that it must be changed since it spells out the word 'Zion'.

And the Middle Eastern nation has warned that it will order its athletes to stay at home next summer unless the logo is replaced and its creators asked to explain themselves.

"As internet documents have proved, using the word Zion in the logo of the 2012 Olympic Games is a disgracing action and against the Olympics' valuable mottos," the Iranian government wrote in a letter to the IOC, which was released via the state-backed Iranian Students Agency.

"There is no doubt that negligence of the issue from your side may affect the presence of some countries in the Games, especially Iran which abides by commitment to the values and principles."

It's not the first time that the logo has been at the centre of an unusual complaint: it has been heavily criticised ever since first being unveiled in 2007, and has been compared to everything from a swastika to a stylised image of two people making love.

But this is the first time that the design of the logo has prompted a threat to stay away from the sporting showcase.

An IOC official confirmed that the letter had been received, but insisted that the logo "represents the figure 2012, nothing else" while a London 2012 spokesman told The Guardian that "we are surprised that this complaint has been made now".
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/wor ... cle/34515/

Hopefully others will join in and we can cancel this waste of money.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

I always knew that the 2012 Olympics logo wasn't held in high regard by even the loyal fans of the event, but I never thought anyone would take offence at it and threaten to pull out of the event because of it. I guess it goes to prove how crap the logo really is. Absolutely no imagination or artistic beauty, thousands of pounds paid to its creators for nothing, and now a country threatening to withdraw their involvement in the event because of a resemblance it bears... I'll bet that logo is rather heavily resented now!

Sadly, Lewis, I strongly doubt enough people will pull out to justify its cancellation. Not after all this money that's gone in to create new infrastructure for the event. But we can hope...

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

It looks boring. I don't remember the old one but if its as bad as they everyone says it is its probably even more boring. I didn't even know Iran competed in the Olympics.
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Indurrago wrote:It looks boring. I don't remember the old one but if its as bad as they everyone says it is its probably even more boring. I didn't even know Iran competed in the Olympics.
I don't think they plan on changing the current logo. I suppose that's because they're going to find it a lost cause to get the £100,000 back from the talentless wastes of space who designed this sad excuse for a logo. As Blackadder once said, they have all the artistic skill of a couple of colourblind hedgehogs in a bag.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Sorry Lewis, I've just read somewhere that Iran are NOT going to be pulling out of the 2012 Olympics. I guess they realised that it would make them look silly if they dropped their involvement with the whole competition just because of an objection to the logo. I wasn't surprised to hear this - it's what sports do to you! They take a grip over your mind and it's very hard to break free! When there's money involved, change "very hard" to "impossible"! With Euro 2012 also set to happen next summer and England intent on getting into that, it's going to be a hard year for us British sports haters!

Best regards,
i_like_1981

ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

i_like_1981 wrote:Sorry Lewis, I've just read somewhere that Iran are NOT going to be pulling out of the 2012 Olympics.
Whew...I was so worried about that! :roll:
i_like_1981 wrote: I guess they realised that it would make them look silly if they dropped their involvement with the whole competition just because of an objection to the logo. I wasn't surprised to hear this - it's what sports do to you! They take a grip over your mind and it's very hard to break free! When there's money involved, change "very hard" to "impossible"! With Euro 2012 also set to happen next summer and England intent on getting into that, it's going to be a hard year for us British sports haters!
Here in the U.S., most people feel they're "supposed" to like the Olympics, whether they typically watch sports or not. "Oh, I normally don't watch sports, but this is the Olympics, after all, so I guess I'll watch and support my country". I never did figure out how watching someone swim or run a race was "supporting your country", but whatever....All that really comes out of it is a few winning athletes who get big commercial endorsements, and host cities/countries are left in debt and with stadiums and facilities they have no real use for. I also get irritated about how it's billed as a "triumph of the human spirit", blah blah blah, yet there's always something to put a damper on it -- doping scandals, crooked judges. threats of terrorism and violence, political boycotts, etc., etc.
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

