Two threads you may be interested in seeing.

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Re: Two threads you may be interested in seeing.

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

Agent 47 wrote:And so when the reality hit me that a comment about bullying could cause such a reaction in you, HugeFanOf, I was shocked for a while, as I contemplated what unspeakable horrors you must have endured, at the hands of your bullies, to cause such a reaction.

I don't know what to say.

Perhaps you have a bit of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and that might be something that a professional counselor could help you with to nip in the bud now, before it gets too ingrained?
Well, I intend on responding to the other posts in this thread when I feel like it, however, I'm going to respond to your post, Agent 47, simply because you just proved yourself to be a dick in my book, so I wish to respond to your holy dickishness, Almighty Douchebag.

So you think I have a psychological disorder simply because I was bothered by a comment that could be offensive to bullying victims? Yes, I experienced a lot of bullying through middle school and in my first year of high school, so yes, I did have a personal reason to find Fat Man's statement offensive. Does that mean I lose sleep over what happened to me a few years ago? No, it doesn't. That doesn't mean I've forgotten that I experienced it though. And under no circumstance would I ever justify any of my actions, regardless of whether or not my actions actually were bullying, through the belief that it is my turn to be the bully.

I find it funny that after you realize that you were mistaken about a significant part of the entire controversy, the only thing left of your argument is to suggest that I seek professional help. A suggestion that is poorly founded, as demonstrated. Now I wouldn't be surprised if you'd pull the card of "I was only trying to help you with any problems you had", being the bullshiter that you are. So before you even respond with that, I'm going to say that you certainly were trying to scramble together an argument with nothing good to respond with, so that was all you had left, to suggest that I had a psychological problem. So why don't you go fuck yourself?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go see a psychologist because some pathetic immature piece of shit [geography based insults removed] suggested that I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, something I was quite certain I didn't have until Agent Shithead pointed that out to me. Thank you so much for the advice! (Oh no, I've gone down the route of ad hominem, what ever shall I do?)
Last edited by HugeFanOfBadReligion on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
Earl

Post by Earl »

Do you know what I find to be interesting? Although the forum of this website has only a few members (compared to large forums such as those of able2know.org and democraticunderground.com), we seem to have a lot more personal drama (which makes it more interesting).

HugeFan, I think Agent 47 meant well. Granted, I only have words on a computer screen to go by; and facial expression, tone of voice, and body posture are not available. I could be wrong, but he may not have intended to mock or insult you. Just a thought. I don't know for sure, but I believe he meant well. We should remember what unites us more than what might divide us. HugeFan, I do appreciate you for standing by your convictions. I agree completely with you that there's no excuse for bullying, not even by someone who once was bullied himself. But perhaps there's a misunderstanding here. I'm reminded of a comment that Andy once made in his first post in this forum: If we all met in person, we'd probably get along with each other.

Speaking as a moderator, Agent 47 and HugeFan, this forum needs both of you. You both make intelligent comments. So, please don't either of you leave us. You would be sorely missed.

By the way, assuming you both know, Fat Man has been diagnosed with PTSD. A bit late in his life, though. :(

Agent 47 wrote:P.S. - 200 POSTS IN 3.35 YEARS! Currently on track for my 1,000th post in 2024!
I hope I'm still around in 2024 to celebrate your 1,000th post, Agent 47. I would be 74 years old.
DiscoBanana.gif
I really like that dancing banana. It's even more amusing than the spam cats. :mrgreen: I'm reminded of "Disco Duck," an absolutely terrible novelty song that came out in 1976 in the United States. (You have been forewarned. :twisted: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiG-VpTT3UE
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
HugeFanOfBadReligion

I don't see any sincerity in Agent 47's response. If he seriously meant well, he's really bad at helping people out, seeing as he made the assumption that I have a psychological disability based on the fact that I disliked a comment that I felt was offensive to victims of bullying.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

[This post has been re-edited - more stuff added]

Good evening everybody:

OK, first of all, I don't think that HugeFanOfBadReligion has any kind of "psychological disorder" just simply because he was offended by some stupid comment I made about it being "my turn to be the bully" which I had said in regard to another member of these forums OMGdudeWhat who is an obvious sports bore.

