SHOULD I QUIT AS A MODERATOR?

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Earl

SHOULD I QUIT AS A MODERATOR?

Post by Earl »

Whatever you say ... :? :(
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Re: SHOULD I QUIT AS A MODERATOR?

Post by Fat Man »

Hmmm. . . . .

Should Earl quit as moderator?

Uh, most emphatically . . .

NO!!!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

Earl, what are you talking about? You're a valuable member of the team. You help out more than I do, and I'm the Forum Admin! What's brought this about?
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
Earl

Post by Earl »

No, I am not going to quit as a moderator of this forum. My apologies to both of you, Fat Man and Skul, and any other supporter of this website who may have read my OP. I was feeling extremely depressed when I wrote it. In other words, I had a moment when I should have stayed off the Internet, period. I am facing a combined health/spiritual problem in my life that, incidentally, has nothing to do with my type II diabetic condition (which seems to be under control). I've come to a turning point in my life; I'll either get stronger or weaker. The choice is mine, but the changes I need to make in my life will be difficult.

I was never dissatisfied with this forum, although I get frustrated from time to time with board messaging as a form of communication (which does have its disadvantages). Although I don't agree with every single statement posted by supporters of this website, I still strongly support the concept of a forum for those who have been alienated or even hurt by excesses of the sports culture (which, in my view, frequently manifests itself in acts of mindless intolerance that are condemned by seemingly only a few people). As far as I know, this website is currently the only one on the Internet that offers such a forum, as opposed to an unlimited number of sports websites. If this forum ever shut down, others would be deprived of an online voice. I've had mixed feelings about the Internet, but one of its blessings is that it's given a voice to those who previously were ignored or not allowed to speak out. A good example, of course, is people who were bullied or currently are being bullied in school. As a result, bullying is now an issue. An issue, no doubt, that some would like to put on the back burner again.

Skul, Fat Man ... thanks for your expressions of support. I'm definitely not quitting this forum. Again, my apologies. I was just feeling sorry for myself.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Lewis

Post by Lewis »

Earl, don't worry, I'm sure this is just a blip on the radar. You're a valued member of this community and you do a stellar job.

I hope you feel better soon. Maybe you should treat yourself with a new Stephen King book.
Earl

Post by Earl »

Lewis wrote:Earl, don't worry, I'm sure this is just a blip on the radar. You're a valued member of this community and you do a stellar job.
Thank you, Lewis, for the kind compliment. :)
Lewis wrote:I hope you feel better soon.
Thank you. I'm optimistic.
Lewis wrote:Maybe you should treat yourself with a new Stephen King book.
You're right. I should treat myself to something. I see you've noticed my references to Pet Sematary in the Board Games subforum. :lol: I'm afraid, though, that Stephen

is going to have to wait in line for a long time behind H. P. Lovecraft -- who, as you probably know, was the creator of the Cthulhu mythos.

H. P. Lovecraft

Cthulhu

You see, my daughters bought me a single volume containing all of his writings for my 61st birthday. (I'm still young in spirit. Besides, I work out at a health club and have the chest of a young man. 8) )

The book is 1098 pages long. I've resolved to actually read it -- instead of letting it sit on a book shelf collecting dust, as I've done before with many a book.

recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

Earl, don't quit as moderator. Please!

Although we've had our differences at times, you're a trustworthy individual, which is the most important attribute of a moderator, IMO. Sometimes I check on the site periodically, although I feel a bit awkward posting anything when i_like_1981 isn't posting anything.

--RF
Last edited by recovering_fan on Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Earl

Post by Earl »

Thank you, recovering_fan. :) Your compliment means a lot to me. 

I won't quit because there needs to be at least one website for people who are alienated by the sports culture.  Some of the members may make hateful comments from time to time, but this forum also has the potential to provide a means for others to grow.

I'm afraid we may never hear from i_like_1981 again.  In e-mail correspondence to me, he's indicated that he's gotten tired of board messaging in general.  He says he's tired of saying the same comments over and over and over again.  I can relate to how he feels.  Most people (including myself, admittedly, at least to a large degree) who post online are not searching for information or seeking insight, but are just speaking their opinions from minds that are already closed.  Perhaps after a while i_like_1981 may pay us a visit and post again, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

By the way, I've been posting frequently at your website (A2K) as wmwcjr; but most of my posts have been short and have not discussed anything serious (at least for the most part).

recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

Earl wrote:I'm afraid we may never hear from i_like_1981 again.  In e-mail correspondence to me, he's indicated that he's gotten tired of board messaging in general.  He says he's tired of saying the same comments over and over and over again.  I can relate to how he feels.
That's too bad.

I didn't appreciate him at the time, but one thing he did which never got old was to weigh in on acrimonious discussions like the one currently raging in Fit Man's thread. He would acknowledge the merits of both sides, give his own view, and above all else restore some sanity to the discussion.

But I'll say one thing, to spend too much time board messaging is a waste of his talents.

--RF
Millhouse

Post by Millhouse »

Earl wrote:
Lewis wrote:Earl, don't worry, I'm sure this is just a blip on the radar. You're a valued member of this community and you do a stellar job.
Thank you, Lewis, for the kind compliment. :)
Lewis wrote:I hope you feel better soon.
Thank you. I'm optimistic.
Lewis wrote:Maybe you should treat yourself with a new Stephen King book.
You're right. I should treat myself to something. I see you've noticed my references to Pet Sematary in the Board Games subforum. :lol: I'm afraid, though, that Stephen

is going to have to wait in line for a long time behind H. P. Lovecraft -- who, as you probably know, was the creator of the Cthulhu mythos.

H. P. Lovecraft

Cthulhu

You see, my daughters bought me a single volume containing all of his writings for my 61st birthday. (I'm still young in spirit. Besides, I work out at a health club and have the chest of a young man. 8) )

The book is 1098 pages long. I've resolved to actually read it -- instead of letting it sit on a book shelf collecting dust, as I've done before with many a book.
Leave it to me to notice things like this, but Stephen King has had MAJOR dental work done. Look at those perfect choppers!
greencom

Post by greencom »

Earl,
Please do not quit my friend, you're a large part of what makes up the "glue" that holds this tumultuous
forum together, I wish you strength in getting through your difficulties.
Earl

Post by Earl »

Thank you very much for the compliment and your concern, greencom. :) As you can see in the Penn State thread, I've been busy here in the last two days. (Makes me sick, though.)