Nephew's football practices

This forum is dedicated to expressing how much football and soccer suck!
ChrisOH

Nephew's football practices

Post by ChrisOH »

My 8-year-old nephew decided he wanted to try youth football this year. My sister-in-law told me that he has practice FOUR days a week -- three weeknights and a Saturday morning. That seems like a heck of a lot of practices for a team of 8-year-olds!

Granted, it's summer vacation now, and hopefully, this will be scaled back somewhat once school starts, but given how sports are being emphasized more and younger and younger ages nowadays, I wouldn't count on that. I was reading somewhere online a while back (might have even been on this site, can't recall for sure) a couple of things about middle-school and high-school sports:

1) Studies have shown that preteens and teens retain only a very small portion of what they learn before 9:00 a.m., yet the average junior-high or high-school day begins around 7:30 a.m. Why? To make time for afternoon sports practices.

2) The average school sports practice last two to three TIMES as long as the average academic class (which, at least at my high school, were often "taught" by coaches*, meaning there wasn't much academics to start with).

Kind of shows where our country's emphasis lies, IMO. :(

*There were a few exceptions to this -- I had a few real teachers who were not only excellent teachers, but great role models as well. But -- they were swimming against the tide, and they knew it.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Re: Nephew's football practices

Post by Fat Man »

ChrisOH wrote:My 8-year-old nephew decided he wanted to try youth football this year. My sister-in-law told me that he has practice FOUR days a week -- three weeknights and a Saturday morning. That seems like a heck of a lot of practices for a team of 8-year-olds!

Granted, it's summer vacation now, and hopefully, this will be scaled back somewhat once school starts, but given how sports are being emphasized more and younger and younger ages nowadays, I wouldn't count on that. I was reading somewhere online a while back (might have even been on this site, can't recall for sure) a couple of things about middle-school and high-school sports:

1) Studies have shown that preteens and teens retain only a very small portion of what they learn before 9:00 a.m., yet the average junior-high or high-school day begins around 7:30 a.m. Why? To make time for afternoon sports practices.

2) The average school sports practice last two to three TIMES as long as the average academic class (which, at least at my high school, were often "taught" by coaches*, meaning there wasn't much academics to start with).

Kind of shows where our country's emphasis lies, IMO. :(

*There were a few exceptions to this -- I had a few real teachers who were not only excellent teachers, but great role models as well. But -- they were swimming against the tide, and they knew it.
Only 8 years old???

Well, at that young age, with their frail bodies, I hope it's only Touch Football instead of Tackle Football. But, probably not!

If a kid want's to get into sports, I think that at that young age, either basketball or baseball would be safer.

Of course, I prefer no sports at all. But then, that's just me.

Well, I guess the USA has decided we don't need academics anymore, especially since the Republicans want to gut education because they hate science and they want to force Creationist Fairy Tales into our science classes.

But then, we can always import well educated nerds and techno-geeks from overseas to keep our lights on and the wheels turning.

And if some kids in school are no good at sports, well . . . after they graduate from high school, they can always get a job flipping burgers or scrubbing toilets. Right?

Oh gee wiz!!!

There I go being cynical again!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

Fat Man wrote: Only 8 years old???

Well, at that young age, with their frail bodies, I hope it's only Touch Football instead of Tackle Football. But, probably not!

If a kid want's to get into sports, I think that at that young age, either basketball or baseball would be safer.

Hello Fat Man!

Unfortunately, your hope isn't fulfilled -- it's indeed tackle football. The team was supposed to start practice with pads this week.

My father-in-law played football in high school and still has knee-related pain associated with various injuries and wear-and-tear caused by football --and he's 68 years old! He's having treatments now for football injuries suffered 50 years ago!

Pretty much the same story from most guys I know who played football in school -- many nagging injuries, aches and pains, and I haven't known of anyone who's claimed playing football helped their physical health or conditioning at all.

Same goes for other sports -- baseball, a pitcher's arm is pretty much ruined from the stress on the joints; basketball, foot, ankle, and knee problems; and hockey, missing teeth, facial fractures from flying pucks, etc.

Sports fans will, of course, argue that the athletes get fit from the practices they do for the sports. I would counter, though, that there are many ways of improving one's health that are far less risky than sports.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

ChrisOH wrote:
Fat Man wrote: Only 8 years old???

