Am I Selfish?

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
recovering_fan

Am I Selfish?

Post by recovering_fan »

In a recent thread I posited that a number of us would probably prefer that sports didn't exist.

Is that selfish? Should we learn to be more selfless, and tune in religiously every Sunday to watch football, carefully taking down the names of all the products that appear during commercial breaks, in order to handsomely patronise the companies that pay those wonderful people to make millions and millions of drooling fans happy?

Here's what I think. Selfishness is natural. It's natural for me to imagine a perfect world in which professional sports do not exist. I would prefer that world, because our value system would be totally different. We would have productive members of society for heroes rather than people who either play games or train to play games all day. There would be more of an emphasis on cooperating to meet common goals, and we could drop the win-at-all-costs-and-devil-take-the-hindmost philosophy that prevails today.

Each of us should strive to reshape society to fit his/her own preferred aesthetic. It's selfish, but it's natural. Some of us are just honest enough to admit to our selfishness, while others are so delusional that they can't.
Brigan

Re: Am I Selfish?

Post by Brigan »

recovering_fan wrote:In a recent thread I posited that a number of us would probably prefer that sports didn't exist.

Is that selfish? Should we learn to be more selfless, and tune in religiously every Sunday to watch football, carefully taking down the names of all the products that appear during commercial breaks, in order to handsomely patronise the companies that pay those wonderful people to make millions and millions of drooling fans happy?
Noone's telling you should do that, also people that DO like that are not drooling fans, That however It's called being prejudice over people that like something you don't like.

Hell I don't like Country music or blues, That doesn't make the people that love them be stupid or any other calification I could come up with. It's a matter of taste.

My family believes in Christianity while I'm an atheist, and I totally respect them. Hell I don't even want any religion to exist, but then again... noone's forcing me to take a Path I don't want to. and while It stays that way I have no problem on whether a thing exist or doesn't exist.
Last edited by Brigan on Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i_like_1981 wrote:I respect a person who uses the knowledge they have of our language to come onto a forum with an opposing view and attempt to have a decent discussion. He's trying his best. Defend your points all you want, Fat Man, but it's unfair to insult his English skills when he's not a native speaker and is trying his hardest to communicate with us.
Fit Man
Sports Bore

Post by Fit Man »

Yes, it's extremely selfish to want to abolish something that you don't like. Millions of others DO enjoy sports, and it's selfish to care for only yourself above all others.

This is an irrefutable fact and I cannot see how it CAN'T be construed as not being selfish. Also, the "drooling sports fan" comment was priceless. Way to go man.

Seriously though, if you don't like something, don't participate. You're just as bad as the people who don't want to legalize gay marriage just because they are gay and it "bothers" them. You're not gay? Well cool, don't marry a gay person. You don't like sports? Then don't participate in sports. But let those who are gay and who do like sports do what they enjoy. It would be absolutely selfish to try to take that away from somebody just because you don't enjoy it yourself.
Earl

Post by Earl »

Recovering_fan, in my opinion, you're needlessly putting yourself in an extreme sort of either/or situation at your expense. I say this not to criticize, but to defend you.

You can be selfless without becoming a football fan. I don't consider myself to be selfish, but I've never had any desire to participate in a sport as an athlete or attend any sporting events or watch any on TV. Decent athletes don't care if someone isn't interested in sports. They just want to be treated with the sort of respect that everyone else is entitled to receive as fellow human beings. (Of course, the jerk athletes have a completely different attitude.) See what I mean when I say that you've needlessly placed yourself in an extreme either/or situation?

I don't think simply imagining a perfect world without professional sports is selfish, unless this preference is manifested in real life by a contemptuous attitude expressed towards individual athletes one may happen to meet (regardless of their character) -- in other words, expressing prejudice instead of respecting others.

Recovering_fan, I don't believe you're really selfish. Perhaps you're being too hard on yourself. When there are different views or opinions, many times the situation is not "either/or"; sometimes there are more than two positions to take. Don't know if that makes sense.

Brigan, I honestly don't think recovering_fan is being envious or jealous. The problem I have with many of the sports fans who defend negative aspects of the sports culture or deny that they even exist is that they impugn the motives of those who object to the misconduct of individual athletes with comments such as "You're just jealous" or "The only reason you're badmouthing athletes is because you weren't good at sports." I don't know whether to laugh or sneer.

