Anti-sports movie accepted into D.I.F.F., nominated for MFA

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
miketv

Anti-sports movie accepted into D.I.F.F., nominated for MFA

Post by miketv »

I'm new here & I'm completely blown away that I haven't found this board before. Sports have been a focus of my negative energy since childhood. I guess I figured that since sports are so rampant & thoroughly invasive in Western culture, I'm probably the only nut out here fighting against them. Great to see so many others feel the same.

I made a film called The High Five that -- to my knowledge -- is the 1st film to directly implicate sports in the decline of civilization. It's now an official selection at the 2011 Detroit Independent Film Festival, & has been nominated for a Michigan Film Award. I couldn't be more proud.

If you feel like supporting the cause, I could use some clicks here:

http://detroitiff.slated.com/2011/films ... oitiff2011

It's a website for film festival patrons & participants. No signup required. The more hits my movie's page gets, the more buzz my movie gets. Hopefully it will get enough publicity to keep touring at film festivals around the world, spreading a message of animosity toward the brainless beefcakes.

Also, look for an upcoming essay where I outline paths governments may take to ensure social benefits & powers go to the intelligent, not the athletic.

I'm not usually a very nice guy, but I'm really thankful to have found this site. Thanks for reading this, & I look forward to our discussions.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Re: Anti-sports movie accepted into D.I.F.F., nominated for

Post by Fat Man »

miketv wrote:I'm not usually a very nice guy, but I'm really thankful to have found this site. Thanks for reading this, & I look forward to our discussions.
Good evening MikeTV:

Don't worry, I can also be a real bitch myself, a fat bitch as you will soon discover from reading some of my forum posts. :twisted: :twisted:

Yes, I also believe that sports could very well contribute to the downfall of civilization.

You know, sports was actually invented over 2,500 years ago by wealthy old perverts and pedophiles who got their rocks off oogeling athletic young men and butt-banging little boys.

That's one of the biggest factors in the decline of the ancient Greek civilization, not to mention the number that sports had done to Roman civilization, and the USA could be next.

Anyway, let me be the very first to welcome you to our anti-sports forums.

Don't be a stranger now.

Do come back! :D :D :D
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

miketv wrote:Also, look for an upcoming essay where I outline paths governments may take to ensure social benefits & powers go to the intelligent, not the athletic.
I can't wait ! :)
miketv

Post by miketv »

I forgot to mention....the youtube link to The High Five is in my signature.
I have it set to "private" right now since it's involved in a festival, but you should be able to see it by clicking the link. If not, send me a PM & I'll send it.

Some of the history you mentioned is covered in the movie, Fat Man. I'm considering making a sequel that will go further into it.
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

Fat Man wrote: You know, sports was actually invented over 2,500 years ago by wealthy old perverts and pedophiles who got their rocks off oogeling athletic young men and butt-banging little boys.
Where did you read that? Or is that your own take on it?

Did societies prior to the Greek Olympiad not have sports of any kind? That's fairly difficult to believe !

I mean, the Aztecs definitely had an odd soccer-basketball hybrid that they played, after which they sacrificed the losing team to their gods.

--RF
miketv

Post by miketv »

well, he did say over 2,500 years ago....
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

And the Aztecs came after 500 B.C., I guess, but the independent development of sports in the New World weakens the claim that the Greeks were primarily responsible for sports' creation. There have probably been sports as long as there have been military exercises of any kind.

--RF
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Hello and welcome to the forums miketv. Congratulations on the success of your film - I hope it manages to receive plenty of attention, as I feel this issue of sports' dominance in society needs to be addressed. There is simply too much money going into the sports industry in times of worldwide economic crisis, and I would seriously want to see these pro sports players' wages being heavily slashed and far less money going into promoting the games and industry as a whole. I'll get round to checking out your film later. It's good to see someone else with a real passion for this anti-sports cause. This world seriously needs to reassess its attitude towards athletics, because the way I see it, too many people are being considered "superior" because they know how to play with a ball, and it's kind of a joke, really. I live in the UK, another rather sports-mad country, and I constantly have to hear about the obscene wages these players earn and it makes me wonder - does this economic crisis not have to apply for these people too? It should do. In my opinion, sports have become too big an enterprise in today's world.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
miketv

Post by miketv »

"Obsolete" is the word that comes to mind.
There's a direct link between organized sports & military exercises. Organized sports developed independently in most civilizations as a way of saying "our men are stronger, tougher, meaner, & faster than yours, & since we can also throw a rock farther, your guys had better stay on your side of the fence or there will be trouble." In fact, as recently as the 1700's in Africa, war was more like a series of symbolic contests designed to settle disputes & reinforce that superiority than it was an attempt to actually murder the opposition.

Yet here we are in the 21st century, absolutely soaked in military technology & centuries of intellectual progress, still promoting athletes as the finest specimens of our cultures. Why? Cincinnati is under no threat of invasion from Chicago. Dallas doesn't benefit whatsoever when they defeat New York in a game of ball. Ironically, if one modern city does attack its neighbor, it's less likely to involve running & wrestling than propaganda, technology, economy, & sociology -- concepts with which jocks are notoriously useless. It's a sad but true joke that the physically-dominant are chosen to be our role models & pampered as the saviors of our cities. Their only real value is to themselves.

Side note: South American cultures seem to stand alone in their development of sports. While most civilizations use sports as a means of symbolic protection, the Aztecs & Maya seemed to use them as religious ritual with the ultimate goal of controlling population.

Thanks for the good words, 1981. I'm doing my best. You should watch it soon, though, because I'll be pulling it back down in a couple of weeks out of respect for the festivals.
And RF, about the essay I promised--it might take a little longer than I thought. I originally posted it on my old myspace blog in 2006, but myspace's new system has apparently wiped out all my blogs earlier than 2007. The ideas are still with me, though, so I'll rewrite it soon.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Good Morning MikeTV

I have a channel on YouTube you might want to check out.

Science Wins! Creationism Loses! We have the fossils! WE WIN!
BigFatMan1951's Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/BigFatMan1951

And my feature video is . . .

Don McLeroy - The Creationist in Charge of Education in Texas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGmli0YI1WI

----------------------------------------
BigFatMan1951 | July 18, 2010

March 11, 2010 on ABC Nightline:

Fundamentalist Christian dentist (hey! That rhymes!) Don McLeory, promotes drastic curriculum change for school textbooks in the state of Texas.

Among some of the proposed changes would be to remove any mention of Thomas Jefferson from the history textbooks and replace him with John Calvin, a raving maniac who a few centuries ago had people tortured in the name of his religion.

This, of course, is not mentioned in the NEWS clipping on the video above, but many other purposed changes are mentioned.

Don McLeoroy was eventually voted out of the Texas State Board of Education, but it's too late, because the board has selected the Textbooks that will be used for the next 10 years, so we're all screwed!
----------------------------------------

I had downloaded this video, save it to my hard drive, then I uploaded it to my own YouTube channel so I could edit the video, by adding some annotations with my own comments in little block of text that appears while the video is playing.

Yeah! I live in the state of Texas where all this shit is going on!

One of these days, I would like to get a video camera and a really good microphone, then people will be able to see me sitting there, smoking my pipe, cup of coffer in hand, and making comments about various topics, for example: the quality of education in the USA, politics, the controversy over Evolution Vs Creationism, etc. etc.

I could be like another Pat Condell

You might enjoy watching some of his videos.

Pat Condell
http://www.youtube.com/user/patcondell

Of course, I could just start out with a good microphone, and just have still pictures and text in my videos before I get a video camera.

You might also want to check out some of the topics I have posted in the Off Topic section of these forums.

I have posted many topics on politics, science and education, Evolution Vs Creationism, and also The Inquisition, and links to many YouTube videos on these subjects.

Yeah, you will probably notice how I do like to rant and rave, and how I love being sarcastic, sort of like Don Rickles, the great insult artist whom I admire so much.

When these obnoxious Sports Bores come into these forums, I just love tearing them a new one.

Anyway . . . . .

I hope your video wins in the film festival.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Agent 47

Post by Agent 47 »

Hi MikeTV. Nice movie you've made there. I wish you well with that. I gave that D.I.F.F. page link a couple of clicks.

It's great to see someone that isn't afraid of the possibility of offending the precious jock-ocracy.

"Astonishingly, many societies worship these sociopaths."

Exactly.

Four stars.
"We can’t find a healthy brain in an ex-football player."

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2873539.htm
Earl

Post by Earl »

Hi, Mike. Please forgive me for being so late to extend a warm welcome to this forum.

I just watched the YouTube video of your film. I wish you success. You're a brave man. Many people react hatefully even when only a slight criticism is made of the sports culture. Of course, I'm sure you've been aware of this sad fact for years.

I have an observation of my own that might strike you as not being particularly significant, but I still believe that it affects the lives of others. In recent years there has been a movement to reform mandatory P.E., which historically has been sports-based.

Before I continue, let me briefly describe my own point of view in this particular controversy. Ever since I was a young boy, I've never had an interest in sports; but today I'm on a bodybuilding program, which is part of my exercise regimen. I don't consider mere exercise to be a sport. I have to exercise because of health considerations. I really enjoy bodybuilding because it helps me feel better about myself. I don't view myself as being in any sort of contest with other men. Self-improvement is not competition.

To get back to the issue of reforming P.E., without going into proof at this time, let me just say this: Mandatory sports-based P.E. does not promote physical fitness among those who aren't involved in sports. It has the opposite effect. (Some sports are actually detrimental to health, but that's another issue.) Some physical educators have recognized this fact and therefore seek to reform the traditional approach, but they face considerable opposition from some quarters.

I've been fascinated to hear some people say that all boys should be forced to participate in competitive team sports in mandatory P.E. classes, when it should be obvious to them that this approach doesn't work. What amazes me is that these people think that sports should be viewed with as much importance as the sciences instead of being viewed as a form of recreation that should not be coerced upon anyone who isn't interested.

I'm sure you would have some comments and observations of your own about the rationale that is advanced for opposing humane reforms of P.E. But I see no reason on earth why any boy who has no interest in sports should be forced to participate in them. There have been many men who achieved high levels of physical fitness without participating in any sport.

Again, welcome.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
miketv

Post by miketv »

I just wrote a lengthy reply, but I was timed out & everything was lost. So here's the short version:

Thanks everyone, for watching the movie & I really appreciate the clicks (keep 'em coming!). Ironically, The High Five is the best movie I've ever made, but I can't even put it on my demo reel because nobody wants to hire a guy that puts dog boners in his videos (not to mention the glaring hatred for the national pastime).

The essay I mentioned is becoming a manifesto. I'm developing plans & systems that could benefit the world through education, economics, & energy programs, & all of the benefits arise from re-assessing the value placed on sports. It begins with a filtering system in our schools, designed to identify which students are "learners" & which are "jocks", & then channeling them into courses designed to build on those potentials. I'll post it here first, as soon as the rewrite is finished.

Earl: you're right about P.E. having a negative effect on non-athletic kids. The things I've seen in gym class & the locker room had the effect of the Scared Straight program on me. I'd be interested to hear the proposals people are making to reform P.E. in schools. Competitiveness does seem to be at the heart of the problem. Not only can it physically ruin an unfit person for life, but it fosters feelings of worthlessness among those who have the potential to be scientists, artists, politicians, etc., while building a scary brand of confidence in those who really have nothing more to offer the world than a chance to see them play with a ball.
Earl

Post by Earl »

miketv wrote:I just wrote a lengthy reply, but I was timed out & everything was lost.
That's also happened to me a number of times. Arrrggghhh! What I do now is, when I've written about the first half of a long post, I click on the "Save draft" button and then follow the directions that are displayed.
miketv wrote:Earl: you're right about P.E. having a negative effect on non-athletic kids. The things I've seen in gym class & the locker room had the effect of the Scared Straight program on me. I'd be interested to hear the proposals people are making to reform P.E. in schools. Competitiveness does seem to be at the heart of the problem. Not only can it physically ruin an unfit person for life, but it fosters feelings of worthlessness among those who have the potential to be scientists, artists, politicians, etc., while building a scary brand of confidence in those who really have nothing more to offer the world than a chance to see them play with a ball.
You've touched upon an issue that's dear to my heart. Well, I'm near obsessive about it because, in a sense, I've been on both sides! As a nonathletic boy in the 1960s, I went through the exercise (pun not intended) of hypocrisy that was mandatory sports-based P.E. In the last few years, I've been working with a personal trainer at a local health club on a bodybuilding program. (By the way, I love working out!) From my own personal experience, I know what works and what doesn't work for nonathletic guys. The sports crowd actually discourages nonathletic boys from becoming physically active and committing themselves to an exercise program. What has amazed me to no end is the fact that nonathletic boys hardly get any exercise at all in traditional sports-based P.E. classes.

I could go on and give all the reasons why traditional sports-based P.E. has failed to serve the needs of nonathletic students, but what I want to focus on now is the movement to reform P.E. -- in other words, replacing the "old P.E." with genuine fitness classes that actually do some good instead of teaching nonathletic boys to fear (and resent) coaches and athlete classmates. I do favor the retention of traditional sports-based P.E. as an elective for the athletes and other students who want to participate in team sports. (I'm far more generous to the sports crowd than they've ever been to us nonathletes -- with the exception of individual athletes and coaches, of course.)

A description of an excellent P.E. program was recently provided by OMGdudeWhat, a new member who was an athlete in high school:
OMGdudeWhat wrote:yeah earl, you seem like a sensible guy... but i wonder, when did you go to school? I don't know if its just a state thing, or back when you went to school but your idea of what P.E should be like was pretty much how it was when i went to school. In elementary school, it was a required part of the curriculum, but it was pretty basic stuff like stretching and cardio like running a few laps. then the last 10 minutes you could play whatever you wanted like kickball and soccer or some other made up kids games i don't really remember. in middle school, p.e wasn't required, it was an elective & it was sports based. i took it, along with other kids who wanted to, no one was forced to be in there. finally, in high school, you needed 1 p.e credit to graduate, you could have either taken weight training, team sports, or just regular p.e. i took regular p.e since i didn't want to be sweaty throughout the day, and also because i already played sports after school anyway. in reg p,e you just exercised (they had a bunch of exercise equipment & simple machines like treadmills), again doing cardio, and preparing for the presidential fitness test, which included running a mile, doing push ups, sit ups, and measuring how flexible you are. the rest of the class time, you would do bookwork, learning about different ways to be healthy and keep in shape, including eating habits. so yeah, either p.e has changed over the years since you last went, or maybe it is a school/state/area issue.
You notice, miketv, that in this P.E. program he described, its requirements did not force sports down the throats of nonathletic students, but actually gave them a choice. Of course, the old P.E. apparently still is the sad reality in many school districts.

Yes, there is a movement to reform P.E.; but guess who the opponents of this movement are. Are the opponents of P.E. reform sedentary eggheads who couldn't care less about being physically fit? No, the opponents are often P.E. coaches themselves! What completely mystifies me is the refusal of team sport coaches to admit that they would still have enough athletic students who want to try out for their cherished teams without forcing nonathletic students to take the old P.E., which is totally useless to the nonathletes. For example, the boys who want to play football don't need to be forced to take P.E.! I guess the "old P.E." coaches enjoy lording it over those inferior nonathletes. Two years ago in my Google searches, I came across a blog that featured posts submitted by coaches who were griping about P.E. reform! One of them said that his/her responsibility was to teach competition, not how to get into shape! How inane! Since it's part of life, competition doesn't need to be taught, anymore than people need to be taught how to breathe so they won't suffocate. Don't nerds compete with each other to see who gets the highest academic rank?

There is one program in particular that I strongly support, which I discovered when I started posting at this website two years ago. (Yes, the longtime members of this forum are groaning right now because they know exactly what I'm about to say). Until I had learned about this program, I had favored the abolition of mandatory P.E. altogether. Since clicking on links in this forum will throw you out of the website itself, I've gone to the trouble of copying and pasting an online article about this wonderful program (which I've done before in this forum) -- from which I would have benefited greatly (by the way), had it been set up in my school district. Of course, this program was devised only in recent years, not during my childhood (which took place in ancient times).
Personal Best

Number 22: Fall 2002

Titusville is tiny. Tucked into the hills of northwest Pennsylvania, off a back road between Buffalo and Pittsburgh, the town looks like a Norman Rockwell backdrop gone ever-so-slightly to seed. Hang a right out of Titusville Middle School, cruise down a couple of blocks of aging but tidy clapboard houses, and youâ??ll suddenly come to the edge of town. On your right will be a bare field stretching toward the Titusville Wastewater Treatment Plant; on your left, a little drive-in with big windows called City Limits Ice Cream.

Titusville is friendly. It's the kind of place where you walk back to your car after paying for a tankful of gas, fumbling with your keys and a Dr. Pepper, and find your door being opened by a passerby â?? a rosy-cheeked boy no more than 5, with thick glasses and a mighty cowlick. "You're welcome!" he'll say, ambling away.

Titusville is dwindling. Its main claim to fame dates all the way back to 1859, when Col. Edwin Drake picked this spot to drill the world's first producing oil well. Soon after, the town was incorporated with 8,000 opportunistic souls. But the oil wells that attracted them stopped churning long ago.

Slowly but surely, every other major industry in the area took a powder as well. Now there are just 6,400 folks in Titusville. More than one-third of them â?? 2,500 â?? are enrolled in the local schools. And as Titusville Middle School principal Karen Jez says with a wistful sigh, "We know a lot of these kids are not staying."

The reason is simple: Jobs are scarce. "It's a unique community," Jez says, putting the best face forward. "Thereâ??s a lot of families that live in town and donâ??t own automobiles. They just see that as a luxury, so they walk. We have a lot of families that donâ??t have telephones, because they donâ??t see that they can afford those kinds of things right now. Half of our kids are on free and reduced lunch. But weâ??re striving to give them the best education. They need to be ready when they leave us."

As part of that effort, Titusville schools have given the town a fresh claim to fame: a ground-breaking physical education program that is fast becoming a model for schools all over the United States.

At a time when wealthier school districts are slashing the funds and class time once allocated to gym, Titusville has joined a small-but-growing movement in the opposite direction, investing serious time and money in a wellness-based curriculum known as the "New P.E." In the process, they're reshaping the social climate of Titusville schools.

Gym class used to be the bane of non-athletes' existence, a place where kids were often humiliated, and where social hierarchies formed and flourished. Now it's an essential part of Titusville's campaign to cut down on peer harassment.

"We're working very hard on creating a caring community across the board," Jez says. "The fact that kids are equalized in P.E. helps. We don't have as much name-calling, teasing, bullying as we have had in years past. That all comes from being a healthy being."

"Ask any group of 10 adults for their memories of gym class," A. Virshup writes in Women's Sports and Fitness magazine, "and seven of them will launch into litanies of frustration and humiliation: the groans when they came up to bat, the failure to do a single pull-up on the annual fitness test, the gruesome uniforms.

"P.E. seemed less a class than some tribal ritual for jocks to enjoy and the rest of us to endure," Virshup recalls.

In most American schools, it hasn't changed much. True, uniforms are generally out â?? but skills tests, competitive team sports and embarrassed non-athletes remain phys-ed staples. P.E. has been sick for a long time. And lately, it's been dying.

While the number of overweight children in the United States has doubled in the last three decades, the number of kids taking daily P.E. has plummeted â?? from 42 percent to 25 percent from 1991 to 1995 alone, according to a Surgeon General's report.

Only one state, Illinois, now requires daily physical education for all its students. New academic standards have necessitated more class time for traditional academic subjects â?? so, administrators reason, why not cut down on gym?

Three years ago, Tim McCord was beginning to wonder himself. After two decades at Titusville Middle School, he had plunged into a gym teacherâ??s version of existential angst.

"I was a drill sergeant," he says. "For 19 years, I taught the same way. We were your basic everyday phys-ed program. The athletes dominated. The kids who were not as talented skills-wise, or as physically gifted, basically fell by the wayside. How much good was I doing those kids?"

Then McCord went to a statewide workshop where he discovered a little piece of technology that resuscitated him â?? and ultimately transformed P.E. in Titusville into a curriculum that breaks down barriers between students, rather then creating and reinforcing them.

It starts with heart-rate monitors. Mounted on a band that wraps around a studentâ??s chest, monitors track the heart rate during a workout; a wristwatch displays the results as the level of exertion rises and falls.

Using the monitors, students and teachers can determine individual target heart-rate zones â?? basically, the studentsâ?? ideal levels of exertion, based on their aerobic fitness at the beginning of a semester. Then teachers can tie grades to how long students are exercising in their personal target zone.

The upshot struck McCord as positively revolutionary: "Using the monitors, every kid could be successful in P.E." Goodbye, tribal ritual.

"Weâ??d always based grades on whether kids dressed for class, how they did on skills tests, and a totally subjective idea of whether they were working hard," McCord says. "But I couldnâ??t really tell. How did I know whether a kid was working hard? Now, here was a way to know for sure."

Of course, you had to get them moving first â?? and that meant rethinking the traditional activities of P.E. as well. It would do no good to strap a heart-rate monitor on a 12-year-old who was going to spend 40 minutes standing idly around a volleyball net.

So as he plotted his strategy for buying monitors â?? they go for $140 a pop, hardly small change for a public school in a cash-strapped district â?? McCord studied innovative ways to turn gym class into perpetual motion. His research led him to the patron saint of the New P.E., Phil Lawler.

Fifteen years ago, Lawler went through his own gym-teacherâ??s crisis. "When P.E. was being cut, we were forced to look at our offerings and say, â??What do we offer thatâ??s of value?â?? I mean, I canâ??t stand there in front of my school board and say, â??Hey, I teach volleyball, basketball and football skills. You canâ??t cut my funding!â??"

Determined to make P.E. a subject "of value," Lawler ended up transforming his junior high schoolâ??s gym in Naperville, Ill., into a high-tech fitness center whirring with exercise bikes, stair-steppers and rowing machines â?? anything, basically, that would get every kidâ??s heart pumping for an entire period. Now Lawler is National Institute director of PE4Life, spreading the gospel to angst-ridden ex-jocks like McCord.

"Now, fifteen years later," he says, "Iâ??ll go head-to-head with someone from any curriculum and defend ours as the most important at the school."

Parents appear to agree. For three years running, theyâ??ve ranked P.E. the best class offered at Naperville Junior High.

Lawler estimates, perhaps optimistically, that as many as 30 percent of U.S. schools are "moving in the direction" of New P.E. Some have begun to emphasize movement over team-sports skills, with activities like dance and aerobics.

Others, like Titusvilleâ??s middle and high schools, use heart-rate monitors in fitness centers packed with aerobic equipment. Full-blown exemplars of the New P.E, like Roosevelt High School in Seattle, supplement the fitness centers with non-competitive, sweat-inducing activities such as roller-blading, rock-climbing and mountain biking.

For gym teachers struggling against cuts in time and funding, the New P.E. can sound prohibitively expensive. But, as Lawler says, "It costs nothing to get kids walking, or jumping rope." And McCord adds, "Hey, Titusvilleâ??s rural, out in the middle of nowhere. If we can do it ... ."

It took the re-energized McCord only a matter of months â?? and $30,000 for the monitors and fitness equipment â?? to transform Titusville Middle School into a New P.E. showplace. He quickly sold Titusvilleâ??s school board on the link between aerobic fitness and all-around well-being.

The kids didnâ??t take much convincing. Principal Jez still marvels at the way their attitudes changed after the wellness center opened. "Before, we had a lot of girls, especially, who just wouldnâ??t dress for P.E. They would just come and sit in the office and say, â??Iâ??m not going.â??

"Now we donâ??t have kids refusing to dress," she says, still sounding a tad surprised. "They enjoy P.E."

Above his busy desk, on a wall students see when they come into the locker room, Tim McCord has hung a sign that expresses his newfound philosophy: "Physical education is the only subject which by the very nature of its content has the potential to affect how a person will feel every moment of every day for the rest of his or her life."

With his hard jawline, flat buzz cut and shiny track suit, McCord might seem like an unlikely philosopher. But his wisdom is in heavy demand. At least 40 other schools have visited Titusville since it became the "Little P.E. Program That Could." McCord carries his success story to workshops all over the state and country.

Not that he doesnâ??t meet skeptics along the way. "I remember this teacher at a workshop telling me, â??We can teach our kids a lot about the real world in P.E., a lot about survival of the fittest.â??

"My response was, â??Why is it that physical educators always have to teach their real-world lessons in a negative way? Why canâ??t we take a positive approach?â??"

McCord has already written out the dayâ??s activities on an erasable board. Itâ??s a Wellness Center workout day. Theyâ??re to strap on their monitors, pick up their heart-rate watches, jog three laps and start working out. McCord doesnâ??t like to waste precious time calling roll and barking instructions.

"After the beginning of the semester, when they learn what to do, I become non-existent," McCord says. Heâ??s exaggerating, of course. Once the boys have done their laps and started pedaling and rowing and stepping, McCord has a very important role: manning the boombox.

"Mr. McCord!" hollers Josh, a broad-shouldered boy whoâ??s already broken a sweat. "You got that CD with â??Born to Be Wildâ?? on it?"

"Yeah, but you have to promise to sing."

As the boys pedal and row and check their watches, McCord cranks the old Steppenwolf tune. Twenty teenage voices bellow the refrain: "Born to be wi-i-i-i-i-ld!"

A few minutes later, "Hand Jive" comes on and elicits a similar response â?? along with a hand-jiving demonstration by McCord, the ex-drill sergeant.

Compared to the orderly rigors and glacial pace of Old P.E. ("Everybody behind that line â?? alphabetical order!"), the New P.E. looks like chaos. In this narrow, L-shaped room â?? originally designed to store nets and balls â?? youâ??ve got 20 adolescent males in constant motion.

It would seem like a recipe for tension, aggression, boiling over. Instead, cooperation rules: The boys move fluidly, cheerfully, from one machine to the next. If they have to wait a minute, they jog in place, jump, chat, sing.

"Youâ??ll notice they donâ??t hang out in groups of athletes and non-athletes anymore," McCord says, flipping through his CDs. "The kids talk to each other now. They donâ??t worry so much about being different."

Gym class used to be an incubator of difference, tape-measuring and certifying athletic superiority â?? which so often translates into social privilege outside the gym. Now, what emanates from Titusvilleâ??s P.E. classes is just the opposite. "Thereâ??s not so much tension between the groups," says John Wiley, P.E. chairperson at Titusville Senior High. "The athletes and the techies work together."

Incidents of bullying have decreased in Titusville. But with the New P.E. in just its third year, itâ??s too soon to measure its broader impact on the schoolsâ?? social climate.

For anecdotal evidence, you could turn to Ryan McGarvie. Two years ago, Ryan was a wheelchair-bound 6th grader who wanted nothing to do with P.E. After all, how was someone with cerebral palsy going to fit into a gym class?

"With a walker and a heart-rate monitor," McCord says, stepping out into the gymnasium where a few of the boys continue to jog laps and jump rope. "Once Iâ??d convinced him that he could make an A, that he could do just as well as the other kids if he got himself into his target zone â?? well, look. Ryanâ??s out here in his walker, challenging the other kids to races."

"Hey, you want to see me pull myself up?" Ryan says. "Iâ??m very good at it; Iâ??ve got a lot of upper-body strength." With a steadying hand from Lea Roseman, his educational aide, Ryan slides out of his walker and lies flat on his belly before hoisting himself slowly back up, gripping the rails of the walker.

He checks his monitor. "Oops, too high!" he says, flashing a toothy grin. Two years ago, he couldnâ??t lift up like that. "Now, Iâ??ll tell you a secret," he says, leaning forward confidentially. "Sometimes I lay down on my bed and prop up the mirror so I can look at my muscles."

Today, Ryanâ??s classmates include a kid with a cast on his leg, huffing away on a rowing machine; another boy with a sprained ankle is working his arms on a weight machine. Nowadays, instead of medical excuses, doctors are asked to fill out "Can-Do" lists, checking off activities injured kids can safely participate in.

"OK, thirty seconds!" McCord bellows, clicking off the boombox. The machines grind to a stop. The kids circle around McCord, unstrapping their watches, checking their times. "Todayâ??s an 18-point day," he tells them. Points are awarded for each minute a student stays in his target heart-rate zone; you have to stay in your zone 60 percent of the period to make an A.

McCord calls the boys forward and collects their watches as they report their times. "Twenty-seven!" huffs the red-faced boy who spent most of the class jumping rope.

"Sixteen," Josh reports.

"Five," says a tall, athletic-looking kid who turns back to the locker room with a sheepish look on his face.

Thatâ??s one of the more startling things about the New P.E.: Now the athletes have to struggle. Not that they, or their parents, always appreciate the new egalitarianism.

"The only complaints we get now," McCord says, bustling back to his desk, "will be from parents of athletes who call and say, â??My kid has to work too hard to stay in the target heart-rate zone.â?? " But the point, he tells them, is that the kids who excel in the New P.E. are all working equally hard â?? from different starting points, with different physical histories and abilities.

"I see a level playing field now," McCord says, making a quick check of his voice-mail while the boys dress for fourth period. A TV reporter from Erie wants an interview. Thereâ??s another request for a presentation about the New P.E.

"Hey, Iâ??m just this little podunk guy in Titusville," McCord says, punching the buttons on his antiquated answering machine. "Whatâ??s going on here?"

"Um, Mr. McCord?" A bespectacled head pokes tentatively into the office. "Did I do OK today? I mean, I wasnâ??t sure."

Ronnie Manzini is understandably worried. A brand-new transfer from a local private school, he just had his first dose of New P.E., and heâ??s never seen anything like it.

McCord forgets about his voice-mail. "Did you do OK?" he says. "Did you do OK? Hey, listen: You got a 19. Youâ??ve already got an extra-credit point. You did a lot more than OK!"

The new kid grins and shrugs, pleased but embarrassed, then turns and sprints away to his next new class.
http://www.tolerance.org/magazine/numbe ... sonal-best
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

miketv wrote:I just wrote a lengthy reply, but I was timed out & everything was lost.
In addition to Earl's approach (which sounds like it might be the best way to go), you can also try one or more of the following:

(1) Before you hit Submit, select your entire text and hit "copy." That way if you lose your text you can paste it back onto the screen.

(2) If you hit Preview every few minutes, that should keep you from logging out accidentally. I guess Save Draft might have the same effect. I don't really know. With my approach, even if you do end up logging out at some point and losing your draft, you can probably still back-button your way back to a screen that will have your draft.

--RF