How Sports Destroyed My Family Life! Please Read And Reply!

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

How Sports Destroyed My Family Life! Please Read And Reply!

Post by Fat Man »

OK, everybody.

I have been putting this off for far too long, but now I need to come clean once and for all.

I believe I have mentioned somewhere before in these forums that I'm the oldest of three kids in my family, and I believe that I mentioned that I have a younger brother, and my sister being the youngest.

Now, in a topic I had posted earlier this year THE HORSE THIEVES AMONG US!
http://www.sportssuck.org/phpbb2/viewto ... f=1&t=4425

I had mentioned the times I was suspended from school.

But what I have never mentioned was that my younger brother and sister disowned me, and were actually ashamed to be seen in public with me after I was suspended from school for three years when I was in the 7th grade.

And I had mentioned quite a few times here about having an emotional and mental breakdown and spending three weeks in a mental hospital.

Well, after that, my own brother and sister treated me like dirt, like I was an ex-convict or something, or even worse. Ex-mental-patients are looked down upon with even lower disregard than an ex-convict, even though I had never committed any crimes or broken any laws.

Of course, my mother stood by me, and we became very close through my emotional crises while I was trying to recover from what had happened to me.

That was when I was 17 years old back in 1969.

Then, back in 1974, my younger brother joined the Army and a few years later my sister also joined the Army. Naturally I knew the Army wouldn't take me, because when I turned 18 back in September 30,1969, I had to register for the draft, and the Army wouldn't take me for three reasons.

1.) Because of my crippled up left knee, I was unable to run and I would be unable to hike the long distance that would be required in Boot Camp.

2.) I was about 120 pounds overweight. They'll take you if you're only 50 pounds overweight because they can get that off from you once you're in.

3.) The fact that I spent three week in a mental hospital.

Well, I was actually glad that I didn't have to worry about getting drafted.

Ah! But after my dear sweet brother and my dear sweet sister joined the Army, they lorded it over me! They thought they were better than I was because the Army took them, while I was rejected!

They both looked down on me as a total reject, first rejected from school, and now, rejected by Uncle Sam! So they both thought they were better than I was.

OK, now lets go back to around 1970 or 1971.

We had moved out into the high desert where we had bought 2 acres of land at a development area named Moon Gate outside of Las Cruces New Mexico on the way toward the Organ Mountains.

Here are some more beautiful pictures of the Organ Mountains.

New Mexico's Organ Mountains Tribute
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbV2XPSgOEI

Las Cruces, New Mexico Organ Mountain (I've Been Through The Desert On A horse With No Name)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV_-jvpsZFE&NR=1

Organ Mountain Sunrise - Native American Flute music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0geWM3c ... re=related

People have died trying to climb these mountains. These are the kind of mountains that say "You may look, but don't touch!"

I loved the high desert. It was actually about 10 degrees cooler than it was back down in Mesilla Valley where Las Cruces was located. The Organ Mountains rose to over 9000 feet above sea level. Where we were living we were about 5000 feet, almost a mile above sea level, and Las Cruses was about 3,500 feet above sea level, so it was a little bit cooler on the high desert.

I loved it there because at night the sky was much darker and I enjoyed going out with my little 2.5 inch refractor telescope to observe the stars and planets.

I also enjoyed the desert, because I wanted to create a desert garden, so I would walk around out in the desert and bring back some cactus for my cactus garden.

Living out there was good for me, because after having come home from the mental hospital I very seldom wanted to go outdoors, because I felt shame, and of course, my own brother and sister only added to my feelings of shame.

But out at Moon Gate, living on the high desert, I enjoyed going outdoors again. I have always loved the high desert, so living there was good for me.

I love that which is beautiful, such as the high desert, high mountain ranges, the night sky. Astronomy is beautiful. Sports is ugly! Sports ruins people's lives, and I hated having the ugliness of sports imposed on me, and sports destroyed my family life and inspired the hatred my brother and sister had toward me, because they were ashamed of me for being suspended from school on three different occasions.

I was betrayed by my own brother and sister. They are traitors!

Anyway . . . . .

We lived out there for a couple of years, until my stepfather died then we had to move back to Las Cruces again, but I was happy when we were living out there at Moon Gate.

So, I would walk around out in the desert looking for cactus to transplant in my cactus garden.

But I also wanted to build my own little observatory out there. I had bought a kit from the Edmond Scientific Company so that I could grind and polish an 8 inch mirror to build my own Newtonian style reflector telescope, and after the Pyrex mirror blank was ground and polished, I would have to send it off to be aluminized, where they place the mirror blank in a small vacuum chamber and coat it with a thin layer of vaporized aluminum to about a millionth of an inch thick.

OK, this was back in 1970 and 1971 when my brother and sister were still going to high school, and I had been suspended from high school, and this was about a couple of years after my three week stay in the state mental hospital.

My brother was in the marching band. He played the trumpet, and he was damn good! My mother worked her butt off for him, getting his marching uniform altered so it would fit him properly and taking him to play in the high school concerts and marching in the football field during the night games. My mother worked very hard for him.

So, my mother felt that I deserved to have something for myself as well.

In order to work on grinding and polishing my concave mirror, I needed to keep my bedroom absolutely clean and as dust free as possible.

But my brother, he was going "Stomp" at the time, wearing cowboy boots and coming in from the desert all dirty and dusty after hunting with his air rifle and he kept hanging his dirty dusty jacket on the curtain rod in our bedroom.

I was a Hippie back then, having long hair and listening to rock music and I also enjoyed classical music, while my brother went "Stomp" listening to redneck music and wearing western clothes and coming in all covered with dust.

