Using children to fulfill vicarious fantasies

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
jockocaust

Using children to fulfill vicarious fantasies

Post by jockocaust »

I was thinking about something that I have observed for years >>> Grown men who "own" little league teams. First of all, why do they OWN them? If it was only "for the kids," then why not just set up the teams without these "mini quasi-franchise owners??" I mean, REALLY, that's kinda crazy.

I have also observed that the parents of the kids are very reluctant to criticize THE OWNER of the team, simply because he IS the owner. It's the "oh I'm soo selfless" or "martyr card" (to coin a term) that many people play. Now the posters in this forum are well above average intelligence and are probably well aware of the downside of human psychology.

Aren't these "little franchise owners" really just using the kids to fulfill THE FANTASY of being a big-time owner of a "big league" franchise? Wouldn't that at least be part of the motivation behind this "ownership" of a children's team? I admit that I'm in a little bit of a cranky mood, as my Christmas didn't go too well this year. However, I still must ask the obvious question.....

as a society.... ARE WE NUTS!!!!!!!!!!???????????
Ray
Site Admin

Re: Using children to fulfill vicarious fantasies

Post by Ray »

jockocaust wrote:I was thinking about something that I have observed for years >>> Grown men who "own" little league teams. First of all, why do they OWN them? If it was only "for the kids," then why not just set up the teams without these "mini quasi-franchise owners??" I mean, REALLY, that's kinda crazy.

I have also observed that the parents of the kids are very reluctant to criticize THE OWNER of the team, simply because he IS the owner. It's the "oh I'm soo selfless" or "martyr card" (to coin a term) that many people play. Now the posters in this forum are well above average intelligence and are probably well aware of the downside of human psychology.

Aren't these "little franchise owners" really just using the kids to fulfill THE FANTASY of being a big-time owner of a "big league" franchise? Wouldn't that at least be part of the motivation behind this "ownership" of a children's team? I admit that I'm in a little bit of a cranky mood, as my Christmas didn't go too well this year. However, I still must ask the obvious question.....

as a society.... ARE WE NUTS!!!!!!!!!!???????????
I think that sometimes we are. Almost anything can become accepted through familiarity and the failure of individuals to stand up against injustice. I think that some little league team sponsors may have their heart in the right place and do it just to "give back" but there are plenty of jerks who are all wound up in "their" team.

I Hope We Lose!