Girls' PE in school?

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
ChrisOH

Girls' PE in school?

Post by ChrisOH »

Since I know that in Abitagirl and now Nicole, we have at least a couple of female members, I'm curious as to whether girls' PE classes in your schools were as sports-driven as the boys' were at my high school? When I was in junior high (what these kids today call "middle school", I hear :wink: ) we had co-ed PE on Fridays, with boys and girls doing separate classes every other day the rest of the week. It seemed like, from hearing them talk, that the girls did more exercise/calisthenic type things than sports. Of course, this was 20-some years ago, and nowadays, it seems like girls are goaded into sports just like boys are.

I have a young niece (turning ten this year) who is tall for her age (she's five feet already), and I'm certain she'll be pressured heavily into getting involved with sports. (She has played softball and soccer in youth leagues, but doesn't seem all that interested in it -- she's much more of an artistic person and when I ask her about her future, she always mentions wanting to be a painter or a sculptor, or perhaps to be an art teacher). My wife and I have been getting her gifts for birthdays and Christmas to encourage this -- such as paint sets, registrations for art classes, etc.) Last time I saw her, I took her to a birding program at one of our local metroparks, and she mentioned she'd like to do that sort of thing again, as well as do some hikes on the trails in the park. Glad I can do my part to show her that there are plenty of other fun things to do and experience besides sports! :)
recovering_fan

Re: Girls' PE in school?

Post by recovering_fan »

I don't see why we interpret "equality" to mean that women should have to keep up with guys in sports. Here's an article outlining the specific risks (to their knees) that girls face if they over-exert themselves athletically. That's not to say they should live sedentary lifestyles, but does the whole Amazon ideal really make sense? In the end, is it really worth it?

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/2011/01/ ... s/ac6jcal/
ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

recovering_fan wrote:I don't see why we interpret "equality" to mean that women should have to keep up with guys in sports. Here's an article outlining the specific risks (to their knees) that girls face if they over-exert themselves athletically. That's not to say they should live sedentary lifestyles, but does the whole Amazon ideal really make sense? In the end, is it really worth it?

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/2011/01/ ... s/ac6jcal/
I think a lot of it has to do with the Title IX legislation where colleges must offer equal amounts of sports funding and participation to women as well as men. Unfortunately, even some in the women's-rights movement have bought into the idea that sports make one a "man" and therefore to be equal with men, girls/women must play sports. I'm a firm believer in equal rights between the genders; however, I don't think sports is the solution to that. I'd much rather see equality in pay, education, career opportunities and just general respect.
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

ChrisOH wrote:Unfortunately, even some in the women's-rights movement have bought into the idea that sports make one a "man" and therefore to be equal with men, girls/women must play sports. I'm a firm believer in equal rights between the genders; however, I don't think sports is the solution to that. I'd much rather see equality in pay, education, career opportunities and just general respect.
Sports for girls is fine, just as long as they know the risks. Maybe the problem, for both genders, is that there is such an obsession with winning (as opposed to amusement, health and participation) that high school and college girls are sacrificing their health for the good of their teams.