Hello Fat Man!

Unfortunately, your hope isn't fulfilled -- it's indeed tackle football. The team was supposed to start practice with pads this week.

My father-in-law played football in high school and still has knee-related pain associated with various injuries and wear-and-tear caused by football --and he's 68 years old! He's having treatments now for football injuries suffered 50 years ago!

Pretty much the same story from most guys I know who played football in school -- many nagging injuries, aches and pains, and I haven't known of anyone who's claimed playing football helped their physical health or conditioning at all.

Same goes for other sports -- baseball, a pitcher's arm is pretty much ruined from the stress on the joints; basketball, foot, ankle, and knee problems; and hockey, missing teeth, facial fractures from flying pucks, etc.

Sports fans will, of course, argue that the athletes get fit from the practices they do for the sports. I would counter, though, that there are many ways of improving one's health that are far less risky than sports.
OH SHIT!!!

Tackle football at only 8 years old?

That is way too much for frail young bodies!

It's a well established scientific medial fact that underdeveloped bodies at such a young age can suffer permanent injuries, but then, many Americans reject scientific facts because they believe in creationist fairy tales!

Yeah, they probable believe that JEEEEEEEZZZZZUUUSSSSSSS is going to protect these small children from severe injuries and they'll all grow up to be athletic super-stars like the Biblical Sampson, or some shit like that!

Uh huh! We all remember what happened to Sampson who did all his thinking with his little head instead of his big head, assuming that he actually existed, which most likely didn't, like all the other mythical heroes in the BUY-BULL!

WHAT IN THE SON-OF-A-BITCHING MOTHER-FUCKING HELL IS THE MATTER WITH THESE ATHLETIC COACHES!

You know, I still suffer from mental illness as a result of having my head bashed against a brick wall by a 5th grade teacher who didn't want me to check out astronomy books from a school library, and I still have nightmares as a result of being beaten and raped by an older man when I was 17 years old.

I'M STILL FUCKED UP IN MY HEAD BECAUSE OF ALL THE MOTHER-FUCKING BULLSHIT I HAD EXPERIENCED SO MANY YEARS AGO.

And when I hear more about this shit, it still triggers off some really bad memories.

I think any athletic coach who would make 8 year old children play tackle football, he ought to be taken out to the town square and beaten to death with lead pipes!

Then his body should be burned, and his ashes flushed down the toilet in front of all his relatives!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Earl

Post by Earl »

I'm reminded of a TV show I once saw on a cable channel that I chose at random in a round of "channel surfing" one night in the 1990s. Well, actually, I missed the first part of the show, which was a documentary that dealt (at least in part) with the relationship between a father and his teenage son. The father was a former college football player, and his son was playing football in high school. (The channel may have not even been a sports channel. I don't remember.) They seemed to have a good relationship. The father was encouraging his son to play football and was serving as a sort of mentor, and the son was eager to please his father and make him proud.

This sounds quite ordinary and wholesome, but there's more to the picture. The father was in his early 50s; he may have even been only 50 years old. I don't remember exactly. But he had a horrible case of arthritis and walked like an old man. He even trembled. He may have even been walking with a cane, but it's been so long since I saw the show that I don't remember. His arthritis was the result of injuries he had sustained while playing football.

I was intrigued by this situation. Here the boy's father was leading him down the primrose path to possibly incurring permanent injuries by playing a game. For some reason I couldn't feel scornful towards the father perhaps because he seemed to have a loving attitude towards his son, and I certainly didn't feel scornful towards the boy. But I did wonder what was going on in his mind. Surely he had to have been aware that he was taking a risk playing football. Not that I'm knocking those who choose to participate in this school sport. That's their right and their choice. I was just wondering if he ever thought that he could end up like his father with his health ruined.

At the time I was watching this show, I also remembered reading in a local daily about another father who had played professional football. He had a son of his own, but would not allow him to play football. His health had been ruined by injuries he had sustained over the years playing football, and he was adamant that his son not incur the risk of the same thing happening to him.

Decades ago, one of the former two dailies that served the Houston/Galveston area carried a syndicated column written by a medical doctor whose last name was Solomon. In one of his columns, he said the human body was not designed for playing football.