Well, we got into an argument over how he was getting dust all over my optical work causing scratches when I was in the polishing phase of my telescope mirror.

My brother got all pissed off, and he started pounding me on my back and kicking me in my left leg, my crippled up left knee, so even my own younger brother was a bully who liked to beat up on me.

Oh! And my sister, she was just as rotten. She once borrowed some of my records, one of my favorites was a 45 RPM with a song by Ed Aims, Who Will Answer, which she left laying on her desk in her bedroom, the sun beating down on it and it got all warped. I also had a large 33 RPM record with Space Odyssey 2001 which came out in 1968 I believe, and she had borrowed that from me, and never returned it. So, she liked to steal from me.

OK, over the years, my brother and I, we had been on and off speaking terms.

One day, back in 2003 I believe it was, we use to chat using the AOL Instant Message, and it was during one of our many disagreements that my brother finally came out with the truth.

HE TRIED TO MAKE AN ATTEMPT ON MY LIFE!!!

I never knew about this at the time, but he finally told me, that back in 1971, when were were living out there at Moon Gate, he was pissed off and went into a neighbor's house and stole a shot gun, and as he was leaving the premises, the owner of the house was out in the yard, and he grabbed the shot gun from my brother.

During our AOL Instant Message chat on the Internet, I asked my brother why he wanted to come after me with the shot gun, and he said that it was because I was being a disruptive influence in our family, that I was disrupting our family because I wanted to build a telescope and a small observatory outdoors, that my insisting on keeping the bedroom so immaculate was disrupting our family.

My brother and I shared the same bedroom. I only asked that he would not hang his dirty jacket on the curtain rod.

I also pointed out, that he had a brand new $150 dollar trumpet and our mother was working her butt off for him so he could play in the high school band, and she felt that I was at least entitled to my telescope mirror kit which I had ordered from the Edmond Scientific Company for a lousy $35 dollars.

Sometimes my brother would be practicing for hours on his trumpet and it was pretty loud. But we all listened because he was really good, and we were all proud of him, including me, I was proud of my brother because he was damn good! Yeah, I was proud of him even though my brother and sister were ashamed of me. So, there were times when I could not watch TV or listen to my records because my brother had to practice.

And he says I was disruptive to the family because I wanted to build a telescope???

I also wanted to get a guitar, and learn how to play it, but my stepfather objected, I was damn lucky to have anything at all, and it was only because my mother stood up for me.

And there were times when I needed new clothes or new shoes, but because of our limited income and our mother having to invest time and money in my brother because he was in the high school band, I sometimes had to make due wearing old clothes and worn out shoes.

Yeah! My own dear sweet brother wanted to blow me away with a shot gun! That ungrateful sanctimonious scum-bag piece of dog shit!!!

And recently, a couple of years ago, my brother dropped another bomb shell on me. When we were kids, our stepfather use to get drunk and beat up on my mother and I, however, my brother got along with our stepfather much better than I did.

Our stepfather passed on back in September 1971, about a month before his 80th birthday. He was a World War One veteran, and he was stationed in Germany. He was a tail-gunner in one of those bi-planes they had back then.

OK, now my brother and stepfather were much closer to each other while I was very close to my mother, so my brother got along with our stepfather better than I ever could.

Now here's the bomb shell my brother dropped on me back in 2008.

Back in the summer of 1971 when our stepfather became ill and was diagnosed with cancer of the colon, he knew that he didn't have much longer to live, so he wanted to clear his conscience before he died, so one day, my brother and our stepfather had a conversation together, while my mother and I were out somewhere. I always went out with my mother when we went out shopping or something in Las Cruces.

Anyway . . . . .

Our stepfather confessed to my brother during one of their many private conversations, that when he was stationed in Germany, he killed a security guard. Not an enemy security guard, but a US security guard, one of our own soldiers. He deliberately pushed the guy into a cold fast flowing river where he drowned, and his body was never recovered. And my brother knew about this for years, before he finally revealed it to me back in 2008.

So, all through out my teenage years, my mother and I lived with a killer in the house and never suspected it, and I lived with a potential killer, my own brother, and never knew it until he finally confessed it to me during an AOL private chat on line.

Oh! And by the way, my dear sweet brother has always voted Republican in all the Presidential Elections since we were both old enough to vote, and while I'm in the process of converting to Judaism, my brother became a Catholic back in 2004.

My brother also has racist attitudes and he's prejudice against us fat people!

AND BACK IN 1971 HE WANTED TO BLOW ME AWAY WITH A SHOT GUN!!!

Our mother passed on back in the summer of 1985, and she never knew about how my brother tried to steal a shotgun from a neighbor when we lived out at Moon Gate from March 1970 to September 1971. She never knew how he wanted to come after me with a loaded 12 gauge shot gun! And I didn't know about it, until he confessed it to me, almost bragging about it back in 2003 or 2004 during an AOL chat session on the Internet.

And, I have to live with this knowledge for the rest of my life!

Yeah, knowing that my own brother wanted to kill me!!!

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat because of dreams I can only vaguely remember.

YEAH! MY OWN DEAR SWEET BROTHER ONCE TRIED TO COME AFTER ME WITH A SHOT GUN!!!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

i_like_1981

Re: How Sports Destroyed My Family Life! Please Read And Re

Post by i_like_1981 »

It must be extremely traumatic and upsetting, knowing that any person has had the intention of making an attempt on your life, let alone a relative as close to you as your brother. Seeing as how it was 40 years ago, it may be a bit late to do this now, but have you considered letting the law know about this seeing as how there was an attempt to do murder? If anyone around me had plans to shoot me, I'd have to let the police know for my own good. One of the advantages of living on your own, I guess. It's sad to hear about this, really, because it sounds like you did absolutely nothing to harm anyone yet they all seemed to have it in for you. It's extremely unfair how undeserving people get that. I had to put up with similar crap at school, but there were definitely no murder attempts on me.

