Thank you for this forum! (my thoughts)

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
antisportsgal

Thank you for this forum! (my thoughts)

Post by antisportsgal »

I decided to do a search for other people with similiar view points as mine own this morning and came upon this site. I thought I was the only one (besides my mother and sister) that felt this way about sports. I never have gotten the point or fun out of it. I rather be watching a movie or reading a book. Though, everyday I am faced with being a minority irl with not liking sports. What brought my sudden urge on for looking for other people that felt the same way about sports? It was a conversation with my best friend.

My best friend and I were having a conversation about the Super Bowl. I am forced to watch the thing because of my job. I so am not looking forwardin sitting through a game that holds no interest. I expressed to my best friend that I found it a waste of my time. I knew he was teasing me with what he said next, but it kind of got me to think. He said I was a freak for not liking sports. He doesn't get how I could not like sports. Everybody does, in his view. In this world, I felt like I was the only one that feels that sports have no point most of the time.

The sad thing is that I attend a community college that has dorms and has several sports team. Why is this sad? Well, I am a resident assistant in the dorms. I am the only non-jock RA in the dorms. So, I am faced with activities that are sports related most of the time. Though, they hired me to represent those students who aren't on the sports team so activities are more "balanced." I cringe the last couple of years when Super Bowl time rolls around because I am forced to help plan and attend a party that holds no interest in me. They figure everybody would want to attend a Super Bowl party. Not me...not ever, but I hold these thoughts back because of fear of being critized. Oh, I got yell at last year for missing the party by "accident."

Another point that annoys me is that I have to be visual at meal times for the most parts. I like to watch tv during meals, but 90% of the time the tv in the lounge is tuned into some game. All the jocks are gathered around the tv like it is a fire. I am so sick of watching the damn game while I am eating, but I hold back my thoughts in fear of being critized.

As far as my job is concerned, I am a team player. (No pun intended) I realized that sports come with the territory, but it seems I do more work than the other RAs do. Even when I am not on duty, I have to help people out. I have no car, so I am stuck on campus. It means everybody comes to me. I get stuck a lot of the time with being the only RA around while the others are away for practice or a game. On top of it, the other RAs base their schedule on their sports' games and practices. As well, they cater to them as far as letting them get out of class. Three absences is the norm for most classes, but they allow them to miss class beyond that for away games. Hell, it is considered a class to be on a sports team and they get CREDIT for practicing.

To worsen this, this last Christmas break I left for break a little bit early as well as came back a couple days later. Well, they had me do a few extra errands so I could do so. I got pissed off when I found out that the two of the jocks could leave early and they had to do NOTHING. Oh yes, they had to come back a few days early and they had to be on duty when they came back, but I saw this as unfair. I had to work extra errands to leave early and come back later, but the jocks didn't have to do anything besides a couple extra duties. I feel like I do extra duties every damn day!

Oh believe me, I feel like voicing the way my view points. I jokingly did once and the others snorted and got teased about the things I like. Sports just have no point to me, but I am fine with other people liking sports. They can like sports as much as they want because I know I like things that other people don't like. Though, I don't like having sports thrust down my throat. I get chided for liking the things I loike and am not considered normal because I don't like sports.
Detroitsportsfan08
Sports Bore

Re: Thank you for this forum! (my thoughts)

Post by Detroitsportsfan08 »

Not liking sports is fine, and you seem to have a less extreme viewpoint than most here on the topic.

However, you're taking people's criticism for not liking sports too seriously. They're likely just messing with you.
Ray
Site Admin

Post by Ray »

Welcome! Thanks for taking the time to express the frustration that most of us feel. I feel the same way. I don't care if other people like sports but please don't classifiy me as strange, weak, or gay just because I don't like sports!

Oh -as you can see, Detroit Sports Fan is not one of us -he's our resident troll. Please excuse his boorish behavior.

Again, welcome and please visit us again.

I Hope We Lose!
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

Welcome to the forum!

I'm in the same boat as you and Ray. It's like, "You like sports? Okay, fine. By the way, I don't... oh, I'm alienated, now. Alrighty..." :roll:
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
RaleighRob

Post by RaleighRob »

Welcome to the site.

It does sound like there's a bit of discrimination issues here...treating you as if your interests aren't as important because they're not sports-related, and also having a double standard where your non-sports reasons for absences or leaving work early isn't as relevant. :roll: I'd really like to hear how college officials can justify that. Especially seeing as you say your college is a community college, and thus (I'm assuming) supported by the taxpayers---including us non-sports fans. :?
antisportsgal wrote:I am a resident assistant in the dorms. I am the only non-jock RA in the dorms. So, I am faced with activities that are sports related most of the time. Though, they hired me to represent those students who aren't on the sports team so activities are more "balanced."
Just out of curiosity, what type of sportsless activities have you put on for this balance? I certainly hope those students appreciate that you're there for this reason! 8)
blackdog4444

Post by blackdog4444 »

Greetings! I know how you feel with the whole "being criticized for hating sports" thing. It's practically an alien idea in my school where there's absolutely no sense in any direction or command given. I find the "rough, 'boys should act this way'" attitude that many sports, especially football, have given to their title. I also hate the disorderly conduct and the conformism that occurs within and/or outside any sports game. It's sad to think that someone would want to sacrifice intelligence for some brute's idiot festival just to fit in or whatever their intentions are.

