A friendly question to the sportssuck.org community.

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
WalterTheInquirer

A friendly question to the sportssuck.org community.

Post by WalterTheInquirer »

Hello sportssuck.org forums,

I'm Walter, and I've found this website. I would have just blown it off as a collection of people who simply don't like sports. Instead, It seems to be a collection of people who think sports are a huge problem with society :shock:

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a 'brain-dead sports fan'. I've played sports in my middle school years, mainly football, but I can say they were not my cup of tea. I will watch the games with my dad if I haven't seen him in a while, but otherwise I don't care about it. I also do alot of jogging, and occasionally I'll pump some good old fashion iron. But, I respect the fact people like it... And that in reality, if you think about it, there's nothing wrong with sports in the long run, infact I applaud the fact that several athletes have contributed to charities, and even if I can't care for it I have to give them credit :wink: Anyway, let's keep this civil please, but may I inquire why you folks hate sports? I'm willing to listen to all responses, if they are in a rational way.

-Walter.
Earl

Re: A friendly question to the sportssuck.org community.

Post by Earl »

Welcome, Walter! :) Unfortunately, I need to run an errand, as I and my wife were out of town for about a week and we're therefore short on a few groceries now. I'll respond to your post in detail when I get back. Again, welcome. :)
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
WalterTheInquirer

Post by WalterTheInquirer »

Earl wrote:Welcome, Walter! :) Unfortunately, I need to run an errand, as I and my wife were out of town for about a week and we're therefore short on a few groceries now. I'll respond to your post in detail when I get back. Again, welcome. :)
Thanks for the welcome, Earl.
Millhouse

Post by Millhouse »

From another post I just made, and I feel it relevant here to repost...

Even in my past, if I was forced to go to a baseball game, or sit at someone else's house watching sports (and bored out of my mind), even if I reach those really rare moments where I let my intelligence drop to try and actually watch the game, the fans will usually make sure to ruin it for me. Sports generally encourages drunkenness. Drunkenness makes most sports fans loud and stupid. And that usually entails delightful activities like yelling at the TV and throwing things. Same thing if you're actually in a sporting arena.

Examining the difference between a simple game and what makes it a sport helps too.

Example, I would say I like bowling, but that doesn't count. It doesn't count because I don't subscribe to 'bowling teams' nor have I ever played it competitively, nor will I.

I played bowling with my wife and some of her friends last year. We had general fun. And we didn't fret about our damned scores (gee, maybe that's why we had fun?).

In essence, maybe it isn't some games themselves that I hate. It's a certain type of people who ruin it for everyone else with a certain type of attitude...they turn it into a sport. I think it's just easier to say I hate sports, simply because you can't typically, in most situations, separate the sports tards from the people who want to just play and have fun.

Another example...to help me better explain this. Ever play croquet? I did as a kid. Never had any issue with it. It was fun. It was a game. It's a seemingly innocent game, and I wouldn't consider it a sport. Well, fast forward to my second marriage, people are playing croquet at an extended family function, lots of my wife's extended family are there, we start a round of croquet, everyone's having a decent time with it, and we're all laughing at our own mistakes. Two jocks who had been 'tossing a ball' off on the other side of the park we were in come over, drunk, and want to join in.

Totally ruined the game for the rest of us, as you probably have surmised by now. Had to turn it into a massive competition, goad everyone else, yelling at how they suck everytime they made a mistake, etc.

And this was a croquet game, for f***'s sake. A. cro. quet. game. Only a sports fan could ruin a go**amn croquet game.

So, maybe in working this out as I go, I don't hate games in essence. Just the people who support it with the elite extemist attitude that everything must be a visceral contest...

...and DEvolve it into (yes, you guessed it)...a sport. I think a sports tard has the ability to ruin a game of Monopoly if you give them the chance.
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

WalterTheInquirer wrote: I'm Walter, and I've found this website. I would have just blown it off as a collection of people who simply don't like sports. Instead, It seems to be a collection of people who think sports are a huge problem with society :shock:
Well, Walter. When I first got here I was just a jaded sports fan who was looking to engage other human beings in conversations about something besides the latest scores. Since then I've gotten swept up in the "sports are a major problem with society" aspect of this site, tending to agree with people here when they point to all the problems it can cause people. Although I don't think anyone who plays or watches sports should be hunted down, harassed and terrorised for playing or watching sports, I do now tend to agree with the majority here who think that our society is too sports-obsessed and that there are certain aspects of sports and the surrounding sports culture that weaken our society.

The thing about themed sites like this one, though, is that they present a distorted image of member's opinions and interests. We talk about our shared dislike for sports so often at this site that outsiders probably get the idea we think about nothing else. That isn't the case.
Earl

Post by Earl »

Well, I'm back (for what it's worth) ...

Walter, I don't call myself a sports "hater." Don't like the label. I've never ridiculed anyone simply for participating in one or more sports. I have a "live and let live" attitude. I realize that excelling in a sport requires dedication and self-discipline -- just as, say, becoming a concert pianist. Two of my closest friends played football in high school. One of them played football at the university where he earned his degree in sociology.

As for myself, I never had any interest in sports (either as a participant or as a spectator). I don't fit the negative stereotype that many of the more hateful critics of this website ascribe to its supporters. I didn't deserve the honor of being called a nerd when I was in high school because I did not excel academically (except for a few courses). (I'm 61 years old, by the way; and I've been happily married for over 30 years and am the proud father of two young women. And I'm not living in my mother's basement. :lol: ) And I'm certainly not sedentary. For several years now I've been working with a personal trainer at a local 24 Hour Fitness on a bodybuilding program. I love working out at my health club. :) The commitment I've made to build up my physique (which hitherto was scrawny) is permanent. I still have a long way to go, but I've been amazed at the muscular development I've managed to achieve.

I said I wasn't a sports hater. I'm actually a critic of the culture that is associated with (but is not inherently a part of) the most popular school sports. I believe each sport has a culture associated with it. The cultures of the different sports aren't all the same. For example, although I believe there are certain health risks involved in boxing, I really have nothing critical to say in connection with the sport because it has no institutional impact upon the lives of other students in the schools. In fact, I think learning boxing as a means of self-defense is a great idea.

I'm going to have to summarize my views about the sports culture. Of course, I can go into more detail later. This will give you an idea of my own views.

1) The role of sports in mandatory P.E. What some kinesiologists now call the "old P.E." historically has been the bane of existence of nonathletic students, especially slightly built boys and overweight boys. When I was a boy, the claim was made that nonathletic boys needed to take P.E. so they could become more healthy. This claim was a hypocritical lie. Physical fitness programs were never provided for nonathletic students. Nonathletic boys, in particular, were often subjected to bullying. I can present my argument in detail later. There is a movement to reform mandatory P.E. so that nonathletic students will benefit instead of being discouraged from becoming physically active. Needless to say, I'm a strong supporter of this movement. I do favor the retention of the "old P.E." as an elective for the athletic students and those who simply want to participate in sports.

2) The misuse of sports as a phony standard of masculinity, especially with regard to how such cultural conditioning affects nonathletic boys. When I was growing up, there actually seemed to be a social divide between athletic and nonathletic boys. (For example, about a year and a half ago, a childhood friend of mine who played football in high school told me that most of his teammates had viewed all the nonathletic guys at their school as being inferior.) In our sports-saturated culture, boys who show no interest in sports are likely to be stereotyped in rather demeaning ways; and the social stigmatization is all based on a pack of lies.

3) Preferential treatment given to school athletes who participate in the most popular sports. I'm referring to the issue of holding school athletes accountable for the way they treat others (for example, the Glenn Ridge scandal, which concerned a case of sexual assault). In this regard, the sports media seems to mock true journalism, specifically investigative reporting. Most sports columnists seem to be propagandists instead of journalists. One reason I feel strongly about this issue is because my sister did investigative reporting for years. I could see the importance of her work.

As I said previously, I haven't presented any arguments here. I'm simply giving you an idea of what my views are. There's nothing sinister here. In fact, I'd say the real sports haters are those among the sports crowd who corrupt sports.

Finally, I've been amazed at the hysterical reactions on the part of the majority of sports fans who have actually left messages in the "Letters" column for the year, the Guestbook, or the forum (as opposed to probably many who just shrug it off and don't leave any hateful comments). Well, perhaps I should change what I've just said to a degree. There are certain comments and images on the homepage that would offend some well-meaning individuals. I understand how they feel. If the home page said "Welcome Jock Haters!" instead of "Welcome Sports Haters!" I wouldn't be here, because I don't believe in hating people. Aside from one or more of the currently active members of this forum being capable of being unjustifiably rude, we don't pose a threat to anyone. We're not a mass movement. We're just the online equivalent of several guys meeting in someone's home to talk about politics or some other concern we share in common. Our numbers are few, but we're still quite diverse. We don't have a party line here; we don't practice groupthink.

Anyway, I'm all for civility. I have no desire to be a keyboard kommando.

Best regards and all that. :wink:

P.S. By the way, each one of your posts so far has had to be approved by me as a moderator before it was displayed for the other members to read. I don't know how many more of your posts I'll have to approve. Unfortunately, this hampers interaction between you and the other members until you have posted the requisite number of posts to be recognized as a genuine member instead of a spammer. Sorry about that. We've had to take this measure because we've been besieged by spammers for about a year, it seems. In the meantime, please be patient and wait for your posts to be approved.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related