I do understand where your anger comes from. Believe me, there's more I'd like to say on this forum but I dare not. I try to be reasonable and pleasant on this forum when I post, but some aspects of the sporting culture and industry REALLY brown me off to the extent where I actually would want to see some people like Wayne Rooney get bumped off. What kind of a world are we living in when a fucking football player makes more in a week than the Prime Minister, the leader of our country, the man who 60 million people are looking to for the right decisions and to make life better for them, makes in a whole year? I kid you not. There are footballers in our country making more in a week than the PM does in a year. It's wasteful, absurd and completely outrageous. I'm very embittered towards the sporting culture as well, particularly the social and economic aspects of it. I understand there are plenty of things happening in this world that can make a person mad, and several aspects of the sporting culture do that to me. It's very easy to be wound up by the state of affairs in our world. In fact, it's more sane to be angry about it than to just accept it as "the way things are". I wonder how many other hard working citizens don't care about the fact that their achievements in life mean jack-shit to the world compared to the weekly escapades of some overpaid sports "hero"? Seems to me like many can't see the madness in how excessive it all is.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

Fat Man that's so sad. I could not imagine how hard life must have been for you and your mother. It looks like your brother and sister are nothing but greedy, self-obsessed cretins. Maybe you could write a letter to them to air your feelings, maybe that will enable you to get some closure.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

i_like_1981 wrote:It must be extremely traumatic and upsetting, knowing that any person has had the intention of making an attempt on your life, let alone a relative as close to you as your brother. Seeing as how it was 40 years ago, it may be a bit late to do this now, but have you considered letting the law know about this seeing as how there was an attempt to do murder? If anyone around me had plans to shoot me, I'd have to let the police know for my own good. One of the advantages of living on your own, I guess. It's sad to hear about this, really, because it sounds like you did absolutely nothing to harm anyone yet they all seemed to have it in for you. It's extremely unfair how undeserving people get that. I had to put up with similar crap at school, but there were definitely no murder attempts on me.
Yeah, and I never knew about this until around 2003 or 2004 (can't remember the exact year) when my brother and I, we were having an argument on the AOL Instant Message private chat. That is when he finally came out and admitted to me that he tried to come after me with a 12 gauge shot gun when we were living out at Moon Gate back in 1970 or 1971.

When one of our neighbors out there saw my brother come out if his house with one of his guns and grabbed it away from him, I don't know why that neighbor didn't come over to our home and tell my parents that one of their sons tried to steal a gun from his house.

If I had known back then, I would have reported my brother to the police, and filed charges against my own brother, and then, if he had ended up either in jail, or committed to the state mental hospital for a time for evaluations, then he would have known what it was like for me when I had spent three weeks there.

When I had my emotional and mental breakdown back in April 1969, I knew I was having mental issues, so I went there voluntarily, and then after having been beaten and raped I wrote home, and my mother fought like Hell to get me released. They actually could not legally hold me there because I was there voluntarily and was not actually committed.

But if I had filed charges against my brother, he would have been court committed, and would have been there for much longer than three weeks to determine if he should face legal charges and a possible trial. And knowing my brother's attitude, he would have shot off his fucking big mouth and probably got even worse mistreatment than I did.

Also, I wonder if my dear sweet thieving conniving sister would have felt as much ashamed toward him as they had both felt toward me when I had been suspended from school on three different occasions and spent a few weeks in the loony bin.

At any rate, my brother would have gotten a taste of his own bad medicine. He couldn't take it, but he sure liked to dish it out.
Lewis wrote:Fat Man that's so sad. I could not imagine how hard life must have been for you and your mother. It looks like your brother and sister are nothing but greedy, self-obsessed cretins. Maybe you could write a letter to them to air your feelings, maybe that will enable you to get some closure.
Well, my mother never knew about my brother wanting to come after me with a shot gun, because our neighbor kept quiet about it, and our mother passed on back in the summer of 1985, and my brother didn't admit this to me until we had one of our AOL IM chats back in 2003 or 2004.

Yeah, the incident at Moon Gate was about 39 years ago. I don't know if there is a statute of limitations on something like that, seeing as how the gun was taken away from him so that he could not carry out his threat.

I need to do some research on that.

As for my brother and I, we are not on speaking terms anymore. I deleted his phone number from my telephone memory and I deleted his E-mail address from my computer.

My sister is living up in Everett Washington. I don't know her address or how to contact her. I haven't seen her since June of 1985 when she came down for the funeral when our mother passed on. That was the last time I ever saw her.

My brother has seen her a couple of times, and according to him, when we were still speaking, she has a teenage daughter, and our worthless sister is a junkie on hard drugs and had been neglecting her daughter. She's married to a Mormon, and they're both a couple of junkies. She's just like her rotten father, my stepfather. So she's actually my half-sister. My brother and I had the same father who died when I was about 2 years old and my brother was less than a year old.

Of course, my brother got along much better with our stepfather than I did. When our family would go on summer camping trips up in the Lincoln National forest we had a home built camper trailer that my mother and I built together. My mother was never happy unless she had a hammer and saw in her hands, so together, Mom and I build this large home made camper trailer that we named the Chaparral V since there was five people in our family, and I painted the road runner emblems on the sides of our home built trailer. We also had a couple of tents. I would sleep in my own little tent, my mother and sister preferred to sleep in the trailer, and my brother and stepfather would share a larger tent, and my stepfather would tell his old army stories to my brother, so those two got along just fine, while I was much closer to our mother. My brother and stepfather had many long private conversations with each other in which I had no part.