Of course, the "kids" in my school have to ask how do I do so well when they're doing so horrible. Wait.. oh my god.. I say... "I DON'T FIDDLE AROUND LIKE AN IDIOT WHEN THE WORKS IN THE WAY - which includes rotting away watching 'da steelers and da awsum cubs when dey r ownin' ass'." Then I go with a question such as: "Perhaps you should take such a serious thing seriously? Maybe you want a job other than working at Wal-Mart or McDonalds?" It stuns them everytime. :roll:
Detroitsportsfan08
Sports Bore

blackdog, you take life way too seriously.

You're in 8th grade, lighten up a bit. Be a kid while you can.
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

Welcome to sportssuck, it's nice to get something off you're chest huh? :D
Most of us have never shown interest in sports and most likely never will, so you'll feel right at home here.
Detroitsportsfan08 wrote:blackdog, you take life way too seriously.

You're in 8th grade, lighten up a bit. Be a kid while you can.
Yeah, we all know you're as mellow as they get. Still looking for converts? Keep looking and good luck. :lol:
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
abitagirl

Post by abitagirl »

Welcome!

It's always a mystery to me why sports bores can't accept that not everybody likes sports. :roll: I hope you survived the Super Bore this year. I had to watch that thing once too, about 8 years ago, I think? Most boring (???) hours I ever spent. (Just how long is that thing anyway?) It's amazing how many people get together to go nuts over a couple of teams that a lot of them probably don't even care about the rest of the year.

Incidentally, I heard there was some rioting after the game. Freaks.
Yes, it really is JUST A GAME.
Detroitsportsfan08
Sports Bore

Man, some of you lack basic reading comprehension skills. I've stated over and over that not liking sports is ok, and that I'm not trying to convert anyone. What I disagree with is your guys views on many, many different points.

I'd also like to add that sports don't need any new fans, as shown by the massive TV ratings the Super Bowl got, and the overall popularity of sports in general.
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

Detroitsportsfan08 wrote:Man, some of you lack basic reading comprehension skills. I've stated over and over that not liking sports is ok, and that I'm not trying to convert anyone. What I disagree with is your guys views on many, many different points.

I'd also like to add that sports don't need any new fans, as shown by the massive TV ratings the Super Bowl got, and the overall popularity of sports in general.
Lol, I like you man you're entertaining. Next time I'll remember to go back to elementary school relearn how to read but not before writing two research papers for two of my college courses after all you don't need to able to READ to WRITE two RESEARCH papers eh? Thanks for the advice, buddy. Superbowl? When did that happen? Oh yeah the Sunday that just passed, silly me I totally forgot about it. Just like every year. =)
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

Thank God, for a website that shares my feelings. That is wrong that jocks are given special treatment, just because they can catch a ball. You should complain about the special treatment.
TheSmoke

Sports Suck!

Post by TheSmoke »

Life is too precious and short to waste it on nonproductive sports!
The Stupid Bowl - LOL when was that on? I don't even know who played who :D
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Detroitsportsfan08 wrote:I'd also like to add that sports don't need any new fans, as shown by the massive TV ratings the Super Bowl got, and the overall popularity of sports in general.
That's only for the time being.

But more and more of us are coming to our senses, and our numbers are increasing. We are getting tired of the stupidity of sports. Too may housewives and mothers are tired of becoming football widows as their husbands ignore them during football season.

Students in our schools are getting sick and tired of being bullied around by the jocks and they're tired of the school administrators not doing anything about it.

I believe that by the year 2100, there will be so few sports fans that the number of people sitting in the stadiums will only be in the hundreds, the low hundreds.

Then what?

Oh wait! Don't tell me! Let me guess!

All the remaining sports fans will write to Congress, assuming they can read and write that is, or they'll have the coaches do the writing for them, demanding that attendance at sporting events be mandatory, and that we have to pay to attend these sporting events, and if we refuse, you'll have the police go into our homes, and round us up, and take us to the sporting events in handcuffs, and the money we will owe will be taken out of our checks!

I know how you guys think, if one can call that thinking.

Oh boy! I'm really going to love being here at these forums.

I actually hope more jocks or pro-sports fans come here to this forum to debate with us so that I may have the ultimate pleasure of tearing you monkey-boys a new one!!!

But that is highly unlikely since most jocks and sports fans can't read or write anyway.

Gee! I'm really going to love being here! :D
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Ray
Site Admin

Post by Ray »

Right on, Fat Man! Tell 'em like it is! :)

I Hope We Lose!