TV program interrupted for "March Madness"

Professional Thuggery! And yet some people actually spend money to watch! Unbelievable!
ChrisOH

TV program interrupted for "March Madness"

Post by ChrisOH »

Just need to vent a little here about another reason I've become so frustrated with sports...

Tonight, my wife and I were watching a TV program on the TruTV network when about 20 minutes into it, they go to commercial and return, completely unannounced and unscheduled, with a talk show about the "March Madness" college basketball tournament! Not even an actual game, but just guys in suits sitting in a studio reading scores and talking about basketball! I mean, there's about 10 ESPN channels on the cable system, plus a number of empty channels -- why did they have to interrupt non-sports programming with this? My wife asked why a bunch of guys in suits talking about basketball was so much more important than what we were watching that it had to interrupt it, and I had no answer! I hoped perhaps they'd just do a rundown of scores, then go back to the regular show, but we turned it back 20 minutes later, and they were still yammering about the basketball!

Someone posted on here once (Ray, perhaps?) about how nice it would be if a network would interrupt a basketball, football, baseball, or hockey game right in the middle and show a normal TV program, just so sports fans could see how annoying that is! I'm inclined to agree. I mean, isn't it enough there's been a bazillion basketball games on in the last few weeks, they have to hog even more time just to blather on about it?

Grrrrrrr..... :evil: OK, I feel better now, thanks for allowing me to vent! :wink:
abitagirl

Re: TV program interrupted for "March Madness"

Post by abitagirl »

Urrrgghhh, March Madness. I'm sick of freaking basketball, and I don't ever want to hear the word "brackets" again. I don't know why they can't show it on ESPN or some other sports network. At first I kept forgetting it was on, so I'd turn the TV on to watch something, and oops, basketball is on! Now I remember it's on (usually), but it's still annoying. :x
Yes, it really is JUST A GAME.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Yes, I remember sometime back in 1998 when I wanted to listen to my favorite late night program, Art Bell, on the radio.

Basketball on TV is bad enough, but there is nothing more moronic than basketball on the radio.

My favorite radio talk show was interrupted for a some retarded basketball game.

Occasionally, you would hear the announcer giving the score, but otherwise he very seldom said anything.

Otherwise, all I could hear was the sound of the ball bouncing on the floor, the squeaking of the shoes on the hard wood floor, and the crowd cheering or sometimes boooooooing!

So, all I could hear on the radio was . . .

THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! SQUEAK! THUMP! THUMP! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! SQUEAK! THUMP! THUMP! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! SQUEAK! THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! THUMP!

Eventually, Art Bell, a four hour program, did come on the radio, but the first two hours were pre-empted for the stupid basketball game.

I would turn down the volume, but every 10 or 15 minutes I would check to see if my program was on, because I knew the game would not last too much longer.

Yeah! Just two hours of thumping and squeaking!

What could possibly be more retarded and moronic than basketball on the radio???
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

abitagirl wrote:Urrrgghhh, March Madness. I'm sick of freaking basketball, and I don't ever want to hear the word "brackets" again. I don't know why they can't show it on ESPN or some other sports network. At first I kept forgetting it was on, so I'd turn the TV on to watch something, and oops, basketball is on! Now I remember it's on (usually), but it's still annoying. :x
Well, I'm thinking of putting up some shelves, but need something to fasten them to the wall -- think I'll stop by the hardware store tomorrow and pick up some......erm, nevermind! :twisted:

Yeah, it's been even worse with the basketball this year, because they now have it on four networks instead of just one. In addition to TruTV, I think TBS and TNT pre-empted much of their schedule for it, as well as CBS.
chrislind2

Post by chrislind2 »

Every year I forget about "March insanity" nothing but sports and programming suffers. I remember last year I rented a lot of movies in March.
Religion is NOT the opiate of the people, it is SPORTS!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

chrislind2 wrote:Every year I forget about "March insanity" nothing but sports and programming suffers. I remember last year I rented a lot of movies in March.
Religion is NOT the opiate of the people, it is SPORTS!
Hey! Another new member!

I bid you, hail and welcome!

Well actually, both religion AND sports are dangerous drugs that can cause psychosis, and people on those drugs often go off on a murder spree. The last murder spree lasted more than 700 years and over 60 million people were tortured to death. It was called the Inquisition from about 1100 to 1850.

Now, we also have sports, and children are getting raped.

Hey boys and girls! Can you say, Penn State?

Anyway . . . . .

Welcome to our anti-sports forums.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Earl

Post by Earl »

Welcome, chrislind2! :D
chrislind2 wrote:Religion is NOT the opiate of the people, it is SPORTS!
How true it is! :roll: :wink:

Please post again. :) We need your input.

Fat Man wrote:Well actually, both religion AND sports are dangerous drugs that can cause psychosis, and people on those drugs often go off on a murder spree.
Now, that's funny. I'm a Christian, but I haven't experienced psychosis. Neither have I gone off on a murder spree. That is strange ... :?

Fat Man, did it ever occur to you that a new member of this forum might happen to be a member of a church or some other religious body? I'm not sure, but Ray (the creator of this website) may be a Baptist. You need to remember that not everyone shares your views. You especially need to remember that potential supporters of this website don't necessarily share your anger at all religion.

Incidentally, in less than a single century, Communist dictators (all of whom were atheists) slaughtered not 60 million, but 100 million people. So, should I now go on and assume that all atheists are crazed killers? No, because I'm not a bigot; and I know several atheists who would never intentionally hurt anyone. I'm not taking a broad-brush swipe at atheists. I'm simply objecting to your bigotry.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Mrs. Earl

Post by Mrs. Earl »

(Earl's post is above.)