As I had mentioned before a few times in these forums, and as Earl had also mention in his recent post above, I have recently been diagnosed with PTSD, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and I have also mentioned so many times before, that back when I was 17 years old, I spent a few weeks in a state mental hospital where the patients were beaten by the ward attendants, where I was also beaten a couple of times, and then one night, I was raped by an older man.

So, I'm the resident nut-case here! OK?

Now, I have taken some heat on these forums for the photo-shop job I had done on the avatar of OMGdudeWhat, but I still say, that is nothing compared to what happened to me about a year ago when I was on the receiving end of some cyber-bullying which almost brought me to financial ruin, and along with receiving harassing phone calls in the middle of the night, I nearly had another emotional and mental breakdown.

The reason why I'm so pissed off at OMGdudeWhat is because of what he said on page 17 in the Introductions topic.
http://www.sportssuck.org/phpbb2/viewto ... &start=240

First, I had said the following . . .
Fat Man wrote:When I was in the 5th grade, as I had mentioned so many times before in these forums, my 5th grade teacher who was really Gung Ho when it came to sports liked to humiliate me in front of the other students in the gym during PE class. We were playing basketball, and I dropped the ball during the game, and he picked up the ball and punched me in the stomach as hard as he could. I was doubled over in pain, and it seemed like an eternity before I could catch my breath again.

Then one day we went to the library, and while all the other students were allowed to check out any book they wanted, I was not! I saw this Astronomy book that I wanted to check out and he would not allow me to have it. We got into an argument. He then dragged me out into the hallway and pushed me back against the wall, bashing my head against the corner of the concrete block wall. I got really dizzy and nearly blacked out.

The following year, the teacher was fired and could not get a teaching job anywhere else, but the damage was already done. For years afterward I would have headaches and dizzy spells which gradually became less intense during my teenage years.

And after that, OMGdudeWhat had said . . .
[b][color=#FF00FF]OMGdudeWhat[/color][/b] wrote: . . . overall you seem pretty hung up on stupid shit like getting made fun of in the 5th grade, learn to live on? everyone is the center of a joke once in a while
I was not merely made fun of or merely the center of a joke!

No, I had a concision when my head was bashed against the brick wall. I could very easily have died from it. Yet OMDdudeWhat said I was only being made fun of and that I was the center of a joke!

Yeah! Real funny joke!

I guess, getting my head bashed against the wall was the punch line!

Oh gee! How come I'm not laughing?

And then, in another topic, when I had mentioned about my experiences in school, and about my having an emotional and mental breakdown which was the result of the bullying and harassment I had received, some other moron said that I was upset over nothing!

NOTHING???

Like getting my head bashed against a brick wall when I was in the 5th grade, and getting beaten and raped by an older man when I was 17 years old, that was called . . . NOTHING???

OK, right now, I can't remember which topic it was or the user name I was responding to, but I remember using some red text in my response to the idiot.

I've been searching for the topic and my post, so it's going to take a while to find it since I can't remember which topic it was or the user name to which I was responding.

Much has transpired on these forums since then.

So, as far as these obnoxious sports bores are concerned, all my past experiences is as NOTHING or merely a joke!

YEAH RIGHT!!!

OK, yeah, I guess it was a bad choice of words on my part when I said that it was now my turn to be the bully.

Well, I'm sorry, but I think it's high time that all these obnoxious sports fans and the jocks got a taste of their own bad medicine.

I mean, like, seriously!!!

In our schools, and even on some college campuses, the administrators won't do a damn thing about the bullying of the other students by the jocks.

Also, in so many cases, when some athlete has committed rape or some other violent assault, and when it does result in a court trial, all too often, they guy gets off with a mere slap on the wrist, or is not convicted at all, because the jury is often stacked with sports fans, or the judge is too fucking chicken shit to impose a more harsh sentence.