I had the misfortune to grow up with a former university football player who was an insufferable, arrogant bully. Two years after we had all graduated from high school, I asked my best friend at the time if he had heard of him; and I told him that the football player was a bully. I had attended the same elementary school, junior high, and high school as the player; my friend, who had gone to different schools in the district, had never even met him. Despite the fact that we were close friends, my friend said, "That's not true." He refused to believe that I was telling the truth. I suspect he was brainwashed by the local sports media.

You're a native of Portugal; right? You may not be as familiar with culture in the U.S. When I grew up in Texas (which is one of the States, just in case you didn't already know), nonathletic boys who had no interest in sports were viewed as effeminate or sometimes even suspected of having homosexual tendencies. Nonathletic boys were called "sissies" and regarded as wimps. The situation really doesn't seem to have changed. Nonathletic boys are likely to be bullied. So, there is intolerance.

Young nonathletic boys, even before they reach their teens, receive messages from the culture at large saying that they are not "real" boys and are unmanly if they choose to not participate in a sport. This message can be internalized as self-hatred. I know of what I speak because I, in fact, had this experience. I was actually made to feel guilt simply for not having an interest in something, and I mean sports. Whenever I went to a department store and saw the sporting goods section, I would feel ashamed because I wasn't good at a sport; but the problem was that I never had an interest in any sport. I had been a typical boy, except I didn't like sports (or westerns). Aside from that, I was traditionally masculine. (And as a 57-year-old man I took up bodybuilding.)

It wasn't until I was in my early twenties that I was finally able to tell myself, Why are you still ashamed because you never participated in sports? You never wanted to participate. So, stop feeling ashamed about it!

When I was a boy, there seemed to be a social divide between athletic and nonathletic boys. When a childhood friend of mine made the football team, he seemed to turn his back on me. Our relationship today is that of mere acquaintances.

When I was a teenager, I was not jealous of athletic guys. I resented them not because I envied them, but because I believed they looked down on me as supposedly being inferior. As a matter of fact, my former childhood friend to whom I just referred admitted to me in an e-mail that he sent to me about two years ago that most of his teammates had looked down on all the nonathletic guys at their school as being inferior. A formerly active member of this forum who was playing football at a parochial high-school (SportsGuy92) stated in a post without prompting from any of the other members that many of his teammates regarded the nonathletic guys at their school as "fags." Nonathletic guys who become aware of this rotten attitude, which is not exactly concealed at times, don't become jealous as a result; they become resentful, just as someone who is disparaged because of his race or ethnicity resents people who manifest that sort of prejudice.

Today I have several close friends who played football in high school. One of them even played at a university. I'm touched that they have a high opinion of me, even though I'm a nonathlete.

Fit Man, you're an interesting character; and I mean that in the good sense of the word.

Remember, I am 61 years old. Today I'm amazed to hear individual athletic guys express sympathy towards gays. There was a time when "jocks" were considered to be the leading enemies of gay guys. When I was a teenager, the popular expectation was that if you were a teenage boy who was gay, you could expect members of your high school's football team to give you a beating. Hey, when I was a teenager, guys would be bullied even if they were merely suspected of being gay -- which would mean that if they were simply different, they were in trouble. Needless to say, I think this was unjust, stupid, and disgraceful.

I'm reminded of a time during the early 1970s when a gay friend of mine, who was a college or university instructor, told me that he had been assigned to tutor some of the athletes. He was terrified at the prospect they might find out he was gay. (By the way, he was not effeminate; in other words, there was nothing outward about him that indicated he might be gay.) Anyway, he later told me there had been no trouble. In fact, he thought very highly of them and seemed to be protective of them, in a way. I didn't press him for details; but I suspect that they had been academically shortchanged in high school -- you know, victims of "social promotion." He was saddened that they had had to receive remedial tutoring.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

Brigan wrote:I wouldn't take it as Selfishness, I think It's more inclined towards being Envy (spelt?) or Jelousy
Really? The "You're just jealous" accusation?

