This website contradicts itself

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
lmc850
Sports Bore

This website contradicts itself

Post by lmc850 »

In the main paragraph it says it supports "shhoting hoopsin the driveway or the local softball game". But it also says on the title that it is "dedicated to the eradication of sports". Now if you eradicated sports, you would eradicate that local softball game and shooting hoops in the driveway, wouldn't you?
Ray
Site Admin

Re: This website contradicts itself

Post by Ray »

Apparently, despite dozens of pages of explanation, you still don't understand.

The very paragraph you're talking about, on our very first page, explains the difference.

Shooting hoops in the driveway or playing softball at church are not sports -in that they are activities that we actually accomplish ourselves because we want to.

Sports are events where sheep pay to sit and watch other people play ball.

Sports are what blares out of a TV in sports bar, drowning out any hope of a conversation.

Sports are what are used as an excuse for bad behavior by crowds of hooligans whether their team wins or loses.

Sports are that thing that, as men, we must love and devote our conversations to or be considered an oddball or homosexual.

Sports are what are forced on us when we're made to participate in PE.

Sports are what drains funding from other, more worthy pursuits at school.

Sports are what diminishes the city coffers when screaming mongoloids demand a new stadium be built at taxpayer expense.

Sports are what earns students special treatment in school and excludes the weak.

Sports are what powerless people use to claim they accomplished something when "their" team wins.

Sports are boring spectator events that completely saturate the airwaves and jam every channel and clutter up the newspapers.

Sports are a distraction at school and detract from school's real purpose: education.

Sports are what is used to get subhumans into college to play for college teams.

Sports are the lowest common denominator.

I Hope We Lose!
Detroitsportsfan08
Sports Bore

Post by Detroitsportsfan08 »

Bottom line....If sports in schools were to go away crime and kids getting into trouble would go way up.
blackdog4444

Post by blackdog4444 »

Well I have a plausible statement that contradicts that, DSF. Kids use sports as an excuse to go hang out with their "buddies", but, like many do, they probably LIE. That's right - LIE. They probably go to that "really cool place everyone is raving about" and may even smoke one or take a sip of Milwaukee instead of hanging out with the rest of the monkey boys that escaped out of the zoo. Maybe they're even beating up someone or shoplifting? You wouldn't know since we can't put cameras on every suspect in the neighborhood, let alone a whole school.
Fitz301

Post by Fitz301 »

Detroitsportsfan08 wrote:Bottom line....If sports in schools were to go away crime and kids getting into trouble would go way up.
Oh really? How many prison inmates are sports fans? The majority of them I would guess and the rest would be too afraid to admit NOT liking sports.

How many science or math majors are ever involved in violent crimes? Very, VERY few.

Now how many jocks with their "better than everyone else" ego trips are involved in violent crimes? Most.

I'm afraid you're a little mixed up.

Fitz301 :twisted:
You might be a sports fan/jerk if...
You've ever started a sentence with "Buddy of mine..." or "I got a buddy..."
Detroitsportsfan08
Sports Bore

Post by Detroitsportsfan08 »

When was the last time you were in high school?

The vast majority of kids that I know who play sports are usually good kids, and not screw ups.
Fitz301

Post by Fitz301 »

Of course most of the kids you know who like sports are good kids because they think the same way you do.

So by your standards they're good kids.
Fitz301

Post by Fitz301 »

But this is typical since in society it doesn't matter what an asslete does he's viewed as a saint and generally let off the hook.
Earl

Post by Earl »

I agree with you. I'm convinced that there have been instances when college football players have gotten away with committing rape.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
natmanhan

Post by natmanhan »

It does seem a bit contradictory but it's really just in how they define things. I personally call games sports whether they meet Ray's definition or not if they involve using a ball or racing but his definition works fine.
Millhouse

Post by Millhouse »

Detroitsportsfan08 wrote:Bottom line....If sports in schools were to go away crime and kids getting into trouble would go way up.
Nonsense and conjecture. No one is born a violent person. By that same rationale, I could argue (and much more poignantly and accurately) that competitive sports encourages violence, but you know something? I am not going to do that.

But if you insist on using your rationale, let's talk about all those loved football stars that get away with crime all the time, the ones the media shoves in our faces on a regular basis.

I seriously think this is the most ridiculous claim you've made that I've read here. Come on, seriously? You can do better than this, Detroit.
Detroitsportsfan08 wrote:When was the last time you were in high school?

The vast majority of kids that I know who play sports are usually good kids, and not screw ups.
More conjectural nonsense. Perhaps you would like to throw your .99 percent in there, and just say .99 of kids who play sports are good kids?

I personally am an artist, and you know what? I don't want hard core sports fans in my field of expertise, their competitive monkey attitudes would make the arts completely unfun and not worth feeling appreciated.

As for lmc850s original comment, I really think that Ray handled the explanation very well, I really don't have anything to add to that.
Polite24
Sports Bore

Post by Polite24 »

People don't become violent because of football.

Sports have helped countless kids in the inner cities stay out of trouble, and probably a lot of other places.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Polite24 wrote:People don't become violent because of football.
No, they just go out into the streets, breaking store windows, setting fires, and over-turning cars, and that's when they are in a good mood after their favorite team wins.

If their favorite team loses, then they really get pissed off!!!

Yeah! They're just a happy-go-lucky, bunch of good ol' boys out to have a good ol' time!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

sports rox1234

Post by sports rox1234 »

Sports have helped countless kids in the inner cities stay out of trouble, and probably a lot of other places.
They don't become viloent they become barbarians!
I think the worst time to have a heart attack is when you are playing a game of charades...or a game of fake heart attack.
Millhouse

Post by Millhouse »

You write suspiciously like DetroitSportsFan08. No matter, my response to this drivel is you missed my point entirely.

My point wasn't people who play football are violent, my point was football has violent people in it. You make it sound as if sports makes people immune to violent behavior, which is illogical.

Quit preaching we need sports, all of us on the board know sports are here to stay (we, unlike you, aren't that obtuse), and focus on the real point of this website...

...and that point is sports fandom, and all the drooling, mongoloidesque, rude, obnoxious, PUSHY, JUDGMENTAL bullshit that comes with having to be around a sports fan.

And don't try to argue that in order to have sports, we have to put up with the sports fan. Sports fans weren't putting up with us first, decades ago (even though we never did anything to them). That's why a lot of them are pissed off that this website exists.