Sometimes, charges are even dropped because the witnesses and the plaintiff and family members are harassed and intimidated into dropping charges, which is an obstruction of justice.

And when a case does go to trial, afterwords, the family of the victim who filed the charges, are harassed to the point where they have to leave town and abandon their property.

These things have happened.

And these things are going to continue to happen, until enough people get so damn sick and tired of it, that they'll feel compelled to take matters into their own hands.

Maybe, if some jocks got thrown through plate glass windows or down flights of stairs, or had their fingers broken with locker doors slammed on them, or got their knee caps busted, or something, then maybe, just maybe, that might help to put an end to their bullying.

Yes, I do believe in payback!

What goes around, comes around!

Yeah! Karma's a bitch!!!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

I still agree with Agent 47 that the pictures of OMGDudeWhat didn't warrant all the uproar they caused, given some of the other statements I've seen made on this website which would endanger new site memberships far more than some doctored, daft pictures. But when it comes to this new argument, it is true that Agent 47 drew blood first and HugeFanOfBadReligion's response is quite justified. This quote, I believe, could be interpreted as the initiation of an argument:
Agent 47 wrote:Well, seeing that you've brought it up here now, to be perfectly honest, I find some of your longer posts to be quite rambling and tedious to read, , and I often scroll right through them, so yeah I may have missed something.
I personally would be pretty pissed off if somebody told me that my long posts, which are usually the ones which people put most effort, thought and even research into, were just boring and rambling and all they did whenever they saw them is scroll through them. This is the sort of argument that 4channers would make to spite their opponents, but I would expect more from a rather intelligent and loyal member of this website as Agent 47. I admit that some of my posts may be considered tedious by others, but I would very much resent it if someone actually tried to use it as a way of discrediting me. And the accusation of HugeFanOfBadReligion having PTSD is absolutely ridiculous. It is foolish to start throwing round such unjustified accusations at others without understanding the seriousness of what you are saying. I don't think anyone in this board would be qualified to diagnose a certain member of having a particular disorder by their posts alone, and to use it as a way of discrediting another member when they disagree with you is pretty foolish and unjustified. So, unlike the OMGDudeWhat issue, I am with HugeFanOfBadReligion on this one. But there really wasn't any need to insult Agent 47's country in your response to him, HugeFan. We don't need this argument to get any worse...

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
HugeFanOfBadReligion

i_like_1981 wrote:But there really wasn't any need to insult Agent 47's country in your response to him, HugeFan. We don't need this argument to get any worse...
Thank you for understanding my position in this new argument, 1981, I appreciate this. And you are correct, I should not have insulted his country and should have kept that part to myself. I realized that I shouldn't have included that in my argument even before I hit the "Submit" button, but I was bothered by Agent 47's post so I didn't let that stop me. I will edit that out of my post in a moment.

Agent 47

Post by Agent 47 »

Cheers Earl, and I hope you are around in 2024 as well. I wonder if Mr. Banana will still be dancing then?!! (He's doing the Banana Split, you know!).

1981 - I wasn't insulting long posts in general, it's just that I don't have a hell of a lot of time to spare to get online, and so I have to draw the line somewhere at what I read. It's just a fact of reality that there's only so many hours in a day. I never would have mentioned it at all, but he raised that I'd missed something, and so I just gave him the absolute honest answer. That's all. Don't worry, 1981 - I try to read as many as I can!

HugeFagOfBadReligion wrote: I find it funny that after you realize that you were mistaken about a significant part of the entire controversy, the only thing left of your argument is to suggest that I seek professional help

you certainly were trying to scramble together an argument with nothing good to respond with, so that was all you had left
Well, no, actually. The fundamental situation hasn't changed, it just has an additional dimension to it now. So it's all good.

