How does 5 minutes turn into 30 minutes?

This forum is dedicated to expressing how much football and soccer suck!
NotaFan

How does 5 minutes turn into 30 minutes?

Post by NotaFan »

I am a wife of a sports fan. If my husband says, "Give me five minutes." I'll ask, "Is that real time or football time?" How is it that the last five minutes of a football game can take a half hour if not more!?
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

Well, as I said in the general board, it's because it's so damn boring! :P
NotaFan wrote:I am a wife of a sports fan. If my husband says, "Give me five minutes." I'll ask, "Is that real time or football time?"
One acronym -- LOL! :lol:
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
abitagirl

Post by abitagirl »

I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to watch something that comes on after a football game, waiting endlessly for the stupid clock to run down, (2 minutes left? HAH!), then when it finally does, wait through the endless celebrating, and maybe THEN I can watch what I want, unless they have some dumb sports commentary program or whatever after the game ("He sure caught that ball real good, didn't he, Bob?" "Yes he did, Jim! Yuk yuk!" "He sure threw that ball really really far! Wasn't that something?" "Yep, sure was!"), all the while wondering if I will actually be able to watch whatever I turned the TV on for, or if they only show the last 10 minutes or something.

No, I don't actually watch all that, but I do flip to it frequently to see if it's over yet. :wink:
RaleighRob

Post by RaleighRob »

abitagirl wrote:...I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to watch something that comes on after a football game, waiting endlessly for the stupid clock to run down, (2 minutes left? HAH!), then when it finally does, wait through the endless celebrating, and maybe THEN I can watch what I want....
I know exactly what you mean. It has on more than one occassion messed up my recording of a program when I was gone. A VCR or DVR can't tell if a game goes over...so if a game goes more than 5 minutes over, it ruins the recording of the next show. Very frustrating.
Fitz301

Post by Fitz301 »

I'm convinced that television stations boost the signal on sports shows because on certain channels if the weather is bad enough that you get bad reception, even on cable, look at the dark areas of the screen usually where there blackness and you can see a game going on spilling over from another channel. Also, has anyone ever noticed that, no matter whether you have cable or the few that still use an antenna, the reception and sound is always better. And if you still use an antenna, that channels that you can't nomally get suddenly come in at least 50% better?

GOD I HATE SPORTS WITH EVERY FIBER OF MY BEING!!!

Fitz301 :twisted:
resolvent

Re:

Post by resolvent »

abitagirl wrote: wait through the endless celebrating,
THAT shit ought to be outlawed. That FUCKETY FUCK YAP crap that delays
even further our favorite television shows which follow a fucking football game.
That worthless post-game shit.
abitagirl

Re: Re:

Post by abitagirl »

resolvent wrote:
abitagirl wrote: wait through the endless celebrating,
THAT shit ought to be outlawed. That FUCKETY FUCK YAP crap that delays
even further our favorite television shows which follow a fucking football game.
That worthless post-game shit.

Tell me about it. I'm just sitting there, still waiting to watch what I turned the TV on for, which is being more and more delayed so they can show a bunch of morons jumping around and yelling, followed by morons in suits yakking about how well or badly a moron in a football uniform threw an oddly-shaped ball.

Morons.
Yes, it really is JUST A GAME.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Re:

Post by Fat Man »

abitagirl wrote:I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to watch something that comes on after a football game, waiting endlessly for the stupid clock to run down, (2 minutes left? HAH!), then when it finally does, wait through the endless celebrating, and maybe THEN I can watch what I want, unless they have some dumb sports commentary program or whatever after the game ("He sure caught that ball real good, didn't he, Bob?" "Yes he did, Jim! Yuk yuk!" "He sure threw that ball really really far! Wasn't that something?" "Yep, sure was!"), all the while wondering if I will actually be able to watch whatever I turned the TV on for, or if they only show the last 10 minutes or something.