I can't help comparing football with bodybuilding, which admittedly is unfair since the two physical endeavors are two different activities. In other words, the former is a sport while the latter is a sort of exercise program.

My physical trainer has placed a lot of emphasis upon my doing the exercises (both free weights and machine) properly; in other words, with the proper form. This is done for two reasons: (1) to be sure that the targeted muscles are exercised instead of other muscles, and (2) to prevent injury. "No pain, no gain" doesn't seem to be the prevailing philosophy. Of course, after a good workout I experience muscle soreness. But that is to be expected and, in fact, is desired. After all, bodybuilding is about breaking down muscle tissue and giving it time to be rebuilt. The sort of pain on my part that would concern my trainer would be a sharp pain, which would indicate that I might receive an injury to a joint. In other words, bodybuilding is quite safe if the exercises are done properly.

Again, I'm not denigrating any guy who plays football; but I am saying that in some sports there doesn't seem to be enough concern about injuries that can ruin one's health. People who get upset with this website seem to believe that sports is the best way to get into shape. That's not necessarily so. :)
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

Fat Man wrote: Yeah, they probable believe that JEEEEEEEZZZZZUUUSSSSSSS is going to protect these small children from severe injuries and they'll all grow up to be athletic super-stars like the Biblical Sampson, or some shit like that!

Uh huh! We all remember what happened to Sampson who did all his thinking with his little head instead of his big head, assuming that he actually existed, which most likely didn't, like all the other mythical heroes in the BUY-BULL!
Hello Fat Man!

I was thinking you were Jewish, or at least attended a synagogue. Or perhaps you do, but it's not one that takes the Old Testament as literal truth? (I've known of several Jewish people and congregations like this.)

I could have you confused with someone else, so please correct me if I'm wrong!

As for Samson, I think the Hebrews may have had a tribal leader by that name, but most of the stories about him seem like obvious exaggerations. Most likely it's a morality play in which Samson played the "tragic hero" or "antihero" type, as he was guaranteed invincibility if only he would lead the "holy" life, but instead blew it on the "wine, women, and song" lifestyle. (You're right, his story and downfall DO seem to mirror many big-name athletes of today!)
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

ChrisOH wrote:
Fat Man wrote: Yeah, they probable believe that JEEEEEEEZZZZZUUUSSSSSSS is going to protect these small children from severe injuries and they'll all grow up to be athletic super-stars like the Biblical Sampson, or some shit like that!

Hello Fat Man!

I was thinking you were Jewish, or at least attended a synagogue. Or perhaps you do, but it's not one that takes the Old Testament as literal truth? (I've known of several Jewish people and congregations like this.)

I could have you confused with someone else, so please correct me if I'm wrong!

As for Samson, I think the Hebrews may have had a tribal leader by that name, but most of the stories about him seem like obvious exaggerations. Most likely it's a morality play in which Samson played the "tragic hero" or "antihero" type, as he was guaranteed invincibility if only he would lead the "holy" life, but instead blew it on the "wine, women, and song" lifestyle. (You're right, his story and downfall DO seem to mirror many big-name athletes of today!)
Well, here lately I've been leaning more toward being agnostic.

But yes, the story of Sampson, even though it's probably a myth, dose serve as a valuable object lesson about thinking with your big head instead of your little head.

And of course, my favorite part of the fable was when he killed a thousand Philistines with the jawbone of an ass.

Now that I believe!

Because, even today, when some moronic politician gets up to shoot off his big mouth, and declares war, millions of people end up getting slaughtered by the jawbone of an ass!

Oh! By the way! The Republican party is proof positive of evolution, because we now see elephants with jawbones of an ass!

ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

Bumping an older topic to the top...

My 8-year-old nephew has been playing tackle football, and the family is impressed with his "new-found confidence" since starting football. My other nephew (other sister-in-law) is six and played youth hockey the past couple years, and wants to play baseball next year. Again, the family is impressed with "sports skills" as well.

One one hand, I want to be supportive of the nephews, but it's also a reminder of how I didn't do very well at sports when I was younger. I was kind of hoping the nephews would be non-athletic (or at least non-interested!) so I wouldn't have to be reminded of this. Is this selfish and nasty of me? Just feeling kind of conflicted about it right now.

On the "confidence" issue, I remember when I was in grade school, I had plenty of self-confidence, as I excelled academically. It wasn't until I got into junior high and high school that I had any issues with confidence, when many of my classmates began to show talent at sports and I didn't.

Any thoughts on whether sports build confidence in young people? I in no way wish to start any fights with my in-laws over it, but feel I need to be ready to speak up for the "other side" (non-athletes) when these kind of comments are made or my opinions are solicited.
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

I don't know what advice to give on that Chris, since I'm still rather young. Earl might be able to offer better advice, although he had daughters, not sons.

What I would say, though, is this: at present, the important fact is that the kids have found something they're good at and can enjoy and take pride in. There's nothing wrong with taking pride in something one is good at, even if the activity happens to be a sport.

The time when you would have to speak up for "the other side" is if they ever start making derogatory comments in your presence about non-athletic acquaintances at your school -- comments that suggest they are making the non-athletes feel small. That may never happen, but you may want to ask yourself now how you would respond if it ever did. Or not, because like I said it may never happen, and after all this is your family we're talking about.

But for now, sports seems to be a positive for them, and they're playing it -- not turning into couch potatoes watching it. So I don't see that it's a problem.

Cheers,
RF
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

I haven't been posting much here lately because I've been busy on my YouTube channel. I now have 107 Playlists. Also, I have been helping out a couple of fellow YouTubers who requested that some videos they made be mirrored on your own channel.

OK, I'm getting off topic here for a little while . . . . . . .

. . . . . because what I have to talk about is another example of bullying, not in school this time, but in another arena, on the Internet, in this case, on YouTube, and this one is not between the athletic and the nonathletic, but rather, between intellectuals and the bullying from anti-intellectual religious fundamentalists attempting to have some YouTube videos censored that are produced by those of us who support science education.

So, that's what I have been doing. Helping some fellow YouTubers by mirroring some videos for them on my channel.

What happened was that potholer54, another YouTube user who makes educational videos on Evolution, well . . . every year he makes a video for possible nominees for the Annual Golden Crocoduck Award, an award that is given to the Creationist who makes the stupidest comments and the most grievous errors in science.

Well, his latest video for this years Crocoduck Nominee was removed from YouTube, so he sent out copies of his videos to friends so they could mirror if for him, and on these channels where the video is mirrored, they have also requested that other users mirror the video on their own channels.

So, that's what I have been doing. I have joined in on the fray, and helping some of my fellow YouTubers by mirroring some videos at their request, which involves downloading the videos to save on my computer's hard drive, and then uploading them to my channel and adding the description and the tags.

It's fun helping out those who support science education.

What happened was,potholer54 got into some trouble over his video. The person who is this years nominee for the Crocoduck Award, this time a young female Muslim Fundamentalist instead of the usual male Christian Creationists, she got all upset, filed a false DMCA claim against it, and she and her other Muslim friends and sympathizers had the video flagged as hate speech.

OK,potholer54 NEVER made any hateful comments against her or against Islam. These guys who put up their educational videos on science have never made hateful comments against any religion or any person of any religion. NO! All they have done was made fun of some of their Creationist beliefs while pointing out the errors in their beliefs when compared with science.

To do a parody or satire of someone's video is not hate speech. Some of their beliefs are so silly and stupid they should be held up to ridicule. Sorry, but if you believe, for example: that the earth is flat, or if you're a geocentrist, then you're going to get ridiculed.

And yes, there are some geocentrists out there on YouTube who believes that the sun and planets and everything out there revolves around the earth.

So, every year, these idiots get nominated for The Annual Golden Crocoduck Award!!!

Well, this young Muslim lady, she owns a business in cosmetics, and on her videos she gives advice on skin care, and all kinds of make up and beauty tips. Then one day she decides to make a video attempting to tackle science and Darwin's Evolution, so she's now this years possible nominee for the Annual Golden Crocoduck Award!!! Sorry honey, but you really should just stick to giving tips on nail polish!!! OK???

Then another fellow YouTuber, WildwoodClaire1 (Coffee With Claire) put up her own video criticizing this young Muslim chick for her behavior of filing false DMCA claims to have some videos by potholer54 censored.

But then, her latest videos was taken down for "hate speech" when all she did was call this Muslim chick Amenakin a moron and a cry baby when she was nominated for this years Crocoduck Award.