So now look here HugeFagOfBadReligion you ungrateful little shit, it's not that you simply disliked that comment, it was the degree of your hyper-sensitivity over what most people would regard as essentially just a throw-away line. That seemed to have hit a raw nerve with you that it wouldn't have for most people, and so that's an indicator that there could be something more there that you might want to look into one day.

Or maybe that's just your normal level of whingeing, whining and complaining then, is it? You complain about pictures, you complain about text, and so what are you going to campaign to get banned next - smilies you don't approve of?

And what's with all that flaming you did there? You like to impose your impossibly high moral standards onto everybody else, but gee, all that "defamation," and "an eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind" bullshit goes straight out the door pretty quickly when it suits you, doesn't it, Gandhi. I've been suspecting you of having double standards, and so there it is. Well, well, well. It just goes to show what a load of garbage all that is that you spew.

I started out thinking that you were just a whiney little shit when you were complaining about those images, but I actually had a moment the other day where I genuinely felt sorry for you. I thought holy hell, this guy is the real deal with a serious on-going issue.

But after all that crap that you've just spewed, I think I got it right the first time - you're just a garden variety whiney little shit.

You can shove it up your arse.

But you'll need to take your head out of there first to make some room.
"We can’t find a healthy brain in an ex-football player."

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2873539.htm
HugeFanOfBadReligion

You really shouldn't have changed your username, you're still filthy from your boyfriend's dick.
Agent 47 wrote:So now look here HugeFagOfBadReligion you ungrateful little shit
Oh, you gave so much to me! I should really have been grateful for your holy dickishness.
it's not that you simply disliked that comment, it was the degree of your hyper-sensitivity over what most people would regard as essentially just a throw-away line. That seemed to have hit a raw nerve with you that it wouldn't have for most people, and so that's an indicator that there could be something more there that you might want to look into one day.
First of all, you seem to be fairly angered by this situation. Don't deny it, "you ungrateful little shit", it's easy to tell. That's an indicator that there could be something more that you might want to look into one day. I'd hate to see your reaction before I removed part of my post that would have been more personal to you. Second of all, it didn't strike a raw nerve with me. I wasn't quivering in my seat when I saw Fat Man's comment on it being his turn to be bullied by it. I believed it was wrong for him to say that, because as a person that is against bullying, I felt the need to disagree with Fat Man because I simply don't think anyone has the right to ever be a bully. That doesn't seem to be hyper-sensitivity to me, just a moral issue with a statement. And again, you're fucking retarded if you believe that you can be a psychologist over the Internet on a text-based forum and give diagnoses based on a couple of posts. Facepalm.
Or maybe that's just your normal level of whingeing, whining and complaining then, is it? You complain about pictures, you complain about text, and so what are you going to campaign to get banned next - smilies you don't approve of?
Text on a forum can hardly bother me, however, I will speak out against that text if I disagree with it, which is what I did. I didn't ask Fat Man to delete that statement, but I made it clear that I disagreed with it. That's what you're doing right now, you disagree with my posts so you respond to it on a forum. Thus you complain about text just as much as I do.
And what's with all that flaming you did there? You like to impose your impossibly high moral standards onto everybody else, but gee, all that "defamation," and "an eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind" bullshit goes straight out the door pretty quickly when it suits you, doesn't it, Gandhi. I've been suspecting you of having double standards, and so there it is. Well, well, well. It just goes to show what a load of garbage all that is that you spew.
I hardly have anything against flaming. I don't like flaming, but I don't see much of a problem with it when used in response to flaming. You'd have to be fairly weak to take personal offense from a text based insult, thus there's not much wrong with simple flaming. There's no image to connect you to the Dicktaker 47 that you are in real life, so there's no defamation there. No double standards there.
I started out thinking that you were just a whiney little shit when you were complaining about those images, but I actually had a moment the other day in my real life, where I genuinely felt sorry for you. I thought holy hell, this guy is the real deal with a serious on-going issue.
Yes, a serious ongoing issue. You've already made it clear that you think you can see into what a person really is through a block of text on a forum. So of course your observation of a "serious on-going issue" is completely valid.