I can understand that from a mindless Samdaman but not from you. (Guess who I quoted that line from with a small edit)
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

HugeFanOfBadReligion wrote:
[b][color=#FF00FF]Brigan[/color][/b] wrote:I wouldn't take it as Selfishness, I think It's more inclined towards being Envy (spelt?) or Jelousy

I can understand that from a mindless Samdaman but not from you. (Guess who I quoted that line from with a small edit)
Good evening HugeFanOfBadReligion:

Yes, I concur.

Jealous of some moronic monkey-boy who smells like the inside of a fisherman's boot with an IQ less than his shoe size???

Hey Brigan who are you trying to kid?

Jealous of some drooling moronic slope-headed, slack-jawed, mouth-breathing, stooped-shouldered, knuckle-dragging baboon with shit-for-brains???

YEAH RIGHT!!!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Brigan

Post by Brigan »

Brigan wrote:I wouldn't take it as Selfishness, I think It's more inclined towards being Envy (spelt?) or Jelousy

My bad for not quoting it right, I also said It's inclined to jealousy not that he is, Then I gave proper reply to the rest, seems I skipped quoting on why It seemed like Jealousy.

Edit: Seems I misread your OP in the first place.

I only read this "in order to handsomely patronise the companies that pay those wonderful people to make millions"

I have corrected my post acordingly, I apologize for the remark.
i_like_1981 wrote:I respect a person who uses the knowledge they have of our language to come onto a forum with an opposing view and attempt to have a decent discussion. He's trying his best. Defend your points all you want, Fat Man, but it's unfair to insult his English skills when he's not a native speaker and is trying his hardest to communicate with us.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Brigan wrote:

My bad for not quoting it right, I also said It's inclined to jealousy not that he is, Then I gave proper reply to the rest, seems I skipped quoting on why It seemed like Jealousy.

Edit: Seems I misread your OP in the first place.

I only read this "in order to handsomely patronise the companies that pay those wonderful people to make millions"

I have corrected my post acordingly, I apologize for the remark.
Yeah Brigan, we all know!

Well, it's too fucking late!!!

We have quoted your original comments.

Sorry, but you can't put the tooth paste back inside the tube.

You can't un-ring a bell.

Well, anyway . . . . . I'm probably going to take a couple of days off from posting anything here, but I will check in to see if any new comments are posted.

But, in the meantime . . . . . I'm going to be working on my YouTube channel.

Big Fat Heretic
http://www.youtube.com/user/BigFatHeretic#g/p

ImageEVOLUTION! Doing My Part To Piss Off The Religious Right!
BigFatHeretic's Channel

I will be favoring lots of videos this evening to my Playlists.

I now 75 Playlists on my channel on science, astronomy, physics, paleontology, geology, evolution, and on the controversy between Evolution Vs Creationism.

Also, I'm presently subscribed to 150 other channels, and I have made 64 friends.

But I only have 9 subscribers, probably because I don't have very many Uploads. I'm not able to create my own videos yet until I can afford a decent video camera.

Of course, next month I'm going to get a good microphone and than I can make some videos with still photos and text and add some background music or introductory music.

At least, I can do that much until I can save up for a video camera.

The education I was suppose to get in high school, I'm now getting from YouTube.

My only source of scientific knowledge is either books I can check out from public libraries, but here lately, the libraries here in El Paso have not been ordering very many new books, due to cuts in funding, and I can not always afford to buy new books. But then, I'm getting a lot of really good information from watching YouTube videos on science.

Anyway . . . . .

For the next couple of days I'm going to be busy working on my YouTube channel.

It's a pleasure listening to more intelligent people, a refreshing break from the harassment I have been getting from some of the sports-tards here on these forums.

Catch ya all later.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Brigan

Post by Brigan »

so what? not like I'm denying my mistake. unlike you.

I'm even admiting it on my Edited post.

Also It's never late to assume one is wrong and apologize.
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

Earl wrote:Recovering_fan, I don't believe you're really selfish. Perhaps you're being too hard on yourself. When there are different views or opinions, many times the situation is not "either/or"; sometimes there are more than two positions to take. Don't know if that makes sense.
Here's the thing Earl. I think people use the word "selfish" in different ways. Just like many Ayn Rand fans see it and use it in a positive sense, so do I.

