Basketball

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
larrybird33

Basketball

Post by larrybird33 »

Has anyone heard of NBA Cares??? Maybe you can disagree with the sport of basketball but the NBA has a program called NBA cares where they help kids in poor comunities by getting them a better education and donating food and money and also building shelters for them.
RaleighRob

Re: Basketball

Post by RaleighRob »

Well that's nice.

I hear the executives of one of the major oil companies will sometimes go out and pick up litter. You know, one of those "look at us, we're not all bad guys" kinda things.
I don't buy it.

Just because a person or group of people I heavily dislike does something good once in a while doesn't change my mind.

Sorry.

Instead of wasting time in our forums why don't you and your sports fan buddies go and help this organization, if it's so great. You have our blessing.
Millhouse

Post by Millhouse »

larrybird33 wrote:Has anyone heard of NBA Cares??? Maybe you can disagree with the sport of basketball but the NBA has a program called NBA cares where they help kids in poor comunities by getting them a better education and donating food and money and also building shelters for them.
Lots of charities exist to help the needy, the fact that an overcommercialized entity like the NBA has one only tells me they've got more money than they know what to do with.

So, they give a little bit of cash here and there to needy people. Always a noble cause, but I seriously doubt they bat an eyelash at the amount of money they lose from it. NBA is for profit business, so they won't be giving up money like the American Red Cross.
larrybird33

Post by larrybird33 »

why does everyone on here have 2 deny everything good about sports in your oppinion it may not be much its not sports that are the problem it is the fans that must have forced their ways apon you but thats just a guess because i odnt see why else you people are damaged enough to bash everything about sports
Millhouse

Post by Millhouse »

larrybird33 wrote:why does everyone on here have 2 deny everything good about sports in your oppinion it may not be much its not sports that are the problem it is the fans that must have forced their ways apon you but thats just a guess because i odnt see why else you people are damaged enough to bash everything about sports
Larry, you sound new here. My first suggestion is to read the opening paragraph of http://www.sportssuck.org.

Then go through and read some of the stories of frustration and awareness that we're trying to talk about. I know it's hard to NOT be judgmental of us just having come in here, but I've read a few of your other posts and you seem kind of open minded. If you read enough of them, you'll eventually realize we're not attacking sports as a whole, we're attacking some very, very specific aspects of it that we find incredibly intolerable.

Just remember when you read some of the things on this site that not everyone has lived the same life you have.
larrybird33

Post by larrybird33 »

yea i did read all of that millhouse but it seems like only a few use this as what it is but many people use it as a way to start fights....maybe i have no right to be on here being a sports fan but my teacher introduced this 2 me in a class called sports and society o in society haha im not sure and i think this helps me out alot because i havnt had a chance to look at it from the other side till now i just wish sports fans can see this as the same and sports hater can take in any logical oppoinions and not use then for juice 2 feed their anger
larrybird33

Post by larrybird33 »

and i guess the rob person is the leader but im not trying 2 affend and i didnt right that as a sports fan i wrote that as a person that cares about the world and anyone that cares enough to make some sort of action to help diserves at least some respect
Katrin
Location: Urgh! Why do you want to know where I live! Don't make me get the gun out!

Post by Katrin »

ANOTHER thread that tries to promote a good aspect of major-league sports to people who really have no interest in those greedy bastards and their silly ball games?

Oh goody.
Last edited by Katrin on Sun May 03, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best guestbook comment ever!:

I THINK ALL SPORTS ARE TOTAL RUBBISH. THEY SHOULD BE BANNED FROM TV. THEN ALL PEOPLE WHO TAKE PART IN THE SPORTS SHOULD BE PUT AGAINST A WALL AND SHOT AND KILLED.

- Glenn
Saturday, July 04, 2009
Ray
Site Admin

Post by Ray »

larrybird33 wrote:Has anyone heard of NBA Cares??? Maybe you can disagree with the sport of basketball but the NBA has a program called NBA cares where they help kids in poor comunities by getting them a better education and donating food and money and also building shelters for them.
Don't you know that a program like NBA Cares is just propaganda intended to make you believe that the NBA is good?

Here's the unadulterated truth: the NBA is a business and is all about making money. Like all businesses, it attempts to get as many advantages as it can. Advantages are stadiums built at tax payer expense (rather than at the team owner's expense), concessions for parking, vendors, etc. Usually these concessions are granted by the city council or appointed committee. In order to make themselves look like a benevolent association, the team owner makes his players attend all sorts of events and even donate a tiny fraction of what the team makes to highly visible charities. This influences the committee or city council (and citizens if there's a vote but usually there isn't) and makes it easier for the committee to justify granting the concessions.

It's all about business.