Fat Man, you say the Inquisition lasted from 1100 to 1850? Where do you get your "facts"?

By the way, chrislind2, even though I'm also a new member, I'd like to welcome you. :)
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

Mrs. Earl wrote:(Earl's post is above.)

Fat Man, you say the Inquisition lasted from 1100 to 1850? Where do you get your "facts"?
Back in 1980, I checked out a book from the public library about the Inquisition.

It was an old book, the pages were yellow with age, because it had a 1900 copyright date on it, and the author's name was Ingersoll.

The book had over 2,500 pages, and it went into so many details that it took me over a month to read it. I had nightmares from reading it.

According to the book, the Inquisition started around 1100 and ended in 1830 with the last person, a woman being burned at the stake as a witch in Mexico.

Actually, a Jewish friend told me that his great grandfather was wrongly accused of being a witch in Mexico, and was burned at the stake in 1840, so I personally know someone who has an ancestor who was burned at the stake.

Then, I learned recently, from a 20 part series of videos on YouTube that the Inquisition finally ended in 1857. I have the series of videos, produced by NOVA on my YouTube channel.

Oh! And speaking of YouTube, the new channel design has been imposed on all of us YouTube members, so now, our channels all look alike. They ruined my beautiful channel page. They took away my beautiful background with photos of galaxies and star clusters, and it's just white panels with grey text. I can't restore it back to the old style. They ruined my beautiful YouTube channel page.

Yeah! More mindless conformity imposed on us!

Anyway . . . . .

I have been reading up on the Inquisition since I was only in grade school. I got interested in it after reading books on Astronomy, and reading about Galileo.

My mother taught me how to read and write before I even started school, so, as I have mentioned many times before, when I was only in the 3rd grade, I was already reading at high school and adult level, and science has always been my favorite subject, especially Astronomy.

When I was in the 5th grade, I got into an argument with my teacher over an Astronomy book he would not allow me to check out of the school library. He dragged me out into the hallway, and bashed my head against the corner of the concrete block wall. As a result of the concision, I had dizzy spells and headaches for years afterward, until I was in my 20s, then I didn't have them anymore.

Anyway . . . . .

I'm a real Inquisition buff.

Studying it, and collecting more information on it, is a hobby of mine.

I also think, the reason I got my head bashed against the wall, was because the teacher didn't want me to know too much.

The more I think about it, the more I realize he was probably trying to kill me and make it look like an accident.

chrislind2

Post by chrislind2 »

Maybe I watch too much TV anyway. More time for going to the shooting range.
Thanks for the welcome!
It seems so lonely out here when you don't like sports. Yesterday everyone in the shop was in the bosses office yelling and hooting about some game on the TV. There I was out in the shop, the only one working.
I went out for sports in high school, but to be good and actually be allowed to play you need to start in the 3rd grade and be an experienced player. That helped teach me what sports was all about. Life's little competition. If your not good at sports, then you are at least a fanatic about sports. If your not a fanatic then there is something wrong with you.
I remember my dad attending the sporting events my 2 brothers participated in and then my sister. But when I spend a ton of money on a drag racing car...he and my mother came out to watch one time and left early. It never really surprised me, but it makes you wonder why.
If sports fanatics were as passionate about things that really mattered, the world could be a far better place.
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

Fat Man wrote: The book had over 2,500 pages, and it went into so many details that it took me over a month to read it. I had nightmares from reading it.
My priest used to warn me about books like that. The nightmares were your fault for reading such an ungodly work. :lol:

BTW, I hope all the Christians at this site will pray for Safety and me, as we try avoid the catching procrastination bug amid this year's "March Madness". Remember that, like Safety, I too am a sports fan. I just happened to be in recovery. Recovery from sports fandom is a life-long process. You're never fully cured. :(
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

recovering_fan wrote:
Fat Man wrote: The book had over 2,500 pages, and it went into so many details that it took me over a month to read it. I had nightmares from reading it.
My priest used to warn me about books like that. The nightmares were your fault for reading such an ungodly work. :lol:

Yeah,I know what you mean. I've been reading up on the Inquisition ever since I was only in the 5th grade. During the summer months, I would ride my bike to the public library and check out books on Astronomy, and after having read so much about Gelileo, and how he was placed under house arrest by the Catholic church after haven been interrogated for many long hours, and finally signing a false confession, well, I wanted to learn more, so I started reading up more on the Inquisition.

Then, many years later, when my mother and I were spending a summer up in Hillsborough New Mexico back in 1979, I rode my motorcycle to Truth or Consequence New Mexico and checked out books from their library, and that's where I found that one particular book on the Inquisition with the 1900 copyright date on it.

That was the longest, and most detailed book I have ever read. I would read it again if I could get another copy of it. Yeah, even if I find it disturbing, I would still read it again.

I prefer learning the ugly truth far more than listening to pretty sounding fairy tales and lies!

So, I guess the reason why I read such thing is because I'm a glutton for punishment, and also because . . . THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

BTW, I hope all the Christians at this site will pray for Safety and me, as we try avoid the catching procrastination bug amid this year's "March Madness". Remember that, like Safety, I too am a sports fan. I just happened to be in recovery. Recovery from sports fandom is a life-long process. You're never fully cured. :(
Yes, overcoming any kind of addiction is a life long healing process.

I wish you the very best.