Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden dead

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Lewis

Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden dead

Post by Lewis »

Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden has been killed by US forces in Pakistan, President Barack Obama has said.

The al-Qaeda leader was killed in a ground operation outside Islamabad based on US intelligence, the first lead for which emerged last August.

Mr Obama said after "a firefight", US forces took possession of his body.

Bin Laden was accused of being behind a number of atrocities, including the attacks on New York and Washington on 11 September 2001.

He was top of the US "most wanted" list.

Mr Obama said it was "the most significant achievement to date in our nation's effort to defeat al-Qaeda".

The US has put its embassies around the world on alert, warning Americans of the possibility of al-Qaeda reprisal attacks for Bin Laden's killing.

Crowds gathered outside the White House in Washington DC, chanting "USA, USA" after the news emerged.
Raid details

Bin Laden approved the 9/11 attacks in which nearly 3,000 people died, saying later that the results had exceeded his expectations.

He evaded the forces of the US and its allies for almost a decade, despite a $25m bounty on his head.

Mr Obama said he had been briefed last August on a possible lead to Bin Laden's whereabouts.

"It was far from certain, and it took many months to run this thread to ground," Mr Obama said.

"I met repeatedly with my national security team as we developed more information about the possibility that we had located Bin Laden hiding within a compound deep inside of Pakistan.

"And finally, last week, I determined that we had enough intelligence to take action, and authorised an operation to get Osama Bin Laden and bring him to justice," the president said.

On Sunday a team of US forces undertook the operation in Abbottabad, 100km (62 miles) north-east of Islamabad.

After a "firefight" Bin Laden was killed and his body taken by US forces, the president said.

Mr Obama said "no Americans were harmed".

Giving more details of the operation, a senior US official said a small US team had conducted the operation in about 40 minutes.

One helicopter was lost due to "technical failure".

Three other men were also killed in the raid, including one of Bin Laden's sons. One woman was killed when she was used as "a shield", the official said.

The size and complexity of the structure in Abbottabad had "shocked" US officials.

It had 4m-6m (12ft-18ft) walls, was eight times larger than other homes in the area and was valued at "several million dollars", though it had no telephone or internet connection.

The US official said that intelligence had been tracking a "trusted courier" of Bin Laden for many years. His identity was discovered four years ago, his area of operation two years ago and then, last August, his residence in Abbottabad was found, triggering the start of the operation.
'Momentous achievement'

Former US President George W Bush described the news as a "momentous achievement".

"The fight against terror goes on, but tonight America has sent an unmistakable message: No matter how long it takes, justice will be done," Mr Bush said in a statement.

His predecessor, Bill Clinton, said in a statement: "This is a profoundly important moment not just for the families of those who lost their lives on 9/11 and in al-Qaeda's other attacks but for people all over the world who want to build a common future of peace, freedom, and cooperation for our children."

BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner says that, to many in the West, Bin Laden became the embodiment of global terrorism, but to others he was a hero, a devout Muslim who fought two world superpowers in the name of jihad.

The son of a wealthy Saudi construction family, Bin Laden grew up in a privileged world. But soon after the Soviets invaded Afghanistan he joined the mujahideen there and fought alongside them with his Arab followers, a group that later formed the nucleus for al-Qaeda.

After declaring war on America in 1998, Bin Laden is widely believed to have been behind the bombings of US embassies in East Africa, a billion-dollar US warship, and the attacks on New York and Washington.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13256676

I hope this will be the end of Al-Qaeda. I'm glad justice has finally caught up with him.
Earl

Re: Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden dead

Post by Earl »

HOORAY!
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

FINALLY!!! THAT CAMEL FUCKER IS DEAD, AT LAST!

The Obama Administration succeeded where the Bush Administration had failed.

It's a known fact, that the Bush family had financial ties with the Bin Laden family. Of course, I have heard that the rest of the family wanted nothing to do with Osama anymore.

But, still . . . . . . .

It's probably why the Bush Administration really didn't try very hard to get the fucker!

I knew they would find him in Pakistan! I just knew it!

Back in 2001 or 2002, in some other political forum, I had speculated that the reason why they will never find Osama Trash-Bin Laden in Afghanistan, is because he had crawled up inside a camels ass, and had himself smuggled into Pakistan.

But I'm glad we finally got him!

Historical note:

It was on May 1,1945 when the allies announced the death of Hitler, and now, on May 1,2011 President Obama announced the death of Osama bin Laden.

You know, it's really too damn bad we couldn't have captured him alive, and made him our bitch!

But we can settle for the next best thing. We could dress him up in pink ruffled under panties and slip a burqa on him before sending his body back to his family for burial.

Yeah! He would still be our bitch, but only a dead one.

Now, I hope Pat Robertson croaks off real soon! He's now 81 years old. Time for him to take a dirt nap! It's getting way past his dead time!

We have our own Taliban here in the USA!
It's Pat Robertson's 700 Club!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Well, this evil, bloodthirsty man has finally got what was coming to him. In life he did nothing but bring fear to the lives of many people - he deserved nothing better than to "die by the sword". Let's just hope now that someone just as extreme and tyrannical doesn't take his place...

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

I had actually thought bin Laden was dead for quite some time (possibly since shortly after the U.S. campaign in Afghanistan began) and that the news might not have been announced for some security or tactical reason. I remember hearing that bin Laden suffered from kidney failure and would have needed dialysis, and I didn't understand how he received such treatment in mountain hideouts and caves. (This may or may not be an urban legend, there's a article on Snopes.com about it here: http://www.snopes.com/rumors/kidney.asp)

If indeed he were dead earlier but it was not reported, I thought the news would have been revealed as an "October surprise" in the election campaigns of 2004 or 2008 (to either get Bush re-elected or get McCain elected and keep a Republican in the White House).

It will be interesting to see what further details emerge, and if we'll ever know the "whole story." (For example, it's been reported now that bin Laden's remains were buried at sea by U.S. forces, in order to satisfy Islamic religious law of disposing of remains within 24 hours, while at the same time not putting any nation in the position of being the final resting place of the world's most hated terrorist -- so it may not ever be known about his true health status, for example).

In any event, it appears the compound where he was found and killed was within a few miles of a Pakistani military base, so there'll be some tricky issues there with Pakistan too, I'm sure.
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

Some great news to wake up to, certainly. :)

Although his hideout only being about 1000 yards from a military base with nobody suspecting anything is pretty... well, suspect in itself.
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

I heard that Osama Trash-Bin Laden was buried at sea.

If there are shit eating fish, then, they are having a nice meal.

I hope they ran him over a few times with the ship's propellers and ground him into MoHAMMAD burger.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

UPDATE!!!

One of my favorite YouTube users, Thunderf00t, who has created many videos on science, Astronomy, and Evolution, has produced the following video.

Osama bin Laden - Shot in Head!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbcgsGyN ... ure=digest
--------------------------------------------------
Uploaded by Thunderf00t on May 2, 2011

Yup, the man who really brought Islam onto the radar has been shot in the head and buried at sea.
--------------------------------------------------

No, it does not show Osama's body or him getting shot, it merely shows video clippings from NEWS broadcasts that we have already seen in the past.

So, there is no content that is inappropriate for these forums.

In the meantime . . .
FEAR THE BUNNY!!!