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Agent 47 wrote:1981 - I wasn't insulting long posts in general, it's just that I don't have a hell of a lot of time to spare to get online, and so I have to draw the line somewhere at what I read. It's just a fact of reality that there's only so many hours in a day. I never would have mentioned it at all, but he raised that I'd missed something, and so I just gave him the absolute honest answer. That's all. Don't worry, 1981 - I try to read as many as I can!
I understand that other people on this forum may be too busy in life to read through every single long post that gets posted on here; myself not included. That is fine, and you are not obliged to read through every single sizable post that is posted on here. That being said, branding the posts of another user as "rambling" and "tedious" is a sure-fire way of initiating a comment war and if that user is particularly sensitive, they may decide to leave the website and not return. Of course, HugeFanOfBadReligion isn't exactly what I'd call sensitive. And trying to diagnose him as having PTSD just because of a slightly emotional response to another topic on the forum is... a bit excessive, and I can see how he interpreted it as being an insult. Medical diagnoses should not just be thrown around lightly. I do agree with you that there was a slight overreaction on the part of certain members of this board to the OMGDudeWhat pictures but when it comes to this argument, I'm swaying more over towards HugeFanOfBadReligion's side. Maybe you were serious in your concerns about HugeFanOfBadReligion earlier in the thread but trying to diagnose him as having PTSD was not the best way to go about it.
HugeFanOfBadReligion on numerous occasions during the last page of this thread wrote:Tuesday, February 11, 2011
February 11 was a Friday this year.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

HugeFanOfBadReligion

i_like_1981 wrote:
HugeFanOfBadReligion on numerous occasions during the last page of this thread wrote:Tuesday, February 11, 2011
February 11 was a Friday this year.
Whoops, that was meant to be an 8. Not sure how I made that mistake, but what I meant to say is that it was on Tuesday, February 8.

Earl

Post by Earl »

i_like_1981 wrote:I admit that some of my posts may be considered tedious by others, but I would very much resent it if someone actually tried to use it as a way of discrediting me.
Hi, i_like_1981. I've never found any of your posts to be tedious. To the contrary, I always enjoy reading them; and as I've said before, Mrs. Earl (who is legally blind) always wants me to read your posts out loud to her.

Agent 47 wrote:Cheers Earl, and I hope you are around in 2024 as well. I wonder if Mr. Banana will still be dancing then?!! (He's doing the Banana Split, you know!).
Hi, Agent 47. Thank you. Perhaps all the exercising and the medication will pay off. I should have known that your new personage was doing the banana split. :mrgreen:

HugeFagOfBadReligion wrote:I wasn't quivering in my seat when I saw Fat Man's comment on it being his turn to be bullied by it. I believed it was wrong for him to say that, because as a person that is against bullying, I felt the need to disagree with Fat Man because I simply don't think anyone has the right to ever be a bully. That doesn't seem to be hyper-sensitivity to me, just a moral issue with a statement.
I'm in complete agreement with your moral stand, HugeFan. Some bullied kids fail to learn that bullying is always wrong, and become bullies themselves.

There once was a young German boy who was lousy at sports and was considered to be effeminate. Although I have not read a great deal about him, I have no doubt that he was bullied. He certainly turned out to be a bully himself. In fact, he would turn out to be far, far worse than your garden variety bully (to put it mildly). He was a young man old enough to serve in his country's army when the Great War started in Serbia. This young man, who had surely been bullied when he was a boy, had become bloodthirsty. He resolved that if Germany did not declare war, then he would serve in the army of another country so he would be able to take the lives of other human beings. Years later when his homeland had succumbed to totalitarianism, he became the chief of a sinister organization that eventually carried out campaigns of mass murder. Of course, I'm referring to Heinrich Himmler -- the chief of the Nazi SS, which carried out the "final solution to the Jewish problem" and also exterminated other individuals who had had the misfortune of belonging to other groups of "undesirables." (Himmler had an older brother who was quite athletic. I read somewhere that as the chief of the SS, he made his brother's life miserable, although I would have to check up on this claim to be sure that it actually was true.)

Agent 47 and HugeFan, I understand your hard feelings. As recovering_fan would attest, I've carried grudges against two members of another website's forum, even though I've never met either of them in person. So, I know how both of you feel.

To his credit HugeFan has admitted that he lost his temper. Who hasn't lost his temper one time or another online? I certainly have, even though I'm not short-tempered in real life. :oops:

As I've said before in other posts in different contexts, IMHO, board messaging is not the best way to communicate with someone. I believe that one of the unfortunate characteristics of posting in a website's forum is that minor differences of opinion are magnified, and I also believe that that is what has happened here. HugeFan and Agent 47, I'm sure that if the two of you were speaking to each other personally in real life, you wouldn't be having this unfortunate exchange now. I think the two of you have more in common than you realize at this moment. In the first place, think of why both of you are posting in this particular forum. See what I mean?

And the truth is that both of you are needed in this forum and are appreciated by yours truly. So, if you can, please try to put the bitterness aside. Believe me, I do know how you feel.

As the hippies in the United States during the late 1960s (who, nevertheless, were still wrong about most of what they stood for) would say, "Peace, brother." :roll: :wink:

P.S. I've noticed that najib_daho, as one of the two personages originally introduced as one of the twin subjects of this thread, has not had much said about him. I wonder if I should personally invite him to return to our forum ... :twisted:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Yes, it's amazing how much of this thread has been dominated by Andy and so little has related to najib_daho and the boxing forum, despite the fact that I did initially give equal attention to both of them in my opening post. Now that we've got HugeFanOfBadReligion and Agent 47 duking it out, I almost completely forgot about the link to the boxing forum I included in my opening post. Well, I'm going to be honest here - the Andy issue is tired out. We proved that he was two-faced, he came on here and attempted to apologise, some took his apology as sincere, others didn't, and that is all. The latest thing that is bothering me is that idiotic comment by that sg1985 guy over on the boxing forum who said "Sports were the only thing worth going to school for." YEAH FUCKING RIGHT! School, as far as I'm concerned, is about learning and getting good qualifications that will help you gain employment or possibly university entry and NOT about playing ball games that really should just be kept to people's free time outside of school. I wonder what this guy's grades were like? I am considering signing up to that forum and giving that guy a piece of my mind, because for somebody who appears to be 25/26, based on his username, he seems to have a really immature and inaccurate view of what school is about! As far as I'm concerned, sports are the only thing that have no worth at all in an academic environment and I'm sure there are a fair few people here who agree with me there. Well, I know I'm not the first one to point that post out, but it still bothers me quite a lot because of how stupid and ignorant it is. I do wonder what exactly this guy is doing right now and how far he had his head up his anal cavity back in what I presume to be his old "jock glory days". That comment was absolutely pathetic. Well, just my opinion as to who becomes the new focus of this thread. You all carry on as you please.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Edit: Oh! I just checked over at the boxing forum now, and that dimwit sg1985 has changed his name to The Dark Destroyer. I'm surprised he was able to spell it, really, given how much more important sports were to him at school than anything else.

Earl

Post by Earl »

I know that i_like_1981 has said the Andy issue is tired out, but I still feel compelled to make what I assume will be some final comments on my part in this thread concerning him. When Andy left his first message in the Guestbook, he left his e-mail address, which I used to begin corresponding with him. As I've indicated previously, I went to the trouble of checking out his story by making Google searches and visiting listed websites to verify what he said about himself; and as a result of comments he's made in e-mails to me, I'm convinced that he is genuine and sincere. In other words, I feel I'm in a position to vouch for his character. So, I feel entitled to say that he is a far cry from the negative "jock" stereotype.