But my idea of selfishness in very broad. It doesn't necessarily mean acting or thinking in a way that benefits only me, for example. After all, sometimes my self-interest and yours go hand in hand, right? So I could act in a way that benefited both of us, and technically I could still be acting "selfishly." I could act out of complete charity, and make the world a better place by feeding the homeless, and I could still, in a sense, be acting "selfishly" because I'm acting in accordance with *my* ideals--with what *I* think is right. I'm creating the world *I* want to see.

Likewise, when I cheer on Fat Man as he takes athletes down a peg, I'm cheering him on for "selfish" reasons. You see, by taking sports down a peg and attempting to sap athletes of their undeserved sense of superiority, Fat Man is helping make the world more like I want the world to look.

(I haven't had time to read all the posts in this thread yet. I'll do so tomorrow--promise.)
Earl

Post by Earl »

You're okay in my book, Brigan. :)
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Fit Man
Sports Bore

Post by Fit Man »

Recovering Fan, Fat Man has ever taken an athlete down a peg. So I don't see how you can "root" for something that never happens. He acts like an angsty teenager with with views. Also, you're selfish through and through. To want to abolish something that so many other people enjoy, it's selfish. No two ways about it. I urge you to address my post in its entirety and refute what I've said.

Fat Man. Youtube? Are you FUCKING serious? Youtube is notorious for being filled with angsty teenagers who try to express their views on religion because it's "edgy" and "cool". They also do it simply for the sake of rebelling. Additionally, youtube comments are notorious for being the lowest of the low. Even worse than 4chan. Yes, 4CHAN is a better place to learn religion than youtube.

If you really want a true, intelligent discussion, you should go to an astronomy internet forum, or any likewise thing you're interested in. Not youtube.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

Fit Man wrote:Recovering Fan, Fat Man has ever taken an athlete down a peg. So I don't see how you can "root" for something that never happens. He acts like an angsty teenager with with views. Also, you're selfish through and through. To want to abolish something that so many other people enjoy, it's selfish. No two ways about it. I urge you to address my post in its entirety and refute what I've said.

Fat Man. Youtube? Are you FUCKING serious? Youtube is notorious for being filled with angsty teenagers who try to express their views on religion because it's "edgy" and "cool". They also do it simply for the sake of rebelling. Additionally, youtube comments are notorious for being the lowest of the low. Even worse than 4chan. Yes, 4CHAN is a better place to learn religion than youtube.

If you really want a true, intelligent discussion, you should go to an astronomy internet forum, or any likewise thing you're interested in. Not youtube.
Before you pass judgement, take a look at my Playlists! I have selected from the best channels, and not just any channel put up by some dumb kid.

The Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism, by AronRa for example: who happens to have a degree in Paleontology, and also a lady in her 50s named Claire who has a degree in Geology. She has studied for 6 years in a university.

No, these are not just punk kids!

Yeah, there are a lot of punks, like some spoiled rotten punk from a rich family who lives up in Toronto Canada who goes by the user name VenomFangX. He's one of those Christard Funny-mentalist punks who almost went to jail for filing false DMCA claims in an attempt to get some of the evolution channels shut down.

But the videos I have selected for my Playlists are produced by well educated people, most who have university degrees.

Also check out Edward Tarte, and ex-Catholic priest and retired math teacher in his 70s who became an atheist after he left the church.

I also have science videos by Richard Dawkins, a professional scientist who lives in the UK. Richard Dawkins is to the UK what Carl Sagan was to America.

Obviously not just punk kids!

You don't know what the fucking Hell you're talking about.

You're just a punk who's barely out of diapers yourself! Maybe you should put 'em back on!

So, fuck off!!!

recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

Fit Man wrote:I urge you to address my post in its entirety and refute what I've said.
:lol:

Which one? Most of your posts have been boring and unoriginal. I have little interest in anything you have to say. Your type of character is the absolute worst in my experience. You repeat your initial remarks over and over again, and usually those weren't anything you yourself thought up; they were someone else's bullshit ideas. I have absolutely no patience for people like you who can't think for themselves and just repeat what they hear other people saying. Your original thread title ("Fat Man should get some exercise") was probably something you cribbed from 4chan or E.D.

Here's lookin' at you kid!

recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

I am issuing an advisory on Fit Man.

Go to his Profile page. Hit "Add Foe." Ya' won't see him any more.

It's what I'm now going to do.

--RF