OK, WildwoodClaire1 did not attack Islam, she only made fun of this young lady, doing a parody of her because of her recent behavior.

Doing parodies and satires is NOT hate speech, therefore it is allowed.

Here is a link to my playlist.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BigFatHeret ... 77C2FCC066

Annual Golden Crocoduck Awards

PLEASE! I appeal to all my fellow YouTubers who happen to support science education to MIRROR the first four videos in order to help another another fellow YouTuber, Potholer54, who has been subjected to some false DMCA claims filed by some right-wing religious funny-mentalist retard against one of his videos. A moronic Moslem Barbie, user name, Amenakin, has filed a false DMCA claim against Potholer54 which resulted in one of his videos being removed from his channel. She is a possible nominee for the Annual Golden Crocoduck Award, and she has also had bestowed upon her, The Dim Bulb Lifetime Achievement Award! So, please do visit Amenakin's YouTube channel at - http://www.youtube.com/user/amenakin - And be sure to congratulate her on receiving her Dim Bulb Lifetime Achievement Award, and also, being nominated for the upcoming 2011 Annul Golden Crocoduck Award! Tell her, Big Fat Heretic sent you! OK? Thank you! Once again, please be sure to go to her YouTube channel at - http://www.youtube.com/user/amenakin

And here are the videos I have mirrored on my channel to help out two other fellow YouTubers, potholer54 and also WildwoodClaire1 (Coffee With Claire) after her video was taken down, thanks to some moronic crybaby chick, Amenakin crying boo hoo with her false DMCA claims and false flagging a video as "hate speech" when nothing hateful was said, only some ridicule for here childish beliefs.

MIRROR - Dim Bulb Lifetime Achievement Award!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46EHaMD_mEI

Uploaded by BigFatHeretic on Sep 16, 2011
--------------------
Originally uploaded by WildwoodClaire1 (Coffee With Claire) on Sep 15, 2011

Quote: "A massively moronic Moslem Barbie has filed DMCA notices against Potholer54 and me for having the temerity to point out that she is a brainless buffoon who knows about as much about evolution and Charles Darwin as one of my famous fatassed cats. Stick to make-up tips, Sugar Britches! I hope all my viewers will take the opportunity to stop by Amenakin's channel to congratulate her on her award." End Quote

By all means, please do go to the following link below to congratulate Amenakin on winning her Dim Bulb Lifetime Achievement Award!

http://www.youtube.com/user/amenakin

PLEASE! I appeal to all my fellow YouTubers who happen to support science education to MIRROR this video in order to help another another fellow YouTuber, Potholer54, who has been subject to some false DMCA claims against one of his videos.

Thank you!

Big Fat Heretic

----------------------------------------

MIRROR - Salute to creationist women! - From potholer54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy5qZb_H99o

--------------------
Originally uploaded by XandarsMeteor on Sep 15, 2011

POTHOLER54 HAS BEEN FALSE DMCA'D PLEASE SUPPORT HIM :

http://www.youtube.com/user/potholer54

The person who attacked potholer54 :

http://www.youtube.com/user/Amenakin

Original Desciption :
Here is the next nominee for this year's coveted Golden Crocoduck. Sorry, but the science that's explained in this video is so simple I can't even source it.

If women find this video embarrassing, don't worry, you're still vastly outnumbered by men when it comes to spouting unscientific bullshit in the public arena!

By the way, Fair Use. Look it up!

PLEASE! I appeal to all my fellow YouTubers who happen to support science education to MIRROR this video in order to help another another fellow YouTuber, Potholer54, who has been subject to some false DMCA claims against one of his videos.

Thank you!

Big Fat Heretic

MIRROR - Stop whining! From potholer54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW9RfRIgVqE

--------------------

Let's do this again, shall we?

POTHOLER54 HAS BEEN FALSE DMCA'D PLEASE SUPPORT HIM:

http://www.youtube.com/user/potholer54

The person who attacked potholer54 :

http://www.youtube.com/user/Amenakin

Original Desciption:

Here is the next nominee for this year's coveted Golden Crocoduck. Sorry, but the science that's explained in this video is so simple I can't even source it.

If women find this video embarrassing, don't worry, you're still vastly outnumbered by men when it comes to spouting unscientific bullshit in the public arena!