I Hope We Lose!
Polite24
Sports Bore

Post by Polite24 »

Haha...damned if they do and damned if they don't...

Yeah, the NBA probably knows that the NBA Cares doesn't hurt their image and can help them in other avenues, but don't act like they do it just for those reasons.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Polite24 wrote:Haha...damned if they do and damned if they don't...

Yeah, the NBA probably knows that the NBA Cares doesn't hurt their image and can help them in other avenues, but don't act like they do it just for those reasons.
Oh! Put a sock in it!!!

Why doesn't the NBA and the NFL and all of those other jock organizations do something even more useful, such as campaigning against bullying in our schools?

Why don't they clean up their act by banning athletes who are found guilty of violent crimes, suspending them permanently?

Their attempts to show themselves to be the good guys by contributing to charities is only a publicity stunt, and I look upon it as just another form of bribery. Sports is responsible for the declining quality of education in our schools, and for people living in poverty due to a lack of a decent education. What they are doing, contributing to charities and building shelters for the homeless is merely damage control.

Because of sports in our schools causing the decline in the quality of education, they are one of the reasons for people living in poverty in the first place.

If I were living in the streets and eating out of dumpsters, and if the NFL or the NBA were to give me some money, I would spit in their faces and tell them to shove their dirty money up their collective ass.

I would rather die in some back alley petting a stray cat before I would accept any charity from the likes of the NBA or the NFL!

And you can take that to the bank! JIMBO!!!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Ray
Site Admin

Post by Ray »

Fat Man wrote:
I would rather die in some back alley petting a stray cat before I would accept any charity from the likes of the NBA or the NFL!
me too!

http://writeorflight.wordpress.com/2008 ... %99t-care/

THE NBA DOESN'T CARE!

I Hope We Lose!
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

Win. :lol:
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Thanks Ray for the link to the article.

I always like to copy and paste articles here because eventually these articles are replaced by something else.

So, here it is.

David Stern Launches New Program: NBA Doesnâ??t Care
October 18, 2008

After the failed publicity program, â??NBA Cares,â?? amid claims that the program was disingenuous, an embittered and cynical David Stern decides to change the program to â??NBA doesnâ??t care.â?? â??I believe this program will better reflect the core beliefs and civic values of our athletes as well as everyone involved in this organization,â? began Stern, â??from now on, when people ask why our multi-million dollar athletes are politically apathetic and spend their money on selfish things instead of helping their communities we can look these people in the eye and truthfully say: the NBA doesnâ??t care.â? The NBA released several advertisements to promote the new program.

One commercial features NBA star Allen Iverson and Carmello Anthony as they walk down a ghetto street. A man who is being mugged calls out to them; a starving child asks them for bread, a crack whore asks them to save her from her abusive pimp. After hearing the cries for help, Anthony and Iverson jump into an Escalade, turn to the camera, give a goofy smile as they shrug, and drive off laughing. The ad closes with a black screen, the words â??the NBA doesnâ??t careâ? and an echoing laughter as the viewer hears a man being shot to death. Despite the shock and horror of NBA fans, David Stern issued a statement: â??Oh, youâ??re upset? Well go fuck yourself because the NBA doesnâ??t care.â?
And so, here is my tribute to both the NBA and the NFL.

This says it all.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Polite24
Sports Bore

Post by Polite24 »

Fat Man wrote:
Polite24 wrote:Haha...damned if they do and damned if they don't...

Oh! Put a sock in it!!!

Why doesn't the NBA and the NFL and all of those other jock organizations do something even more useful, such as campaigning against bullying in our schools?

Why don't they clean up their act by banning athletes who are found guilty of violent crimes, suspending them permanently?

Their attempts to show themselves to be the good guys by contributing to charities is only a publicity stunt, and I look upon it as just another form of bribery. Sports is responsible for the declining quality of education in our schools, and for people living in poverty due to a lack of a decent education. What they are doing, contributing to charities and building shelters for the homeless is merely damage control.

Because of sports in our schools causing the decline in the quality of education, they are one of the reasons for people living in poverty in the first place.

If I were living in the streets and eating out of dumpsters, and if the NFL or the NBA were to give me some money, I would spit in their faces and tell them to shove their dirty money up their collective ass.

And you can take that to the bank! JIMBO!!!
Where do you get this stuff from? It's the NBA of NFL's job to help clean up bullying, nor are they in any way responsible for it.

It's only a publicity stunt? What of substance do you have to back this up?

Sports is responsible for declining education in schools? Declining education? Really? More people are graduating from high school and going to college today then ever before.

And in what way is sports responsible for people not getting their education? That makes absolute zero sense, the two are in no way related.

You truly have no idea what you're talking about. Stop BS'ing everything and come back with something.