Lumbered with a boring name?

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Lewis

Lumbered with a boring name?

Post by Lewis »

Lumbered with a boring name? Thank your lucky stars you weren't born with one of these: Anice Bottom, Kitty Litter, or Golden Balls

Renee Jackaman is not an especially silly name. But it is her dedicated research that got the ball rolling.

In 2005, Jackaman, an archivist at the Cornwall Record Office, produced a silly names list, gleaned from her files, which included such names as Philadelphia Bunnyface, Boadicea Basher and Ostrich Pockinghorn. Cobbledick, a surname from my wife's ancestry, was included.

I myself come from a family where first names such as Claudius, Horace and Sarjeant were commonly inflicted on my ancestors. It made me wonder if there might be other unusual names out there that deserved a wider audience.

Thus began my own personal Odyssey through Britain's national archives, parish registers, phone books and legal documents in search of this nation's silliest names, for a book that I hoped would appeal to our particularly British sense of humour.

It has, I am pleased to report, become something of a bestseller. Yet while I would like to claim its success for myself, in truth it belongs to those who people its pages.

So take a bow, please, Teddy Bear, Edwin Quack, Nellie Smellie, Norman Conquest, Frou-Frou Mallet and Oswald Beagle Pratt among many, many others - all of them, I assure you, entirely real individuals from times past whose names have been recorded for posterity in official documents.

You can thus imagine my dismay on reading, yesterday, that some of our quirkiest names are dying from embarrassment.

According to analysis conducted by Professor Richard Webber, of King's College London, some of our oldest (and oddest) surnames have gone into decline as families change them for something blander and more 'acceptable'. Goodbye, then, all you Shufflebottoms, Gotobeds, Deaths and Jellys.

The trend is, perhaps, not wholly surprising. A sort of natural selection may have eliminated some names: most women would prefer not to marry if it meant thereby acquiring an embarrassing alternative from a putative husband (an honourable exception might be made, here, for Mary Madcap, who in 1782 married John Bastard), and thus quirky names have died out over time.

The good news, is that as genealogy has become one of the most popular uses of the internet, more and more silly names from history are coming to light.

The frisson of discovering these names has, for me, been a constant personal pleasure. Surely, I had thought, no one can ever have been called Fanny Plenty - it's just too similar to James Bond's Pussy Galore? But amazingly, I have come across several authentic examples.

They are proof of the way naming fashions change over time - ebbing and waning when they become synonymous with various rude or inappropriate terms.

Hence the once popular surname Titty died out after about 1830. And why these days you don't meet many parents bold enough to christen their daughter Gay.

So where do these names come from in the first place? The uniqueness of some can be explained as an aberration that never quite caught on. For example, half a dozen people received 'Spearmint' as a first or second name - all but one of them in 1906 - while only one person appears to have been baptised Bovril (Bovril Simpson, who married in West Ham in 1911).

On other occasions, though, it is simply impossible to fathom the psychology behind naming decisions. Take, for example, Hercules Anthill, Large Bee, Rhoda Boat and Seraphim Hooker.

What were their parents thinking? (A superfluous question in the case of Lewis Unexpected Smith, Not Wanted James Colvill and Final Eldridge, all of whom I have encountered in my research.)

Nor is this exclusively a historical phenomenon. While the bulk of the oddities I found come from centuries past, Radar Oo, Princess Diana Frempong, Phoenix Claw Unicorn and Icicle Star Crumplin all date from the 21st century.

Before I introduce you to some of my all-time favourites, whose names are so bizarre it is almost as if they are drawn from some surreal sitcom rather than from genuine historical documents, it is perhaps worth pondering one sobering truth.

I spent months tracking down the names. You can spend a few moments chuckling at them. But the people themselves had to spend their lives with them.

Website: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... Balls.html

I am glad my name is alright, this reminds me of Hyacinth Bucket off Keeping Up Appearances.
Earl

Re: Lumbered with a boring name?

Post by Earl »

The only one I can think of is Warren Peace. And some benighted father in the States actually named his son after Adolf (first name) Hitler (second name). Talk about opening up your child to bullying!
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Earl wrote:The only one I can think of is Warren Peace. And some benighted father in the States actually named his son after Adolf (first name) Hitler (second name). Talk about opening up your child to bullying!
Yeah! Some parents give their children names I wouldn't give to a dog!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

sports rox1234

Post by sports rox1234 »

I have heard of a guy thats first name was fluffy! :lol: Now that is a horrible name for a person.
I think the worst time to have a heart attack is when you are playing a game of charades...or a game of fake heart attack.
blackdog4444

Post by blackdog4444 »

Hey at least they didn't name anyone "Spot" or "Fido". Now that'd be calling for a psychiatrist.
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

Lol, you should check out those names those Hollywood celebs give to their kids. More humorous then boring though. The only one right now that comes to mind is....apple.
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
Earl

Post by Earl »

If I remember correctly, Frank Zappa and his wife named one of their two children Moon Unit and the other Dweezle. :lol: :lol:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

Another strange one I can think of is Peaches Geldof.
abitagirl

Post by abitagirl »

There was a recent local news article that mentioned a girl named Marijuana.

Yes, the family was kind of messed up. :)
Yes, it really is JUST A GAME.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

abitagirl wrote:There was a recent local news article that mentioned a girl named Marijuana.

Yes, the family was kind of messed up. :)
Actually, Marijuana is Spanish of Mary Jane.

When I lived in Las Cruces New Mexico, I had a girlfriend named Mary Jane, and I use to tease her by calling her Marijuana and she laughed. She thought it was funny and kind of cute.

I also called her that because when I was feeling down, she would say or do something to make me feel high.

So, she was my little Marijuana. :D :D :D
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!