By the way, Fair Use. Look it up!

Thank you!

Big Fat Heretic

--------------------------------------------------

MIRROR - A Very Special Dim Bulb! (Includes Potholer54 mirror)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNraNsvqoNg

Uploaded by BigFatHeretic on Sep 17, 2011
--------------------

Quote: "This is the original video uploaded by WildwoodClaire1 earlier this evening. I do not have the original description, but I'm sure you can find it if you keep looking. Hell, all I can see in my subs activity is this video and the two from potholer54 that started the whole thing. I just keep laughing as more and more people join in the important battle for free speech and LAWFUL use of other YouTubers' videos." End Quote

***Uploaded by WildwoodClaire1 on Sep 15, 2011

Quote: "A massively moronic Moslem Barbie has filed DMCA notices against Potholer54 and me for having the temerity to point out that she is a brainless buffoon who knows about as much about evolution and Charles Darwin as one of my famous fatassed cats. Stick to make-up tips, Sugar Britches." End Quote

*** (WWC1's notes from latest video where she removes content in question.)

By the way, Fair Use. Deal with it!

Thank you!

Big Fat Heretic

--------------------------------------------------

Notice, none of these videos attack the Islamic religion. It's only mentioned in passing that Amenakin happens to be a Muslim.

Also, these videos are not meant to be an attack on women either.

It's only stated, that now, for the first time, a female Muslim is being nominated for the Annual Golden Crocoduck Award, where as, in the past, the winners of the award have all been Fundamentalist Creationist Christian males.

I would compare Amenakin to being a female Muslim version of VenomFangX a male Christian Fundamentalist who had filed false DMCA claimes, crying boo hoo to YouTube because short segments of their videos were used by other YouTubers.

Yesterday, when I went to Claire's channel, it looked like it was taken down, all the comments, the avatar, and links to all her videos, just a blank screen, nothing but black.

I went back to her channel about an hour later, and she had put up a featured video on her channel page, but everything else was still gone.

My YouTube friend WildwoodClaire1 (Coffee With Claire) had created a video in reaction to what's been going on, because she's now disgusted with YouTube and their policies. When her "Dim Bulb" video was taken down after it had been flagged as "hate speech" they didn't even bother to review the video first before making their decision.

Anyway, here is the video that Claire put up in reaction.

Hate Speech
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJESpNVco0w

Uploaded by WildwoodClaire1 on Sep 17, 2011

The message should be intuitively obvious, but in case you need an explanation: One of my videos was flagged for "hate speech" because it made fun of the intellectual limitations of a vapid, vacuous skin-care products and makeup pimp. Since much of my work on YouTube has involved humorously pointing out that idiots are in fact idiots, I can only conclude that my work has largely consisted of "hate speech." YouTube is a strange world in which real world hatemongers can blithely flaunt loathsome, febrile nonsense but where a bit of fun cannot be had with a science illiterate if she dons scarf and wimpers "I am a victim," especially if her videos are bringing in ad revenue to YouTube. Personally, I look forward to the day YouTube crashes and burns as a commercial enterprise. I for one will dance and spit all over its lonely, unmourned grave.

The video does not have any speech in it at all.

First it shows a white screen with text that says . . .

Recent events have led me to conclude
that this MAY be acceptable "free" expression
under YouTube Communiticy Guidelines

And all you hear is white noise like static, and then an old style Test Pattern appears like they had back in the 1950s when most people had only black & white TV and along with that annoying high pitched tone that accompanies the Test Pattern.

Well, I have been sending her private messages supporting her and telling her not to give up.

This evening I just check up on her channel, and almost everything is back up again on her channel page. So, she has restored it.

What she had done yesterday was a reaction to all the false DMCA claims made against a couple of her videos.

But now, almost everything is back up again on her channel, and she will continue making videos, and her weekly Coffee With Claire videos that we all love so much.

Anyway . . . . .

A word of WARNING!

To file a false DMCA claim, you do so under the penalty of perjury, and you can get up to five years for that.

Anyway . . . . . . .

The YouTube members who put up science videos on Evolution are getting bullied around by both Christians and Muslim Fundamentalists trying to censor videos through false flagging, vote-bots, massive down-thumbing campaigns, and filing false DMCA claims.

