I'm terrible at shopping for presents and I need your help!

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Safety
Sportsman

I'm terrible at shopping for presents and I need your help!

Post by Safety »

Okay, so, my friend's birthday is in a couple weeks and I still have no idea as to what I should get her. She asked for a Def Leppard t-shirt, but I know better than to get someone exactly what they asked for :P I want to get her something nice and pretty (something that a girl would like). I was thinking about getting her jewelry, but I don't want to get her something that would be a cliché. Here are a few things that she likes: Video games, playing the piano, drawing, top hats, monocles, and anime. I'm sure that there are a few things that I can't think of. Also, it needs to be something $50 or less, as I only have that much to spend.
"I hold that the parentheses are by far the most important parts of a non-business letter." - D. H. Lawrence
Earl

Re: I'm terrible at shopping for presents and I need your he

Post by Earl »

I hope I can help you ...

If you know what sort or what line of video games she likes and what games she already has, you could buy her one she doesn't already have. Of course, I'm sure that has occurred to you already.

Another obvious suggestion: If she likes to read fiction, a novel or short story anthology might be a good idea.

You say she likes playing the piano ... Perhaps she would like a CD of a concert performance by a professional pianist. A store that sells a wide assortment of CDs might be helpful in this regard.

You say she likes drawing ... Perhaps she would like arts supplies. A store that sells arts supplies or school supplies might be helpful.

You say she likes top hats and monocles ... In your vicinity is there a store that sells costumes and party supplies?

You say she likes anime ... If I didn't happen to be the father of two daughters, I wouldn't even know what anime is. Notable animated Japanese films include My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, and Spirited Away. There are others. I've actually enjoyed watching a few (upon the insistence of my daughters :wink: ).
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Safety
Sportsman

Post by Safety »

Earl wrote: You say she likes anime ... If I didn't happen to be the father of two daughters, I wouldn't even know what anime is. Notable animated Japanese films include My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, and Spirited Away. There are others. I've actually enjoyed watching a few (upon the insistence of my daughters :wink: ).
Yes, I forgot to mention that she's an avid reader as well. Her favorite book and anime (I think it's just a movie, but I'm not sure) is Howl's Moving Castle. Those are good suggestions, Earl. I'll try to find out more information without directly asking her and making it obvious that I'm searching for a birthday present.
"I hold that the parentheses are by far the most important parts of a non-business letter." - D. H. Lawrence
Safety
Sportsman

Post by Safety »

I bought her a piano.
Earl

Post by Earl »

:?

*Earl chuckles*

Tell us about this piano, please.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Safety
Sportsman

Post by Safety »

Earl

Post by Earl »

(I just clicked on the link you posted.)

Oh, it's a piano-shaped jewelry box. Perfect! Good choice! I think she'll like it. *thumbs up*

Problem solved.

Safety
Sportsman

Post by Safety »

Thank you. Her birthday's actually May 11, but I bought it a while earlier because she's moving soon and I know she'll absolutely refuse to tell me her new address. All she said was that she'll still be living at the same spot in 5-8 business days. I think it'll be a nice and pleasant surprise anyways. A couple things worry me about that gift though. The first thing being that it looks kind of small, and I wanted to buy her something that she could put a reasonable amount of jewelry in. There weren't any pictures comparing the item to a anything else. The second thing is that the tiny stick that holds the piano up (not sure what it's called) looks like it might break easily.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Hey Safety, you little shit!!!

You still owe me an apology for the time you said Galileo is down in Hell. :x :x :x

I don't see how an obnoxious little twit like you can possibly have a girl friend.

If she only knew what a scumbag you really are, she would tell you to hit the road Jack and don't come back!

You know? If we were both teenagers going to the same high school, my fondest wish would be to catch you alone after school and kick you in the balls so hard so that instead of playing in sports, you would be singing soprano in a girls choir!

I hope somebody kicks your can up into your brain-case so hard you'll have to take off your hat to shine your shoes!

So, you believe Galileo is down in Hell. Eh?

Tell me, do you also believe that the sun and all the planets revolve around the earth? Do you believe the earth is flat? Is that what your church going coach has been teaching all you jocks?

I bet you like to bully all the science students around, and you like to rip the pages out of their science textbooks!

It's a well known fact that most jocks who are bullies are bed-wetting ignoramuses who will never grow up!

What high school do you go to?

Let me guess! Jerry Falwell high, or Pat Robertson high?

Go fold a paper football.

That's probably all you know how to do!!!

YA MORON!!!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

I think you may have taken this a bit too far now, Fat Man. You've railed at Safety about six times since the Galileo remark now. That being said, a simple apology from Safety may be enough to put this demon to rest (at least for now, anyway)... surely it can't be too much to ask? Come on. Let's all try to get along. Otherwise I might be left with no choice but to impose some temporary bans. Oh wait... *checks his forum rank, with a hint of disappointment*... silly me. I think I've said too much. *silently sneaks out through a side door*

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Earl

Post by Earl »

A bit of overkill, perhaps; or is this just a big put-on? I personally think the purpose of Safety's comment about Galileo was to provoke Fat Man for the sake of entertainment, and it may very well be that Fat Man is playing along. Anyway, who cares what Safety said about Galileo? Does he carry a lot of weight? How significant is his silly comment in the scheme of things?

Fat Man, Safety is not what you seem to think he is. He's not even an athlete. He's just a slightly built teenager who asked me for tips on bodybuilding, just a kid who happens to be a sports fan. He doesn't seem to be intolerant of those who aren't sports fans. I'm sure he doesn't roam the halls at his high school tearing pages out of science textbooks.

Several of us seem to lack a sense of proportion.

Safety is not DrMenJele.

Andy is not Samdaman.

We're in trouble if we aren't able to see the difference.

So, once again I quote that late 20th-century sage Rodney King: Can't we just get along?

(Of course, flaming wars can be fun, I guess. Well, on second thought ...)

Earl

Post by Earl »

i_like_1981 wrote:Come on. Let's all try to get along. Otherwise I might be left with no choice but to impose some temporary bans. Oh wait... *checks his forum rank, with a hint of disappointment*... silly me. I think I've said too much. *silently sneaks out through a side door*
There is no need for you to silently sneak out through a side door, i_like_1981. Your sentiments are much appreciated. I happen to agree with you. But, hey, just sit back and watch the show. "Send in the clowns!" :lol:

(The preceding remark is not to be viewed as bitter or cynical, but is merely intended to be humorous.)

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Well, he did post a Darwin Valentine back in February which I accepted as an apology for his saying Darwin is in Hell.

But he still owes me a Galileo Valentine, and he still owes Galileo an apology!

And I'm going to be down on his case until then!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

Safety wrote:Thank you. Her birthday's actually May 11, but I bought it a while earlier because she's moving soon and I know she'll absolutely refuse to tell me her new address. All she said was that she'll still be living at the same spot in 5-8 business days. I think it'll be a nice and pleasant surprise anyways.
You know she won't tell you her new address? Why would a "friend" not tell you their new address? This sounds kind of creepy to me...just what's going on here? :?
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

Earl wrote:Safety is not what you seem to think he is. He's not even an athlete. He's just a slightly built teenager who asked me for tips on bodybuilding, just a kid who happens to be a sports fan. He doesn't seem to be intolerant of those who aren't sports fans. I'm sure he doesn't roam the halls at his high school tearing pages out of science textbooks.
Yeah, he seems very tolerant of us. I forget, sometimes, that he's a sports fan. Sure, he may not agree with us on all fronts, but I've yet to see him call us "fags" or "nerds" (and when did being gay or being a nerd become an insult?)
Fat Man wrote:And I'm going to be down on his case until then!
No. No you're not. Seriously, this is bordering on obsession. And it's getting annoying. How about sending a PM about it? One that doesn't involve a torrent of abuse? Asking someone to do something while swearing and insulting them doesn't make them want to do what you ask. Remember the rules, please.
ChrisOH wrote:You know she won't tell you her new address? Why would a "friend" not tell you their new address? This sounds kind of creepy to me...just what's going on here? :?
I think someone has a cruuush! :P
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!