Same as My Name

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Re: Same as My Name

Post by Fat Man »

Brigan please re-read my previous post.

I have done some more editing on it.

OK?
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Brigan

Post by Brigan »

Fat Man wrote:Brigan please re-read my previous post.

OK?
Re-read mine.
i_like_1981 wrote:I respect a person who uses the knowledge they have of our language to come onto a forum with an opposing view and attempt to have a decent discussion. He's trying his best. Defend your points all you want, Fat Man, but it's unfair to insult his English skills when he's not a native speaker and is trying his hardest to communicate with us.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Brigan wrote:

OK?
Re-read mine.
I have!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Brigan

Post by Brigan »

Fat Man wrote: Sports has inspired acts of terrorism, just like some religions.

Chess, classical music, art, and science has not inspired such bullying! Why is that?

It's because these things appeal to our humanity.

Sports appeals to the primitive within us. Sports appeals to our animal instincts.

No, sports is no longer just games anymore.

Sports has because a dangerous religious cult.
Sorry but this is just silly, to get to the Terrorism Level it's a bit exagerated.

If you refer to primitive within us, you refer to the use of Violence, which in most cases it's what makes us Human turn into animals, Yet you just used Verbal Violence to a new Member, Now that's primitive. I think an apology is in order, Now that's human.
i_like_1981 wrote:I respect a person who uses the knowledge they have of our language to come onto a forum with an opposing view and attempt to have a decent discussion. He's trying his best. Defend your points all you want, Fat Man, but it's unfair to insult his English skills when he's not a native speaker and is trying his hardest to communicate with us.
Earl

Post by Earl »

Thank you. Your compliment means a lot to me.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Brigan

Post by Brigan »

Fat Man wrote:
Brigan wrote:

OK?
Re-read mine.
I have!
No, I asked you something. I'm yet to see it answered.

Edit: It's almost 12:14 am for me. I have to get up in about 4 hours... I'll continue this moral debate after I get back from Law school, I hope the rest of you have a Good night.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

Brigan wrote:I can certainly tell you not even Fatman is a judge, he's more like The Inquisitors of the Church.
Oh, you're good!

Sports is also like an Inquisition.

When I went to school, back in the 1960s, if you didn't like sports, your masculinity was questioned. Your patriotism was questioned.

People who didn't like sports were automatically judged to pinkos, Commies, queers, and faggots.

Yeah! That sounds like an Inquisition to me!

Brigan

Post by Brigan »

Fat Man wrote:
Brigan wrote:I can certainly tell you not even Fatman is a judge, he's more like The Inquisitors of the Church.
Oh, you're good!

When I went to school, back in the 1960s, if you didn't like sports, your masculinity was questioned. Your patriotism was questioned.

People who didn't like sports were automatically judged to pinkos, Commies, queers, and faggots.

And you're doing exactly the same thing.

Now I'm off to bed.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

Brigan wrote:
Fat Man wrote:
Oh, you're good!

And you're doing exactly the same thing.

Now I'm off to bed.
Well, this reply will be waiting for you when you get up again.

No, I'm not doing exactly the same.

I have been beaten and violently assault because of sports.

So, that makes them criminals!

When people commit violent crimes against another human being, I call them criminals.

I'm not merely passing judgment, I'm only stating a fact.

If you steal from me, you're a thief.

If you beat and assault me, you're a thug!

The fact is, many (not all) but many sports fans and jocks have committed violent crimes, and when I call them out on it, I'm not merely passing judgment, or being an Inquisitor.

I'm merely stating facts!

It's just too damn bad that many jocks get away with their crimes, getting off with a mere slap on the wrist, and many times, not even that!

That's because our courts, our judges, and prosecutors are too fucking chicken shit to prosecute crimes committed by jocks!

So, somebody has to call them out on their bullshit.

And I'm calling you out on your bullshit!

recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

i_like_1981 wrote:Why is it considered so abnormal nowadays to not be interested in sports? I mean it, I've often had funny looks in my office and been left out of conversations for being vocal in my disinterest for sports. I just say that "I'm not bothered" and often, I am left aside....They are just a recreational activity and interest for some people. That is what they should be.
That is a good question, because it hasn't always been this way. I bet if you thumbed through various old novels you would find guys who were into a variety of different hobbies. Back in the old days, no one sat around just passively watching sports, and not every member of the British upper classes went out on fox hunts, I'm sure. I think it was more normal for guys to be into music and dacing as aerobic exercise in those days.
i_like_1981 wrote: ...a lot of people consider them to be a social obligation which you have to like to be accepted by the majority. Who died and made sports God?
I wonder whether it has anything to do with religion, or whether rooting on one's team has replaced patriotism. I have heard many refer to sports as "a moral equivalent of war", and a corollary of that may be that not caring about the latest football results has replaced pacifism as a mark of effeminacy in our culture.
ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