But we are fighting back!!!

And I'm happy to be a part of it.

Claire and I, we have been communicating with each other through private messages, and I have been getting private message from other fellow YouTubers thanking me for mirroring these videos.

Anyway . . . . . . .

BACK GETTING ON TOPIC AGAIN!!!

OK, suppose I were a parent and I had a son who wanted to play in sports.

Well, I would rather it was not football because of the risk of severe injuries. I would prefer if it were basketball instead.

But, whatever sport he chooses, I would instruct my son, that just because he's a school athlete, that it does not make him superior to nonathletic students, and if I ever hear of him bullying the nonathletic students in his school, I would have him pulled off the team if he persists.

Also, I would insist that he do his homework assignments and keep up his grades in his academic subjects, and if I see that his grades are falling off, then again, I would have him pulled off the team, because I believe academics is more important than sports.

I would not want my kid to be just another dumb jock, especially one who's a bully.

I won't abide anything like that.

recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

Fat Man wrote:Well, I would rather it was not football because of the risk of severe injuries. I would prefer if it were basketball instead.
Good point. With our increased understanding of how concussions work, I wouldn't want my own son playing tackle football. I'd stear him towards baseball, basketball or tennis, instead. I think even Colin Cowherd has said he wouldn't let his kids play tackle football, although it was over a year ago that I last watched SportsNation, so I can't recall for sure.
Earl

Post by Earl »

ChrisOH wrote:One one hand, I want to be supportive of the nephews, but it's also a reminder of how I didn't do very well at sports when I was younger. I was kind of hoping the nephews would be non-athletic (or at least non-interested!) so I wouldn't have to be reminded of this. Is this selfish and nasty of me? Just feeling kind of conflicted about it right now.
I don't think you're being "selfish and nasty." I know how you feel. It's perfectly natural. You feel like they've joined an enemy camp. Quite likely I'd feel the same way. At least to a degree. You'd be mean only if you derided them for participating in sports; but, no, I don't think your conflicted feelings mean that you're selfish. Relax! You're human. :)

But you need to remember how they will turn out is not predetermined. A lot depends upon the values that are taught to them by their parents, not to mention their coaches. If I were you, I'd want to find out about the coaching philosophy of their coaches, both now and as they progress in their repective sports with new coaches. If their coaching philosophy is similar to that of coaches such as Joe Ehrmann and Biff Poggi, you have nothing to worry about. (Incidentally, Ehrmann just published a book in which he presents his coaching philosophy. He wrote InSideOut Coaching: How Sports Can Transform Lives in conjuction with his wife Paula and Gregory Jordan. I ordered an autographed copy which I intend to resume reading this week. This book might be helpful to you. Granted, I haven't read it yet; but it looks quite promising. Hey, a thought just occurred to me. The members of your book club could read and discuss it. :) ) On the other hand, if your nephews' coaches subscribe to machismo, you could have a problem in the long run.

You should be supportive of your nephews. Your support is a way to show you love them. If they know you support them, they won't think less of you simply because you weren't athletically inclined when you were a kid. Another reason you should be supportive is so you will be able to have an influence in the way they grow up and develop their own attitudes. They won't listen to you if they feel alienated from you. But I don't think that will happen. In other words, you need to keep the lines of communication open.
ChrisOH wrote:On the "confidence" issue, I remember when I was in grade school, I had plenty of self-confidence, as I excelled academically. It wasn't until I got into junior high and high school that I had any issues with confidence, when many of my classmates began to show talent at sports and I didn't.

Any thoughts on whether sports build confidence in young people? I in no way wish to start any fights with my in-laws over it, but feel I need to be ready to speak up for the "other side" (non-athletes) when these kind of comments are made or my opinions are solicited.
Of course, sports builds confidence in kids who are good at playing them, just as (for example) learning to play a musical instrument builds confidence in kids who have musical ability. It's not the sports. Sports are not unique in this regard. It's the praise for doing well that builds confidence. LIkewise, ridicule for not doing well at a particular activity undermines confidence.

