Embarrassingly Stupid!!!

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Embarrassingly Stupid!!!

Post by Fat Man »

Now this really sucks on all four cylinders!!!

Check this out!

Embarrassingly Stupid Americans - One in Five
Believes Sun Revolves Around Earth

The title of this article, that an embarrassingly high number of Americans believe that the sun revolves around the Earth, is only one point argued by the Washington Postâ??s Susan Jacoby, in her attempt to prove that Americans are in serious intellectual trouble, facing a virulent mixture of anti-intellectualism, anti-rationalism and low expectations.

What else is signaling that Americans are becoming increasingly dumbed-down as a society?

* Reading -- of books, newspapers and magazines -- is on the decline. A 2007 study even found that 80 percent of American families did not buy or read a book in 2006.

* Attention spans are declining; Jacoby suggests this is due to television and videos. For instance, between 1968 and 1988, the average sound bite on the news for a presidential candidate dropped from 42.3 seconds to 9.8 seconds. By 2000, according to a Harvard study, the daily candidate bite was down to just 7.8 seconds.

* General knowledge is eroding. This is evidenced not only by the fact that one in five U.S. adults believe the sun revolves around the Earth, but also many others.

Yet, itâ??s not bad enough that knowledge is quickly declining in the United States. On top of that, there is an arrogance about this lack of knowledge, almost as if a good portion of the population is saying, "We know weâ??re ignorant, but we donâ??t care!"

Consider, for instance, that a 2006 survey by National Geographic-Roper found that nearly half of young Americans did not think it was necessary to know the location of other countries in which important news was being made. And another one-third felt it was "not at all important" to know a foreign language.

Why is this so concerning? Because â?¦

Fear and Ignorance Go Hand in Hand!!!

The more that you are kept in the dark, either due to your own lack of inquisitiveness or the workings of an unscrupulous industry, or crooked politicians, the easier you are to manipulate!!!
I guess those 1 on 5 or 20% percent of the population who believes that the sun revolves around the earth, they must all be sports fans.

Hell!!! Most of them don't even know what planet they're on!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

sports rox1234

Re: Embarrassingly Stupid!!!

Post by sports rox1234 »

It annoys me that some people are so stupid.There is this one girl in my class who didn't even know that George Washington was the first president of the united states!Even a kid in first grade knows that! Then there are people that are even dumber.Here are some quotes from famous people.

I owe alot to my parents,especially my mother and father.-Greg Norman,Golfer

Smoking kills.If you're killed you've lost a very important part of your life.-Brooke Shields

If we don't succeed we run the risk of failure.-Dan Quayle

Fiction writing is great,you can make up almost anything.-Ivana Trump

I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body-Winston Bennett,basketball forward

These people are stupid!
I think the worst time to have a heart attack is when you are playing a game of charades...or a game of fake heart attack.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

OH! WOW! I GOT TO RESPOND TO EACH ONE.

Here are my responses in bold text!!!

sports rox1234 wrote:It annoys me that some people are so stupid.There is this one girl in my class who didn't even know that George Washington was the first president of the united states!Even a kid in first grade knows that! Then there are people that are even dumber.Here are some quotes from famous people.

I owe alot to my parents,especially my mother and father.-Greg Norman,Golfer

Very good! I guess he's rather unique! Apparently he has some additional parents who are not his mother and father! He's probably some stupid deep-south redneck who addresses his parents as Uncle Daddy and Aunt Mommy!

Smoking kills.If you're killed you've lost a very important part of your life.-Brooke Shields

Gee! Like, I didn't know that my life was a part of my life! I always that that my life is my entire life! Well, I guess I stand corrected!

If we don't succeed we run the risk of failure.-Dan Quayle

I always thought that a lack of success IS A FAILURE and not just merely the risk of failure! Again, I stand corrected!

Fiction writing is great,you can make up almost anything.-Ivana Trump

Oh! So I guess there are some things that you can't make up! Gee! I didn't know that! Well, I guess you learn something new everyday!

I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body-Winston Bennett,basketball forward

Well good for him! I would hate like Hell to have major knee surgery on my elbow, or my hip, or anywhere else but on my knee! WOW! This guy sounds like he had major knee surgery on his brain, or rather, on the shit he has for brains, by some quake among witch doctors!!!

These people are stupid!
No they're not!

I'm the stupid dumb-ass!

These people just taught me something new, something that I never knew before!

Yeah! These people must be smart, because they're rich and I'm living in virtual poverty, even though I scored 150 point on a standard IQ test at the age of 13 and I was already reading at adult level when I was only in the third grade!

STUPID ME!!!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

sports rox1234

Post by sports rox1234 »

I don't want to sound stupid but I know I am going to.Are you making fun of what I posted or are you agreeing with what I posted? Just please don't call me a dumbass or anything like that. I'm pretty sure you are being sarcastic though. It's just the end that confused me a little.
I think the worst time to have a heart attack is when you are playing a game of charades...or a game of fake heart attack.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

sports rox1234 wrote:I don't want to sound stupid but I know I am going to.Are you making fun of what I posted or are you agreeing with what I posted? Just please don't call me a dumbass or anything like that. I'm pretty sure you are being sarcastic though. It's just the end that confused me a little.
No, I'm just being sarcastic! :D :D :D :D :D

Sarcasm is actually an art-form.

As you get older, you will eventually master it yourself. :D

sports rox1234

Post by sports rox1234 »

It's good to know that you were just being sarcastic! :D Anyway that is amazing that your IQ was 150 at the age of 13! Thats like a geniuses IQ!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

sports rox1234 wrote:It's good to know that you were just being sarcastic! :D Anyway that is amazing that your IQ was 150 at the age of 13! Thats like a geniuses IQ!
Thank you! :D

My mother taught me how to read and write before I even started school, and by the time I was only in the 3rd grade I was already reading at adult level.

Astronomy was my favorite subject, and I had lots of books on Astronomy, and during the hot summer days, I rode my bike to the public library, and while the other kids in my neighborhood were out playing sports, I was sitting on my fat little ass in a nice cool air-conditioned library reading books!

So, I didn't get a whole lot of exercise. That's how I grew up from being a little fat-ass to a big fat-ass!

And sometimes I can be a real smart-ass!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Hence, my sarcasms.

Anyway . . . . . . .

I grew up in a poor family, but when I was a kid, I actually thought we were rich because we had a house full of books! :D :D :D

sports rox1234

Post by sports rox1234 »

You made a better decision in life by reading inside than playing sports outside because you actually learned something. The kids who were always outside playing sports probably grew up and messed up there lifes because they became alcoholic sports fans. I know that the jocks in my class are at a 3rd grade reading level and they are in eighth grade!And they are so stupid that they joke about it!There definetly isn't anything funny about that. Some of them make fun of me because I have a college reading level. My sports playing days are over and now I am going to start studying more so I can get into law school! Hopefully I can go to Harvard!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

sports rox1234 wrote:You made a better decision in life by reading inside than playing sports outside because you actually learned something. The kids who were always outside playing sports probably grew up and messed up there lifes because they became alcoholic sports fans. I know that the jocks in my class are at a 3rd grade reading level and they are in eighth grade!And they are so stupid that they joke about it!There definetly isn't anything funny about that. Some of them make fun of me because I have a college reading level. My sports playing days are over and now I am going to start studying more so I can get into law school! Hopefully I can go to Harvard!
Ah! Good for you! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm glad that you're planning on going to law school.

You know, sports wouldn't be so bad, if only more people would just realize that it's only a game, and nothing more.

When I was in Collage, I did take a one-semester course in weight lifting, and I did enjoy pumping iron. I didn't have to compete against anybody else. I merely set my own goals and set out to accomplish them.

Sometimes I like to go bowling, sitting around with friends and having a cool beer while waiting my turn to get up to the alley.

It's fun, but I don't care to just sit around and watch bowling on TV, because it's boring to watch. It more fun to actually do it than just watching it.

Also, watching golf on TV is as about as exciting as watching paint dry!

Archery is a sport I would enjoy, or perhaps even fencing.

So, there is nothing wrong with sports in and of themselves, but only as long as people don't make some kind of a freaking religion out of it.

Games are suppose to be fun to play, and not a fucking war!

Anyway, just hit the books, study hard, and you will get somewhere, and you will have a useful skill that you can do well into old age.

Most jocks, they are all burned out and over-the-hill when they're only 40, and as about as useful as aluminum foil underwear during a lightening storm, or screen doors on a submarine!

The only thing ex-jocks are good for, is bagging groceries, or shining shoes, and they even fuck that up!

Anyway, I hope you do make it into Harvard.

Keep up the good work! :D :D :D :D :D

sports rox1234

Post by sports rox1234 »

You are right there is nothing wrong with sports until people start to act like lunatics.People should keep sports simple and fun but nothing else.I probably will stop playing team sports but I do enjoy weightlifting so I will probably keep up with that. I definetly do want to become a lawyer when I grow up. I just picked my high school classes and I picked a debating class and a class where I will be able to study famous court cases like the O.J. Simpson trial.I think I also picked another law class but i'm not sure. I am really looking forward to being in those classes!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

sports rox1234 wrote:You are right there is nothing wrong with sports until people start to act like lunatics.People should keep sports simple and fun but nothing else.I probably will stop playing team sports but I do enjoy weightlifting so I will probably keep up with that. I definetly do want to become a lawyer when I grow up. I just picked my high school classes and I picked a debating class and a class where I will be able to study famous court cases like the O.J. Simpson trial.I think I also picked another law class but i'm not sure. I am really looking forward to being in those classes!
Hey there Kiddo!!! :D

Judging by your most recent and more mature posts on these forums, looks to me like you have already grown up! :D :D :D :D :D

sports rox1234

Post by sports rox1234 »

Thanks! I guess I have grown up alot! :D I just don't want to grow up to fast there are still things that I want to do before I grow up fully. :D
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

sports rox1234 wrote:Thanks! I guess I have grown up alot! :D I just don't want to grow up to fast there are still things that I want to do before I grow up fully. :D
Yeah, I see what you mean. :D

Of course, naturally, since you're only 13 you still have some physical growing to do yet, but your mind has already grown up, so you have become mentally an adult while still in a kid's body.

But that's much better then being a jock, because most jocks will always be stupid kids in adult bodies.

Now, as for us fat people, we are actually giant babies because we never seem to stop growing physically. We just keep on growing bigger and bigger! Ha! Ha!

Of course that's only physically. :D :D :D :D :D

Mentally and emotionally we still become adults.

Ray
Site Admin

Post by Ray »

That's hard to believe. How can so many people be so misinformed when we all attend mandatory education?

Why would most people who don't know think that the sun revolves around the earth when they could guess the opposite? It sounds like they were prompted by leading questions.

I'm gonna have to look that up.

I Hope We Lose!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

Ray wrote:That's hard to believe. How can so many people be so misinformed when we all attend mandatory education?

Why would most people who don't know think that the sun revolves around the earth when they could guess the opposite? It sounds like they were prompted by leading questions.

I'm gonna have to look that up.
Well, most jocks who graduate from high school cant read or write beyond the 5th grade level, so they probably account for some of the people who thing the sun revolves around the earth.

Also, we all know the earth is round like a sphere, but I guess most jocks think that the earth is shaped like a great big football stadium!