book store suggestion

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
miketv

book store suggestion

Post by miketv »

I just noticed the sportssuck.org store for the first time. What a great selection of books. I had no idea so much was out there.
I'd like to make a suggestion to add to the store: Our Guys by Bernard Lefkowitz.
It's the true story of how a town will rally behind its local athletes against all odds--including defending them in the gang rape of a mentally retarded minor.
It's the book that opened my eyes to the real dangers of sports worship, & I think it would make a great addition to the sportssuck.org library.
Earl

Re: book store suggestion

Post by Earl »

Thank you, miketv. :) I've heard of this book before. Actually, I even have a copy in my possession; but I've not read it because I know that it would probably cause me to have insomnia. I'm already struggling with a sleep disorder. I'll send an e-mail to Ray, who is the site admin, calling it to his attention and recommend that it be added to the store. Again, thanks.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

We don't get books like this over here in England. At least, none that I have ever seen. I don't know why this is - probably because sportsman worship is really only restrained to the highest-earning top league players and isn't a common feature of normal towns over here. Athletes in schools do tend to be more popular than usual students, but they don't seem to receive anywhere near as much prestige or priority over normal people as they do over in American high schools. It is a disturbing thing, really, how people can be viewed as idols just because they are good at playing games. What disturbs me even more is how this seems to put them above the law and make people want to sacrifice so much for them. Sports worship has gone too far in our society. Much too far, from what I've heard on these forums.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

miketv wrote:It's the true story of how a town will rally behind its local athletes against all odds--including defending them in the gang rape of a mentally retarded minor.
People are ants following chemical trails who haven't discovered what reason and ethics are.