Greetings from England

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Silence

Re: Greetings from England

Post by Silence »

Bonjour! (Excuse the French greeting, very random on my behalf)

Welcome to the forum. I can definitely understand your hate for sport. It's quite amazing that we both hate it in a relatively same reason, which is drive it down other people's throats, or something close to that. However, for me, my hatred of sports began developing when I was in Middle School (or Junior High for anyone who is used to that term). It was in PE class, and it resembled the traditional sports-centered PE that a few (I don't exactly know how much though, I'm still relatively new) of the members here have endured. Sorry if I didn't go to too much detail, but everyday we either play a sport or the sport itself was an entire unit.

Now, do not get me wrong, I am not trying to say that sports should be banned for schools forever, or it should be terminated off from the face of the earth. I'm simply saying, why force it down on others when they simply have ZERO interest in doing such things? I know life can be unfair and you must endure some things whether you like it or not, but schools should really offer at least a chance of having sports as something separate. My views are identical to Earl's, make sports-oriented PE an elective class for those who like sports, and leave the other students that have no interest in it pursue a class that would actually be helpful to their education.

Sorry for that long tangent, it's quite interesting to see what other people hate about sports from another end of the spectrum. Sometimes, it gets quite annoying when athletes are viewed as a paragon of excellence just because of playing some sport. Blasphemy in my eyes. To me, they're just people that just manage to play a sport really well. The amount of money these athletes earn is just nothing sort of ridiculous, and they even demand more?

Sorry for the extremely late welcome, school has kept me busy. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Au Revoir,
Silence
Every ending is a new beginning.
i_like_1981

Re: Greetings from England

Post by i_like_1981 »

Silence wrote:Now, do not get me wrong, I am not trying to say that sports should be banned for schools forever, or it should be terminated off from the face of the earth. I'm simply saying, why force it down on others when they simply have ZERO interest in doing such things?
I can only presume that because the majority of kids enjoy doing this sort of thing, the people running the schools will presume that they'll be benefitting the majority of the students' happiness and satisfaction by making it compulsory and quite regular in the timetable. It's ironic, because those who tend to suffer most in these compulsory sport classes are the ones who do best in their academic classes but lack physical ability and coordination. Schools should be nurturing the minds of these students and not allowing them to suffer. What the hell is a school doing if it's letting its strongest minds get broken down by sports-related abuse, which should have less importance in an educational environment than academic subjects? Earl is right. PE NEEDS to be made an elective subject in schools, and those who choose not to do it should be encouraged to improve their physical fitness in an environment that will not shame them for their failures or inabilities. I understand the importance of being physically fit, but it just can't be achieved for everyone when they feel threatened or ashamed in their own abilities, which torment in PE classes can do to some young people, like myself, in fact.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.