I had no problem with i_like_1981 pointing out the Tech N9ne webpage. It certainly was relevant and interesting. But the uproar it caused was, in my opinion, a proverbial tempest in a teapot. Concerning Andy's anger on that occasion, I know how he felt. I know how anyone feels who has been negatively stereotyped, because I was negatively stereotyped myself as a nonathletic boy. No one cares to have negative traits ascribed to him simply because he happens to fall into a certain category of people. Even on the Tech N9ne webpage, Andy was saying in so many words what he had said in his first Guestbook message; namely, that he was not offended by any of us not liking sports. He just didn't want to be stereotyped instead of being treated as an individual. And as I've just said, I can relate to that quite easily.

As far as Andy losing his temper on that occasion, my reaction is "So what?" Speaking for myself, ever since I started posting comments at websites in the early spring of 2009 (beginning with this one, of course), I have splashed angry comments all over the Internet. If I could, I would either edit or delete most of these comments because they were written in anger and without much, if any, forethought. Some of them might disturb even a few members here. As we all know too well, board messaging removes inhibitions. The second website where I posted for the first time was able2know in a thread that one of their members had started about our website entitled "Welcome, Sports Haters." Using the username wmwcjr, I came on with a completely combative tone and missed the opportunity to make a convincing argument for the reform of mandatory P.E. and possibly even serve as a peacemaker between Chumly (the A2K member who wrote the OP and defended his position in a few more posts) and kuvasz and cycloptichorn, who were attacking him in a personally demeaning way. Later in the thread when cycloptichorn came back and personally attacked several of us who were discussing why we were not sports fans, I went ballastic. To this day I cannot read that thread because it simply is too unpleasant for me to read -- not just because kuvasz's and cycloptichorn's comments were so personal with the intent to hurt instead of presenting a convincing argument to defend their position, but also because my own comments are so full of anger. Andy's brief two- or three-line message at Tech N9ne is nothing compared to the posts in that A2K thread.

Again, I can vouch for the fact that Andy is a decent kid who has received a bum's rush from some of the members here. I would even say he's a sensitive guy, which I would not consider to be a slight or an insult. The home page of this website says "We are not unreasonable or intolerant people." When we are incapable of seeing the difference between someone like Samdaman :x and someone like Andy, we make ourselves look foolish; and we belie the claim made on the home page.

You might want to ask yourselves the following question: What did Andy stand to gain by apologizing in this thread? The answer is "Absolutely nothing." He easily could have just brushed it off. (Incidentally, when I apologized to him for being rude and insulting him by referring to him as "that jerk coach," kuvasz accepted my apology; and even though I continued to post frequently in that thread expressing views contrary to those held by hardcore sports fans, he never came back and attacked me.) When we are unwilling to forgive someone who has obviously made a sincere apology, we only make ourselves look harsh and unreasonable.

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Well, Earl, I did accept Andy's apology (to some extent). It was good of him to face the music, come onto this thread that dwelled upon an imperfection of his and apologise to us for what he did. He could have avoided the issue altogether and not said a word, but I have to give him some credit for trying to make amends under difficult circumstances. That being said, I can understand why some of the members felt less inclined to forgive, and sadly I believe that Andy's credibility has been lowered by this entire deal. It wasn't so much what he did over at Tech N9ne that bothered me, it's that he completely wanted us to believe that he was above all that stuff and even went so far as to tell a member here to "stop flaming" when he himself was commanding others to flame our website. I can understand why he would be angry at some of the comments he received on here despite his polite attitude, but I'd rather he'd just been honest and told us that he was getting pissed off and that he thought we were all a bunch of morons who he would only respect if we would change our attitudes. Instead he opted to keep playing the nice game so that we could remain under the illusion that he was morally spotless whilst he tried to instigate a flame war on here. That was pretty two-faced. I accepted his apology and never became mad at him or believed all of his charitable traits in real life were mere "lies", but I do honestly feel through this whole experience that he was trying to play the nice guy too hard on this forum when his real feelings were different.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Agent 47

Post by Agent 47 »

"We can’t find a healthy brain in an ex-football player."

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2873539.htm