My stepfather was Scotch/Irish and part Indian although he refused to admit to the Indian part.

He was prejudice against blacks and Indians and gays and . . . . . God only knows who else! So living with him was like living with Archie Bunker, only worse! At least Archie Bunker didn't beat up on his wife and daughter.

My brother and I, we are both German, Polish, and Pennsylvanian Dutch English on our mother's side of our family and Canadian French or Chinook on our father's side of the family, and the Chinooks have some Iroquois Indian, so me and my brother, we're actually about 1/5th Iroquois Indian. And the Iroquois were not a single tribe, but rather, the Iroquois Nation was actually a confederacy of 6 different Canadian tribes.

Unlike our stepfather, I'm proud to say that I have some Indian in me!

WOO WOO WOO WOO WOO BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM - BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM!!!
(Beating on my Tom Toms) (With Pride, I might add!!!)

Also, my brother did some research on our ancestry, and it turns out that Sir Francis Beacon is an ancestor or ours. I once did a Google image search on Sir Francis Beacon and he looked a lot like my brother, only my brother's face is thinner, but there is no mistaking the forehead, the eyes, and the nose. My brother could more easily afford to do the research on our ancestry than I could because he has a Hell of a lot more money than I will ever have. And he likes to lord that over me as well.

Anyway . . . . .

My brother and stepfather were much closer and had many private conversations together.

I eventually learned, that our stepfather who was almost 80 years old when he died back in September 23,1971 that he was a cowboy during his teenage years in South Dakota, then he fought in World War One as a tail-gunner in one of those bi-planes they had back then, and a bootlegger during the prohibition, and he once rented an apartment somewhere in Chicago and lived in the same neighborhood as Al Capone's mother, and that he actually knew Al Capone's mother, that she was actually a very nice lady.

Yeah, by brother and stepfather shared many intimate conversations together, and eventually my brother, after several years, would tell me about some of the conversations they had together.

And of course, my absolute favorite was when our stepfather confessed to my brother a couple of months before he died, that when he was stationed in Germany he deliberately killed a security guard, a US security guard, one of our soldiers, by pushing him into the drink and watched as he was swept away by the cold icy river and his body was never recovered.

Now, isn't that sweet!

Just knowing that we had a killer in the house when I was growing up!

Yeah! My brother waited until 2008 to tell me that one!

Now, since I have been feeling rather depressed lately, I felt the need to come clean on these forums.

I have in recent years, been diagnosed by my therapist as having PTSD, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, so I admit that I have some mental illness.

But I believe that my brother is criminally insane.

Else he would not have tried to come after me with a 12 gauge shot gun when we were living out at Moon Gate back in 1970 and 1971.

Well, I'm tired and I need to rest for awhile and have my supper.

I'll get back to you guys later.

PS

Thanks guys for responding!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Earl

Post by Earl »

I almost don't know what to say. There is no denying that you have had a hard life. I wish I could speak words of healing to you; but I don't have that ability, needless to say.

I'm curious as to why you've waited until now to tell us about this. And there are a few details in your story that puzzle me. You say that your stepfather was a World War I veteran and that he was stationed in Germany. I was under the impression that Allied (not to mention U.S.) troops never set foot on German soil in the first world war. After all, the German Kaiser's government fell in a revolution in the last year of the war and was replaced by a democratic government (the Weimar Republic) that sued for peace. You say that your neighbor grabbed his shotgun from your brother, who had just broken into his home for the purpose of stealing the shotgun. Why didn't he tell your mother and stepfather? I certainly would have told them, if not the police also. I would have feared that this teenage boy would pose a threat of potential violence. You also say that your half-sister's husband is a Mormon and a junkie. This sounds quite bizarre. Mormons have extremely high moral standards. How does a Mormon become a junkie? Is he a lapsed Mormon? If he's still a practicing Mormon, why hasn't someone informed his church of his drug addiction?

Referring to the title of your topic, you say that sports destroyed your family life and inspired the hatred of your brother and half-sister. You say that your brother and half-sister hated you because they were ashamed of you for being suspended from school on three different occasions. The cause of your dysfunctional family life was not external; in other words, sports really were not the cause of it. The cause of your painful family life was internal. Your stepfather beat you and your mother because he was an evil man. Sports had nothing to do with that. And sports cannot be blamed for your brother and half-sister treating you like dirt. The reason why they did so was not because of sports, but was because of their own character flaws. If they had been decent persons, they would have felt compassion and been understanding towards you. They would have been sympathetic to you regarding all the dificulties you had been having at school. Sports did not contribute to their moral deficiency. If you had attended a high school that had not had any team sports or mandatory sports-centered P.E., your family would have been just as dysfunctional; and your family life, at least, would still have been lousy. The connection that you have made in your mind between the sports at the schools you attended and your dysfunctional family life does not stand up to logical analysis. In my humble opinion, if you can stop linking school sports with your family's dysfunction, you might actually feel a little better.

I worry about you because you're haunted by your traumatic past. I wish you could put it behind you somehow and move on with the rest of your life. I wish you could look ahead instead of looking back all the time. Of course, many (probably most) of us do look back on our pasts; so, I should see who's talking. The reason I say this is because you will finally be psychologically liberated (at least in my humble opinion) if you are able to look ahead and do something that will truly bring you happiness and relief.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

Good morning Earl, and thanks for your reply.

Well, it was because of sports in school that I had so many problems in school in the first place, and every time I was suspended, it was always related to an incident in the gym during PE class.

My brother and sister were ashamed of me because I was never able to stay in school while they were able to.

It was the problems I had in PE that caused my suspension, which lead to my siblings looking upon me as a three time loser, and then, my being in the mental hospital for a few weeks only added to the shame they felt toward me.

As for my stepfather, all I know is that he was a tail-gunner in a plane flying over Germany during the First World War, but the murder incident in which he drowned a security guard must have taken place in a US Army base somewhere overseas. He had also been in England during his tour of duty.

I don't know all the details, but only what my brother told me back in 2008, the last time we had been on speaking terms.

As for the shotgun incident.

I have no idea why the neighbor who grabbed the shotgun from my brother never informed my parents about it. Yeah, this whole thing really sounds all screwed up!

Again, all I know, is was what my brother had finally admitted to me during an AOL IM private chat back in 2003, was that back in 1970 or 1971 he was pissed off at me and tried to come after me with a shot gun. It was almost like he was bragging about it.

As for my sister who's a junkie married to a Mormon who's also a junkie, well, he's probably an ex-Mormon for all I know, or if he is still a Mormon, then he's a hypocrite and has managed to keep this fact hidden from his congregation. I really don't know all the details, but only what my brother has told me. Yeah! I know it sound weird!

Why I have waited this long before I finally mentioned all this here, well, I don't know why I had kept putting it off until now.

I wish I had mentioned this sooner.

My brother and I had been on and off speaking terms over the years, sometime he would apologize to me, only to find another excuse to get pissed off at me again.

OK, my brother is an alcoholic, and he had been going to AA meetings ever since 1980 and he has managed to stay dry since the early 1980s, but sometimes he would go off on what they refer to in AA as a "dry drunk" where even though sober, they still have the same attitudes that they had while drinking.

Another bomb shell that my brother dropped on me back in 2008 was that when he was living in Minneapolis Minnesota, he was getting ready to move back down to the South West region, either New Mexico or Texas. He was pissed off at another fellow member of AA up in Minnesota, and before he left Minneapolis, he hired a "hit man" and paid him a thousand dollars to beat this guy up and to break his hands. My brother actually bragged about this to me back in 2008. My brother is now living here in El Paso.

My brother is a coward! If I were pissed off at someone, I would confront that person myself, and if we had to duke it out, then so be it. Of course I'm not that good of a fighter and would probably lose, but I would at least have the guts to confront that person myself, instead of paying a "hit man" to work him over.

Therefore my brother is a coward!

So, now I have another reason to be afraid of my brother.

For all I know, he just might get pissed off enough at me to pay somebody a thousand dollars to work me over and perhaps even break my hands!

He has a lot more money than I have. I can't even afford to have a pie thrown in somebody face, yet my brother can afford to pay a thousand dollars to have somebody beaten up and have his hands broken.

I fear I might be next on his list!

Now you know some more reasons why I'm all screwed up in the head!

There are just some wounds or injuries that never heal.

Just like some physical injuries can leave one permanently scared, disfigured, or crippled for life, so too can emotional scars stay with you for life and never heal entirely.

For the rest of my life, I have to live with the knowledge that my own brother tried to come after me with a 12 gauge shotgun back in 1970 or 1971 when we are living out at Moon Gate.

I have to live with that knowledge for the rest of my life.

Yeah! That really sucks! Doesn't it?

greencom

Post by greencom »

Fat Man,
I am at a loss for words, I am very sorry you had to endure this. I do not know why some people are put on this earth, I guess it's to inject torment into our lives. Remember, you have friends here!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

greencom wrote:Fat Man,
I am at a loss for words, I am very sorry you had to endure this. I do not know why some people are put on this earth, I guess it's to inject torment into our lives. Remember, you have friends here!
WELL, HELLO GREENCOM!!!

Where the Hell have you been??? :D :D :D

It's so good to see you again!!!

I really missed seeing you for . . . . . how long has it been?

It must have been about 6 months or so.

Anyway . . .

Welcome back!

And thank you very much!

Yeah, it really hurts knowing that my own brother and half-sister would treat me in such a despicable manner. That is actually more painful than all the bullying from the jocks I had to put up with in school, and from some of the PE coaches.

Hey! At least the jocks didn't try to come after me with a shot gun. Yeah, I got the crap beat out of me, but they never threatened to come at me with a shot gun. My own brother was actually worse than the jocks! The jocks in my school were Saints compared to my own brother and my stepfather!

You know, if I had a thousand dollars that I could blow off at the drop of the hat, I certainly would NOT waste good money paying somebody to beat up on my brother or break his hands for him.

He's not worth it!

If I had that kind of money I would invest that money in my favorite hobbies. I would love to go back to working on my oil paintings again, or go back to building radio controlled flying model airplanes again, as I had once done when I was living in Las Cruces New Mexico.

Why is it, that scum like my brother can have so much money, while every month, toward the last week of the month, I hardly have to nickles to rub together???

While my brother has a lot of money, but he doesn't even have two brain cells to rub together!

Anyway . . . . .

It's good to see you again.

Don't be a stranger now! OK?

Yo all come back now! Ya hear???
Last edited by Fat Man on Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brigan

Post by Brigan »

after reading the First Post, I don't see how sports is relevant in the "destruction" of your Family. there's little to none conection with Sports in this matter.

Sad story. But It's not "How Sports Destroyed my Family Life"
i_like_1981 wrote:I respect a person who uses the knowledge they have of our language to come onto a forum with an opposing view and attempt to have a decent discussion. He's trying his best. Defend your points all you want, Fat Man, but it's unfair to insult his English skills when he's not a native speaker and is trying his hardest to communicate with us.
Earl

Post by Earl »

Welcome back, Brigan. I happen to agree with you. (I assume you read my post above.)
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Earl

Post by Earl »

Fat Man wrote:Good morning Earl, and thanks for your reply.

Well, it was because of sports in school that I had so many problems in school in the first place, and every time I was suspended, it was always related to an incident in the gym during PE class.

My brother and sister were ashamed of me because I was never able to stay in school while they were able to.

It was the problems I had in PE that caused my suspension, which lead to my siblings looking upon me as a three time loser, and then, my being in the mental hospital for a few weeks only added to the shame they felt toward me.
Let me make a comparison. When she went through high school and college, my sister (who is seven years older than I) occasionally would date a school athlete. (Please don't hold this against her! :lol: She doesn't like cliques any more than the rest of us.) She was also academically successful. (The women in my family -- namely, my sister and our mother -- were smart, intellectual women.) Yet she was very concerned about the troubles I had at school and never looked down on me. We've always been close and are still close today. What is the point I'm making? The fact that I'm trying to get across to you is that sports had nothing to do with your brother and half-sister treating you like dirt. I believe that the real reason they were ashamed of you was because you weren't a jerk like them. I wish that you could see that this was the case. Yes, you had trouble at school because of sports; but they really had nothing to do with your dysfunctional family. I wish you could see that your friend Earl is right about this.

I've been thinking about your brother. It just doesn't add up. First of all, your brother's claim about your neighbor ... I would think that any homeowner who caught a teenage punk stealing a shotgun of his would be alarmed or enraged that he had broken into his home and was in the act of stealing personal property that could be put to deadly use. I'd think that any homeowner in that situation would have called the police immediately. I certainly would have done that. Your brother says that your stepfather told him that he had been a tail gunner in World War I. I suspect that the fighter planes used in the first world war were not accomodated to that particular arrangement. I checked the wikipedia article entitled "Tail gunner." There was no mention of tail gunners in the first war. The earliest pictures were of World War II military aircraft. Also, as I pointed out in my first post, in World War I Allied soldiers were never stationed on German soil. Also, I have a problem with a security guard drowning upon being pushed into a river. Somehow I can't see a man not able to swim becoming a security guard. I would think that a security guard would be a man who would be able to take care of himself, if you know what I mean. There's also the question of the presence of anyone else at the scene when this supposedly happened. Would not the absence of the security guard have been investigated by the military authorities? And why did your brother wait all these years to tell you this? Why didn't he tell you this shortly after your stepfather had died?

I could be wrong, but I suspect that your brother has been telling you a pack of lies. It just doesn't add up. Why would he tell you such lies? To get a reaction out of you because, as you've indicated previously, he's a bully. So, I don't think you need to become needlessly anxious about him possibly hiring a hit man to subject you to a vicious beating. The situation that you're in is difficult enough without you becoming apprehensive needlessly over comments your brother has made. As far as I'm concerned, he has a major credibility problem. I would not regret that your brother is not keeping in touch with you. If he does contact you again, I would not confront him about your suspicions, but just take what he says with a grain of salt about the size of a basketball.

I see a pattern here. You, your brother, and your half-sister have ended up with problems of one kind or another in your adult lives. I attribute this fact to your dysfunctional family background with your stepfather being the chief villain. In a sense, all three of you were victims. You should also realize that you are not alone. There are people who have real horror stories about their childhood. I've known several of them.

You truly were at a disadvantage when you were growing up. If you had had the support of a loving father and a loving mother and your siblings had been sympathetic, you would have had a harbor of safety from the bullying at school. But what you need to realize is that sports were not the cause of the misery of your home life. In order to heal emotionally from the abuse you've suffered in your life, you must rid yourself of misconceptions. I hope that you will succeed in doing this someday and that you will grow spiritually, which is something we all must do.

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

Well, one fact remains, sports was one among other contributing factors.

Now, maybe, if I had been able to climb that stupid rope in the gymnasium back in the 4th grade, I would not have been suspended from school.

And if I had not been suspended from school because of another incident in the Gym in a Junior High School at Truth Or Consequences New Mexico, and my suspension from high school in Las Cruces New Mexico, if those three suspensions had not occurred, I probably would not have had an emotional and mental breakdown which lead to my spending three weeks in a mental hospital.

If those incidents had never occurred, my brother and half sister would not have looked down on me as a three-time loser, and being something worse than an ex-convict because of my three week stay at the Ha Ha Hilton!

Then I would have been seen by my siblings as perfectly "normal" just like them.

Now, that's a revolting thought!!!

So, sports was a contributing factor, but probably not the only contributing factor, but is was one of those factors.

Also, if I didn't have a crippled up left knee, if the car accident at the age of 4 had never happened, then I probably might have been in the Army just like my brother and sister.

Oh! And by the way! My brother was a real loser. He was in the Army for 8 years and only achieved the rank of an E4.

My worthless sister was only in the Army 4 years, and she made Staff Sargent! At least that's what she said to have achieved.

Now, if I had been in the Army, I probably would have made Captain or Major and perhaps by now I might have even been a retired Colonel. Also, I might have had my loser of a brother given a section 8 on a nutso discharge!

That's because when he was stationed in Germany, before he got into AA and finally quit drinking, he use to get drunk and get into bar room fights, and one day he put his fist through a plate glass window. Also, he had been in a couple of vehicle accidents over in Germany while driving drunk. So, he was more section 8 material than Corporal Klinger in M*A*S*H!!!

Aw fuck it! I might as well be describing some other parallel universe in an alternate reality.

Instead, I probably might have gotten killed in a combat situation laying down my life for worthless scum-bags like my brother and half-sister.

Yeah! Life's a fucking bitch, and then you die!

No wait! I take that back!

Life's not a bitch, life's a virgin!

A bitch is easy!

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

Whoops!

Hello again Earl.

Your message just came up before I submitted my previous message. So I need to respond.

Yes, this whole thing does sound kind of screwed up!

As for the security guard thing. He might have been knocked unconscious from behind in the dark before being pushed into the drink. Those things do happen.

All I know is what my brother told me.

As for the tail-gunner thing. If it's true that World War One airplanes didn't have tail-gunners, then my stepfather must have been bullshitting us.

As for the shotgun thing. You're right! That doesn't make any sense either. If someone had stolen a gun from me, I would report it missing, because I would not want to have any gun of mine floating around out there somewhere, some place where it might turn up at a crime scene and get traced back to me, so I would report it missing. And if I had caught somebody in the act of stealing a gun from my home, I would call the cops, and I would sit on the fucker until the PO PO came and hauled the son-a-bitch off to the slammer!

I'm just glad I don't own any firearms.

The only "gun" I have is shooting off my big fat mouth when somebody really pisses me off!!!

When my brother mentioned about wanting to blow me away with a shotgun on the AOL IM chat, well, that just goes to show just how hateful he is toward me, bullshit or not, it's quite obvious that he hates my ever-living guts.

But what really gets to me is his reason for wanting to shoot me, was that because of my desire to build a telescope, I was disrupting the family. My conceited brother believed that I didn't deserve to have anything of my own, while our mother worked her butt off for him when he played the trumpet in the high school marching band. I guess to him, marching in the football field during night games was far more important than my wanting to build a telescope, so the Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy believed that I deserved to die!

Hey! He would have made a good 16th Century Inquisitor!

Now, his bragging about paying a "hit man" a thousand dollars to have someone beaten up and his hands broken, that does sound more plausible. He does have a Hell of a lot more money than I have, and he's just coward enough to pay to have someone beaten up rather than confronting the person himself. So, I wouldn't put anything like that past him.

I didn't know that World War One planes didn't have tail-gunners. Thanks for letting me know.

You know, I have always suspected that my stepfather was a bullshit artist.

Maybe my brother is also bullshitting me as well.

Yeah!

GAS-LIGHT!!!

Yeah! As if I'm not nuts enough already without having my own brother gas-lighting me!

You're right.

This whole thing sounds kind of woo woo!!

I need to take some time to think all this over.

recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

Hi. I'm back early from NYC, and I just thought I'd give my reaction to Fat Man's account, and to some of the replies.

ORIGINAL POST
[ http://www.sportssuck.org/phpbb2/viewto ... 480#p20480 ]
Fat Man wrote:OK, everybody.

I have been putting this off for far too long, but now I need to come clean once and for all.
Excellent. Just be prepared. Some people (invaders at this site, and possibly even certain regulars at other sites) may try to tell you that the stuff you are describing did not happen. Don't listen to them!

(Note: obviously, I still think that if someone like Earl asks you valid questions then these require answers, and you seem to agree having done your best to oblige him.)
Fat Man wrote:But what I have never mentioned was that my younger brother and sister disowned me, and were actually ashamed to be seen in public with me after I was suspended from school for three years when I was in the 7th grade.

And I had mentioned quite a few times here about having an emotional and mental breakdown and spending three weeks in a mental hospital.

Well, after that, my own brother and sister treated me like dirt, like I was an ex-convict or something, or even worse.

I believe it. That does not make them bad people necessarily. They could have acted in that way in order to avoid getting teased at school and bullied the same way you were, Fat Man. (Nevertheless, they do sound like jerks.)
Fat Man wrote:Ex-mental-patients are looked down upon with even lower disregard than an ex-convict, even though I had never committed any crimes or broken any laws.
There is some truth to this. Society usually regards criminals as competent people, who, as such, can be held accountable for their actions. The penal system then strives to correct their behaviour. After his release, a criminal is eventually able to live down his past transgressions. On the other hand, someone who has been branded "nuts" or "weird" cannot shed the label unless he does something totally heroic. Now compare the two from the perspective of someone possessed of a certain degree of intelligence, like Fat Man. Imagine what it must be like to face outright condescension from morons with double-digit IQ's because you have been labelled a "weirdo" or a "nut-job." People who are dumber than you get to look down on you. Compared to your unfair life, the prospect of serving a prison sentence and purging all the pain and guilt from your life once and for all probably sounds very inviting (although this would not compel you to actually commit a crime, since then you be labelled both "crazy" and "criminal". Plus, there would be the foreknowledge of how the guilt of committing the crime would torment you until death if you went and did it.)

A man possessed of certain abilities needs to feel society appreciates him for what he is. When society instead treats him like a child, it does him the injustice of not seeing him and appreciating him for what he actually is.
Fat Man wrote:Of course, my mother stood by me, and we became very close through my emotional crises while I was trying to recover from what had happened to me.
Something to be sure to thank God for, since you are a believer! :)
Fat Man wrote:Then, back in 1974, my younger brother joined the Army and a few years later my sister also joined the Army. Naturally I knew the Army wouldn't take me, because when I turned 18 back in September 30,1969, I had to register for the draft, and the Army wouldn't take me for three reasons....Well, I was actually glad that I didn't have to worry about getting drafted.

Ah! But after my dear sweet brother and my dear sweet sister joined the Army, they lorded it over me! They thought they were better than I was because the Army took them, while I was rejected!

They both looked down on me as a total reject, first rejected from school, and now, rejected by Uncle Sam! So they both thought they were better than I was.
Yeah, the disabled aren't cowards. And when they aren't allowed to go to war and risk their lives, they once again feel that they are being treated as children. (At least that's what a few of them have told me.)
Fat Man wrote:Sports ruins people's lives, and I hated having the ugliness of sports imposed on me, and sports destroyed my family life and inspired the hatred my brother and sister had toward me, because they were ashamed of me for being suspended from school on three different occasions.
I am not going to comment here, except to point out that, in my opinion, with apologies to Earl, this justifies the title of the thread. Sports led to trouble at school, which led to suspension, which led to a falling out in Fat Man's family life.

I deleted the rest of the quotation, Fat Man. It was mainly about the nice time you had in New Mexico and the abuse you suffered from siblings. It was nice hearing about the former and pretty rough hearing about the latter. Anyhow, be careful what you say about siblings on the Internet. It would have been enough to tell us that they didn't love you, and then you would not have run the risk that your siblings might come on this site and repudiate the more serious claims you have made.

THE REPLIES FROM LEWIS AND I_LIKE_1981

Thank you, both.

FAT MAN'S FOLLOW-UP TO LEWIS'S REPLY
[ http://www.sportssuck.org/phpbb2/viewto ... 480#p20480 ]
Fat Man wrote:Well, my mother never knew about my brother wanting to come after me with a shot gun, because our neighbor kept quiet about it, and our mother passed on back in the summer of 1985, and my brother didn't admit this to me until we had one of our AOL IM chats back in 2003 or 2004.

Yeah, the incident at Moon Gate was about 39 years ago. I don't know if there is a statute of limitations on something like that, seeing as how the gun was taken away from him so that he could not carry out his threat.

I need to do some research on that.
I suggest not saying things like that about your own family, regardless of the veracity of your claims. No offence, Fat Man, but a court would throw out any charges against your brother. After all, you yourself only heard about the incident from your brother, who could just as easily retract what he told you.

EARL'S REPLY
http://www.sportssuck.org/phpbb2/viewto ... 501#p20501
Earl wrote:I'm curious as to why you've waited until now to tell us about this.
Good question.
Earl wrote:And there are a few details in your story that puzzle me. You say that your stepfather was a World War I veteran and that he was stationed in Germany. I was under the impression that Allied (not to mention U.S.) troops never set foot on German soil in the first world war. After all, the German Kaiser's government fell in a revolution in the last year of the war and was replaced by a democratic government (the Weimar Republic) that sued for peace....You also say that your half-sister's husband is a Mormon and a junkie. This sounds quite bizarre. Mormons have extremely high moral standards. How does a Mormon become a junkie? Is he a lapsed Mormon? If he's still a practicing Mormon, why hasn't someone informed his church of his drug addiction?
Two fair questions, I think.
Earl wrote:If you had attended a high school that had not had any team sports or mandatory sports-centered P.E., your family would have been just as dysfunctional; and your family life, at least, would still have been lousy.
I have to disagree. If sports had not led to Fat Man's suspension, then his brother and sister would not have been under as much pressure at school to reject him.
Earl wrote:I wish you could look ahead instead of looking back all the time. Of course, many (probably most) of us do look back on our pasts; so, I should see who's talking. The reason I say this is because you will finally be psychologically liberated (at least in my humble opinion) if you are able to look ahead and do something that will truly bring you happiness and relief.
I could not agree more.

POST BY FAT MAN, SOMEWHAT LATER
Well, one fact remains, sports was one among other contributing factors.

Now, maybe, if I had been able to climb that stupid rope in the gymnasium back in the 4th grade, I would not have been suspended from school.

And if I had not been suspended from school because of another incident in the Gym in a Junior High School at Truth Or Consequences New Mexico, and my suspension from high school in Las Cruces New Mexico, if those three suspensions had not occurred, I probably would not have had an emotional and mental breakdown which lead to my spending three weeks in a mental hospital.

If those incidents had never occurred, my brother and half sister would not have looked down on me as a three-time loser, and being something worse than an ex-convict because of my three week stay at the Ha Ha Hilton!

Then I would have been seen by my siblings as perfectly "normal" just like them.

Now, that's a revolting thought!!!

So, sports was a contributing factor, but probably not the only contributing factor, but is was one of those factors.
Exactly. It was one contributing factor among many. Of course, there is probably a lot of truth to what Earl says as well. Things might still have gone very badly even without the impact of sports. It would probably be healthy not to blame "sports" for all that went wrong. But I do see why you called the thread what you called it.

Best Regards to Everyone,
recovering_fan
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

One more thing, Fat Man. I forgot to tell you how all of your posts made me feel. On the one hand, I felt miserable for you. However, you and I have a lot in common, and it was refreshing to hear that there was someone out there like me--suffering from the same neglect. My family have never abused me, but because of my early emotional problems, they have always condescended to me, my little sister notwithstanding. It never mattered how many book awards I won; there was always that coldness, indifference, and ambivalence. Whenever I was hurting, I received orders on how to heal like the kind you might get from a Mac genius when your computer is broken. Where were sympathy and affection? It wasn't until my mid-20s that I finally met someone I trusted, a female therapist. She became something of a second mother to me, and for the first time I understood how important it was to know that someone cared.

--RF