Is this forum dying?

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Earl

Is this forum dying?

Post by Earl »

You tell me ... :? Is it curtains for this forum and this website? Considering the very low level of activity (except, of course, for the ever-present [expletive deleted] spammers :x ) ...

I wonder what happened to i_like_1981? :(

My best friend now happens to be a guy who played football in high school. His wife says I'm his best friend. Is this a sign of the times, or am I full of baloney? :? (Maybe both. :lol: )
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Earl

Re: Is this forum dying?

Post by Earl »

Let's break the tension with a little humor ...

EAT MOR CHIKIN

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Lewis

Post by Lewis »

The party faithful are still here, so its still got the lifeblood to keep it going. It should start to increase soon with the Rugby World Cup, and other things.
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

There definitely is less activity now, and I'm not entirely sure now, but hopefully the forum isn't going to die. Like Lewis said, we've still got our regular members posting, and that should be enough to keep the forum going. I hope i_like_1981 returns though, it is unfortunately a lot quieter without him.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Well, I'm discouraged by all the spammers.

Many of my topics on science, education, and political news gets pushed down toward the bottom of the page, or some of my topics gets spammed, and that is why a lot of my topics don't get any response from our regular forum members.

I'm pissed off, and I'm about ready to walk out on this forum because the spammers are taking over.

I notice that all the pro-sports forums don't get spammed.

That's because the pro-sports forums are all sponsored by the NFL and the NBA, very powerful sports organizations, and they in turn are controlled by the MAFIA.

Anything that makes money is controlled by the MAFIA, including Pat Robertson's 700 Club and all the other televangelists, and the Republican party, so, they are all working together to make it illegal to teach science in our public schools, and teach their creationist fairy tales instead, and to eliminate all nonathletic students and banish them from society.

I should know from personal experience.

Therefore, nobody dares to spam a pro-sports forum as they do at our anti-sports forum.

That's because, anyone who attempts to spam a pro-sports forum, their ISP numbers are tracked by the MAFIA, and their home addresses are tracked, and the spammers would come up missing, and most likely end up dead in some third world country nailed to a tree and their throats cut.

So, nobody spams a pro-sports forum.

But, it's much safer for them to attack our forum.

Now, I just know that this forum post is going to get buried under a ton of spam!

OK, if anybody thinks that what I have said is just some paranoid conspiracy theory from the tin-foil hat brigade, well . . . it is not!!!

Just follow the money!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

Earl wrote:You tell me ... :? Is it curtains for this forum and this website? Considering the very low level of activity (except, of course, for the ever-present [expletive deleted] spammers :x ) ...
My guess is that people may just be involved in other things. I don't expect to be active on this forum forever; in fact, I've cut my own activity back quite a bit just due to other concerns occupying my time. In my experiences with other forums, activity tends to ebb and flow over time.

I wonder what happened to i_like_1981? :(
His profile doesn't show any visits since the 5th of June (incidentally, his birthday was the last we heard from him), so he's not seeing any entreaties anyone makes for him to return to the forum. I do hope he's OK...has anyone tried to PM him? I will do so if he doesn't surface in the next day or so.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Yes, I really miss seeing I_like_1981.

When is he ever going to come back again?

I don't think this forum is dying.

I think the spammers are killing it!

Right now, I'm working on an article that I would like to post in OFF-TOPICS, but I'm not going to post it until the spam is removed.

But I just know that after I post my new article, it's going to get pushed down under a shit-load of new spam, and nobody is going to respond to it.

I'm tired of posting articles that get ignored, because it either gets spammed, or pushed down by the spam.

I hate these spammer punks! I would love to stomp them into the ground!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Brigan

Post by Brigan »

If there's noone to debate (either banned or not encouraged to write on this forum), then why wonder if it's dying. It's dead.
Fat Man wrote: So, nobody spams a pro-sports forum.

But, it's much safer for them to attack our forum.
Safe from what?

What's the point for spamming this forum? If it's dead. or nearly dying. There's no traffic here for them.
Unless you're dealing with crawling bots searching on the web for unsecured forums like this one. If it is... then they target with no discrimination.
Fat Man wrote: OK, if anybody thinks that what I have said is just some paranoid conspiracy theory from the tin-foil hat brigade, well . . . it is true!!!
Fixed.

Cheers.
i_like_1981 wrote:I respect a person who uses the knowledge they have of our language to come onto a forum with an opposing view and attempt to have a decent discussion. He's trying his best. Defend your points all you want, Fat Man, but it's unfair to insult his English skills when he's not a native speaker and is trying his hardest to communicate with us.
Earl

Post by Earl »

Hi, Brigan. As you can see, you've caught us at a bad time. I'm a bit rushed for time this afternoon; so, my response will have to be short, unfortunately.
Brigan wrote:If there's noone to debate (either banned or not encouraged to write on this forum), then why wonder if it's dying. It's dead.
Actually, in practice the forum policy has been quite tolerant, certainly in comparison to some other forums. The relatively few members I've ever banned as a moderator have been either trolls or abusive haters. But even with regard to the second category, other members have let me know that they don't want the haters to be banned. And I've actually defended sincere critics of this website. Now, with regard to being discouraged from writing in this forum, you've got something there. One or two members of this forum personally do have that attitude, but it's not forum policy.

Anyway, you're here. :) Unfortunately, though, I won't be here the rest of the afternoon. Have a good day. :)

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

Good evening Earl:

It's been a while since Brigan has posted anything here.

I've been going over his previous forum posts, and he has come back here primarily, just to harass me some more.

Well, I'm in no mood to ague with Brigan, so I'm not going to waste my time engaging in another forum dispute with a moron who's IQ is way down in the sub-zero range!

If he had a brain, he would have it bouncing up and down trying to shoot hoops!

Lewis

Post by Lewis »

Maybe people should start posting controversial posts, it will cause a response.

Anyway, I suppose it's down to the fact that it's summer, it should pick up around September or October.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

Lewis wrote:Maybe people should start posting controversial posts, it will cause a response.

Anyway, I suppose it's down to the fact that it's summer, it should pick up around September or October.
Yes, I have noticed that during holidays and summer vacation there isn't much activity on the forums.

But also, I have been discouraged by the spammers. Today I finally posted in the OFF-TOPICS and I thank you for your response to my latest political topic.

Just wait, though. It will get hit by the spammers later on this evening, or pushed down on the page by another shitload of spam.

Agent 47

Post by Agent 47 »

Is this forum dying? Well, here's my opinion.

Perhaps it's just that SportsSuck.org has just drifted a bit too far away from it's primary objective of being a sports hating website.

I mean, there's so many bullying topics on here these days, that potential new sports haters googling "i hate sport" and arriving on here, might easily assume that this is just some sort of support group for victims of bullying instead, and decide that this is not for them, and then simply leave and not join up.

So maybe it's all the bullying talk around here that's scaring potential new sports hating members away?

So how about making a separate new section just for people to talk about bullying issues in, if they want to?

So how about a new section called -

Sport and Nerd/Bullying Issues
When Recreation Becomes Toxic.

Perhaps between the Hockey, and Off-Topic sections?

That way, people would still get to talk about bullying issues if they wanted to, but then this primarily sports hating website wouldn't seem to be so broadly obsessed with bullying to new visitors that drop by, and then we might even get some new members on here.

Just a thought.
"We can’t find a healthy brain in an ex-football player."

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2873539.htm
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

Agent 47 wrote:Is this forum dying? Well, here's my opinion.

Perhaps it's just that SportsSuck.org has just drifted a bit too far away from it's primary objective of being a sports hating website.

I mean, there's so many bullying topics on here these days, that potential new sports haters googling "i hate sport" and arriving on here, might easily assume that this is just some sort of support group for victims of bullying instead, and decide that this is not for them, and then simply leave and not join up.

So maybe it's all the bullying talk around here that's scaring potential new sports hating members away?

So how about making a separate new section just for people to talk about bullying issues in, if they want to?

That way, people would still get to talk about bullying issues if they wanted to, but then this primarily sports hating website wouldn't seem to be so broadly obsessed with bullying to new visitors that drop by, and then we might even get some new members on here.

Just a thought.
Yes, I think that might work.

A separate section to discuss bullying issues, while all the other sections are for discussing why we hate sports, or the moronic behavior of sports fans who riot in the streets, and the jocks who commit violent crimes and get off with just a slap on the wrist.

Of course, for many of us, the bullying we had experienced in the past is our primary reason for hating sports.

But we also hate sports because, sports is boring, it often pre-empts our favorite TV programs, our schools place too much emphases on sports often at the expense of education, sports fans are morons, and jocks are over paid and over-privileged gutter-thugs.

So, you're right.

There are many other reasons to hate sports besides the bullying.

Yes, I think a separate section should be for discussing the bullying issues.

And I would even suggest adding another separate section to discuss education verses sports.

I think you're on the right track.

Of course, it's up to the moderators and the forum administrators to make the final decision on that, because making changes in a forum involves working on the HTML in the page sources.

Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

Agent 47 wrote:So maybe it's all the bullying talk around here that's scaring potential new sports hating members away?

That a good idea, actually.
Fat Man wrote:I think you're on the right track.

Of course, it's up to the moderators and the forum administrators to make the final decision on that, because making changes in a forum involves working on the HTML in the page sources.
Nah, we've got a system that allows us to add new boards and such without touching the HTML. Kind of confusing how to work, at first, but once you get it, it's a powerful tool.
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!