That is a good question, because it hasn't always been this way. I bet if you thumbed through various old novels you would find guys who were into a variety of different hobbies. Back in the old days, no one sat around just passively watching sports, and not every member of the British upper classes went out on fox hunts, I'm sure. I think it was more normal for guys to be into music and dacing as aerobic exercise in those days.
RF, you've hit on something that's been sort of an epiphany for me recently -- watching sports is one of the most passive activities there is. Think about it: nowadays every game broadcast has a little box or banner on the screen telling you the score, the time remaining, what down it is, what the ball-strike count is, etc. No need to exert any mental energy to keep track of these things on your own. Heck, you don't even have to form an opinion on what's happening -- the announcers are right there to tell you what a good or bad play or coaching decision you just saw!

I wonder whether it has anything to do with religion, or whether rooting on one's team has replaced patriotism. I have heard many refer to sports as "a moral equivalent of war", and a corollary of that may be that not caring about the latest football results has replaced pacifism as a mark of effeminacy in our culture.
It's ironic that sports would be be considered "patriotic", seeing as they create artificial animosity between groups of people from different cities, states, or even neighborhoods in the case of some school sports. Of course, the fans will tell you "it's all in good fun, blah blah blah", but it still seems like people use up a lot of mental and emotional energy hating on some team of people they've never met. Sports, it seems, divides people more than it brings them together.
Brigan

Post by Brigan »

Fat Man wrote: And I'm calling you out on your bullshit!
What's my bullshit again? Quote me.

also

Don't derail on the issue Fatman, Idunno has done nothing So I don't see why others people's action are related to him.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Welcome back to the forum, Brigan. I'm rather surprised you chose to come back. Nonetheless, there's not much I can say on this argument that I didn't say months back during your previous exchange with Fat Man, though I do have to have some respect for your willingness to stick to your points. I don't think you talk a load of bullshit.
recovering_fan wrote:That is a good question, because it hasn't always been this way. I bet if you thumbed through various old novels you would find guys who were into a variety of different hobbies.
Well, it's been this way for as long as I can remember, and certainly longer than I've been alive. I once watched a film adaptation of The Great Gatsby, which was originally written in the mid-1920s, and one line I could remember is when an older bloke gets up from a table to leave and says something like "You young people have got your sports to talk about..." - there was definitely a mention of sports in there somewhere. I know for a fact that soccer has been a popular pastime here in Britain since the late 19th century. So sports have been popular for a long time. And to think that idiot JIM said that all they did back in the old times was "read boring books" and play games like "kick a can". He's even more sports-ignorant than I am, and THAT'S saying something!

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Brigan

Post by Brigan »

ChrisOH wrote:RF, you've hit on something that's been sort of an epiphany for me recently -- watching sports is one of the most passive activities there is. Think about it: nowadays every game broadcast has a little box or banner on the screen telling you the score, the time remaining, what down it is, what the ball-strike count is, etc. No need to exert any mental energy to keep track of these things on your own. Heck, you don't even have to form an opinion on what's happening -- the announcers are right there to tell you what a good or bad play or coaching decision you just saw!
I think that depends on who watches which games, I can say Golf is pretty much boring :l, but hey that's me, I hope my team scores when I watch a soccer game, If there's a soccer game that has nothing to do with my team. I simply don't watch it.
ChrisOH wrote:It's ironic that sports would be be considered "patriotic", seeing as they create artificial animosity between groups of people from different cities, states, or even neighborhoods in the case of some school sports. Of course, the fans will tell you "it's all in good fun, blah blah blah", but it still seems like people use up a lot of mental and emotional energy hating on some team of people they've never met. Sports, it seems, divides people more than it brings them together.
anything can have groups depending on where they come from, not only sports. and like in every competition there's rivalry. but Sportfans/Sportsmans globalize a large group of people. It's safe to say it's bigger than anything else, Sadly that could be why it holds more of those Barbaric fans out there.

I don't consider Sports to be patriotic, I even root for a foreign Country.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

Brigan wrote:
Fat Man wrote: And I'm calling you out on your bullshit!
What's my bullshit again? Quote me.

also

Don't derail on the issue Fatman, Idunno has done nothing So I don't see why others people's action are related to him.
OK, I'm just going to say this . . . . .

I HATE ALL SPORTS, ESPECIALLY FOOTBALL.

I WISH ALL THE JOCKS, SPORTS FANS, AND ALL THE MORONS AROUND THE WORLD WITH SINGLE DIGIT IQs WOULD JUST QUIETLY DIE IN THEIR SLEEP TONIGHT.

OK???

So, quit trying to convert me over to your point if view.

I resent sports missionaries trying to convert me. Especially the ones who are polite!

I actually find the polite sports fans more sickening that the rude obnoxious sports bores.