ChrisOH wrote: Here in the U.S., most people feel they're "supposed" to like the Olympics, whether they typically watch sports or not. "Oh, I normally don't watch sports, but this is the Olympics, after all, so I guess I'll watch and support my country". I never did figure out how watching someone swim or run a race was "supporting your country", but whatever....All that really comes out of it is a few winning athletes who get big commercial endorsements, and host cities/countries are left in debt and with stadiums and facilities they have no real use for. I also get irritated about how it's billed as a "triumph of the human spirit", blah blah blah, yet there's always something to put a damper on it -- doping scandals, crooked judges. threats of terrorism and violence, political boycotts, etc., etc.
Yeah I definitely feel that here, living the US too. I've read of occurrences where people have admitted to not caring for professional sports but go crazy for the Olympics. Someone how everyone is fed the idea that athletic achievement equates to greatness from the country of origin. Which is so much bullshit on so many levels. Tbh I don't even really care for the Olympics, the only time I would notice if Olympic related stuff is being posted everything(homepages, youtube, etc) or I find my dad watching them.

Here's alittle article I found about truth of the Olympics.

10 reasons to oppose the Olympics
http://www.bmartin.cc/pubs/96freedom.html

Here's another specifically about '10 Vancour Games but most of their points, I think are not exclusive to.
Resist 2010: Eight Reasons to Oppose the 2010 Winter Olympics(Video)
http://pieceofmind.publicrealm.net/2010 ... ics-video/

After watching the video, and doing some searching I found out Colorado was the only state(or nation) to ever turn down the offer to host the Olympics. Good for Colorado.
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

Olympic legacy pledge 'cannot be met'

The London Olympics will not be able to fulfil its promise of helping Britain's neediest young people, according to a report.

The legacy pledge will come to be seen as a "highly effective sales pitch that was never fully realised", the Centre for Social Justice think tank said.

Promising a sporting legacy across the country lay at the heart of the London 2012 bid.

But the report said: "The legacy promise will come in time to be viewed as a highly effective sales pitch that was never fully realised.

"The scale of the challenge that the Olympic organisers have set themselves is too high for the relatively limited amounts of funding and the programmes that have been promised, to deliver successfully."

In November, a £135 million Lottery-funded drive was announced to encourage mass participation in sport on the back of the London Games.

Olympics Minister Hugh Robertson had said tackling the poor state of sports facilities across the country is a top priority.

A nationwide campaign to offer teenagers and young adults six weeks of coaching in the sport of their choice was also announced.

But the Centre for Social Justice said upgrading facilities will not in itself increase participation, adding that taster coaching courses had failed to engage disadvantaged groups.

The report said: "Limited available funding and the tendency to direct what there is into capital spending and short-term programming mean that it is difficult to see how the money allocated to this can be expected to produce greater benefits for disadvantaged young people.

"The participation target was intrinsically flawed from the outset, not just because it was more convincing as a sales pitch than a policy objective, but also because engaging any number of additional people in some unspecified sporting activity is not the same thing as a serious, targeted work aimed at transforming the lives of Britain's neediest people."

The report also said previous Olympics, such as the Sydney Games in Australia failed to produce an increase in participation, and pointed out that popular school sports such as cricket, rounders and netball will not feature in London 2012. It added that there was no evidence of a link between national sporting success and increased levels of sporting activity.

The full report, More Than A Game: Harnessing the power of sport to transform the lives of disadvantaged young people, will be formally launched on Tuesday.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olym ... 87328.html

I've got an idea. I propose that we cancel this white elephant, and take the money spent and we invest it in education and housing for the needy, then the vulnerable will have more of an opportunity. This is what you get for investing in a Blair vanity project, I bet that he overruled Cabinet on this, like he did with the Millennium Dome.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Lewis wrote:I've got an idea. I propose that we cancel this white elephant, and take the money spent and we invest it in education and housing for the needy, then the vulnerable will have more of an opportunity. This is what you get for investing in a Blair vanity project, I bet that he overruled Cabinet on this, like he did with the Millennium Dome.
Hate to say it, Lewis, but this country is going to cut everything else before it so much as even taps into all the wealth within the world of sports that really could be put to better use in other places. Sadly, we are in a country of crazed sports fans who are very easy to disappoint and even anger. Even so much as suggesting too much money is going into the Olympics will gain you quite a lot of contempt from the sports nuts of this country.

Best regards,
i_like_1981