As far as nonathletes are concerned, there are many examples of nonathletic men who have made great contributions to mankind or have shown great courage in terrible situations. A sport is an extracurricular activity, not a test of manhood. Your brothers and sisters-in-law as the parents of your nephews might benefit from reading Joe Ehrmann's book as well. Of course, you (and I) need to read it before we recommend it to anyone; but like I said, it might be helpful.
recovering_fan wrote:I don't know what advice to give on that Chris, since I'm still rather young. Earl might be able to offer better advice, although he had daughters, not sons.
Thank you. :)
recovering_fan wrote:What I would say, though, is this: at present, the important fact is that the kids have found something they're good at and can enjoy and take pride in. There's nothing wrong with taking pride in something one is good at, even if the activity happens to be a sport.
I agree.
recovering_fan wrote:The time when you would have to speak up for "the other side" is if they ever start making derogatory comments in your presence about non-athletic acquaintances at your school -- comments that suggest they are making the non-athletes feel small. That may never happen, but you may want to ask yourself now how you would respond if it ever did. Or not, because like I said it may never happen, and after all this is your family we're talking about.
Well put, recovering_fan. This could be a problem, though, especially in a sport like football. I'm referring to the culture associated with the game. I'm not saying that merely tossing a football around is a cause of anything bad. A childhood friend of mine who played football when he was in high school recently told me that most of his teammates had looked down on all the nonathletic guys at their school. SportsGuy92, a formerly active member of this forum who was a high-school football player, said that many of his teammates referred to nonathletic guys at their school as "fags." (Now, that truly is rich, considering the fact that there have always been homosexual men in competitive team sports, including football. :roll: When will people ever learn the facts?) The sad fact is that a boy who shows no interest in sports in our sports-saturated culture is likely to be bullied for that very reason. So, your nephews may be exposed to that sort of bigotry expressed by some of their teammates.
recovering_fan wrote:I think even Colin Cowherd has said he wouldn't let his kids play tackle football, although it was over a year ago that I last watched SportsNation, so I can't recall for sure.
Pardon my ignorance, but who is Colin Cowherd?
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

Colin Cowherd?

He's a guy I brought up in this forum about 11 months ago, although I've forgotten why...
I think, because he was openly bashing "nerds" and "sissies" on his sports comedy show.

He has this show on ESPN2 that is sort of a comedy show.

He plays a jerky frat-boy-jock type, and he's in his forties. His schtick is mostly for laughs -- not to be taken seriously.
(Like I said, though, I haven't watched the show in over a year.)
Earl

Post by Earl »

Why does this remind me of racist jokes? Colin Cowherd and David Duke should get together. Perhaps they could have a duet.

That sort of "humor" results in kids being bullied, and for no good reason. No wonder I have such a low opinion of the sports media, which is not a jouralistic institution. Par for the course ...

Incidentally, if Michael Vick had raped a young woman instead of mistreating and killing dogs, the sports media wouldn't have cared. There certainly wouldn't have been the big fuss made by the media hypocrites.

Oh, that jerk (namely, Colin Cowherd) has kids? (Oh, wow, what a great father he must be! You know, teaching moral principles and all.) Yeah, his sons are probably school bullies. Truly, someone to look up to!

I'd like to see if Colin Cowherd could have faced down Nazi SS and Hungarian Arrow Cross men as Wallenberg did. He wouldn't have lasted a day. Of course, we all know Wallenberg was a "sissy" because, after all, he didn't like competitive team sports. To get closer to home, how many of the Freedom Riders and civil rights marchers during the early 1960s were football players or other athletes? And some people wonder why (despite mindless stereotyping and hateful comments on "our" side with which I disagree) I still support this website ...

recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

Earl wrote:That sort of "humor" results in kids being bullied, and for no good reason. No wonder I have such a low opinion of the sports media, which is not a jouralistic institution. Par for the course ...

Oh, that jerk has kids? (Oh, wow, what a great father he must be! You know, teaching moral principles and all.) Yeah, his sons are probably school bullies. Truly, someone to look up to!
The worst part about his show is that I really believe 12 year-old kids take it seriously. You know how it goes: one young jockling looks at another and says, "well, yeah Joe it's funny; but after all, he's right!" They don't know Cowherd's act is just an act. After all, why should it be just an act? Political commentators say outrageous things and expect to be taken seriously, so why shouldn't ESPN expect kids to do just what Uncle Colin tells them, or think just as he tells them to think? :roll: