Cable channel opting

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
RaleighRob

Cable channel opting

Post by RaleighRob »

So I saw some articles lately about the FCC here in the US pushing the cable tv industry to begin allowing customers to pick and use which non-premium channels they want and don't want.

Granted, this mostly started out due to all the religious and "family" oriented people all upset that there's sex on TV and so forth. (I won't start on what I think about them here since it's off-topic....)

However, I later started to think about it...Imagine! I can tell the cable tv company I don't want to pay for all these useless sports channels anymore! No ESPN, ESPN2, and all their dozens of clones. All gone. (Not to mention get rid of the home shopping channels, the religious channels, childrens channels, etc...but I digress).
I can flip channels easily from Comedy Central to SciFi to BBC to National Geographic... and so forth...and never see a single all-sports tv channel on my dial.

I can hardly wait!

Post by Guest »

NO ESPN????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
HOW CAN U LIVE WIT OUT ESPN U LOSER. NAT. GEORGRAFSHIT? WHAT DO U DO WIT THAT ??? THERE ARENT ENOUGH SPORTS CHANNELS AND ITS A SHAME. THERE IS 2 MANY EDUCATION CHANNELS AND SHIT BAN THEM.

SPORTS RULE U ALL SUCK!!!!!
Ray
Site Admin

Cancel ESPN NOW!

Post by Ray »

Is that right? Pay only for the ones you want? Like Adult Swim, Travel channel, Sci-Fi, PBS, and Spike? Cool! I did read something about that in the paper --as a way to cater to family viewing like you said, but I didn't realize you got to pick and choose. Dat's cool! I figured they'd have some sort of crappy, pre-assembled line ups to choose from like (a) Disney, Lifetime, Family, Home Shopping Network, and ESPN or (b) Animal Planet, CMT, Cartoon Network, Nickelodian, Oxygen, and Food channels. That's good news. I'm calling my cable company about dropping ESPN and any other sports programming they have right now! :D
RaleighRob

Post by RaleighRob »

Actually Ray, you might be right. Maybe I've misunderstood. Guess we'll have to wait and see which directions the cable companies head. I'm hoping it's by the channel....I just like to micro-manage some things. :lol:
Ray Unplugged

Sure, Why Not?

Post by Ray Unplugged »

RaleighRob wrote:Actually Ray, you might be right. Maybe I've misunderstood. Guess we'll have to wait and see which directions the cable companies head. I'm hoping it's by the channel....I just like to micro-manage some things. :lol:

Well.. it seems to be asking a lot but if they can manage it, III'd rather get to choose. Hell, I'd PAY to get rid of ESPN and the Cuntry Musik Channel! :)

Post by Guest »

espn is the only thing i watch thx 4 letting me no dat silly education channels could be gone!! ALL U NEED IS ESPN ESPN 2, ESPN NEWS, ESPN U, ESPN CLASSIC, AND ALL OTHER ESPNS.

GO ESPN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ray Unplugged

Post by Ray Unplugged »

Anonymous wrote:espn is the only thing i watch thx 4 letting me no dat silly education channels could be gone!! ALL U NEED IS ESPN ESPN 2, ESPN NEWS, ESPN U, ESPN CLASSIC, AND ALL OTHER ESPNS.

GO ESPN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ha ha ha haha --that's funny. Maybe we should go in together and save money! I get all the channels except for the ESPN ESPN2 ESPN NEWS, ESPNU ESPN CLASSIC AND ALL OTHER ESPNS and you get the sports channels. Um.. there's not REALLY an ESPN Classic, is there?

Post by Guest »

of course the is an espn classic

i saw a replay of the ice bowl last week :lol:

espns rule EARTH 2 U MORONS.... ESPN IS THE ONLY REASON WHY 2 HAVE A TV
tvengr4047

Sports Could Go Dark And We Would All Be Better Off

Post by tvengr4047 »

As someone who is being subjected to work in a production truck at scale, not the good freelance money, ESPN and every other channel could go dark forever. How that came to be is another very long story.

The above reason is just one of many why I went from not caring about sports to abject hate of the whole subject. There are plenty of reasons that I can add, but those are for seperate posts.

I have a nickname for the terminally sports obessesed, "sports-wacko".

Post by Guest »

Y DO YALL USE CONFUSIN WORDS?

CAUSE UR ALL GEEKS I TINK SO

LOSERS
tvengr4047

Say What You Like...

Post by tvengr4047 »

At least I can spell and have some sense of manners. The all-caps is really childish.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

In Britain we have four satellite sports channels, which is fine for those that want them. But why, when we have this option, the BBC continues to blow millions of pounds on a !"£$ing rugby tournament while cutting back on its factual programming department. Today the BBC has arrogantly decided that people who are looking forward to their Saturday night entertainment can go to hell, as two hours of rugby union are deemed far more important. The fact you have to pay a compulsory tax called a licence fee for this rubbish makes me mad as a hornet, at least the satellite channels, equivalent to ESPN, are voluntary, you either pay to watch them or you don't. But you must pay for the BBC whether you want to watch this crap or not.
BTW, who else thinks rugby players and American footballers are closet gays?
Ray
Site Admin

I do! I do!

Post by Ray »

Glenn wrote:In Britain we have four satellite sports channels, which is fine for those that want them. But why, when we have this option, the BBC continues to blow millions of pounds on a !"£$ing rugby tournament while cutting back on its factual programming department. Today the BBC has arrogantly decided that people who are looking forward to their Saturday night entertainment can go to hell, as two hours of rugby union are deemed far more important. The fact you have to pay a compulsory tax called a licence fee for this rubbish makes me mad as a hornet, at least the satellite channels, equivalent to ESPN, are voluntary, you either pay to watch them or you don't. But you must pay for the BBC whether you want to watch this crap or not.
BTW, who else thinks rugby players and American footballers are closet gays?
Hi Glenn,
Yep, that is a f*cked up situation. Having to pay for it --when you don't want it. I guess they program sports there --during Prime Time --for the same reason they do it here --because the belief is that the people want it. And the TV networks believe the people want it because sports fans are so vocal. We have to speak up and let them know WE DON'T WATCH SPORTS!! WE DON'T WANT IT!! You have just inspired me to fire off another salvo of e-mails. Thanks!
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Yes, six hours of !"£$ing rugby this weekend on the BBC. Like I really want to watch my own gender roll around in mud and touch each other up in the scrum. It's a shame the skating's finished, all those hot bits of stuff in short skirts and sheer tights, nice. Really, what would you sooner watch: 30 pig ugly meatheads kicking lumps out of each other on a soaking pitch, or some beautiful 19 year old Jap skating around in a short skirt. It makes me laugh when rugby and football fans refer to non fans as gay, but seem quite happy to watch their own sex in skimpy outfits indulging in some weird ball game.

ESPN

Post by Guest »

Extremely
Stupid
People
Network

Now we all know what it stands for