No, I don't actually watch all that, but I do flip to it frequently to see if it's over yet. :wink:
Very good description of an after game commentary, but not quite 100% percent acurate.

It goes more like this . . . . .

"Duh! He sure did caught dat dere ball real good, didn't he. Bob?" - "Duh! Yeah! He sure did, Jim! Huh! Huh! Huh!" - "Duh! He sure throwed dat ball real far! Wasn't dat sumpthin'?" - "Duh! Dat sure was! Huh! Huh! Huh!"

There, I think I got it down pat!

Yeah, I have often seen how football games run over time, pre-empting the next scheduled program entirely, or sometimes they go to the scheduled program that is already in progress, and we only get to see the last 10 minutes of the program.

Back when O J Simpson went on his rampage, I was getting ready to watch 20/20 and they were going to talk about some new kind of flesh eating virus that was going around.

Well, I was really scared. I wanted to watch 20/20 to find out just how bad it was, or if it was contagious, a possible threat, and how to protect myself against it.

Then they had to interrupt the program to show the slow motion chase with police pursuing O J Simpson, and they covered the entire chase for over an hour. So 20/20 was pre-empted because some sorry-ass monkey-boy hopped up on steroids had to go on a rampage and slash a couple of throats.

I wish the cops would have just shot the fucker early enough so that 20/20 would have come back on the air, and I could have received the information I wanted concerning a possible threat to my health or even my life.

But NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Every time some monkey-boy goes on a Roid Rage induced rampage, all normally scheduled programming gets pre-empted so we all get to watch Monkey Boy perform his zoo-tricks on camera while evading the Po Po!!!

Ah yes! Don't ya just love it!!!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Lewis

Re: How does 5 minutes turn into 30 minutes?

Post by Lewis »

All of you should try to watch cricket, it makes watching paint dry look like an adventure.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Lewis wrote:All of you should try to watch cricket, it makes watching paint dry look like an adventure.
I prefer a nice little walk out in the desert, watching all the cactus grow.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

abitagirl

Post by abitagirl »

Fat Man wrote:
abitagirl wrote:Very good description of an after game commentary, but not quite 100% percent acurate.

It goes more like this . . . . .

"Duh! He sure did caught dat dere ball real good, didn't he. Bob?" - "Duh! Yeah! He sure did, Jim! Huh! Huh! Huh!" - "Duh! He sure throwed dat ball real far! Wasn't dat sumpthin'?" - "Duh! Dat sure was! Huh! Huh! Huh!"

There, I think I got it down pat!

Well, in my defense, I don't pay much attention to all that crap, so yes, it probably isn't that accurate. :wink:
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

abitagirl wrote:Well, in my defense, I don't pay much attention to all that crap, so yes, it probably isn't that accurate. :wink:
I don't pay much attention to that crap either, but I did once sit through a half hour commentary waiting for a program to come on, and then, it was pre-empted.

I really hate it when important NEWS programs, like 60 Minutes gets pre-empted, something that might have some useful information gets knocked off the air because of football wich is nothing but one very long . . . . .

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHH! HUH! HUH! HUH!

abitagirl

Post by abitagirl »

Wow, look who learned to spell overnight! Very good! *clap clap* Now isn't that a much better accomplishment than learning to throw a ball?
sports rox1234

Post by sports rox1234 »

Shut up.
abitagirl wrote:Wow, look who learned to spell overnight! Very good! *clap clap* Now isn't that a much better accomplishment than learning to throw a ball?
I think the worst time to have a heart attack is when you are playing a game of charades...or a game of fake heart attack.
abitagirl

Post by abitagirl »

sports rox1234 wrote:Shut up.
abitagirl wrote:Wow, look who learned to spell overnight! Very good! *clap clap* Now isn't that a much better accomplishment than learning to throw a ball?

Nice reply. Well, judging by some of your more recent posts, I can see that I spoke too soon anyway. Amazing how your spelling ability changes so drastically. Split personality? :lol: