FAILING SCHOOLS WILL DRAG THE ECONOMY DOWN WITH THEM!!!

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

FAILING SCHOOLS WILL DRAG THE ECONOMY DOWN WITH THEM!!!

Post by Fat Man »

I subscribe to Salon Newsletter, an excellent source of NEWS in the internet.

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/featu ... t_open2010
Topic:
Education

Failing schools will drag the economy down with them
Our schools create a kind of capital more important than anything Goldman Sachs produces, and they need our help
Monday, Mar 8, 2010 15:09 EST
By Robert Reich

Any day now, the Obama administration will announce $4.35 billion in extra federal funds for under-performing public schools. Thatâ??s fine, but relative to the financial squeeze all the nationâ??s public schools now face it's a cruel joke. The recession has ravaged state and local budgets, most of which arenâ??t allowed to run deficits. Thatâ??s meant major cuts in public schools and universities, and a giant future deficit in the education of our people.

Across America, schools are laying off thousands of teachers. Classrooms that had contained 20 to 25 students are now crammed with 30 or more. School years have been shortened. Some school districts are moving to four-day school weeks. After-school programs have been canceled; music and art classes, terminated. Even history is being chucked.

Pre-K programs have been shut down. Community colleges are reducing their course offerings and admitting fewer students. Public universities, like the one I teach at, have raised tuitions and fees. That means many qualified students wonâ??t be attending. Last year the nation committed $700 billion to bail out Wall Street banks, the engines of Americaâ??s financial capital, because we were told weâ??d face economic Armageddon if we didnâ??t.

Weâ??ve got our priorities backwards. Our schools are the engines of our human capital, and if we donâ??t bail out public education we face a bigger economic Armageddon years from now. Financial capital moves instantly around the globe to wherever it can earn the best return. Human capital -- the skills and insights of our people -- is the one resource thatâ??s uniquely American, on which our future living standards uniquely depend.

Starting immediately, the federal government should give states and local governments interest-free loans to make up for all school and university budget shortfalls. The loans can be repaid when the recession is over and local and state tax revenues revive. Over the longer term we must shift incentives away from financial capital toward human capital. A tiny one half of one percent tax on all financial transactions would generate about $200 billion a year, according to the Economic Policy Institute. That might put a crimp on Wall Street bonuses but itâ??s enough to fund early childhood education, smaller K-12 classes, and lower tuitons and fees for public higher education.

The Street's financial capital is important to the American economy, but over the long term the classroomâ??s human capital is absolutely crucial.
Yeah! Art and music classes are being canceled, but NOT sports!

Art and music is almost as essential as science and math, because art and music enriches our culture and culture has a civilizing influence on the human race, while sports only teaches aggression and brutality, another words, uncivilized behavior.

History is also important.

Of course, since we live in a complex technological society, science and math should always be given top priority. But history is also very important.

When I was in school, science was my favorite subject, especially Astronomy.

Now, many of my history classes were kind of boring because it was mostly wrote memorization of names of people and places, and dates. But there are ways to make history classes more exciting.

During summer vacations, I would go to the public library to check out books and I would come home with a load of library books, mostly Astronomy.

But one does not read up on Astronomy without also getting some history along with it.

When I read about how Copernicus back in the 1500s came out with his theory of the sun-centered solar system verses the earth-centered system (the Helio-centric verses the Geo-centric system) I also learned that when Copernicus wrote his book titled De revolutionibus orbium coelestium (On the Revolutions of the Celestial Spheres) he did not have his book published until shortly before his death in 1543, because he knew that once published it would be a source of controversy.

Back then, the Roman Catholic Church held to the belief that the sun and the planets revolved around the earth, while Copernicus said the earth and all the planets revolved around the sun while only the moon revolved around the earth.

Copernicus died after his book was published, and he was found laying peacefully on his back on his bed with the first published copy of his book in his hands.

Then in the 1600s Galileo was the first astronomer to use a telescope shortly after the invention of the "optik glass" as it was called back then. He saw that Venus went through phases just like the moon going from a thin crescent to full phase and back to crescent phase again. This proved that Venus revolved around the sun and NOT around the earth. He also discovered that Jupiter had four moons revolving around it. All of his observations proved that the earth and all the planets revolved around the sun. Galileo also published his observatons.

Galileo's observations and theories cause quit a controversy and got him into a lot of trouble with the top officials in the Catholic Church and The Holy Office. He was brought before the Inquisition, charged for the crime of heresy, interrogated for many hours, was even threatened with torture which of course wasn't carried out, but he was forced to sign a confession saying that his assertions that the earth and planets revolved around the sun were in error. After he recanted, he was placed under house arrest for the remainder of his life.

Also, the writings of Copernicus and Galileo were placed on the index of forbidden literature by the Holy Office of the Roman Catholic Church. It was not until 1979 when the Catholic Church finally apologized for what they did to Galileo and officially pardoned him.

Yeah! too little too late!!!

So, one can not read about Astronomy without also getting some history along with it. And it was from reading about Astronomy, and the history of Astronomy, that I learned about the Inquisition and The Holy Office.

And so, I started checking out any books that I could find in public libraries about the Inquisition. I never learned anything about the Inquisition in history classes when I went to school, so I had to go to the public libraries and the University library at NMSU when I was living in Las Cruces New Mexico.

The Inquisition has a long bloody history from about 1100 to about 1830 and during that 730 year period of history, over 60 million innocent people were either tortured to death, or burned at the stake or executed in other ways. The Inquisition officially ended in 1830 with the last person being burned at the stake for witchcraft in Mexico.

As I had mentioned so many times before, I'm in the process of converting to Judaism and I go the Synagogue on Saturday mornings for Torah studies and Shabbot services.

Anyway . . . . . one of the members of my congregation, his great grandfather living in Mexico was accused of witchcraft and executed sometime after 1830 when the Inquisition was to be officially over. So, I actually know somebody who's ancestor was falsely wrongly of witchcraft and burned at the stake after 1830, and I have heard of a couple more cases that occurred after 1830 when the Inqusition was supposed to be officially over.

So, I really don't believe that the Inquisition is really over yet. Not by a long shot!

There was McCarthyism back in the 1950s and a lot of innocent people were falsely accused of being communists. McCarthyism was just another "witch hunt" a modern latter day Inquisition of sorts.

No, it's very important to continue teaching history in school, because we need to know where we came from, and who our ancestors were. But what we need in not the white-washed accounts of history as taught in our schools, but the deep dark aspects of our past.

So, I scrounge around in the history section of our libraries and I like to dig up the dirt and throw it in people's faces and rub their noses in it. I once came across an old book published way back in 1900 and the pages were yellow with age. It was titled, "A Short History Of The Inquisition" by someone named Ingersoll. The title was a misnomer because it was anything but a short history. The book had over 2000 pages.

History should not be dropped from the school curriculum. If school budgets are tight, and they're dropping art and music, then they should also drop sports and start firing athletic coaches.

History is obviously very important. Not the white-washed versions as presently taught in our schools, but the deep dark dirty version with the whole rotten truth!

Those who don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

sparkle

Re: FAILING SCHOOLS WILL DRAG THE ECONOMY DOWN WITH THEM!!!

Post by sparkle »

The good news is the article is noting and taking offense to that, right? :) Nice to see u back.
* I always had hopes of being a big star. But as you get older, you aim a little lower. Everybody wants to make an impression, some mark upon the world. Then you think, you've made a mark on the world if you just get through it, and a few people remember your name. Then you've left a mark. You don't have to bend the whole world. I think it's better to just enjoy it. Pay your dues, and just enjoy it. If you shoot an arrow and it goes real high, hooray for you.*
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

[I'm not sure if this one's on-topic; that's why I submitted the second one, to make my response a bit more relevant to the original post. But I may have the wrong impression about this one.]

Again, this is another example of how sports are being given too much importance in today's society. People forget where their real priorities lie, such as educating the younger generation of the world in which they live! But I guess this seems to be more of a problem in America than here in England. Our version of football seems to demand far less prestige and physical strength than yours. The football (or soccer) players round here do tend to be more popular than non-sports players but the gaps on the social scale between "jocks" and "nerds" are far more evident and divisive in America.

Education is declining today, I agree with that. More people are passing exams with flying colours than ever before - it's happening over here and that is a result of the exam papers being dumbed down, not people getting smarter as the papers would have you think. I think you would see a significant difference if you compared a GCSE paper of this or last year to its equivalent, an O-Level, from about 25-30 years ago. But I would not put it all down to sports. Probably just complacency or sympathy on the part of the examining boards.

Best regards,
i_like_1981
Last edited by i_like_1981 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

sparkle wrote:The good news is the article is noting and taking offense to that, right? :) Nice to see u back.
Did he ever leave? I don't think so. Perhaps you're on here more than anyone else! I know this place can be addicted.
I see that is your 82nd post, sparkle. Shame... I missed your 81st. Perhaps one day you will reach your 1981st... I hope you contact me then to tell me. I wouldn't want to miss it. It's definitely a possibility.
Now, to answer the original post, I think History is absolutely vital. I should know, I practically live in the past with all this 80's stuff and avoiding the new music. But I also enjoy studying the various stages our civilisation has been through and realising what a tale we, as a world of people through thousands of years of time, have got to tell. There is always something new to discover in the rich depths of the past. The past holds many mysteries still yet to be discovered. It always fascinated me far more than the future.
In 1982 they said that by last decade there would be over 1,000 people living on the moon.
And look at where that's gone. Who the hell talks about travelling to the moon now? Space exploration may be a common theme of science fiction tales set in the distant future but from what I've seen the whole thing seems to be more history than current affairs. The days when space travel was hot news died out before I was born.
Nowadays people don't think beyond the world they live in and much before or after the present day. It's only about them, and now, and how to better themselves. I lose faith in the modern age easily. People are too self-satisfied and smug. They think that because we've made mistakes in the past and got over them, nothing will ever happen again to challenge the terror of such awful times like WWII.
Only by studying our past can we help ourselves for the future. And though much of the past is uncovered and well-known worldwide there is always more to be found out. The past is an endless treasure trove, but it's a mixed bag too. There will be surprises, like old relics that could fetch a lot of money, but there too will be horrible shocks to uncover, like evidence of past murders. History is diverse. It spans everything. That's why I always had more interest in the past than the future, as really, do people care about advancing themselves much further now we live in the world of today? Is there anything else the human race has to do to take itself even further forward? Or have we reached the technological peak? Is there nothing else to discover?
And yes, when it comes to laying off subjects in order to save money, sports should be among the first to go. Perhaps THE first to go. Physical fitness is important but school is about broadening the mind, not the physical body. Such things would be best concentrated on in one's free time instead of getting in the way of academics, the real purpose of education.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
sparkle

Post by sparkle »

Ha perhaps. He mentioned in a post he had been less vociferous because of feeling down. :) I was glad to see him with opinion again.

But yes, my 1981st post, just for you, loco. ;)
* I always had hopes of being a big star. But as you get older, you aim a little lower. Everybody wants to make an impression, some mark upon the world. Then you think, you've made a mark on the world if you just get through it, and a few people remember your name. Then you've left a mark. You don't have to bend the whole world. I think it's better to just enjoy it. Pay your dues, and just enjoy it. If you shoot an arrow and it goes real high, hooray for you.*